Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  15:16:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mucinex is now my best friend. What is this Mucinex? The most wonderful cold medicine in the world. No, I am not high on cough syrup. Last year, I got really sick and it turned into bronchitis. Nothing helped and so someone recommended the over-the-counter Mucinex DM. It's quite expensive compared to all the other cold medicine so I was leary about trying it, but did and it worked great. Well, I completely forgot about it until last night when my sister told me to take some. I didn't even remember having any until this morning when I was rooting around in the cabinet and found my bottle. So I took the two it recommended. This stuff is great. It loosens up all the mucus in your body. I don't feel 100%. I'm still coughing and going through tissues like mad, but I feel so much better. Even my voice is a little better. I suggest everyone to start taking this if you start getting a cold. Just a wonderful product.

*end of commercial endorsement*

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  15:30:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been knitting instead of reading. I really need to be re-reading GoF and move on from there.
Just read an article in the Holiday edition of Vogue Knitting magazine. They were reporting on reading that goes hand in hand with knitting. There was a half page article talking specifically about knitting in Harry Potter-- toooooo cooooool.
Hmmmmm. I need a knitting smilie.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  15:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo, I'm with you - Mucinex is wonderful stuff. All these years of trying to find ways to stop coughing and we finally figure out we should just makes the coughs easier.

I'm getting sick - and we're leaving town tomorrow for a vacation!!! Isn't that always the way.

Geez! People haven't been picking up the tea-room, it's still a mess from that party.

*Scourgify!*

Ooo, sorry folks, I didn't mean to do that to you. I didn't see you in that dark corner. Here, have a towel.

Okay, now things are a bit... cleaner.. let's reset the tea-room. *Lights fire*

Ahh, lovely. I'll have a pot of Assam with milk and a nice warm scone. I hope someone's still taking orders.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  16:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*looks in cup and find tea all gone* I need a refill.

AMC, the Mucinex is great because I can't take cough syrup. I have no problem digesting pills of any size, even those huge ones, and getting a shot is no problem for me, but I just cannot take cough syrup. I get nauseous even thinking about it. I just can't keep it down, even the kids stuff so it's useless even trying. That's why Mucinex is great. No icky syrup. It does have a slight cough syrup taste going down, but I just chug a glass of water or cup of tea and it goes away.

I had weird dreams last night. I don't know if being sick had anything to do with it, but they were really more vivid than usual.

Siobhan, I've been itching to do some knitting, but I have to finish my neice's dollhouse. I can't read and follow knitting patterns, though, so I don't even try anymore. It's difficult because I knit left handed so everything in the patterns has to be reversed if you want it to turn out. My mom, who was a lefty knitter, followed the regular patterns and ended up with mirror image things. I just can't decipher all the abbreviations. I only knit hats and scarves, anyway, and make up my own patterns.

I was starting to feel bad because I'm ending up spending more on my neice than my nephew for Christmas. Electrifying a dollhouse is turning out to be quite expensive. Five light fixtures alone were about $40. That's without wiring and a transformer. But then I sat down and figured that I'm only going to be using a quarter of the lighting kit so I'll have a good bit left over for other houses. So the price is equaling out somewhat.

Edited by - Jokelly on 11/11/2006 16:52:03
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  16:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*Refills Jo's cup* Have a scone, they're still warm.

I gave up trying to "equalize" gift value for kids. Some toys are just way cheaper than others. A gift is a gift and if it's given and received with good cheer, all is well.

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  20:38:48  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Jo, I hope you don't get as sick as you did last year. And AMC, don't get sick before you travel--that's just not fun.

I'm reading "Under the Greenwood Tree" by Thomas Hardy, and just came across the use of the word dumbledore. Really funny. And in the back where they have a little dictionary of slang, it lists bumblebee as the definition for dumbledore. Three guesses that JKR more than likely read that book at some time.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  22:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm on the recovery, so my cold is nowhere near as bad as last time. Thank goodness. Bad news is my dad woke up with it today. He's started taking medicine immediately. Half of his left lung is non-functioning due to blood clots from years ago, so when he gets sick it really hits him hard. He got his flu and pneumonia shot this week so hopefully it's not too soon to be effective. 'Tis the season to be sick.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  01:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fa-la-la-la-la La-la-la-la.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  12:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daughter has had that cold for the last six days-- which is amazing because she usually bounces back quickly. Husband thinks she's sharing with him. I'm hoping the bug will pass me by and drinking lots of water and echinacea tea in the meantime. I'm not sure whether its the echinacea that helps or just the hot tea, but it seems to keep me going (no pun intended).

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  11:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo, I caught your cold. Well, more likely I caught it from Daughter. My throat started getting sore last night. Sinuses are still clear though, so I'm not down yet.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Ichtys
Giddy

Denmark
22 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  16:17:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys.
I don't know where to post this, so it ends up on the noticeboard in the tea-shop.
I've created a DiviantART account to keep track of the great Harry Potter fan-art that is posted there. So take a look through them, there are many very good pieces (and also a couple of comics). (There are also a couple of Naruto's, but you can ignore them.)

Regards Ichtys

Order of the Bookmark
Love ALL
Worship ONE
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  17:40:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siobhan, watch out. It starts as a sore throat for a few days, or in my case five. Then you get a slight head cold, but then it goes into your chest. I'm hacking away. I worked today, but I'm not going it tomorrow at all. All the kids in school and most of the teachers are sick. At least it's a productive cough. I do hope I sleep better than last night. I was up half the night.

Ichtys, there are some really good artists out there doing fanart.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  18:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went from sore throat last night to one plugged up sinus this evening. Perhaps I'm on the fast track. Am making soup for dinner and may have a toddy later. Husband and I are missing tai chi tonight hoping to get some extra rest and not pass this thing around.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  15:20:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, sounds like a cold to me!

I'm having one that pounces on me at inopportune moments. I'll feel perfectly fine one moment, and the next I'm sneezing my head off.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  10:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhhhh! I feel much better today. My head has cleared and no longer hurts. I'm coughing a bit, but not excessively. The only down side, so far, is that I feel drained still. I have bursts of energy then want to go back to bed.

Tea! I need tea!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  12:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siobhan, you're so lucky. I'm still coughing. I got a call this morning for a work, but I didn't answer it. I need another day or two to recover. All I need to go back to class and have a relapse. I did sleep last night so it is better. I do feel a bit better, but still coughing.

I think this illness is going to my brain, though. I had the strangest dream last night. I was at the local high school football field going to the game. I parked the car and then went to walk down an alley to get to the field and there was a large dead bear blocking the way. I sidestepped and got as far away from it as possible. So I walked up to go in near the front entrance, but there in the way was Bigfoot! A few other people were there, everyone was panicking, and Bigfoot was roaring. I went back to the alley and contemplated stepping over the dead bear. Somehow Bigfoot went away and I got into the stadium and my sister came up to me and asked what took me so long. I told her I couldn't tell her here and took her outside and told her. I didn't want to admit I saw Bigfoot in front of everyone. I told her and she said her friend saw the same thing. It started storming and she walked back inside the stadium in front of me, but then when I got to the entrance there was a door and I couldn't open it. I remember being afraid that Bigfoot would come back. And then I woke up.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  13:33:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nyquil is my secret weapon in the fight against colds already caught. The only problem is it tastes awful. They make gelcaps too, though they are HUGE. At least it is a beautiful green. It works wonders for me because it takes care of everything-- decongestant, antihistamine, analgesic, cough supressant, sleep inducer (alcohol ). I sleep like a baby.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  18:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds vicious

Echinaecha (sp?) and zinc. And if it's really bad Sudafed during the day (I can't sleep when I take it at night).

Ruth's got a bad cold, just when she took a week off for her thesis (she's got to finish it before the end of the year, eeep!). She always has stuff like that when she takes time off for her thesis ...

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  10:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the Echinacea to attempt to avoid or lessen the effects of a cold. Seems to help, but once I have the cold, I need rest and drugs-- the green colour kinda makes up for having to take the stuff. I always know when to stop taking it too. When I can taste it, I'm too well to need it.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  01:08:29  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I thought it had been pretty conclusively shown that Echinacea is pointless when it comes to colds. It just makes for expensive urine.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  05:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not quite, I think they have found that echinacea isn't much use on its own, but they haven't found out yet if it does work when you combine it with other things.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  10:46:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I drink it as a tea. I suspect that the hot tea does more good than the echinacea, but while it appears to help, I'll drink it. It's one of those things that works to varrying degrees depending on the individual. Herbal remedies are like that. They don't give verifiable, standard results over a broad test grouping so they are not considered a drug. There are people who swear by it for helping cut things like sinus infections.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  11:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I've had this bug for two weeks and I think it's finally starting to lessen it's hold. I've been off work for four days, but luckily it's subbing so I pick what days I go and what days I don't. This week it hasn't been in my head at all...it all settled in my chest. I gave it to my dad and then on top of having this, he got gout. He had it once before and never even gave it a though when he gorged on crab legs and oysters last week (seafood is a trigger for his gout). So now he's laid up with a respiratory infection and gout. But he, unlike his stubborn daughter, called his doctor and got on the mend much faster.

I have to work up the energy to go to the laundromat today. I have nothing clean and really don't want to go. It's a 3 hour affair. But then I do get two weeks of laundry completely done. Times like this I wish I had a new washer and dryer.

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  12:37:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry to hear so many people are under the weather. We were all sick before Halloween, so I'm hoping we'll stay well through the holidays.

I have just finished my project over at the Leaky Lounge and I'm looking forward to less stress and fewer late nights. Now if I can just remember what HPCS was about, I'll be in great shape. Myf, have you had a chance to look at chapter 16?

Have a great weekend everyone!

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  23:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, this is a perfect example of why medical trials are so screwed up. Initial trials showed that echinacea reduced incidence of colds. Echinacea was "in". Follow up studies show no such results - echinacea was "out". Follow up of the follow ups showed other results....

This is from Reuters news in September, so I guess the "latest" is it may help.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/544846

Mostly, the studies usually involve too few people and too few controllable variables so the real error margin on the results are never addressed when they "reveal" the results. It's so damned unscientific it makes me cry. I say do what works for you and forget the latest study.

I love Nyquil too! I'm a druggie, apparently - I never knew this. But I know and take everything discussed here. When I have a cold it's Nyquil before bedtime. I once was given cough syrup with Codeine and the first night was great - I felt like I was high and totally relaxed. The second night I felt like I was on a bad "trip" and I've never touched the stuff again. I like reliable drugs!

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  23:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, apparently medscape won't let you click it - here's teh article:

Echinacea Cuts Cold Incidence
By Martha Kerr

BOSTON (Reuters Health) Sept 20 - Use of echinacea, or extract of the purple coneflower, before the onset of full-blown symptoms of the common cold reduces the incidence by more than a half and the duration by almost two full days, researchers reported here at the annual meeting of the American College of Clinical Pharmacology.

There are approximately one billion colds reported annually, Dr. Sachin A. Shah told meeting attendees. He commented that 20% of patients report using nutraceuticals for symptom management. Of these, echinacea is the most commonly used.

Dr. Shah of the University of Connecticut, Storrs and colleagues conducted a search and ultimately a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials on the subject. The investigators found 14 studies that contained information on incidence in 1,356 patients and duration in 1,630 patients.

The team found that echinacea use cut incidence by 58%, with an odds reduction of 0.42. Duration was shortened by 1.9 days compared with the colds of nonusers.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  11:30:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard that Nyquil reforumlated their product a few years ago. It no longer has the alcohol content it once did.

I don't take any cold syrup. I have this regurgitation thing with it. I'm okay with pills and even don't mind shots, but please don't make me take a syrup. To this day I get sick to my stomach when I smell or taste anything cherry flavor (candy, pop, cherries). I blame all those years of childhood and cherry liquid medicine I was forced to take.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  12:42:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahem...

GO BUCKS GO BUCKS GO BUCKS GO BUCKS GO BUCKS GO BUCKS GO BUCKS
GO BUCKS !!!!!!

Buckeyes Rule, Wolverines Drool!

Edited by - n/a on 11/18/2006 12:43:36
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  15:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh noooo, I'm getting sick! I can feel it creeping up on me. Any room in sick bay for me?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  15:44:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

I heard that Nyquil reforumlated their product a few years ago. It no longer has the alcohol content it once did.
'Tis true. It still has some, but not nearly as much as it used to. They don't mark a children's dosage on the cup anymore either. When I was little it was OK for kids to take. Daddy and I swear by it.

Jo, I still have a cough. Started out at a scratchy/itchy throat, but now it's the phlemmy kind, but not deep in the lungs. Husband woke up with a chest-full this morning.

Bee, I hope you're not catching this bug. I have heard tell of computer virus', but internet colds?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.