Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  20:50:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just came back from the funeral home. My uncle passed away. He was my mother's oldest brother and nearing 80 years old so he lived a good long life.

Speaking of family, I found the neatest picture the other day of my mom's mother. It has to be taken around 1910 and it's of my great grandparents and their family. They all look so sad because people never smiled in those days in pictures. It's neat though to see my gram when she was around 5 years old. They all look so Victorian.

On the weather front, we're supposed get a storm starting tomorrow. Nobody knows about the snow, but high winds are coming first bringing 50 mph winds in the afternoon. They've warned on the news for everyone who has Christmas decorations out to take them inside. I hope the snow holds off because we're going into the city. I do not want to stuck on the parkway coming out of Pittsburgh with snow coming. I don't think we're supposed to get much though. The weathermen are more worried about the wind. I'll miss our past three weeks of 70 degree weather. My sister just finished decorating her yard and now they have to take everything in.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 11/30/2006 21:04:57
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  21:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo, ever seen Groundhog Day? We'd better get moving if we want to stay ahead of the weather...

Your comment about the severe storm on the way but no one being sure about the snow made me think of it.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  22:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in Texas right now; it snowed rather nicely today.

I miss Nuggy. When I get back to the UK next week I'll try to track her down.

I have a picture of my great-grandmother next to Von Ribbentrop. She was, shall we say, of a Remains of the Day frame of mind.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  23:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

Jo, ever seen Groundhog Day? We'd better get moving if we want to stay ahead of the weather...

Your comment about the severe storm on the way but no one being sure about the snow made me think of it.

Lol, itsn't that great movie. I've watched it too many times.

I just learned something yesterday about PA. We have more roads than the State of California, which is three times our size. Don't know why we have so many more roads than other states. And they all have potholes that can swallow your car. Mechanics here make a fortune on realignments.

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  01:45:40  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Jo, sorry to hear about your uncle.

Well, most of our snow is gone--actually, in the South Sound, it is gone. Thank goodness for that. I don't have a good car for driving in the snow anymore, so I've been stuck at home since Monday night. The rest of you are welcome to any snow that we had. And you can have some of that rainfall we've been enduring as well.

Diri? Whatever are you doing in Texas, of all places. Gone to visit George W's home, have you.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  08:46:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Eeyore, he passed away after a day of deer hunting, which is the way he would have wanted to go.

I think this storm is coming in all rain. Wind gusts are already startings. It's 65 degrees right now, but it's starting to drop fast. Then we'll be in the 30s by tonight. We're just missing the bad snow, thank heavens, according to all the weathermen. Maybe some flurries by morning.

How long are you staying in the country, Diri?

Okay, this is just strange http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15948692/. A man has been caught spray painting goats.

Edited by - Jokelly on 12/01/2006 08:48:57
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  11:38:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mother's stepmother negotiated a day with me, so I'm leaving on the 4th/5th, and then going back to London on the 7th.

I'm here because my brother and his family live here. My brother's an academic overachiever going to a hypercompetitve Texan high school; he's applying to all the schools I did, the difference being he actually has a chance of getting in.

He has a brother too (though he's not mine); sweet kid. Seven years old and seemingly very lonely. I spend a lot of time playing with him, though he does wear me out.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 12/01/2006 11:42:55
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  12:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your family's confusing, Diri - your mother's step-mother is there, as is your brother? And his brother, who isn't yours and is 7? Even the age gap between everyone kind of throws me.

Sorry to hear about your Uncle, Jo - but you're right, he's lucky to die the way he would have wanted. My mom lives in a retirement community and last week an older friend of hers died - she met other friends for dinner, went to bed and never woke up. We all have to die, it's the lucky ones who don't die in ICU, stuffed with tubes.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  14:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Um, yes, looking at that, I can see how it might confuse. I take the complexities of my family for granted; sometimes I forget how odd it appears to others.

OK...

My grandfather married my grandmother, and had two daughters, one of which was my mother. He then divorced his wife, and married another woman, with whom he had no children. My grandmother had several subsequent husbands, of whom I familiar with the last. He died a few years ago, and she has remained single since.

My mother married a Brit in New York, and they had me, but they were divorced when I was two. She then married another man (a Californian) and had two children. She then divorced him. She now lives in California with a third man. They have no children, but he has a child from a previous marriage, who herself has a child.

My mother's second husband remarried and had a son. He now lives in Texas with his wife, son, and one of my brothers from his marriage to my mother. Incidentally, my father also remarried, and has a son by his second wife.

My grandfather moved to Santa Fe, NM with his second wife in about 1990. He died a few years ago, and his wife now lives alone. I wasn't intending to see her on this trip (New Mexico is a bit out of my way and would require two additional plane rides) but she insisted, so after some torturous negotiations, we set aside a day or two in Santa Fe for me to visit her. That's about it.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 12/02/2006 11:24:11
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  15:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. I guess an all family get-together is too complicated to even contemplate! Santa Fe is a very nice place to visit, I hope you have fun in any event! Thanks for straightening me out, I think I get it. I feel so dull in comparison - only two parents (one deceased), 4 grandparents (all deceased) and six siblings, all sharing the same parents. 2 daughters, 5 nephews. No divorces or remarriages, even in my generation.

Edited by - AMC on 12/01/2006 15:32:23
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  02:35:20  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for explaining that Diri--but I don't think I'd ever keep them all straight. I always thought it confusing that Terry's mom was married three times. But it's fairly easy--first hubby was the father of the 6 children (spread out over nearly 18 years, between oldest and youngest), and died when Terry was very little. She remarried when he was about 4, and that step-father is really the one who was "dad" to the youngest four children who were still at home. He died when Terry was 13 and she remarried for the third time when he was about 15. His mom passed away nearly 20 years ago, and the the surviving spouse is the one that our girls knows as Grandpa.

My family was simple--two parents, me, lots of aunts and uncles on my dad's side, only two on my mom's. No divorces that I know of. But all that generation are gone and have been for nearly ten years. That's actually a very lonely feeling, so I started writing a journal with my childhood memories after my mom died. And mainly, I try not to think about it much.

And with that, I think I'll go finish that cup of tea that I poured a few minutes ago.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  12:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were driven out of our home yesterday because of the storm. The winds were so bad. In some places the winds got up to 90 mph. Our power went our around 3pm yesterday and they just got it back on an hour or two ago. It was only out on a few roads in my borough. They knew where the downed line was but when it was reported yesterday afternoon their response was to the guy who called it in "Well, we can't get to it today, we may get to it tomorrow." I called and they just say they had crews in the area. When my sister called they told her that it would be up by 6pm yesterday. She called them this morning at 5am and they told her "Well we don't know where it's down" and she told them that was a lie because it was reported yesterday and they said they weren't going to fix it that day. The woman said "Well I find that very hard to believe." They finally got it fixed. Not long after that my sister saw their trucks going up the road.

The dangerous part, besides live wires down in someone's yard for 18 hours, is we have a lot of elderly in the borough and everything is run on electricity so if it's down we have no stove, no furnace, no water, nothing. We don't have natural gas or even sewage and water. My dad has oxygen that he takes while he sleeps so when the power's out he has to use his emergency portable, but that doesn't last long. We ended up staying the night at a friends place. My sister was at her in laws, but then they went home last night thinking the power would be back up. The good part of this storm is that we didn't get any snow! It all went north of us.

Most of my friends in school had blended families. I felt odd because my parents were marrried 40 years to each other. No step- anything. There aren't many divorces in my family. I have an uncle and an aunt who were divorced and one or two cousins. It's odd because we call my uncle's first wife "aunt", but not his second wife. I guess because his first wife was the one we knew growing up. She's still close though with our family and even gets along with my uncle and his second wife.

Edited by - Jokelly on 12/02/2006 12:10:08
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  12:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, when will they figure out that digging in electricity cables is actually quite a neat idea?

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  15:45:49  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, underground cables can be better in a storm, at least. We have them. But the first ten years we lived here, there was something wrong, and we would have random power outages--usually not during a storm. So if we didn't call, they didn't send anyone out. Finally, they came out and replaced some of the cables and did something to the transformer, I guess. Anyway, it seems to be OK now.

But about 4 blocks from us they still have above ground power lines--and about two weeks ago one came down in a wind storm. They had the street blocked for about 5 hours trying to repair it. It didn't really affect us, except I had to take a detour to get to choir that night.

Jo, that's a really long time to be without power, when you have elderly people involved. Sounds like they should have sent someone out to rescue all of you, rather than just letting people sit in the cold and the dark. I'm glad that you had some place to go.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  16:14:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nearly everyone here sees the sense of putting the lines underground. The electric company says it would be too costly, though. I don't see how it could be, in the long term, when hurricanes and other storms are considered. I thinkg they would just rather keep their profits than improve the system.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  18:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Wow. I guess an all family get-together is too complicated to even contemplate!

Tell me about it. To say nothing of the recriminations. The social politics in my family would leave Jane Goodall screaming.

Santa Fe is a nice place to visit, but it's not a great place to live. Still, for a space nerd such as myself, there's no better place to see the stars at night.

Here in Dallas we got the tail end of the storms. It even snowed here, which was nice.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  21:58:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Jo - I wondered how you were when I saw the reports about Tornadoes in PA! Glad your power is back!

Yes, NM is a great place to star-gaze. All thqat sky - and so little around.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  00:51:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't even know about the tornados until this morning. They were about 20 miles away from me and was in no danger. We didn't even have any tornado warnings, just high wind warnings. Of course, I didn't have any power to watch the news so we may have had them. There are still people in the neighboring county without power where the tornado went through. We went out to the car today to go home and our friend's neighbor's flag was just shredded in peices from the wind. The only damage done to my house was some of the porch roof came down, but it needed to be replaced before the storm. That's getting done next spring when it gets screened in.

My parents drove across country one time and they went to New Mexico and her response was "I don't know why we fought the Indians for this land. We should have given it to them." She said the barrenness was like a different planet compared to the East Coast.

Edited by - Jokelly on 12/03/2006 00:54:39
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  06:08:17  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow, Diri - that's some story! My family is entirely boring - while two of my father's siblings, and my brother have divorced, that is it. My nana remarried after my grandfather died, but her second husband died a few years ago. Can you think of anything worse than burying two husbands? Poor nana. At least she had two wonderful marriages.

Guess what? I'm going to live with my Boy next year. I find this strangely exciting. I'm all 'He likes me! He really likes me!'

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  15:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay for Myf, shacking up with her boy! *dances*

quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

Bee, did you get the American version of Sesame Street?

I think teaching phonemic awareness in the U.K. would be hard with an American accent, and vice versa. It's hard enough teaching it in the U.S. if you move out of your region. I had a Language Arts professor from Texas who couldn't recognize certain vowel patterns because they say things differently down there. Oh, the fun of consanant blends and diphthongs.

Yep, I don't think there is a European version. Maybe they dub it in some countries where English isn't the first language. Sesame Street is great. It taught me that cookies = biscuits. And that, whatever you call them, they are very nice to eat. :)

One of my phonetics lecturers is English, and despite living here for years, she has the craziest notions about how Irish people speak. Methinks she learned everything she knows about the Hiberno-English sound system from repeated viewings of Darby of Gill and the Little People (isn't that the one Sean Connery is in? Because she seriously sounds like a Scottish person taking the piss). The other day she tried to persuade us all that we pronounce "pot" as "pat". And when we all repeated it back as "pot" to her, she claimed we only pronounced it like that because we were mimicking her. Ooookay.

My family tree is mightly straightforward and boring, but divorce has only been legal here for 9 or 10 years, so give us time. ;)

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  16:35:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of European countries do their own versions. They only dub the muppet bits, such as Bert and Ernie. They make up their own stories with the "real" people, and even have their own versions of Big Bird. Dutch Big Bird is blue and called Pino. They have a little bear called Tommy and a little mouse called Ienie Mienie.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  18:37:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bee, in the U.S. New Englanders say pot as "pat". My parents were up in New York one time and at the market and she was checking out and the woman asked her if she wanted a "bax". My mom kept saying "A what?" and the checkout girl kept repeating "bax" until she got mad. All the while my dad was in the background laughing at both of them because he knew what the woman was saying. The woman finally said angrily "A bax, a bax, a carryout." And my mom said "Oh, a box. You should have said that."

Oh, and you're correct. It is "Darby O'Gill and the Little People". One time they were having a contest on the radio and the first person to call in and name three Sean Connery movies won concert tickets. The first movie that popped into my head was "Darby O'Gill". Not very many people think of this moving when they think of Sean Connery. It probably wasn't on their list of his work.

Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  22:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl

My mother's stepmother negotiated a day with me, so I'm leaving on the 4th/5th, and then going back to London on the 7th.

I'm here because my brother and his family live here. My brother's an academic overachiever going to a hypercompetitve Texan high school; he's applying to all the schools I did, the difference being he actually has a chance of getting in.

He has a brother too (though he's not mine); sweet kid. Seven years old and seemingly very lonely. I spend a lot of time playing with him, though he does wear me out.

Diri, I totally understood that post. Then again, my family is just about as mixed up as yours. My father has three kids from his first marriage (two boys and a girl) and then my parents had me and my younger sister. And then my father's first wife remarried and had a kid with that husband. Now that my parent's have divorced, my dad has remarried again, so I technically have a new step-mom and step-sisters, but since I don't have contact with any of them (including my dad), I don't consider them family. My older half sister has been married three times, but has 9 kids by 6 different fathers(she had at least one kid with each husband plus some in between husbands). How's that for a family tree?

Well, I think winter has officially arrived here. The snow just isn't going away this time. *sigh* It's not much, just enough to cover the ground. I had plans to do some Christmas shopping in Marquette today, but they were supposed to get 3-5 inches of snow during the day plus another 2 at night. I wasn't planning on leaving until after 3 pm so I canceled. I HATE driving in snow and the weather up that way is nasty. Oh well, there's always next week-end.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  00:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee
..., but divorce has only been legal here for 9 or 10 years, so give us time. ;)

Wow. That's so mind-boggling.

Hope all goes well living with the Boy, Myf!

Jo, I've been in most of the areas of the US and I honestly think New Mexico is one of our more beautiful states. But some parts are hellish, especially if your idea of open space is large lots of green stuff! It's so dry there... it can be kind of scary just knowing how far you are from everything you would need to survive.

Edited by - AMC on 12/04/2006 00:10:09
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  00:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dad told me and my sister today what he would like for Christmas. This is odd since he's not into the presents and will never tell us what he wants. Well, this year he wants a bicycle. But not just any bike, it has to have no gears, old-fashioned type, and preferably a women's bike. He said he doesn't want to get hurt by that bar that's on men's models if he by chance slips off. After some internet searching I've discovered what he wants is called a "cruiser". The kicker is that he also wants a basket added. I thought this was an odd request until he specified it was for his portable oxygen. He doesn't take if often, but would like a place to put it for emergencies. I can just picture him riding around through town on a women's bike with a basket. Of course, it wouldn't bother him one bit. Maybe I'll kick in a little bell for the handlebars also.

Edited by - Jokelly on 12/04/2006 00:40:50
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  00:47:35  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That sounds like a fantastic present, Jo!

I bought my brother's Kris Kringle present yesterday - a chef's blowtorch and six ramekins. I'll include a recipe for creme brulee so he knows what it's for. He'll love it, though - he's into gadgets.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  08:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love giving Christmas presents. I gave most of them early this year, because I won't be seeing most of my family for Christmas. I'm on a budget though, so no chef's gadgets. Mostly books and DVDs.

New Mexico is stunningly beautiful, but it's also very lonely. If you don't have a car (like me) and can't drive (ditto), it can be very difficult to get around. Santa Fe only started a bus service about ten years ago.

I can't ride a bike, so I thought for a while I might buy a trike. It was a very shortlived thought once I saw the catalogue. They all had big baskets.

Edited by - diricawl on 12/04/2006 12:53:21
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  10:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about a recumbent trike? No baskets here!

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001013.php

Edited by - AMC on 12/04/2006 10:21:55
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  12:52:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My stepfather took one look at that and said, "Use it in London and you're a red smear." He's right, unfortunately. If you're a cyclist in London you might as well have a red target painted on your back.

Shame; it looks like a fun ride. Thanks for the thought!

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  14:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read a letter from a woman in the Independent. She'd lost her brother in a bicycle accident, and she said that more cyclists get killed every year in London than people got killed by the London bombings, but nobody seems bothered about it.

Lancaster is a "bicycle demonstration town", by the way. This means ... nothing. They've put a couple of signs up. That's it. No bicycle paths. You still get taxis and lorries trying to run you down. And they got MILLIONS for this. What a joke.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.