Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  20:44:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*sips caffeine-free tea*

What's with celebrity baby boom? Is the new fashion must-have accessory a baby?

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  22:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Possibly. Babies and pocket-sized dogs.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  23:37:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan
herbal tea infusions are acceptable and can induce healing.

As a good friend of mine used to say scornfully when offered herbal tea ...Flowers? I'll stick to the hard stuff, I hear it's very high in free radical chasing antioxidants... or something else that's supposed to be good for you this year.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  01:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Herbal teas are not technically real teas. They are tisanes. Teas are technically brewed from a leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant.

Do people outside of North America drink iced tea? I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that the British didn't drink this. How come? It's fantastic on a hot humid day. A nice tall glass of iced tea. I prefer sweetened but will drink unsweetened also.

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/17/2006 01:25:46
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  04:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About 12 years ago, some company tried to introduce iced tea to Ireland by handing out free cans outside malls. Cue bins overflowing with a sea of tea. I guess it must be an acquired taste. It certainly didn't appeal to the Irish palate. I tried some and couldn't believe how rank it tasted.

Hot tea for me all the way. Besides, isn't a warm drink supposed to be more cooling on a hot day? Or is that just an old wives' tale?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  08:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

*sips caffeine-free tea*

What's with celebrity baby boom? Is the new fashion must-have accessory a baby?

Oh let's pray that Paris Hilton keeps the dog as an accessory and doesn't have a kid. And speaking of celebs with babies....I was watching a new interview with Britney Spears and she was chewing her gum like a cow. It was so disgusting!

I think I'll have a cuppa chamomille....I need to head to bed soon. Although, now that these boards are up, I might not get to bed anytime soon.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  13:03:30  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do people outside of North America drink iced tea? I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that the British didn't drink this. How come? It's fantastic on a hot humid day. A nice tall glass of iced tea. I prefer sweetened but will drink unsweetened also.

And if you ask an American Southerner, she will tell you that people outside the South don't know how to make tea. Unsweetened doesn't count as "real tea". Back before I got concerned about calories, I used to hate it when we would travel to Florida (which is not really Southern) and I couldn't get sweet tea. The server would always say "There are sugar packets on the table." Well, yeah there are--BUT ONCE THE TEA IS ICE COLD THE SUGAR WON'T MELT. But thanks anyway. Maybe the Irish were sold that awful stuff that comes in bottles and is sweetened with who knows what and has LEMON in it!

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  14:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, if you're making sweetened tea you have to add the sugar when hot. Adding it into cold tea doesn't work.

I might make a pitcher tonight of iced tea...probably sweetened.

Has anyone ever made sun tea? You set your water and tea out in the sun in a glass or plastic container/pitcher and let the heat of the sun brew the tea. Then make it into iced tea. It has a slightly different flavor than regular brewed tea.

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/17/2006 14:11:47
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  14:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, sun tea is good. Has a softer, less tanic acid flavour to it, but it is best brewed in glass here. Plastic gives it an odd flavour.

I make iced tea by the pitcherful every week. It used to be serveral times a week till Husband found the advantages of drinking water instead. And yes, it is all sweet tea. I used to drink it too, but gave it up when I lowered my caffeine intake.

That commericially canned tea is nasty disgusting stuff!

Anyone like Long Island Iced Tea besides me?

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  17:24:12  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I really prefer my tea hot, now that I've started adding milk and sugar. I used to drink a lot of iced tea, though. As a kid I would add so much sugar (and no it didn't dissolve) that I would have an inch of the stuff left in the bottom on my glass--yech. I do like a frappacino now and then, however. It's not really iced, more blended and frothy.

Actually, I remember trying to get a mocha of any sort in Guatemala City. I finally saw frappacino on the menu, and asked them to make it hot, with no ice. That took a bit of explaining (always a challenge with my limited Spanish), but I did get a mocha that was hot and quite tasty.

It's just really hard to get a good cup of tea in any restaurant in the US. They typically bring water that has been heated in the microwave, with a slice of lemon (lime is much better, if you must), and no milk, unless you ask. And then sometimes you still don't get the milk.

After going to the teashop with my friend in Franklin, Tennessee, I've become a snob about how I drink my tea too. It really is better in a china cup--the smaller size makes it easier to add the right amount of sugar and milk, and it stays hot longer. Room temperature tea just isn't very appealing to me. And it's just more fun to have a lovely china cup for my tea.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  17:51:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The worst is airplane tea.*shudders* I got stuck with Liptons first so I thought I'd try bringing my own tea bag which would have worked OK but for the fact that they don't boil the water!

I'm having lavender tea today.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  18:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would really rather have my tea hot rather than iced (sweetened or not). They only iced tea I like is made by the Arizona Co. It's green tea with honey and ginseng.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  19:59:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore

I really prefer my tea hot, now that I've started adding milk and sugar.

I got kidney stones when I was little and the doctors have since advised not to drink milk in your tea in you're prone to stones. A chemical in the tea reacts with the calcium in milk and can form stones in some people. I don't like it with milk anyway so I don't worry.

Eeyore, you should see my teacup collection. I inherited it from my gram and it's currently packed away. If I had room I'd have them out to use. I think it would be neat to have them out and allow people to pick what cup they want to have tea or coffee in. I had the urge yesterday to buy a cup and saucer to add to the collection, but lack of room held me back.

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  00:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. I'm a bit tardy arriving at our lovely new boards and teashop since I've been primarily lying about resting up from having my gallbladder out on Monday. It actually wasn't bad at all. I haven't even had to take any pain medication. I spent the first couple of days sleeping and I am sore, but otherwise recovering nicely. I'll have some orange spiced tea - iced because it's about 100 degrees here today.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  00:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heya Theo! Welcome aboard! So glad it went well and you're "resting comfortably" as the hospital phrase goes!

Ain't it been hart? I'll say! The last few days my poor plants have been dying with the heat. Apparently the hot spell has broken for a bit here and we'll be seeing more normal temps for the next week. 'Bout time!

I finished painting my office last week - it's a lovely spring/apple/light green - and now I can just sit on the lounge and admire the walls. My favorite thing to do - admire the things I've finished. Or even half-finished. I'm actually much better at admiration than accomplishment.

I cannot bear iced tea but I can't bear sweetened tea either. I'm a strong, black tea with milk drinker. I'll have Chamomile or Peppermint tea in the evenings, but as Jo says it's a tisane - very nuturing and all that, but not my cup of tea! Small pun.

When it gets hot I still drink hot tea but I'll drink iced coffee. Not sure why!

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  05:40:14  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Herbal teas are not technically real teas. They are tisanes. Teas are technically brewed from a leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant.

Joke:

Why do Marxists drink herbal teas?

Because all proper tea is theft.

In other news, I hate dentists to infinity and beyond.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  09:50:10  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theowyn

Hi everyone. I'm a bit tardy arriving at our lovely new boards and teashop since I've been primarily lying about resting up from having my gallbladder out on Monday. It actually wasn't bad at all. I haven't even had to take any pain medication. I spent the first couple of days sleeping and I am sore, but otherwise recovering nicely. I'll have some orange spiced tea - iced because it's about 100 degrees here today.

Welcome, Theo! Glad you're recovering nicely enough to want some tea. It's not just hot but DRY here. It's so dry, I was actually hoping the tropical storm would head a little further north in Georgia and bring us some rain last week.

And I must confess I am actually drinking Diet Coke. I know the acid is horrible for you, but I've become addicted to the burn as it goes down. [:I]

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  11:28:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL Myf - I had to say that out loud to get it.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  15:16:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heh, I didn't get it till I read it aloud either.

I'm tired. Drove all the way into college today to get some vaccines, only to find out that my blood tests aren't back yet so I needn't have bothered. Meh.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  18:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I said it out loud and it still took a few seconds for the joke to sink in. *sigh* I'll use the I didn't get enough sleep today excuse for being slow.

quote:
In other news, I hate dentists to infinity and beyond.

Any particular reason? Bad cleaing? Over-priced services?

Today, my hate shall be directed at warrantys. Why you ask? Well, my car came with a factory installed 6 disc CD changer. Last week, I had to send it in to get appraised for repair. $375!!!!!!!! I can get a whole new system for that price! And of course, it's the one bleeping thing NOT covered under my bumper to bumper warranty. I told them to send it back and I'll go somewhere else and get a new CD player put in. I want to try and find one that will allow me to plug in an MP3 player. I saw one at Wal-Mart, but I'd have to install it myself and I'm just not that handy.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  19:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh, I have a little star under my name! Too bad I'm a Mediwizard, or I reckon I'd be having my prognosis reviewed by now. I can't wait to see what the next level is. So in other words, get posting, oh giddy ones! *pokes*

I should really go to bed, but I'm feeling a bit hyper. Hm. Some cocoa might help (don't actually like cocoa in RL but the concept sounds so soothing). Anyone else fancy some?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  20:09:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can it be iced cocoa? It's still hot as Hades here!

I think Alpine makes a cd player where you can plug in your mp3 player and use the radio controls to pick the playlist..

Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  22:56:48  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There are a few brands that now allow you to control your iPod from the head unit. Pioneer too. I even saw one that allows you to plug in a USB key and play the tracks from that. I so want one of those.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  23:20:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so not technically savvy. My 11 year old neice knows more about current technology than I do.

Bee, you don't like Cocoa? Why???? It's chocolate! If it's chocolate (and doesn't have nuts or coconut in it) it's wonderful. I think I'd rather have chocolate than a book to *cough* read. Isn't that sad? I get teased for my chocolate obsession, which I really don't think it's an obsession...just an intense liking for. I think I'm in denial. I don't need it everyday, but it would be lovely.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  08:51:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooh ooooh oooooh!!!!!
Did you notice, AMC is the first to have her review? I'm afraid her prognosis has't improved.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  09:06:39  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thought I'd experiment with the font and color options.

And now, will someone please tell me to go to bed. I just jumped on to check my email, and thought since I totally missed being here on Sunday and Monday, I'd have a quick look--that was over an hour and a half ago. It's only 6:10 am--too early for me to be up for the day.

Father's Day was great at our house. We went to the brunch, which was very tasty. I think they wanted to kick us out by the time we actually left though. Chris got up for something, but turned back around to our table just as one of the girls who was collecting dishes walked by--big collision, plate on the floor--broken, of course. *sigh* Why is it always us. We are such klutzy people sometimes.

But after church, Laura and Tim fixed lunch. Then Terry opened stuff--boring clothes from me, but needed. Sarah and Chris gave him the outdoor speakers he has wanted for the deck, so they spent most of the afternoon installing them, which just made Terry very happy.

I took a nap, then had tea with the girls--Terry, Chris and Tim were still working on the speakers. Laura and Tim fixed dinner--a three tip roast that they barbecued. I'm not much of a beef person, but even I liked it. It was good and so tender. Chris has given up carbs, and I'm trying to cut down on them, so Laura fixed two different salads--both good--and broccoli, a family favorite. I did eat the bread, though.

Anyway, what a nice day--and Terry was still talking about it on Monday, a sure sign that this was one of his favorite Father's Days.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Edited by - Eeyore on 06/20/2006 09:17:44
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  10:39:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hee. Addled. I love it.

Sounds like a lovely Father's Day was had by all, Eeyore.

Jo, I too find it bizarre that I don't like cocoa. I loooooove chocolate in almost any form. Just not cocoa. Odd, that.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  11:09:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! I'm Addled! And well on my way to being certifiable, but that's no news to anyone here!

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  17:51:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ranking curve is rather steep as I'm given only 6 rank changes. But I'm sure everyone will advance quickly through.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  18:04:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh, we're all on a slippery slope....

Soon there'll be NO ESCAPE.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.