Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2006 :  17:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leaky posted a "set report preview" in MuddlePod? No, Mudcast? No, errrr ... ah yes, LeakyMug format. It's quite terrible. But anyhoo.

People asked if they could have a transcript, for various reasons.

I posted a transcript.

Melissa deleted it, rambling about copyright and stealing, and proceeded to tell everyone in the thread that they were insulting her.

So people replied to that (politely).

Melissa deleted the replies, and posted another rant (mentioning me in person).

I didn't read the last rant. I'm sure she's quite happy digging a hole for herself. The last three messages in that thread are her ranting away.

There have been a few supportive messages, which have been deleted, but at least I read them, and now Melissa's posts seem rather odd. *sings* Just keep digging, just keep digging.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  11:05:25  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry I missed the transcript. Where was it? I know what you mean about the "report" they gave--I listened to it. Sometimes I wish they'd try to be less cute and more like real reporters. It's a pet peeve of mine--Melissa is a reporter in her real life, you'd think some of that would carry over to HP, but she just babels on like a fan and nothing more.

Steve Vander Ark posted his thoughts over at the Lexicon and it's better. Apparently, Warner Bros is preventing them from telling very much. If you go to the "What's New" page and look on Nov. 24, you'll find a link to his report.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Edited by - Eeyore on 11/26/2006 11:07:39
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  11:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve's "teaser" report is great, I can't wait for the rest of it. That's proper journalism, that is.

Melissa used to write great stuff, but I get the feeling she thinks she doesn't need to try anymore.

Edit: Ooh ooh ooh, just got some tidbits from Steve! Ooh! *faints*

Edit2: I still have the transcript. It's on here: http://www.starlinguk.plus.com/martje_transcript.html

Edited by - Starling on 11/26/2006 11:50:57
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  14:22:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tidbits? Tidbits?

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  15:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sworn to secrecy, I'm sure he can hit me with an AK from over there.

Don't worry, it's not major stuff, it's just fun stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  00:32:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if you remember last month I remarked about Sesame Street rereleasing some of the first 5 years of the show from 1969-1974. Well, I got on Amazon because I want to buy it and was reading the comments and discovered there is a disclaimer and warning label on the discs. A friggin' warning label on Sesame Street! Isn't that the most ridiculous thing in the world. The disclaimer is says "these early Sesame Street episodes are intended for grownups and may not suit the needs of today's preschool children." Jim Henson is now rolling over in his grave. It was okay for a whole generation, or two, of pre-school/grammar school kids, yet it's not appropriate for children today. When I started Kindergarten I knew my numbers, could count, add, subtract, knew my letters and initial sounds, etc. I attribute much of this to Sesame Street...and my parents. I've seen a few episodes of the new show and it, to put it succinctly, sucks. I can't see how the show I grew up with had less educational value than what Elmo spouts daily. I've spend a significant portion of my subbing this year in Kindergarten and I can tell you that many students are not entering class with the skills needed, both academic and social. But the "experts" know best, I guess.

How many others remember "A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of buttah"?

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 11/28/2006 00:36:49
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  04:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me! Although I did see that episode when I was a teenager. *g*

My parents didn't want us to watch Sesame Street, goodness knows why. My favourite is Graf Zahl/Graaf Tel/Count von Count.

Maybe the old episodes weren't twee enough? I could kick Elmo for his gag-inducing cuteness ...

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  08:43:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Jo, if that isn't a sign that the end of the world is nigh, I don't know what is...

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  11:58:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starling, I was a Sesame Street junkie. I even had a Seasame Street dinner plate that I ate on every night. Growing up, we only had 4 channels--if the weather was great--so if we watched children's programs on TV it was probably PBS. I watched it twice a day, everyday...along with Mr. Rogers' Neighbhorhood. Around the early 90s, the deaths of Jim Henson and many long-time puppeteers impacted the show greatly. Since it just hasn't been the same. The show length is shorter and the format is now different also, claiming that today's children have difficulty following the choppy format that we grew up with. Can you see today's Elmo dealing with a death on Sesame Street like they did in the past with Mr. Hooper. I can't picture it.

I remember a interview with Fred Rogers before he passed away and he said that he was encourage to change the format of his show and update it for the 90s...to which he refused. Good for him. I know it's not on the air in some markets, but I think Mr. Rogers will always be run locally. It was produced in Pittsburgh. Western PA just might revolt if they'd ever take it off.

Edited by - Jokelly on 11/28/2006 14:50:22
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  13:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the world coming to? Kids today could well do with a good dose of Sesame Street: old-style. I remember watching Sesame Street on my granny's black and white telly - seeing Big Bird in colour later was like being on drugs. Great stuff.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  14:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bee, did you get the American version of Sesame Street?

I think teaching phonemic awareness in the U.K. would be hard with an American accent, and vice versa. It's hard enough teaching it in the U.S. if you move out of your region. I had a Language Arts professor from Texas who couldn't recognize certain vowel patterns because they say things differently down there. Oh, the fun of consanant blends and diphthongs.

Edited by - Jokelly on 11/28/2006 14:54:14
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  15:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trying to get non-Dutch people to pronounce the "ui", which is not quite a dipthong, is always fun.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  16:14:06  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hallo people! Just got back from Sydney which was hot and fun and horrible and hectic and relaxing and informative and damn time-consuming. And quite smelly. So I am feeling a bit muddled but oh so happy to be back home.

I'll be back soon to read.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  16:15:11  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The only reason I knew about the original Sesame Street episodes was because my college roommate had a pre-school brother who loved it. It comes with a warning? My girls and I used to watch it together and it was fun as well as educational. We also watched Mr. Rogers--I like the slower pace as I found when I was teaching that the kids had no attention span, and I think that was largely due to the sound-bite type things on Sesame Street. That was my only complaint about it.

Phonics can be a bit of a problem. We had a phonics book because our reading series didn't do anything with phonics. For the most part it was fine, but there were pages we had to omit or answers we had to give them--in the mid-west there are words that aren't pronounced differently:

cot, caught
Mary, merry, marry

Those are the ones I remember. And as I was from the mid-west, I had a hard time telling the kids of the differences. I wouldn't have got it at all, but there were two girls in the dorm from New Jersey, and one from Chicago. We used to enjoy comparing pronunciations and word usage. (Soda, pop, and Coke, as well as bag and sack for grocery shopping)

Seems to me we had this discussion on one of the now-lost versions of the old forum. No?

We've had snow in the Puget Sound region--all over. All the schools are closed, and most people have finally gotten home. Some were hours (3, 6, 12) getting home from work or from the Seahawks game last night. Nasty stuff, when it snows then freezes. And we aren't prepared for snow driving. A good many people just don't know how, and the rest of us don't have the proper tires or chains for it. Even with that, it's very hard to drive up a hill that's covered in ice--and we have hills everywhere.

The local kids have been out sledding this morning. We used to do that with our whole neighborhood when the girls were little--so much fun. I remember one time the county finally closed our street, which made it much safer. But the kids this morning were doing the same thing we always did--put someone at the top and bottom of the hill to watch for cars and then yell "CAR" to keep a sledder from starting when it wasn't safe.

It's in the 20s and supposed to drop to the teens tonight. I won't be going anywhere. But I did have to thaw out my hummingbird feeder this morning, and I'll keep checking it. We have hummingbirds that stay around all winter. Yesterday, I watched one sitting on a little perch outside my kitchen window--he was all puffed up like a ball trying to keep warm. Poor little thing.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  18:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
cot, caught
Mary, merry, marry

Those sound the same to me. To me the name Harry and hairy sound the same. I questioned my dad about it and he says he can hear the difference, but to my ears they're the same. If I sit and enunciate slowly and exaggerate the sound I do hear a slight difference, but in conversation most people say them the same.

A local amusement park has a lifesize trolly that you ride and it takes you through the Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood of Make Believe. It's very cute.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  20:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, MacMahon Hall food service won't have any trays left tonight!
Every time it snowed at UW, the fiberglass trays would disappear. After the thaw there would be a no-questions-asked pickup of trays. Residents just stacked them outside their clusters to be rounded up and returned to the kitchens. A good many of those returned trays had long scratch marks on the bottom side. I'm sure that had nothing to do with road down the steep hill that runs below the dorm- or the snow- or the love of sledding- or hate of studying.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  03:09:25  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I loved Sesame Street, but I agree that the oldskool one was much superior to what they have now. The Boy has a deep-seated adoration of Cookie Monster and when drunk he and his best friend break into 'C Is For Cookie'.

There's not a regional Australian version of the show, unfortunately. A friend of mine had Sesame Street banned in her house for a while when she was young because she was asking her mum 'Where's Barb? Where did Barb go?' Her mum had no idea who she meant until she realised that my friend was asking after 'Bob' from the show. Here, 'Bob' is with a very short 'o', and we don't sound the 'r' in 'Barb'. So her mum thought 'When my daughter starts speaking with an American accent, something has to change.'

Fair enough, I reckon.

Anyway, we had our own kick-arse kids show. Mr Squiggle! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Squiggle) Best show ever. The puppeteer who manipulated him was incredible, as he would use Mr Squiggle's pencil nose to draw excellent drawings upside down.

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  06:59:57  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

Ah, MacMahon Hall food service won't have any trays left tonight!
Every time it snowed at UW, the fiberglass trays would disappear. After the thaw there would be a no-questions-asked pickup of trays. Residents just stacked them outside their clusters to be rounded up and returned to the kitchens. A good many of those returned trays had long scratch marks on the bottom side. I'm sure that had nothing to do with road down the steep hill that runs below the dorm- or the snow- or the love of sledding- or hate of studying.

We used to do the same thing at the Univ. of Kansas. We had a couple of good hills and a few people actually had sleds, but one time we were reduced to using pieces of cardboard. The trays were fun, but somewhat of a challenge. I found I liked laying on my stomach on the tray so I could use my arms and legs for stearing and stopping. Our favorite hill had a few interesting bumps, and if it was really icy, we'd end up flying off onto the frozen pond.

Oh, and most of the sledding--"traying"--was late at night after dinner. It was much simpler to just keep a tray till spring, but that meant enduring glares from all the kitchen staff who knew we'd all filched the trays. They'd finally put up signs about returning the trays, but it never worked till the snow was gone. Some of our cafeteria trays were really sad looking.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  11:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand the fiberglass trays became very warm from the friction. Not speaking from experience, though. I didn't have time to go sledding down Paddelford hill. Was usually writing a paper or studying for finals.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  11:35:01  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't remember anything feeling warm. Maybe ours were just plastic--that's what they looked like. I'm not sure they even made fiberglass ones back in the early 70s.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  16:01:05  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
All this talk about traying sounds like a fairytale. I have no concept of snowy, icy weather, really.

It rains here, infrequently. Does that count?

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  16:31:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a hill that gets good and muddy? Maybe you can try sledding down that. In proper rain gear, of course.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  16:53:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We used to slide in the mud. When I was little my parents had the hillside dug out to put the swimming pool in. For the first summer whenever it rained it turned to mud. We'd get on our old clothes and slide down the mud. It was very fun.

quote:
All this talk about traying sounds like a fairytale. I have no concept of snowy, icy weather, really.

It's not all what it's cracked up to be. The storybook white covering soon turns to ice and gray sludge. It's dangerous and cold. Then in the spring when the snow and ice melt really fast the rivers get jammed and flood. Good stuff.

Good cheap sled is a garbage bag. I've used those many times. My preferred sled was the plastic pan sled, a round disc the made you fly like the dickens. Of course, your choice of sled also depends on whether it's a wet snow or a dry snow. I always preferred the dry for sledding, but wet is much better for snowball fights and building forts.

Myf, now I've got that song stuck in my head. And you have to do the hand movements with it,too. BTW, did you know that Cookie Monster no longer gobbles coookies like he used to. It's healthy snacks like carrot sticks now.

"C" is for Cookie that's good enough for me,
"C" is for cookie that's good enough for me,
"C" is for cookie that's good enough for me,
Oh! cookie, cookie, cookie starts with "C"!

Edited by - Jokelly on 11/29/2006 17:05:16
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  22:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cookie Monster eats carrot sticks!?!?! *faints*

This time they've gone too far! REVOLT I say!

You'd better not tell me that Ernie has given up his rubber duckie. Or that it's easy being green. Or that the Swedish Chef has stopped chasing chickens. *stuffs fingers in ears and hums*
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  23:09:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm willing to bet that the Chef now speaks real Swedish, to avoid causing offence to Swedes (or Minnesotans)

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  23:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cookies are now a "sometimes food" and Cookie Monster now learns to eat his fruits and veggies.;

I do know that they're not permitted to show any Kermit segments on Sesame Street anymore, since the Sesame Workshop sold the Muppets division to Disney. No more "News Flash!" How sad is that.

A great PBS show for young children is "Between the Lions". It's much better quality than the current Seasame Street and targets the 6-9 year old range. It probably has more in common with the old Electric Company. One school I student taught at had it as part of their curriculum. Everyday during afternoon snack they watched the show on PBS.
I now have the urge to watch "The Muppet Movie". Although I think I preferred "The Great Muppet Caper" more.

Edited by - Jokelly on 11/29/2006 23:38:55
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  03:37:17  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
On YouTube you can find Cookie Monster doing a rap about 'Healthy Food! Tastes so good! Boiled or stewed! Eat some healthy food!' Watch it, it's hilarious.

A doughtnut with a bite out of it looks like a C!

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  11:28:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love Between The Lions. Especially that dancing Dinosaur with the 10 Small Words you got to read on siiiiiight...!

It's silly to have Cookie Monster eating vegetables. Better to get a Green Vege Monster.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  16:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone planning on attending the Phoenix Rising convention in New Orleans next May? I'm going to be there and would love to meet anyone else who's going.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  19:17:14  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, no, sorry. Laura and Tim and I went to Vegas for Lumos last August. It was fun, but conventions just aren't my thing, I found. I much prefer the quieter discussions on forums or with one or two (or more) friends over a cup of tea.

While it was fun to be part of that whole thing once--once was really enough for me. There were so many interesting people there, and I loved hearing the presentations, but there were some scary fans that we chose to avoid.

Enjoy though--and I wish we had gone to the same one. I'd love to have met you, Theo.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.