Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  11:05:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to know the US is not the only screwy place in the world.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  11:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the new Christmas decor, Siobhan.
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  11:28:48  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ooooo, I love the look of Christmas here. Terry put up the lights on the house last weekend and got down all the boxes of decorations and wrapping paper and bows. Guess it's time for me to brave the cold garage and start bringing in the decorations for the inside.

At least the snow is gone and it's not quite so cold outside--in the 40s instead of in the 20s.

And it's raining again. Gee, just what we need--more rain, after all the rain we had in November.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  11:57:33  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JKRisSuperior

I love the new Christmas decor, Siobhan.

Definitely! It makes the site very cheery.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  12:01:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you like it!
I was hoping to get a sparkly thing going on the banner, but we just put this together last night (and this morning).

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  12:12:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new decor is Most lovely! But almighty site-owner, can we do anything about reducing the flood-control timing? 90 seconds between posts is awfully long and we really don't have a problem with spammers here!!!

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  14:47:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh, Christmas decorations! I love it. :D

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  15:07:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about the flood control, AMC. Didn't realise it was a problem or that I could fix it. It has been set to 30 seconds. I figure most of us can't get to the next topic and post in less than that.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  15:59:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hee!
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  18:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I can.. but 30 seconds is way better than 90, thanks!!!

I need chocolate and I haven't been stocking the sweets shop, due to a small problem with having no customers. Hey, this smilie is really pathetic - I feel like giving it a cookie or a job or something.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  18:08:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a somewhat random question for everyone-- especially Jo as she works with kids so much.

Werewolves aside, have you noticed people's behaviour being affected by the moon?

The reason I ask is, Daughter is going through a rough patch of overtiredness, overexcitedness, and hyperemotionalism. Yes, she had a very busy Saturday, but things have quieted down now. Tonight is the full moon. This could all be cooincidence, of course, with Christmas coming etc. Just curious.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  19:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know from anecdotal evidence than people ARE crazier when the moon is full. My sister was a LDR nurse before she went back to Med school and she said they pretty much prepared for busy nights when the moon was full because they always had more women going into labor then. Sometimes I'll be driving and people will just be nutso and I'll wonder whats up.. and realize the moon is full. I don;t know if it's been studied but I'll bet it has!

I've never noticed it in my kids though - possibly because they are ALWAYS a bit over the top. It runs in the family.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  19:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One summer I worked briefly at a hotel. Every time the moon was full at least one of the beds would end up broken-- snapped the box spring unit.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  21:48:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siobhan, kids are much more active during a full moon. Ask any teacher and they can get wild. It's amazing how their behavior is affected.

My sister has been a manager for nursing homes for over 15 years and she says the residents can sometimes be unbearable during the full moon. She's had countless bi-polar patients go off during a full moon. She even went into labor with my neice during a full moon.

I've got most of my Christmas shopping done. I still have to finish my neice's dollhouse, which I haven't worked on in a while, and I have to knit a cowl scarf for my dad's girlfriend. She said she wanted one and it should only take two nights to do it, if I get motivated enough. If I can't get it done, I'll just buy one.

I got my Sesame Street DVD in the mail today. It's neat to see all the skits I haven't seen in 20 years. Big Bird's head is so small in the first episode and some of the other muppets look a tiny bit different than they do later on. Oscar the Grouch is orange! I didn't realize he was originally orange. I knew Grover used to be green, but not an orange Grouch. But it was the pilot.

My lips are so chapped they hurt. I have to go search out my chapstick. The dog chewed up my last stick so I hope I have some hidden somewhere.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 12/05/2006 21:55:45
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  01:11:55  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, you seem to be interested so I thought I'd pull some references for you:

quote:
1: Neurology. 2006 May 9;66(9):1442-3. Links
Lunar phases and seizure occurrence: just an ancient legend?

Polychronopoulos P et al.

The authors retrospectively reviewed all neurologic records of an emergency unit from 1999 to 2003 to identify a potential association between lunar phases and seizure occurrence. Overall 859 patients admitted for seizure occurrence were divided into the four quarters of the synodic month according to moon phases. A significant clustering of seizures around the full moon period was observed, supporting the ancient belief of periodic increased seizure frequency during full-moon days.

quote:
Indian J Med Sci. 2004 May;58(5):191-5. Links
The full moon and admission to emergency rooms.

Zargar M, et al
OBJECTIVE: The purpose of this study was to investigate an ancient hypothesis; the moon effect might increase incidence of injuries and hence admission of patients with trauma to Emergency Rooms (ERs) on full moon days. METHODS: During thirteen months, 58000 trauma patients admitted in three hospitals that had the highest load of trauma patients in Tehran were studied. Due to lack of complete data, 3543 patients (6.1%) were excluded from the study, leaving 54457 cases for further analysis. We selected lunar calendar for our study, so dates of patients' admissions were converted to lunar months and three day- periods with 15th as middle day were defined as full moon days. RESULTS: In our study the number of trauma patients was not increased during the full moon days against other days of lunar month. Statistical analyses of data didn't exhibit a positive relation between full moon days and increasing of trauma patient admission to ERs. An association between assault and attempted suicide was not observed around the full moon days either. The results did not show significant reduction of GCS score of patients on full moon days and there was not any increase in severity of traumatic injury sustained during full moon days. CONCLUSIONS: It seems necessary to conduct studies regarding the probability of moon effect through on different database, geographic areas and for appropriate periods in order to reach a conclusive result.

quote:
1: Percept Mot Skills. 2006 Feb;102(1):17-8. Links
Dream recall and the full moon.

Schredl M, et al
There is ongoing debate on whether the full moon is associated with sleep and dreaming. The analysis of diaries kept by the participants (N = 196) over 28 to 111 nights showed no association of a full moon and dream recall. Psychological factors might explain why some persons associate a full moon with increased dream recall.

quote:
1: Postepy Hig Med Dosw (Online). 2006;60:1-7. Links
The lunar cycle: effects on human and animal behavior and physiology.

Zimecki M.
Department of Experimental Therapy, The Institute of Immunology and Experimental Therapy, Polish Academy of Sciences, Wroclaw, Poland. zimecki@iitd.pan.wroc.pl
Human and animal physiology are subject to seasonal, lunar, and circadian rhythms. Although the seasonal and circadian rhythms have been fairly well described, little is known about the effects of the lunar cycle on the behavior and physiology of humans and animals. The lunar cycle has an impact on human reproduction, in particular fertility, menstruation, and birth rate. Melatonin levels appear to correlate with the menstrual cycle. Admittance to hospitals and emergency units because of various causes (cardiovascular and acute coronary events, variceal hemorrhage, diarrhea, urinary retention) correlated with moon phases. In addition, other events associated with human behavior, such as traffic accidents, crimes, and suicides, appeared to be influenced by the lunar cycle. However, a number of reports find no correlation between the lunar cycle and human reproduction and admittance to clinics and emergency units. Animal studies revealed that the lunar cycle may affect hormonal changes early in phylogenesis (insects). In fish the lunar clock influences reproduction and involves the hypothalamus-pituitary-gonadal axis. In birds, the daily variations in melatonin and corticosterone disappear during full-moon days. The lunar cycle also exerts effects on laboratory rats with regard to taste sensitivity and the ultrastructure of pineal gland cells. Cyclic variations related to the moon's phases in the magnitude of the humoral immune response of mice to polivinylpyrrolidone and sheep erythrocytes were also described. It is suggested that melatonin and endogenous steroids may mediate the described cyclic alterations of physiological processes. The release of neurohormones may be triggered by the electromagnetic radiation and/or the gravitational pull of the moon. Although the exact mechanism of the moon's influence on humans and animals awaits further exploration, knowledge of this kind of biorhythm may be helpful in police surveillance, medical practice, and investigations involving laboratory animals.

quote:
: Chronobiol Int. 2005;22(6):1137-43. Links
Influence of lunar phases on suicide: the end of a myth? A population-based study.

Biermann T, et al

The hypothesis of lunar influence on suicide remains widespread, despite the fact that little scientific evidence to substantiate it. We conducted a population-based study to assess the influence of the lunar phases on suicides according to age, sex, and chosen method. The study included all suicides in Middle Franconia between 1998 and 2003. From a population-based sample of 3351 events, the files of 3054 suicides (1949 males and 1105 females) were complete for the study variables. Data were categorized by lunar phase, sex, age, and chosen method-"violent" vs. "non-violent" acts. No significant relationship was detected between the full, absent, and moon's interphases and suicide incidence. Nevertheless, there was a weak association between the absent moon and choice of a non-violent suicide method in men aged less than the median of 40.2 yrs. There was no evidence of a relationship between suicide and lunar phase. Some explanations for this phenomenon are discussed.

quote:
BMC Nurs. 2005 Oct 17;4:5. Links
Are patient falls in the hospital associated with lunar cycles? A retrospective observational study.

Schwendimann R, et al

BACKGROUND: Falls and associated negative outcomes in hospitalized patients are of significant concerns. The etiology of hospital inpatient falls is multifactorial, including both intrinsic and extrinsic factors. Anecdotes from clinical practice exist in which health care professionals express the idea that the number of patient falls increases during times of full moon. The aim of this study was to examine in-hospital patient fall rates and their associations with days of the week, months, seasons and lunar cycles. METHODS: 3,842 fall incident reports of adult in-patients who fell while hospitalized in a 300-bed urban public hospital in Zurich, Switzerland were included. Adjusted fall rates per 1'000 patient days were compared with days of the week, months, and 62 complete lunar cycles from 1999 to 2003. RESULTS: The fall rate per 1000 patient days fluctuated slightly over the entire observation time, ranging from 8.4 falls to 9.7 falls per month (P = 0.757), and from 8.3 falls on Mondays to 9.3 falls on Saturdays (P = 0.587). The fall rate per 1000 patient days within the lunar days ranged from 7.2 falls on lunar day 17 to 10.6 falls on lunar day 20 (P = 0.575). CONCLUSION: The inpatient fall rates in this hospital were neither associated with days of the week, months, or seasons nor with lunar cycles such as full moon or new moon. Preventive strategies should be focused on patients' modifiable fall risk factors and the provision of organizational conditions which support a safe hospital environment.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  10:49:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today's Beccy's birthday and it made me realize I'm turning 30 in two months. I can't be. That's just so depressing. My dad thinks I'm 28, so maybe I can get away with turning 29 for a second year. But I just know my sister will correct him. Maybe she won't be count, either. This will be me on Valentine's Day ->

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  10:57:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool info, Myf. Thank you and you, too Jo.
I know for a fact that the lunar cycle affects women's menstrual cycles. If all it takes is a hormonal change at any given point in the cycle to cause changes in behaviour, then that might be one explaination for lunieness. I wonder if this is where the werewolf idea comes from....
I noticed Monday night that Daughter and her fellow karate students were having an exceptionally hard time focusing. I'll have to keep track of such things over time to see if there is a correlation with the moon.
I need tea. Ah, thank you! How about some chocolates, AMC?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  12:15:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So if you're subject to falls don't worry about the lunar cycle but if you're subject to seizures keep your eye on the moon?? What if you seize and fall simultaneously?

Edited by - AMC on 12/06/2006 12:19:15
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  12:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
30's fine, Jo - and 40's better. The only thing that sucks is if you want to have children and you haven't found the sperm donor father yet. But it's really great to be out of your 20's - when you look back, you realize you'd never want to be that young again. You'd take the body (!), but not the brain.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  12:19:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My menstrual cycle is insane, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with lunar cycles.

23 days last time.

*mutters darkly*

Martje, turning 40 next year, and not caring much, really!

Edit: don't talk to me about sperm donors fathers, that's one problem about being almost 40: people think you're too old to adopt a child.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."

Edited by - Starling on 12/06/2006 12:20:33
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  12:23:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martje, my best friend is 43, single and preggers with her first .. and twins (although it required substantial medical intervention to get her there)! You're not too old for anything.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  13:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You tell that to the adoption agencies! I know I'm not old, I know Ruth is not old, even though she's almost two years older than me, but adoption agencies are totally blinkered.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  14:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

But it's really great to be out of your 20's - when you look back, you realize you'd never want to be that young again. You'd take the body (!), but not the brain.

Amen to that! Thirty is no big deal. Just think of it this way ... it's ever so much more fun to look 20 when you're actually 30 than when you're 29. I just got carded for buying wine two days ago, and I'm 41. I've probably been buying alcohol since before that cashier was born. I love being carded, as long as the cashier doesn't say, "Wow -- I didn't think you were that old!"

My mother-in-law was a grandmother by the time she was 41. That's really young! She did help raise her first two granchildren though middle school, though. 40 doesn't seem to old to become a parent to me. Nobody bats an eye at a 40-50 year old new father; why should it be any different for women?

Edited by - n/a on 12/06/2006 14:13:00
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  14:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pesky Pixie

I love being carded, as long as the cashier doesn't say, "Wow -- I didn't think you were that old!"
That's me too. I'll be 41 on Friday and I LOVE to be carded-- happens very rarely anymore. My consolation is that I am more flexible (physically) than Daughter and most of her friends.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  15:23:01  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan I'll be 41 on Friday and I LOVE to be carded-- happens very rarely anymore. My consolation is that I am more flexible (physically) than Daughter and most of her friends.

But mentally you're a stick in the mud?

I get the feeling I'm going to end up an old-ish mother too.

Martje, you'd make an awesome mum to a little adoptee.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  16:14:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't look that much younger than my age anymore. I used to, until I got 3 years' worth of post natal depression. Still, it's a matter of attitude. Some 40-year olds look ancient, purely because they think wearing nylon and large shoulder pads is the thing to wear when you're that age ...

My ex mum in law looks much older than my mum, purely because she wears stirrup pants and market sweaters! She's 15 years younger, by the way.

Martje (black jeans, light blue shirt, chunky brown woollen cardigan, violent pink Romika slippers bought in the kiddie department)

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  17:33:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow - you can buy your slippers in the kiddie department? I can't even buy my 10-year-old's shoes there anymore - I'm jealous, good kids shoes are MUCH cheaper!

I think I look my age - don't really know and don't really care! I got carded a month or so ago - laughed about to split my ribs! I think the poor casher probably had a vision problem, I don't get carded much!

What's a market sweater?

AMC (blue jeans, black t-shirt and sheepskin booties)

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  18:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I buy shoes in the kiddie department. I always buy my Nike tennis shoes in the little kids sizes. They seem to last longer and are at least $10-$20 cheaper. My current pair of slippers are kids, also. I usually check out both the women's and kid's aisles.

I still get carded. I got carded not long ago for playing the lotto and you only have to be 18 for that. The woman said "Are you sure you're over 18?" I told her my age and she said, "You can't be. You look so much younger." I've seen some girls I went to school with and they look 10 years old than they should. It's okay looking younger until you get hit on by 17 year old boys instead of 30 year old men.

As for mentrual cycles, I'm 28 days exactly, every time. You can set your calendar by it. I used to keep track, but don't anymore. I know my body's reactions enough to be able to tell about two days before a new cycle starts.

I will be an oldish mother, too, Myf. My gram had grandkids before she stopped having kids. She was 48 years old when she had my uncle, and that was in the 1950s, long before fertility drugs. My other gram was around 40 when my mom was born. Even my mom was in her late 30s when I was born, so I don't feel too bad waiting. My sister, on the other hand, had both her kids by age 21. She even conceived her second while on birth control. Remember girls, it's only 98% effective . Evidently, good fertility runs in the family.

Edited by - Jokelly on 12/06/2006 18:36:37
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  20:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I buy shoes for myself at Stride Rite occasionally. The light up sandals are the best!

No, mentally, I think I'm pretty looney-- no sticks or mud here. I get lots of odd looks from parents, but kids seem to like me.

Had Daughter when I was 31.

Just thought of MrBen or diri reading this topic lately. Somehow I don't think they will join in.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  23:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We really ought to have a birthday party for all of us December babies. I'll be 45 on the 30th (yes, the day before Tom Riddle), but I don't feel old at all. Just the other day a coworker who's 38 said he thought I was younger than him. I just grinned and told him it's because I'm young at heart.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 12/07/2006 11:27:25
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.