New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  05:36:13  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
But how can the people in that medscape article claim that it reduces length/etc of colds if the studies they're meta-analysing are faulty?

I reckon you're better off drinking it as a tea too - who knows what the active ingredient really is, and besides, mmm, tea! Is it cheaper that way too?

I used to take a multivitamin and all it did is make my urine bright yellow, plus I never felt any different. So I am all for cutting out vitamin supplements and spending that cash on good food.

Get well soon, everyone! Theo, I'll have a look at ch16 tomorrow night, k?

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  17:47:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

I heard that Nyquil reforumlated their product a few years ago. It no longer has the alcohol content it once did.

I don't take any cold syrup. I have this regurgitation thing with it. I'm okay with pills and even don't mind shots, but please don't make me take a syrup. To this day I get sick to my stomach when I smell or taste anything cherry flavor (candy, pop, cherries). I blame all those years of childhood and cherry liquid medicine I was forced to take.

Nyquil does NOTHING for me anymore (it doesn't even have a decongestant now). I was soooo sick around Halloween. I had a stuffed head and a hacking cough. I used the generic version of Mucinex (a life saver). I'm like you Jo, I have the hardest time swallowing liquid cough syrup. I think I also bought my quota of products containing pseudo-ephedrine (for those who don't know, in the US you now have to show ID, sign your name and ask the pharmacist for the medicine because it's the main ingrediant in meth). That new PE decongestant just does not work for me. Plus, I had to go to Wal-Greens in order to find just plain pseudo-ephedrine. Wal-Mart and other stores had it mixed with other stuff that I didn't need or can't take (I have a prescription for Zyrtec, so I can't take any anti-histamines).

Oh, man! My Lions are getting their butts kicked....again! This is just sad, I can't take this anymore. I think I'm defecting.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  22:23:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bottle of Nyquil I have here has pseudoephedrine in it. Have they re-reformulated it? Daughter needed psuedoephedrine-- I had to get it at the pharmacy counter the guy looked at me kind of funny, but he got over it when he heard her speak.
I have to be careful what I take and how much. I'm rather sensitive to the meds. Kids dosage works, adult is too much-- means I can't take the time release stuff unless it's formulated for kids.
Looks like we're getting some winter weather before turkey day-- high of 48 on Tuesday and possible SNOW!

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  22:49:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dobbygirl, don't beat yourself up over the Lions, Pittsburgh is sucky, too, this year. We won today, but didn't play a great game. The Browns were nasty and didn't get half the penalties called they should have had. We're not even going to make the playoffs this year. Here's the rumor going around about Bill Cowher. He has one more year on his contract with the Steelers, but the Cleveland Browns have supposedly approached him. So the media, and everyone you ask, thinks he's going to take a year off of coaching because he's been making noise about retiring. Then when his contract runs out after next year he's coming back to coach Cleveland. That's just low. Pittsburgh will never forgive him. I mean, come on, the Browns...that's as bad as Judas betraying Jesus.

Still coughing, but I do feel human now and am sleeping through the night. The weird dreams, which I came to really enjoy every night, are gone. I was becoming rather fond of them.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  02:58:31  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, all I can say is--y'all need to get healthy. I could swear that we've shared colds and flu via the boards before. Any scientific studies on that one?

And the bad thing is, I can't take any of the stuff any more--I get nose bleeds from all of it. So does Laura. It just took me a while to make the connection. What can I say--when I'm sick, my brain isn't too functional.

So it's just whatever tea sounds good--that an soup and popsicles. Hey, it worked when I was a kid. Of course, I had to sleep on the sofa under the black afgan that my mom crocheted, which I now keep handy.

I probably won't be around much till after Thanksgiving. The dinner is at our house this year. Maybe I could simplify things and serve . Or, maybe not. Actually, this is what I'd like to do:

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  05:19:56  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good luck with it all, Eeyore!

I have had a topsy turvy day. First, I found out that I didn't get any money in the grant I had applied for, so from Feb I will be broke and therefore need to move out of my house and live on soup. I'll either end up with my sister or with The Boy; everything's up in the air.

Then I received some computer equipment which I have been waiting for for MONTHS. It's been holding up all my research for such a long time. Plus, I have participants to see this week when I go up to Sydney for a conference, and I was thinking I'd have to visit them again when the computer arrived. So I'm glad it's here, but I need to learn how to use and confirm what tests I need to use. A lot to do; I leave on Weds morning.

Still, Sydney should be fun! Won't get a chance to see Treefrog, though. :(

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  06:45:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about the grant not working out, Myf. :(

I'm on a tonic at the moment. My lecturer recommended it to me, which suggests I haven't been as subtle as I thought about napping in her class. I think it's actually doing me some good. Apparently, overdose could be fatal, so I figure it must have some good drugs in it, which is what I want from a supplement. :) A bunch of my classmates are on the stuff that turns your wee bright yellow. Not sure it's doing much for them.

I am fighting off this cold like a badass. Usually, when I feel a cold coming on, I'm congested and spluttering within a day, but so far, my symptoms are pretty mild. Woo.

My driving test is next month. I'm getting nervous already, which isn't a good sign.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  09:36:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are lucky. You get sniffles from colds. At least they stop after a while. Me? I'm allergic to the air. Anywhere, any time, any place, doesn't matter. I'm sneezing, coughing and snivelling from dawn to dark.

Eeep. Sorry about the grant Myf. I'm trying to apply for one myself (or at least would be if I wasn't on holiday at present); I have virtually no chance of getting it, but there are times when delusion is the best policy.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  12:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After posting last night I saw a commercial for a Tylenol product that said Nyquil had been reformulated without a decongestant. What a rip.
I also forgot to answer Myf's question about echinacea tea and cost. Guess I need some ginseng! I'm not sure about whether the tea generally costs less than a pill supplement. Judging by the prices of other products I would say it is cheaper as a tea. I'm not much on pills of any kind so I went straight to the tea aisle. The other thing is that I don't take nearly the amount recommended. I'll have one cup of tea in the evening (between my 32 oz. bottles of water). They recommend upwards of 8 cups-- eep! That's the other reason I think it is the tea more than the echinacea that is doing the trick. On the other hand, the echinacea is pleasantly citrusy (not at all like drinking boiled grass clippings), so if it helps in any way, that's great. If it doesn't I haven't lost anything by drinking it.

Had a lovely day yesterday. Took a family outing to a newly re-opened park in our area (Charles Town Landing). The weather was perfect. They have a few gingko trees that are still turning colour. One was 1/3 chartreuse green and 2/3 sun yellow-- really beautiful. All the cypress trees are in between green and orangish red. The camelias are blooming like mad. The only down side to the day was that there were other people in the animal forest (I much prefer public places without the public). That in itself wouldn't be a problem if they would just be quiet. It is a constant struggle to see any of the wildlife when grown adults are making so much noise that the animals go into hiding. We have to position ourselves between groups of loud people so that the animals have a chance to settle down.
When I was little my mother taught me (on long walks in the woods across from our house) to walk and talk quietly so that nature wouldn't be disturbed. We would have contests to see who could walk more quietly. Daughter and I did that too. Now when we go see a shore bird exhibit, for example, we can go in, sit down, and watch. The birds come very close to us. They know we are there, but that we are not a threat. It is a very pleasant way to enjoy nature.
Daughter brought her bike along and rode all the paths as we trailed along behind her. What was especially pleasing was to see Daughter stop and read all the new informational plaques along the way. Charles Town Landing is primarily a history park. They have a few archaeological digs in progress and have rebuilt part of the pallisades that used to be on the point to protect against invasion from the water (they were worried about pirates, Spaniards, and hostile natives). There's a colonial garden and house, the obligatory stocks and pillory, and a few cannon. Daughter read all the information she could. How many 9 year olds would be bothered?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  13:35:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myf, I'm so sorry about the grant. That's awful! At least you've got a couple of months to plan. Hang in there and enjoy Sydney.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  15:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeep! Sorry about the grants, Myf and Diri (sorry you don't feel you have a chance). So what's next? Can one do research without grants? Are they living grants or research-supporting grants? I don't really know how that goes anywhere else - here, you usually get tuition assistance from the University, especially if Mummy and Daddy aren't paying, and a few folks qualify for NSF grants and such, but they're scarce. Plus everyone gets student loans and then spends the rest of their days repaying them.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  17:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Research grants are to pay for equipment and suchlike, and are also the salary for who does the research. You become an RA, or a postdoc after you've done your degree/PhD, so there is no tuition, and no mummy and daddy paying. You need a sponsor (such as Shell or another company that could benefit from your research) or a grant from somewhere (the EU, for instance), or the research won't happen.

At least, that's what my experiences have been (not that I've been a researcher, but I used to be married to one, and my partner is a postdoc who hasn't finished her PhD yet (ouchie)).

I'm sorry about the grant, Myf, I hope you don't have to live on a soup diet.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  19:01:26  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Basically, I have access to research money through my supervisors. One of them attracts loads of grant money so that's not so much a problem.

For the last 3 years I have been living off a scholarship which covers living costs, rent, food, everything. I supplemented it with a bit of work but not much. Now that's finishing and so I will be back to earning very little but still having to do full-time study in order to finish. Very sucky. But then, there are people in the course who never got a scholarship who have lived at home or taken out loans to support themselves.

I could take out a loan for 6 months, but I'll try what I can not to have to do so. The Boy has offered that I move in with him, but we want to make sure that we move in together when it's right for our relationship, not just because circumstances dictate. In the long run I'd rather be poor for 6 months and continue a fantastic relationship than have somewhere to live but ruin things with him.

SIGH.

Anyway, I'll catch you all next week. Send Treefrog good wishes for the bushfires all near her house! eep.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  19:30:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starling, how long do they let you postdoc before you have to get the PhD finalized? Sounds like the same thing here for professional research and grants - I'm married to a research scientist myself, so that world I know!

Sorry Myf - but at least it's only 6 months and you have options. And it gives you a MAJOR incentive to finish up, right?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  23:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*telepaths good wishes to Treefrog*

Brush fires sound scary; I hope you and your family are all OK. Please let us know when the danger is past.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  16:48:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only six months to go, Myffy? Wow, feels like just yesterday you were setting out on your torturous rampage against mice*.

*sends good wishes Treefrog's way*

I'm still fighting off this cold! Yay for me!

Er, that's about it in terms of news. I'm way boring.

*I know you've done more stuff than that! The mice just captured my imagination. :)

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  22:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drat, DRAT, DRAT!!!
Does anyone know any good remedies or repellants for carpet beetles or moths?
Someone has taken a chunk out of my newly finished blackberry coloured jumper. It is going to be tough to repair as the chewed yarn covers several rows of a cable pattern. Of course it is the sweater I was planning on wearing for Thanksgiving.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  00:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siobhan, are you turning English on us? Coloured? jumper?

I read something somewhere that linguists believe that American English is truer to Elizabethan English than modern British English. The Brits have veered farther away from their Mother tongue than we Yankees have. Of course, they've never heard my Pittsburgh accent (which I still don't believe I have).

Happy Thanksgiving, folks. My dad's family is having their usually get together. We all get a community center hall because nobody's house is big enough to hold everyone. It's potluck so nobody is left cooking everything. Plus, you get a ton of variety. We're talking the turkey and the noodles. Then we're hitting my sister's house in the evening for dessert. She's working so her family isn't going. I just have to get up at 5am to put the birdzilla in the oven. It's a 20+lb-er. Then we have a nother 13lb turkey for home because my dad says the worst thing in the world is coming home from going away for Thanksgiving and having no turkey at midnight to snack on. But then we're a turkey family and have it much more often than the normal American family.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  00:27:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Noodles? You eat Noodles on Thanksgiving?

One of the fascinating things about Thanksgiving is it's as close to a "sacred" meal as we secular Americans have. You can serve what you want at Christmas, people get kind of cranky if you don't serve Ham (or Lamb, depending) on Easter but generally there's some leeway. Thanksgiving isn't Thanksgiving without Turkey and XXXXX <- but the XXXXX varies regionally. Some people make a green bean casserole, other people need cranberry jello. It's funky - apparently there's an American social scientist who can tell you where your families came from by what you eat at Thanksgiving.

I'm "hosting" Thanksgiving but since there are few relatives nearby, it's a small and mostly store-bought feast. I'm roasting the turkey and some sweet potatoes, my mom is visiting and she's making braised radishes from a newspaper recipe and the local gourmet grocery is providing cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes, green beans almondine, rolls, cranberry relish and gravy. Someone else is bringing salad and pies. I know - I'm a lazy slut but... it's better than being cranky all day.

Edited by - n/a on 11/23/2006 00:28:56
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  00:29:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh heck - that was me still in disguise, sorry.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  01:15:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, we eat noodles for Thanksgiving. Can't have turkey without noodles. My dad makes homemade egg noodles and then you cook them in turkey broth. No draining, just let the noodles soak up all the broth. It's a Pennsylvania Dutch/Amish/farm-type cooking. My family has been making them generations. My mom's best friend, who was Italian, and my brother-in-law's family both thought it was strange but they've since adopted the practice. They're the best part of the meal.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  01:22:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See, the only "turkey and noodles" I've EVER heard of is turkey Tettrazinni (sp?) which is some kind of noodle-turkey mess they used to serve in cafeterias.

Do you home-make your turkey broth? If so, what do you use since the turkey isn't a carcass yet? Can you buy turkey broth?

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  03:14:04  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Noodles sound good, actually, but only if I can have my Aunt Faye's homemade ones. I remember when she lived with us for a few years when I was little, she'd make them and spread them to dry on the kitchen table. They were soooooo good.

Any way--Happy Thanksgiving! We take turns hosting the dinner, and this year it's our turn. So, being the hermit that I am, I'll be glad when it's Friday. Looks like we'll have 17 for the day. And it's as traditional as it gets at our house. My cranberry salad is one that I got from my Aunt Neva a long time ago. She used to make a really good cranberry jello salad, but when I asked for the recipe, she sent me a different one. It's cranberries and sugar, mini marshmallows, ground apples, crushed pineapple, celery (calls for walnuts, but I don't like nuts in my food), and whipped cream, all mixed together. All of Terry's family really like it as well.

It's kind of nice this year--instead of having other people bring pies and salads and snackies, my girls are doing that part. Now, if we can just keep random people from hanging about in the kitchen while we finish cooking, we'll be fine.

Have a wonderful day, and I'll see you on Friday.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  09:23:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  10:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm having a nice time this Thanksgiving; my mother is a martyr to familial cohesion so we're actually having three family get-togethers in a row; one because four of the six grandchildren were in the same room for the first time in two years, one for Thanksgiving, which we're having today, and one for my brother's birthday, which is tomorrow. I'm all warm and fuzzy right now, being with my family. I don't get to do this very often these days, being in London.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  10:42:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

See, the only "turkey and noodles" I've EVER heard of is turkey Tettrazinni (sp?) which is some kind of noodle-turkey mess they used to serve in cafeterias.

Do you home-make your turkey broth? If so, what do you use since the turkey isn't a carcass yet? Can you buy turkey broth?

You can buy turkey broth this time of year, and we did, but we use some broth off the turkey (we put a bit more than chefs do on tv), boil the neck and giblets and use that broth, and we'll usually take the carcass of our previous turkey and boil it and then freeze it. When noodle time comes, we just plop that frozen broth in the pot. We still have plenty of broth left over for the most important part of the meal...the gravy. And be sure to pour the gravy over the noodles on your plate. Yummy! I'm picky though because my noodles can't touch my mashed potatoes. I got sick once eating peirogies and now don't like the combination of mashed potato and pasta. I love both, just not together.

Here's the recipe:
Turkey Noodles

For every one cup of flour, add a large egg.* Add a tablespoon of olive oil (or regular oil or melted butter or shortening). Mix until forms a dough. If really dry add a teaspoon or two of water. Roll out on floured surface and cut**. After cut lay out on a floured surface to dry (we sometimes put then straight in the pot or dry up to an hour). Put dried (or non-dried...works both ways) in pot with turkey broth. Have the broth just to the top of noodles, no more. Cook on low/med heat, stirring often. If they start to get really dry then add more broth. Eventually all the broth should be soaked up into the noodles. Noodles are done when they are very tender--no al dente, they must be soft.

*we usually make 3-4 cups, but today we're making 6 cups to feed everyone.

**we have a pasta cutter for the Kitchen-Aid mixer that rolls out the dough and cuts the noodles. You can also buy pasta rollers/cutters for around $20.

Edited by - Jokelly on 11/23/2006 11:38:26
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  16:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

Siobhan, are you turning English on us? Coloured? jumper?

Blame it on my having read a lot of English (British) books as a child. My spelling is a mishmash, but I try to standardise to the Queen's English.

Happy, Happy Turkey Day!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  17:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Noodles and mashed potato shouldn't be eaten together anyway! (same as pizza and chips, pie and chips, anything stodgy with chips).

I love the little egg noodles you can get in Germany, gorgeous with a nice ragout.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2006 :  16:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*stumbles in from Leaky comments*

*hyperventilates*

Must ... not ... AK ... Melissa.

*and breathe out*

I swear, one day she'll give me a heart attack.

I remembered the name of the German noodles, by the way, they're called Spätzle.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2006 :  17:22:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What happened at Leaky, Starling?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.