Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  12:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never attempt the dangerous Chocolate Block Manoeuvre. It is more deadly than the fatal Five-Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique of Pai Mei (just saw Kill Bill on TV-- talk about gore! But kind of cool too, if you are interested martial arts and sword techniques).

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  10:57:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Avast ye, scallywags!

It's International Talk like a Pirate Day!!!

Arrrrrr.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  11:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arrr! Surrender ye loot, or walk the plank! Arr!
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  12:57:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arr. Oi wish Nuggy were here. She truly be livin' in the last par' o' th' world wherr people still be talkin loike poirates. Well, exceptin' off th' coast o' Virginia, with all them Hoigh Toiders. Funny thing yeh know; they be sayin' this was wha' Shaikespearr was meant to be soundin' loike.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 09/19/2006 13:04:19
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  16:57:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya don' say! Well blow me down, that's news to me! Who be this Shaikespearr anyhow? A yarn-spinner, perchance? But matey, today the whole world is talkin' like a Pirate! It's the Pirate Law! Arrrr.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  18:40:38  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Too busy to stay and chat. Hope you're all well.

Back soon, I hope!

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  01:04:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be:

"Ahoy mateys! Too busy t' stay and chat. Hope ye're all well. Aft soon, I hope!"

Hmm - I think the cyber-Pirate translators be needin' some help - Back and Aft only have the same meanin's when yer at sea...

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  11:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to be so quiet lately. I've been feeling under the weather lately (and a nasty slimey place it is-- I wouldn't recomend it).

I've nothing much to report, so I'll rabbit on about nothing in particular. Received my lop-eared rabbit 2007 calendar this morning. So many cute bunnies and none of them are mine. Oh well.
Will be visiting my parents for Christmas this year. This is a switch since they usually come this direction for the holidays. We won't be able to stay as long as they do, but we hope to take Daughter to see PNB's Nutcracker on stage. So far she's only seen their staging on video. Perhaps she'll get to see some snow for the holidays.
Will also be off on a holiday with Husband the first weekend in October. He needs to get away from his clients and we need to get away sans Daughter (it's that too much family togetherness kicking in).
Daughter is getting close to testing for her purple belt! Wahoooo! Good thing too since her karate uniform is getting a bit small. Purple belts wear a black Gi rather than the white. I didn't want to have to buy her a new white Gi only to have to buy a black one a couple of weeks later.
Hmmmm. Well, I guess that's it for now.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  11:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the black belt come after the purple? Or does your daughter still have a ways to go before she gets the black belt?
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  13:51:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Purple is less than half way.
Belt order is:
  • white
  • yellow
  • orange
  • purple
  • blue 1st degree
  • blue 2nd degree
  • green 1st degree
  • green 2nd degree
  • brown 1st degree
  • brown 2nd degree
  • black + degrees after that
Daughter's Master instructor is a 6th degree black belt. Her other instructors are, mostly, 2nd degree black belts. After watching classes, I can tell you anyone who would attempt to attack these people would have to be either really stupid, or certifiably insane. Heck, one of the earliest stabbing knife techniques taught at white belt level involves breaking the stabbing arm of an attacker. Orange belts learn techniques with take-downs. The main thing that they learn first of all is that if escape is possible, DO IT! Especially in the case of children, speed and youth are on their side whereas full engaging of an adult attacker puts a child at an extreme disadvantage. Even at that though, I wouldn't want to be the fool who thought they had an easy target and ended up with a broken nose, broken arm, and sore privates.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  14:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa! Thanks for the belt order. I sure would n't want to mess with them either.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  18:40:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey! Did I mention I saw Spamalot on Broadway last week!

It was great fun with a flying Tim

A ferocious

And some very large feet. But no .

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  16:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone ready to start planning a Halloweeeeeeeen party yet?
I think I can fix the guest posting thing for as long as the party lasts.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2006 :  18:38:20  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Maybe by the time halloween comes round I'll have my new kitchen up and running. (How's that for a segue?!) I spent all of yesterday taking apart the old one. Who knew there'd be so many screws! The new kitchen is being delivered today and hopefully assembly can begin tomorrow.

It'll be good to have somewhere to cook again.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2006 :  22:32:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I had a new kitchen. I definitely need more counter space and new cabinets. I haven't been cooking much, though, lately. I made an apple pie today (I cheat and buy Pillsbury crust) and that's the first thing I've made in a while.

I'm applying to sub at another school and I'm stuck. I need to have a physical and a TB test, which is the easy part, but I also need a history of my booster shots, information I have no idea how to get. My mom knew all that stuff, but my dad is totally useless with that information. The hospital no longer exists and my pediatrician passed away years ago. I do know I got a second MMR vaccine in 1995 to get into college, but beyond that I have no idea being that it was almost 30 years ago and I was a baby at the time. I didn't need this much information in college or student teaching, let alone for just subbing! I sub right now at two elementary schools, but I'm only getting a few days a week. Supposedly all this health information is a state requirement, but I didn't need it to sub at my current school. So now I need to search all my parents old files and hope there is some record somewhere.

I went shopping with my neice the other night to get ideas for Halloween and she wants to be a demon fairy. Don't know where that girl comes up with her ideas. I think one year she was a witch, but usually it's odd things. Last year she was a 20s flapper girl. I remember when I was little one kid came to school as a Hershey kiss, with that paper slip coming out the top and everything. Don't know how they made the costume frame, but they covered it in aluminum foil. It was very inventive.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  00:24:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooo! The Halloween party! My favorite! Definitely, let's plan.

Now let's see - in the old village Simon had a Palacio on the hill which we borrowed but he's gone. Who has a house/palace/garden we could use? Having a moonlit garden party would be lovely but it's need to be one of our Antipodean residents, as November gets chilly in this half of the globe... Ben? Will your new kitchen fit all of us?

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  00:25:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo, Have you thought of your schools - like High School, maybe? Do they keep old student records? Surely they needed to see immunization records.

Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  08:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, this weather is ridiculous! We went from scorching heat to practically freezing in the span of a week. It's been getting into the 40's at night around here. My furnace actually kicked in yesterday. I hate the cold.....not that I'm too fond of the extreme heat we had either.

*bangs head on the table* Why do my Lions suck? I can't believe they lost to the Packers! The Lions now have the dubious distinction of being the worst in the division.

My sister and I went down to Green Bay this past week for some shopping. I spent WAY too much money, but it was mostly worth it (I'm starting to regret buying my Lions jersey....it's a Barry Sanders one, so I don't feel too bad). I bought a couple new CD's, a couple of movies and a facinating book called Mapping the world of Harry Potter. It's a collection of essays by sci-fi and fantasy writers about the world of Harry Potter. My personal favorites were To Sir with love (about the portrayal of Snape in fan-fics), Hermione Granger and the charge of sexism and Why Dumbledore had to die.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  11:12:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMC, we could have th party anywhere we like. We'll just cast some weather charms and voila!!!! It could be snowing and we would have a lovely starlit night (I'd say moonlit, but we'd have to be certain of the phase of the moon if Remus were to attend).
How about the village green? It hasn't had much use lately-- except for the sheep and it's been months since I've grazed them there. The grass has come back and any poo is long since gone. We could put up poles with chinese paper lanterns and have a buffet table along one side with tables at the end. The dance floor could be at the other end. The trees along the other side would provide lots of "dark corners".

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  11:19:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's cold in PA too. You never know how to dress. Hot one day, freezing the next. It was in the 40s the other night but our furnace didn't kick on. I did sleep with my electric blanket, the greatest invention ever.

AMC, I don't know about the school having my immunization records. Maybe I'll check it out. I went to the same school from Kindergarten-12th grade so I've never needed to have this information past the age of five.

Steelers lost again. We're 1-3. I think they played Ben too early last week. It was only a week after having his appendix out and they put him in, plus he had a 100+ fever. Bad coaching decision. This week, I don't know what happened. Plus, Heinz Ward has fighting injured. We have a buy week next week. Some say it's good so they can recuperate, others say Ben needs to keep playing to get over his various ailments.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  00:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David Letterman did a big spiel about my town tonight! He was having kids parallel park in Manhattan and one kid was from my hometown and University. Letterman even got the atlas out and circled our town and talked about it. He didn't believe the place existed, but it does. We're actually well known in the state, but outside people don't believe we exist. (The town's name is that of another state).

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  07:40:50  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's cold here too. Last night I was ridiculously freezing, even though the days have been getting warmer. In fact, tonight is quite cold again. Bah. I'm going to make some chocolate chip biscuits. Want the recipe? I have it memorised, even though I have never made it before:

1 cup SR flour
1 cup plain flour
1 cup coconut
1 cup brown sugar
1 dash vanilla
1 egg
125g butter
250g dark chocolate, chopped

Beat together the wet ingredients, add the dry, mix and cook at 180*C until golden. Tasty!

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  09:36:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yum! What is SR flour?
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  09:56:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Self-raising, I guess. Then again, I haven't baked anything since I was forced into home economics classes during my first year in secondary school. Quit as soon as I could. *shudders*

After spending two hours trying to complete what should be a 45 minute journey, being 20 minutes late for my very first day of work placement, and nearly crying in the process, I've decided I have to move. Commuting just isn't working for me. I'm tired, I'm cranky, and I'm not even saving that much money, because my car seems to be hemmoraging petrol. I can't put the stuff in fast enough.

I have to get my computer fixed, so I mightn't be around for a week or so, depending on how badly broken the thing is. I'm using my brother's computer at the moment, but he's after moving out to be closer to college so he'll probably come collect it at some point over the next few days.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  10:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about the car, Bee. Is the commute a busy one, or was there an accident or something?

I've got a few things lined up for the Halloweeeeeeeen do. How about a cauldron of "As You Like It" Brew, some Eye Candy, and Poyzun Apples? Chicken Fingers might be good too.....

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  10:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I go for the old Toll House recipe, only substituting mini chips instead of regular. I've never heard of putting coconut in them.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  13:29:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toll House is probably only "traditional" here, Jo. I can't stnad coconut or nuts in chocolate chip cookies, but I will sometimes add oatmeal.

Chicken fingers scare me. I was once served chicken feet at a Chinese restaurant and they look like little flabby gloves - really grotesque. I'd say we need lanterns and fairy lights in the trees - anyone know someone with a fairy collection we could borrow?

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  18:25:23  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I ate chicken feet just a few days ago - I was at yum cha.

You'll all be happy to know that the biscuits were a complete success - extremely yummy. And yes, SR = self-raising flour.

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  20:20:30  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I missed y'all. Terry and I went down to Disneyland for 6 days and just got back yesterday afternoon. I have a lot of catching up to do, plus the laundry.

We had great weather down there, and stayed in a hotel that had a little kitchen, which I quite liked. Mainly we ate breakfast there, and had late night snacks, but didn't try to cook dinner or anything that elaborate.

Take care, and TTFN.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  22:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WB, Eeyore. Glad you guys had fun.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.