Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  23:04:30  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Funny... I ate chicken feet at a yum cha last week too.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  00:04:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ewwwwww! To you and Myf, MrBen! What's "Yum Cha"? It sounds Thai but Thai restaurants here don't serve chicken feet!

Eeyore - glad you liked our weather, could we please have some of yours??? I'm so sick of hot and the air quality has been awful!

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  00:53:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chicken is one of my most favorite foods, but I don't think I could eat chicken feet. My dad has a rhyme when we have a whole chicken and they give you the organ meats and neck, "Chicken legs, chicken feet, chicken necks are all I eat."

The weather has been below normal for PA. This weekend in the mountains it's not supposed to get out of the 40s as a high. We're supposed to be in the 50s. Unheard of for the end of September. Usually it's in the 70s this time of year. I have a feeling we're going to have a cold snowy winter despite what the NOAA and National Weather Service is predicting for this year.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  16:55:24  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, but no chicken feet for me either. Laura had them in Hong Kong and said it was good, but yuk.

AMC--the first day we were there was last Friday and it was very much like Seattle can be--cooler, but not cold, overcast--I felt right at home.

I did enjoy the sunshine, and as it turns out, we came home to sunny days--it's lovely here--especially after the cold rainy days we had earlier in the month.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  15:57:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love fall. The leaves are changing and it's getting quite pretty in PA.

My house smells of apples. It's autumn so I'm making apple butter. I make it once a year in the fall. I loooove apple butter, but I hate it store bought because everyone puts cloves and nutmeg in it. A local organization my family belonged to used to make it every fall in giant kettles they stirred with these large wooden paddles outside. It reminded me of huge witches' cauldrons. I used to love to go and help. Sadly, they quit making it about 15 years ago so a few years ago I started making it on the stove top when I couldn't find any I liked in the stores. The only thing I'm missing though is the smoke flavor from the fire. I'm not a jelly or preserves fan, but I do like apple butter on toast, or english muffins, or even just plane apple butter sandwiches.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  21:37:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ummm! I love apple butter! How hard is it to make and what kind of apples do you need?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  22:29:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dad makes his own apple butter too, and it's wonderful. He uses huge copper kettle (HUGE!) that he suspends over a fire, and he stirs it with a big wooden paddle -- just like Jo described above. Sorry, I don't know the recipe, but he uses the apples from his orchard, Jonathan and Red Delicious, I think. He makes his own apple cider too. In fact, he just dropped off a gallon this afternoon. 'Tis the season. Yum!

Dad's kettle does look a lot like a witch's cauldron. In fact, for our first Harry Potter Party, I built a mock fire under it from tissue paper, filled it with ice, propped some old broomsticks up against it, and used it as our beverage cooler. It was so much fun!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  00:05:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does he put a silver dollar in the bottom of the kettle, Pesky? That's what they did here. Old wives tale about it helping the apple butter not to stick. Oooh, and fresh apple cider. I miss unpasturized cider. It has a different taste than the store bought stuff now. The only way I can get it unpasturized anymore is to go to the Amish market in the Mountains. For some reason, they don't need to follow FDA guidelines, I guess.

AMC, you can use just about any variety of apples, I think. The recipe I use, and it makes a ton, is to take a gallon of apple cider and boil down to about half way in a huge pot and then add your apples. I can never wait and usually just put the apples straight in. I think I use a half bushel of apples, peeled, sliced and cored. Then you just cook and cook and cook on low simmering heat, stirring every so often so it doesn't stick or burn. And then cook it some more. Usually it takes two days of cooking for me because I get started late in the day. It gets the smooth consistency from just cooking a long time. You add white sugar and/or brown sugar (your preference, I add both) while cooking. I also add some cinnamon to it. That's it. I've also made the same recipe in the crockpot. It works out great both ways. I then cool and freeze in it those cheap little ziplock bowls. I've never canned and I'm sort of scared at the idea so freezing is the way I go.

I've also made much smaller batches, but my dad got me a bushel of apples so I had to do something with them.

Edited by - Jokelly on 10/02/2006 00:07:46
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  00:13:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So if it cooks for two days... how do you stir it when you're sleeping?

I don't think the FDA requires pasturization because some natural juice places used not to do i.. but then there was a bacterial scare and they started doing it out of fear of litigation. I wonder if there's a specific phobia for fear of litigation.. if so, American corporations all have it!

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  00:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooo! For a long time I've been the top poster on this site and now I notice Siobhan and I are tied - neck in neck at 397!

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  00:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I'm going to have to spam the board to keep up my place...

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  00:18:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For just a few more minutes..

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  00:20:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even though I know, ultimately, I must fall because I only post infrequently these days. I need a good run on the S.I.N.U.S. thread to bring me back! Must go play some darts...

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  00:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMC, I stir the apple butter in my sleep. Might as well put my sleepwalking activities to good use. No, I put a cover on it and just let it sit turned off on the back burner for the night. If I'm not cooking it the next morning then I cool it and put it in the fridge for the night. Then finish cooking it the next day or so. If I do it in a crockpot, I just let it cook on low all night.

As for pasturization, apple cider is required to be pasturized to be sold in PA. Don't know if it's a state law, or national one. They just put it in effect about 3 or 4 years ago.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  07:14:13  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've never had apple butter but it sounds delicious. I wonder if you would be able to send me some in the post or whether that would contravene all sorts of laws. I am interested to see that it doesn't actually contain any butter - just caramelised apples and cider, yes?

Yum cha is a chinese meal, often had during the day at restaurants, especially Sundays. They often have two sittings, 11am and 1pm. You sit down and have pot of tea (which is continually refreshed) then the waiters bring around a series of trolleys on which there is a whole selection of yummy things - scores of sorts of dumplings, pork buns, green vegetables in oyster sauce, squid, chicken feet, prawn toast, sticky rice balls... the list goes on and on. It's a continuous chain of women with trolleys saying 'You wan pork bun, san choy bow, vegetable dumpling, prawn and pork dumpling?' then dumping little bamboo steamers on your table, ticking off your dishes on a piece of paper on the table, then leaving for the next table. It's often a pretty raucous and messy meal, but so much fun. And so much tasty.

Surely you have this in the US? By another name, perhaps?

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  10:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too have trouble with commercial apple butter (and pies, and sauce, and pie filling, and apple varieties in general). My parents's house was built on property that used to be an orchard. There are two very old apple trees at the back of the house. One is a Transparent and the other a Gravenstien. These apples have the most wonderful tart/sweet flavour (closest commercially available would probably be Pink Lady) but because they bruise easily are not good for shipping. I grew up eating the apple sauce and butter and pies from those apples and find that the overly sweet flavour of the stuff in stores doesn't even taste like my idea of apples. So annually my daddy makes apple butter for Daughter and me to share. Maybe Mum will make Husband one of her apple pies for Christmas. He has no idea what he's missed all these years.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  10:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  16:28:47  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We have places that serve brunch, but it's usually buffet style--you get up and fill your own plate, they don't bring it to the table. Or they sometimes have a special menu for that time of day, but nothing like what you described.

Apple butter is very tasty, though I've never had it homemade before. I'm sure it's better than the stuff I've bought at the store.

I don't think the pasteurization thing is a federal requirement, as they still sell things that aren't in Washington state and apparently in California. While we were down there, there was another ecoli outbreak from raw milk. Quite a few years ago there was a problem with a brand of juices here in the Pacific Northwest that wasn't pasteurized.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  17:03:37  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am baffled by the lack of yum cha in the US. It is the greatest invention ever!

Wah. Not enough sleep. :(

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  17:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah! Light Dawns!

Yum Cha goes by the name of Dim Sum here.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  20:21:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myf, you might be able to get some commerically produced apple butter shipped internationally if you google it. Apple butter doesn't have any butter in it. It gets its name because the consistency is smooth like butter. You can have other fruit butters, too, like pear butter, pumpkin butter, tomato butter, etc. I think we have some peach butter in the fridge. But apple butter is the best. Here is a picture what it looks like:

It's best eaten with fresh baked bread.

Eeyore, everything is pasturized here. All fruit juices and milk. You won't find anything unpasterized, even at roadside stands.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  22:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have I mentioned I love this board? I love this board.

I wrote to Martje on Diagon Alley board urging her to join here - she probably doesn't remember me so if any of you all who were old pals want to go back and add to the urging she's checked in there a couple of times recently.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  06:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yum cha sounds amazing - wish we had that here. Apple butter sounds very tasty also!

I have today off, and I've a list of boring things I must do, like going to the Credit Union, buying new windscreen wipers, returning library books and so forth. Exciting stuff. College is going well - I'm finding it pretty tough going but it's nice to be back in a routine again. I get to go on placement once a week, so at least there's a bit of variety. I spent yesterday in a geriatric hospital, which I really enjoyed. I love hanging out with old people, which I never get a chance to do thanks to my family's crappy die-young genes.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  10:51:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bee you just need to introduce some too-feisty-to-give-up genes to your family pool. My in laws are younger than my parents and act about ten times older (which bugs me no end). They will be the kind that gives up, whereas my folks will go out fighting.

Martje started her own board shortly after leaving the yo-yo's. She was also involved in the early stages of the forum at the Leaky Cauldron, though that was very early on (like pre-development). She may not have time to spare between here and the Leaky Lounge. There may also be a bit of confusion as to who is involved in these boards, ie. that Rames has something to do with them. They did not part on cordial terms so it would be understandable if that were to keep her away. I think she does pop over from time to time, but visits as a guest.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  11:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myf
I've never had apple butter but it sounds delicious. I wonder if you would be able to send me some in the post or whether that would contravene all sorts of laws. I am interested to see that it doesn't actually contain any butter - just caramelised apples and cider, yes?

Oh good! Now I know what to send you for Christmas.

I love apple butter, too. I often prefer it to jam because it isn't nearly as sweet.

I love fall. The weather has finally started to cool off here and I'm getting in the mood to bake. Fall is the only time of year that I bake but I usually go all out: Pumpkin cheesecake, banana bread, cookies, you name it. If it's going to get baked in my house it's going to happen in the next three months.

One of my favorite fall activities is going up into the foothills to a place called Apple Hill. This is a large collection of orchards and in the fall they open to the public. Some sell homemade pies and cidar out of a stand. Others have full-blown craft fairs, pony rides and every sort of apple food you can imagine, including fresh apple doughnuts... yum! One of the most interesting things to do is watch the apple press. In goes a bunch of apples and out comes apple juice at the other end. It's fun to watch and you get to sample the apple juice - which is not pasturized, but is definitely all natural.

*Goes off happily to unpack fall sweaters.*

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  11:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I baked oatmeal cookies and ginger cream cookies this weekend! The weather has changed - I'm starting to think of fall planting as well! I love Fall and I'm SO ready for some cooler weather and maybe some... RAIN!

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  12:48:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ginger cream cookies sound good. How do you make those?
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  13:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to rain on this sweet topic, but I have to ask, who would ever want to hurt the Amish? What harm have they ever done to anybody? I haven't got over this yet. I always liked the Amish; they work hard, completely renounce violence and value community. It's easy to make fun of the Amish but I think everyone in the US secretly admires them, even if they don't envy them.

Back on topic, they do make great apple pies; that I can vouch from personal experience.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 10/03/2006 15:56:14
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  13:47:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diri, I gather the person in question was mentally unbalanced. Not surprising, even if it's completely horrifying. I try not to read these kinds of stories since I hate to support sensationist media but I did see the headline that the Amish expressed concern for the killer's family. That takes an amazing amount of... spiritual strength, perhaps - holiness almost. I admire it tremendously.

The ginger cream cookies are from an old Betty Crocker "Cooky Book", originally published before I was born and republished last year. My old copy was literally falling apart from use so I was very happy to get a new one - my best friend bought as many copies as she could and gave them to everyone she knew. I don't think she was the only one. It's the best cookie book ever written.
http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crockers-Cooky-Crocker-Editors/dp/0764566377

The cookies themselves are very simple - rounded spice/molasses cookies and you put a little bit of vanilla icing on them. But.. they are reeeeeallly good. And I've been making them for.. almost 30 years?

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  14:25:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diri, I heard on the news last night that the man called his wife before he began shooting and said the "reason" was something that had happened over 20 years ago. The reporter didn't elaborate on what that something was or how it could possibly have anything to do with the children involved. Incidents like this make me ill.

I bet your cookbook is the same one I have, AMC! The old red and white cover with the photos of Betty Crocker's "modern" test kitchens? I have my mother's copy. She kept my aunt's old copy-- it still smells like pickles. I just love the cake photos. They look like they have been plastered with frosting.

Oops. Just checked the link. I don't have the cookie edition. Mine is just the general cookbook. They re-published it a couple of years ago so I bought a new copy (pages keep falling out of my old one). Old cookbooks are the best, though. My family is notorious for writing notes in the margins. I've even got recipe cards from my grandmother that tell you how to salt cure a ham and make Italian Balm (a hand salve that was all the rage in the 30's on Lopez Island).

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.