694 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  21:55:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will definately be voting tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  01:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm voting! But then again.. I always do and it still hasn't saved the country. But.. one must try.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  07:32:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
What's it like to be in Dallas on the night before elections? Right in the heart of Bush Country?

Pretty uneventful, actually. I'll be going to the voting booths today (Can't vote, not registered. I must be the only US citizen on the planet who is only elegible to vote in British elections) so I might see some juicy red-meat activism, but on the whole, I don't have much to report. The locals haven't been talking about it, there have been no Brownshirts in cowboy hats goose-moseying down the roads; even the local news has been fairly sedate. About the only things even mildly unnerving have been the "Kinky Friedman For Governor" ads.

"I'm 61. Too young for Medicare; too old for a woman to care."

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 11/07/2006 10:52:09
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  11:08:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol...that's cute.

In the Northeast, the ads are so terrible and practically every commercial is a campaign ad. It's all just so nasty. Much worse than any other election year that I remember. I have a feeling we're going to have a high turnout in PA with all the close elections. It's all anyone is talking about. We're voting for a U.S. Senator, our U.S. Representatives, Governor, and then our elections for the state legislature and local elections. We're hearing a lot about Ohio and Maryland elections, also. I plan on going to vote within the hour. This is the second election we'll be using the electronic voting machines.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  12:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohio here - I just voted and the turnout was fairly high (so far), but then it usually is in our small town. Regarding voting methods, years ago we used punch cards, that is, until the whole "hanging chad" debacle. Then we switched to touch-screen comupter machines, but a couple of years ago someone filed a lawsuit claiming they were disenfranchised by malfuncioning computers, so all those brand new voting machines had to be abandoned. Now we use optical scan ballots and feed them into the machine ourselves to be sure the vote registers.

I'm so tired of the campaign ads, but at least the ones on television can be turned off or ignored. What I hate most is the telemarketing. We've been getting at least six calls a day which are political recordings ... and several more recordings on the voicemail. We even got a call from Ted Nugent! I'm scared to pick up the phone for the rest of the day.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  13:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've not gotten any calls. That's weird. PA has a "Do Not Call List" for telemarketing. The federal list got shot down, but our state law was upheld so hardly ever do we get a telemarketer. If they do call, we can turn them in and they'll be fined. There is a fine print catch for non-profit organizations but usually they don't call. Around election time a few usually call though. We've gotten alot of mail though.

Up until this year we've had the punch card voting with the chads. Any idiot knows to look at their card to make sure all the tabs are punched out, but they don't do it. So now we have the touch screen, but there is no paper to make sure our vote counted. I think all states that do it should have a receipt you turn in so there is a paper trail.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  14:31:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A printed numbered receipt would be a good idea. I always print payment confirmations when I pay bills on-line for exactly that reason. I have a paper copy of my payment-- without having to go to the bank and get a photocopy of a cancelled check.

I don't recall getting any campaign calls this year. City of Charleston even banned all the signs. It was amazing to see all the signs clustered together on patches of roadside that are still non-incorporated. The television ads didn't get into full swing until October. They were nasty enough though once they got going.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  00:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do "InkaVote" - it's like a multiple choice test, you just fill in the dot. They give you a little punchy thing with ink on it. Works the same as punch cards without the hanging chads.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  08:01:35  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Whatever happened to the tickybox method?

I am very nearly all partied out. I went to the Melbourne Cup races yesterday, and it was a grand day out. The Boy and I looked fab (if I do say so myself) and I received loads of compliments on my very awesome hat. Back at work again today, and the Boy emailed me saying 'Want to go again tomorrow?' This week is the height of the Spring Racing Carnival - last Saturday was Derby Day where they had record crowds of around 120,000 people - Cup Day was Tuesday, that's the big one and people in Melbourne get a day off, woo! Then tomorrow is Oaks Day (Ladies' Day), and then Saturday is Stakes' Day (Family Day). So if you wanted to you could go four times in one week. Somehow I think twice will be enough for me.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  08:57:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, 12 hours after the first polls closed and the counting is still going on. Everyone has flashbacks of 2000 in Florida. The Senate is up for grabs still, but it seems like the Dems got the House. We will now have a new and first female Speaker of the House. Oh, a woman is third in line for the Presidency. Doesn't sound that impressive to non-Americans, but this is the closest we've ever had for a woman becoming President.

In PA, we re-elected John Murtha, who has been one of the most outspoken Bush critics nationally and gotten the most press. It seems he's been a Representative since the Civil War. He's the Congressional representative in my district. We also got rid of the #3 Republican in the Senate, Rick Santorium. He lost by a lot more than I thought he would. So we now have our first full-term elected Democratic senator in 40 years (we have a Democrat in the 90s but he died in office if I remember correctly and hadn't served a full term).

So now we just have to wait for Virginia and Montana to recount their votes.

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  09:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, recounting ... isn't that a bit worrying? If you end up with a different result the next time, what does that say about how valid the results are in the first place?

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  10:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maryland has a new Governor. Martin O'Mally, a Democrat, who is also Baltimore ciy's Mayor. He has promised to make college more afffordable, amongst other things. However, Baltimore still has a very high crime rate, and the education system in the city is much to be desired. We shall see what happens.

Edited by - JKRisSuperior on 11/08/2006 10:44:28
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  15:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jo, according to Jon Stewart, Rick Santorum lost by default after he was Raptured up to a Better Place.

And how about Rummy resigning, eh? Not sure if it will make things better, but at least we don't have to worry about him making things worse.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  16:27:48  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I heard the news about that when I was in the shower this morning, Diri. It actually made me laugh out loud - a good start to the morning.

Like you, I don't know how much better things will get, but I really like the idea that GWB has finally realised that he's not the Most Popular Boy In School any more, and that a large number of his countryfolk are unhappy with his government.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  18:36:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GW only realises what he wants to realise. I'm afraid he will take the change in control of Congress badly and become more secretive than ever before-- after all, what they don't know about they can't complain about or interfere with. I worry about how much more damage he can do in two years.
There's also the other side of the problem. How badly can the Democrats screw things up in two years time? If they do, then we'll have another reactionary election and the Republicans will regain power.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  19:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siobhan, please don't jinx it, yet. I don't think our country could handle eight more years of Bush (the Jeb variety next time around, not George). I really don't know if Jeb will run, yet, or not. I think McCain has a good chance of getting the nomination though. If Nancy Pellosi does a good job as Speaker, she just might throw her hat into the ring on the Democrat side.

Edited by - Jokelly on 11/08/2006 19:38:11
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  19:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a different subject, do you like the Autumn setup for the boards?
Christmas is just around the corner. I was thinking of going "winter" rather than Christmas, but since we are a HP board and they celebrate Christmas in the books, I decided that "festive" would be OK. There may also be other changes coming for the holidays....

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  20:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the Fall theme. The quilling and leaves are lovely!

I'm hoping the new Congress will make positive changes in the long run. I'm not looking forward to higher taxes, but a shakeup in the power structure every once in a while is a good thing regardless. It seems that when one party is in power for too long (either Reps or Dems), they become too full of themselves, go off the deep end, and forget what the general population really wants/needs. At least with Rummy gone, the Congress will have a fair chance at effecting some changes, but that also means no excuses if they don't produce results.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  20:39:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just learned that most of Emily Dickinson's poetry can be sung to "The Yellow Rose of Texas." Evidently it's a very well known fact that I did not know. They can also be sung to "Amazing Grace", the "Gilligan's Island" theme song and many others. I guess she wrote in a meter that's popular for songs.

I like the Fall theme. It's quite nice.

I now have "The Yellow Rose of Texas" stuck in my head.

Edited by - Jokelly on 11/08/2006 20:44:07
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  22:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I now feel I must go look up some Emily Dickinson poetry...!

I love the new "Fall" theme, sorry for not mentioning it! I think doing HP-type Christmas theme would be wonderful - You might just post on the admin board asking if anyone would object.

I'm happy there's a change in the general political situation. When you have an administration like this one - change has to be good news. TG we're shut of Rummy - if there's anyone who deserves to burn in hell, it's he. Even the military brass was threatening mutiny. When you have a Secretary of Defense who doesn't have the support of the public OR the military.. it's high time he was gone. I don't agree with the war in any event but I feel SO bad for the guys over there, I feel they've been undercut by our policies and no one's been listening to them.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  22:43:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the new background too.
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  08:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me too!

Has anyone ever played "The Dark Side of the Moon" to "The Wizard of Oz"? Apparently they're supposed to match up. I want to know who figured that out.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  10:06:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard that too, but I've never tried it. Guess Husband and I will have to look it up on the internet to find out the details. A visit to Snopes might be the first step.

Glad that everyone likes the decorations-- that is, according to my unscientific exit polls.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  14:45:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh, the autumn theme is lovely - thanks Siobhan!

I'm so tired, and yet I must trudge out in the cold for drinks with a college friend who's just moved to my hometown and wants me to show him the sights (that is, the sights that serve alcohol). And I've to be up at 6am tomorrow and all. I am not a happy camper right now. It'll be fun though... maybe... sigh...

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  16:35:25  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The autumn look is lovely, even though it messes with my mind as it is SPRING.

Ah, I shan't complain. Today is a beautiful day.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  18:51:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry anitpodeans, I was following the same logic I applied to "festive" decor (see above). As HP is set in the Northern Hemisphere, I can hide behind canon and weasel out of the seasonal differential.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  01:29:21  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Weaseling out of things is always good. And I love the autumn look. Makes me remember why I love this time of year. (This last week, with all the leaves getting blown off the trees, and all the rain we've had, it's just been dark and grey.) Though, hubby and I were quite happy that the weather was nasty on Monday when the Seahawks played and the rest of the nation got the chance to see that it does indeed rain in Seattle. (Not that we don't want people to come visit, but ....)

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  06:07:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the autumn theme too!

The trees turned late this year, because October was so warm. There are three very orange trees outside Ruth's window. This is the second year we've had autumn colours. Usually it's the wrong kind of weather, with lots of rain and no cold nights (you need those for the leaves to turn), and they just turn brown and get blown off during a storm.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  18:08:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you get flooded, Eeyore? I saw how bad it was up in your corner of the country.

I'm still battling this cold. Yesterday I almost lost my voice completely at work. I was so glad when the end of the workday came. I feel a little bit better today and my throat glands are not too swollen anymore, but my voice is still not great. I went shopping with my niece today and she kept laughing at my lack of voice. I think the infection is loosening up judging by the color strange color of ...well, snot coming out of me. Evidently, everyone from my uncle to the kids at school have the same bug. It starts with everyone the same way in the throat and stays there. Whatever it is, it's not strep.

Edited by - Jokelly on 11/10/2006 18:20:28
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  10:59:50  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hmph, my avatar has disappeared. I'll look into that later.

No, Jo, we're fine--but thanks for asking. But there is a lot of flooding all around us. The closest is the town just east now has problems with flooding--it's about a 15 minutes drive from here. We are lucky enough to live at about 400 feet above sea level, so it's all the people in the valley that are getting flooding problems. I can't believe how much rain we've had lately. I mean, it rains off and on all year, but we've had some very heavy rain nearly every day, and it's not going to stop any time soon, from the sound of it.

Well, I'm off to a meeting this morning--argh. I hate Saturday morning meetings, but it can't be helped when some of the people have jobs during the week. Personally, this weather makes me feel very hermitish. I'd love to stay home and curl up in front of the fire with a book and a pot of tea.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.