Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  11:38:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are a big ball of cheer, aren't we. Sometimes it doesn't seem fair what happens to people. I know a 30 year old woman with three very young children who just got diagnosed with MS. I guess it's progressing pretty fast, too. Sometimes I think my Gram had it right. She hated doctors and would only go to her chiropractor. She avoided hospitals and doctors like the plague and ended up living to 95 and working until around 93. We knew when she quite working she wouldn't last long. But then how many people work in their 90s.

I have to go into the city tomorrow and am so glad it's not today. This morning is the mayor's funeral, who died of an obscure brain cancer (only 7 cases a year in the U.S.) and tonight is the Steeler game. Traffic is going to be horrendous.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

hedwig444
Giddy

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  13:12:35  Show Profile  Visit hedwig444's Homepage  Reply with Quote
*pulls up a pouffe and adds to the cheer*

My dad died 3 months ago from end stage Alzhiemer's, less than 12 hours after his only sibling, his sister died of liver cancer. Put the whole family in shock and was a very surreal time. We got the news about my aunt and then less than 2hrs later got the call about my dad. All the friends and family who got the call from my uncle then got a call from my mum about my dad and nobody could believe it.

The only good that we can gain from it is that they died on a Bank Holiday weekend, so it will be good in the future when close to the anniversaries all us cousins can meet up to remember them. With us all living so far away from each other it will be a good chance to all come together again.

Oh heck, butterbeers and chocolate all round to lift this gloom!

Wiggy xx
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  13:42:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hedwig, I'm really sorry to hear about your dad and your aunt. I can't imagine how hard that must have been for you and your family.

*passes around butterbeers and chocolate*

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  14:48:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh heck! I'll take a firewhiskey at this point!
Pass the chocolates, please.

At last, we've had some cooler weather. I'm hoping the heat is finished for the year, but now that I've said that it will be back.

Very sorry to hear about your losses, hedwig, but we've very glad to see you back again!

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  15:19:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about your dad and your aunt, Hedwig.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  17:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More jolly olly news. I just discovered a black widow spider on our picket fence (it runs across the front of our property). She had seven egg sacks. Now, of course, she is an ex-spider with no new descendents to come.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  18:01:48  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ugh... I dreamt of spiders last night.
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  18:43:03  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh, wiggy's here! *hugs madly* I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. I hope you're dealing with it OK.

I'm tremendously lucky - apart from the passing of my darling grandfather 15 years ago I haven't really had to face death. Not looking forward to it.

Right Myf, you can do it. Only another 8 hours of work before it's the weekend.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  21:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My deepest condolences Hedwig and to everyone else who has someone dear to them who is terminally ill or has passed away. Death is a surreal experience and waiting for death while the clock ticks down has to be the worst experience of all.

*Hands around more choclate and ice cream.*

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  22:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm watching the Steelers game and the national announcers just butchered the pronunciation of our rivers. They do it every time. They even had a native on for a few years who told them the correct way and they still get it wrong. They never learn.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  12:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Foreign" announcers are so funny. Try pronouncing these:
Spokane
Wenatchee
Puyallup
Sequim
Yakima

Huger
Beaufain
Beaufort
Catawba

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  15:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Jo - ya won, that's what counts. And is it the rest of the world's fault that Pittsburghers can't talk right?

Siobhan, how about Adewale Ogunleye or Obafemi Ayanbadejo? try putting those names in the middle of a extemporized sentance while the camera is rolling. I think the NFL announcers have kind of a rough job! I'm surprised they don't mess up more.

I didn't see the game last night but with Jerome Bettis doing NFL analysis this year - I'll be trying to tune in.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Edited by - AMC on 09/08/2006 15:36:06
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  15:38:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll give it a try:

Spokane = Spo(long o) KAN
Wenatchee = Wen aht chee
Puyallup = Pull up
Sequim = Seh kwim
Yakima = YA ki mah

Huger = Hugh ger (hard g like in grape)
Beaufain = Bo fane or Bew fane
Beaufort = Bew fort
Catawba = Kah taw ba

Are any of them even close? It's funny how people pronounce stuff differently. Like people from Louisville, KY live in "LEW el vull" or in my state Lancaster, PA is "LANK ah stir". We have a local town of North Versailles pronounced as "Ver-SAILS", not the french way.

Most of our hard to pronounce places come from Indian names: Allegheny, Monongahela, Youghiogheny, Ohiopyle, and my parents used to camp at Tidioute. Youghiogheny is the funniest to hear outsiders say. Chances are unless they've been they're, they're not going to say it correctly.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  15:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done Jo!
Spokane - spo kan (long o)
Wenatchee - wen a chee (short a as in can)
Puyallup - pew al up
Sequim - skwim
Yakima - yak imah

Huger - hew gee
Beaufain - bew fane
Beaufort - bew fort
Catawba - ca taw buh

Our Charleston newscasters are hilarious when they try to pronounce names from Washington State. They never get them correct. They also seem to think that Tacoma is a suburb of Seattle.

HA! A teacher just won her case against the Charleston County Schools! She claimed that she was fired for reporting discrimination to her school's principal and the court agreed with her. There are three other cases pending with similar allegations.
http://www.wciv.com/news/stories/0906/359106.html

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  16:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was close on some of those. Youghiogheny is pronounced Yock-oh-gay-nee, and evidently it's the best place for white water rafting on the East Coast. I've grown up near it my whole life an never knew this until recently. I won't go. I'm too much of a chicken, plus it seems like someone dies every year because there is a boulder in middle of the rapids that they've been trying to remove for for years for safety, but some groups are protesting its removal, so it stays.

That article's interesting, Siobhan. Is this happening alot down there?

Edited by - Jokelly on 09/08/2006 16:20:13
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  19:18:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of it's kind that I'm aware of if you mean a teacher suing the school district and winning. If you mean the discrimination, violence, and lack of discipline, that is rampant.

I wouldn't dream of going whitewater rafting. I'm more the sit-on-the-shore-and-watch-the-birds type. Think of the rock as a tool of natural selection. It should stay.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  16:34:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could go for a cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows right now.

One of the schools I sub for hired a new gym teacher. Normally I wouldn't comment on it, but he's worth commenting on. All the poor little girls are infatuated with him. They kept asking me all day if they had gym class today. I always hated gym class, but I only had old teachers in school.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  01:45:09  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dagnabbit. I cant seem to post anything at the moment.

Ooh, a new book for Jo! What's the plot like?

I am having housemate troubles. Short version is: imagine Single White Female. *wibble*

Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  04:25:37  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Which one are you, Myf? :P
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  07:21:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was a kid, my cousin went all Single White Female on me, to the extent that she started biting her nails just because I did (and I managed to kick the habit years before she did - ha!). Eventually I lost my temper, threatened to kill her, and chased her around my house with a blue plastic shovel. Our mothers had to intervene. I got in quite a bit of trouble.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  07:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That might make a cool movie. Single White Tweenager :)

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 09/12/2006 07:32:41
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  16:42:43  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The climax where their mothers intervene and take them home doesn't quite seem to have the same emotional impact though...
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  01:41:49  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm the one whose life is slowly being co-opted by the other. I just realised she seems to have very few friends - but leeches onto mine like... like a leech. Really getting on my nerves at the moment. I've stopped spending lots of time at home for fear she'll know my social calendar.

Yes, slight exaggeration there. (Slight).

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  02:11:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You poor thing. I guess you just have no choice but to spend more time at the boy's house.

Seriously though. Just be glad you're not her.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  11:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myf

Ooh, a new book for Jo! What's the plot like?

No plot, just eye candy. I'm not at this school as much, but this book has a very nice cover to look at. And young, I'd say no older than 23.

Little kids leave no thought unspoken. I was in the same classroom for a few days this week and the first day they asked me my name and then said "You're not married?" I told them no and they responded "Oh, you're young!" Aren't they wonderful. The older elementary kids don't really care if you're married or not, they just ask "Why are you so little?" or "I'm taller than you." I can just imagine what I'll get if I switch to high school like I want to.

Edited by - Jokelly on 09/14/2006 11:46:46
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  16:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daughter's 14 and 13 year-old friends are taller than me. Daughter is past the top of my shoulder. I keep telling her I hope she'll be taller than me-- at least 5'4" would be nice. It would certainly make life a little more convenient. I wouldn't have to look so hard for someone to reach things down for me.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  17:02:42  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I thought that was the general reason men were around, siobhan; to reach stuff on the higher shelves.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  18:53:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But mine is never nearby when I need things reached down!
He takes off with the cart at the grocery store, leaving me with the unenviable task of hunting him down while carrying armloads of groceries. Can you tell this is a sore spot?
At least he does yard work and home maintenance. He also takes me seriously when I say the car is making an unusual noise. I'm pretty lucky in the stereotypical categories.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  21:09:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do rely on other people to reach things for me at the grocery store that are up high or at home in the cupboards. I didn't inherit either parent's height (mother was 5'10" and father 6'). Neither did my sister, but at least she's 5'6". She's got 4" of height on me. I always thought she was much taller than that for some reason.

Siobhan, does your hubby want to come and do my yard maintenance. It's and acre and a half of mostly steep hillside. Fun work.

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  01:43:25  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm 5'5", and am in the middle of my daughters--Laura is 5'7", and Sarah is 5'2", maybe an inch taller. She used to say she was 5'4", but we all knew she wasn't.

Even at my height, there are shelves I can't reach. I was particularly annoyed when Terry kept putting the M&Ms on a top shelf in the kitchen, so I had to use a chair to get the bag down. But after I complained, he quit. Lucky for him--never block me from the chocolate.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.