Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  02:00:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well we're still up.. so at least they have power!

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  10:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to leave everyone in suspenders ()!

Ernesto was pretty much a non-event for us, personally. It rained all day, but really dumped starting about 1 pm. I heard only one clap of thunder and that was last night about 5 pm. The NWS issued a flash flood warning, of course (they always do). When one lives so close to sea level, flooding is expected. E was to coincide with high tide, adding about 3' of storm surge. Any time it rains heavily at high tide, the penninsula floods, so add the storm surge (which was probably not as high as predicted since the storm didn't hit us directly) and most of downtown was definitely floody. We live across the Ashley River on a bit of high ground (also our house has a yard-high foundation), so though we had small water features throughout our yard, we did not have any flooding.
I spent the day reading.

Congratulations, diri!!!

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  11:16:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We still don't know if we're going to get the rains for Ernesto. We'll get rain, but we don't know if we'll get the 12 inches in one day that's been forcasted. If it shifts just slighly we may get as little as 2 inches. It's just a wait and see game.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  13:59:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrBen

We lower-hermispherians are simpletons when it comes to seasons. Everything happens on the first of the month.

WHAT? They don't happen like that everywhere? Someone needs to explain this to me.

Over here the seasons run thusly:

Winter: 1 November - 31 January
Spring: 1 February - 30 April
Summer: 1 May - 31 July
Autumn: 1 August - 31 October

I just assumed seasons changed at the same time everywhere. You mean it's not autumn yet in the States? And Australia are only starting spring now (I thought it would've began at the beginning of last month)? Oh dear.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  15:05:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bee, U.S seasons follow the solstices and equinoxes. So our seasons would be:

Winter: December 21st-March 19th
Spring: March 20th-June 20th
Summer: June 21th-September 21th
Fall: September 22nd-December 20th

These are estimates. Sometimes they are a day or two earlier or later depending on when the soltice or equinox is. This year the first day of Autumn is September 23rd and Winter is December 22nd, so you see it can fluctuate year to year.

Edited by - Jokelly on 09/02/2006 15:17:25
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  15:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, I'm shocked. SHOCKED!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  15:26:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehe, according to your spring, we'd still be getting snow the whole season where I live. We do have unofficial season beginnings. Labor Day (September 4th this year) is usually considered the "unnofficial" end of summer because traditionally kids go back to school the around that time. And the beginning of June is often thought of as the beginning of summer when schools are getting out for summer vacation.

Edited by - Jokelly on 09/02/2006 15:27:45
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  16:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee

Wow, I'm shocked. SHOCKED!
Rightly, too. Imagine a Purtainically based society marking the change of the seasons on the same days as the pagan calendar!!!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  22:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Labor Day to everyone in the U.S. Hope nobody has to work and everyone gets in their barbeque. It's been quite chilly this weekend, but we're supposed to go back up into the 70s this week.

I was at Big Lots the other day and saw the cutest Halloween sign. It was broom with a sign hanging underneath that said "Broom Rides, 50 cents" I may get a smaller one and hang it under the mailbox. Walmart had lifesize animated figures of different Halloween characters that sang "The Monster Mash" and said other stuff. The stores are all just polluted with decorations. It's the second most popular holiday for decorating, obviously Christmas being first. My neice wants a wench costume, like from the Renaissance festival. My nephew is thirteen and thinks he's too old now to dress up.

AMC and Dobbygirl, it doesn't look good for the Steelers this season. They lost all their preseason games, not unusual since Cowher uses them to test prospective players and doesn't play 1st string, but Big Ben is out for at least 2 games. He had to have an emergency appendectomy today. Poor boy has been through alot this summer. We could have really used Randel El right now. He's more of a loss than Bettis. But being Steelers fan, we're always pessimistic and spouting doomsday predictions.

Edited by - Jokelly on 09/03/2006 23:48:48
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  02:06:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know! I know! I saw that Big Ben was out and thought There goes the season... well at least we had last year.. I must have caught some of that Steeler pessimism. I love Bill Cowher. I know you know that - I just had to say it again.

Chilly? Chilly? Oh, we are just dying for Fall to start here, it's been in the 90s-100s. Enough, already!

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  09:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

I was at Big Lots the other day and saw the cutest Halloween sign. It was broom with a sign hanging underneath that said "Broom Rides, 50 cents" I may get a smaller one and hang it under the mailbox.
I thought the one that reads "broom parking, all others will be toad" was kind of funny.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  12:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMC, you've got the pessimism down, now we just need to work on your pronunciation of Steelers. It's "Stillers". A few years ago Heinz Ward had to have an emergency appendectomy during the preseason games and he only missed one game, so here's hoping Ben isn't out for long. As for Cowher, everyone thinks this is his last year in Pittsburgh. His contract is in it's one year extension and he hasn't renegotiated. Everyone thinks he's gone after this. His last daughter is finishing high school this year and he just built a multimillion dollar mansion in North Carolina and is moving there. When all this combined with no contract, it doesn't look good for keeping the Pittsburgh native in his hometown. Personally, I think it would be stupid for him to leave. The Rooneys are the most loyal employers in the league. In the past 40 years, they've only had 2 head coaches, Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher. The average employment for a league coach is only around 3 or 4 years. Why risk it? See, that pessimism is talking again

Maybe we should start a Steelers thread with the season starting this week.

Siobhan, aren't their signs cute! There was a ton of them, and all pretty cheap. Even at Walmart, their signs are a bit expensive. Especially for just painted wood.

I wasted the whole day yesterday watching the WE channel, not something I usually do. But they had a marathon of the show "Bridezillas". This show utterly facinates me. I'm just in love with it. I catch it when I can, but yesterday was like a trainwreck when you watch a whole season at one time. I usually hate reality shows, but there is something about a beautiful woman in a wedding dress, surrounded by her closest friends and family dropping the f-bomb and threatening everyone in sight whilst screaming "It's MY day." And the grooms are so passive! If I were one of those men, I would have left the bride before the wedding. One bride made her fiance cry! And then looked at him and angrily said "Are you really worth all this?" Now I might say this jokingly, but she was dead serious. Then they show these fancy black-tie "perfect weddings" and everyone looks so bored at the receptions. This is just the best show on television. It reaffirms my commitment to eloping.

Edited by - Jokelly on 09/04/2006 12:10:34
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  18:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

Happy Labor Day to everyone in the U.S. Hope nobody has to work and everyone gets in their barbeque. It's been quite chilly this weekend, but we're supposed to go back up into the 70s this week.

Well, I have to work....but like I've said before I'm well compensated plus I just got my yearly raise.

quote:
AMC and Dobbygirl, it doesn't look good for the Steelers this season. They lost all their preseason games, not unusual since Cowher uses them to test prospective players and doesn't play 1st string, but Big Ben is out for at least 2 games. He had to have an emergency appendectomy today. Poor boy has been through alot this summer. We could have really used Randel El right now. He's more of a loss than Bettis. But being Steelers fan, we're always pessimistic and spouting doomsday predictions.

Yeah and good luck with Batch. He played for the Lions a few years back. He was ok, but very inconsistant. I have high hopes for the Lions this year (but I think I say that every year, what can I say, I'm hopeless). As long as we win more games than the Packers, I'll be a happy camper.

On a sadder note, has everyone heard the news on Steve Irwin, the "Crocodile Hunter", dying in a freak sting ray accident? It's been all over the news here in the states. I was totally shocked. It didn't seem like anything could hurt him. I feel so sad for his family, especially his kids, they're so young.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  21:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I first heard the news at work this morning during while we were letting the dogs out. One girl was asking another girl if she had heard the news this morning because Steve Irwin had died the night before. At first I thought it was another one of those celebrity death rumors.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  00:47:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was really sad, DG, I saw it.

Jo, I really wish you lived closer, I'd love to watch TV with you. Between Bridezilla and the.. Stillers? (I'm working on it) we'd have a grand old time. I've never seen the WE channel but your description is irresistable.

Why would Cowher retire? He's young! Why would he go elsewhere? He's a perfect coach for the Steelers and you can't say they haven't given him a lot of room to prove himself! Why doesn't he have a longer contract??? That's just nutso.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  08:45:14  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
*waves* Hey everyone.

Yes, it is sad about Steve Irwin dying in such a freak accident. I didn't really like the way he perpetuated the stereotype of ocker, coarse Australians, but he seemed like a good bloke and full of enthusiasm so it's sad. His poor family.

A quick apology for my absence - after mocking the universe because I've not had a cold this year... I came down with one on Sunday. So at the moment I feel quite wretched and very tired. And of course I have managed to sign on for more work this week - now I go off and do a full day at uni or on placement, and then I go and do a couple of hours interviewing in the evening. No wonder I have no voice left! Plus, very little spare time. Theo, if you're reading this, the beta of ch14 may be slightly delayed.

Anyway, *yawn*. Bedtime.

*hugs* to all.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  11:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning! Had a lovely long three-day weekend and was not in the mood to come back to work, but here I am.

Myf, sorry to hear about your cold. Do try to squeeze some rest into your busy schedule. Don't worry about the delay on ch14. I don't expect any plot problems there, so I'm not stressed about it. Ch15 is coming along and will likely reach you by the end of the week.

I was terribly shocked and saddened to hear about Steve Irwin. He was obviously very intelligent and sincerely committed to the animals and he has to have been one of the nicest people on tv. I feel so sorry for his kids, especially since he must have been a tremendous dad. He seemed the sort who would have loved to play with his kids. So very, very sad.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  12:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I woke up and turned on the tv and they were having a story on stingrays being docile usually and I was wondering why this was their developing story, so I watched for a few minutes and was shocked at Steve Irwin's death. I always thought some crocodile would eat him in the end, not some creatures that's now known for killing. It was a shock.

quote:
Yeah and good luck with Batch. He played for the Lions a few years back. He was ok, but very inconsistant.

My dad hates Batch for some reason. Says he's not good and too old to be a backup quarterback. They did just add a third QB to the roster, Brian St. Pierre.

quote:
Jo, I really wish you lived closer, I'd love to watch TV with you. Between Bridezilla and the.. Stillers? (I'm working on it) we'd have a grand old time. I've never seen the WE channel but your description is irresistable.

AMC, I don't know if it's like this in other cities, but if you go shopping on a Sunday afternoon in Autumn the stores are empty. It's the best time to shop to avoid the crowds. Everyone is home watching the game. And you can be assured that the Steeler game will be broadcasted over the store's steakers. It's a football obsessed town. I'm considered a novice. My sister actually screams at the tv when she watches, wears her lucky Heinz Ward jersey, and tries to tell Cowher how to coach through the tv. Of course, she does the same thing with baseball. As for Cowher leaving, the consensus is that he wants to coach somewhere else (rumor has it NC). Bad decision, IMO.

As for the WE channel, it stands for "Women's Entertainment". It used to be the Romance channel and they play sappy old love stories. But their original show "Bridezillas" is excellent. Seasons 1 and 2 are available on DVD now. I was having dinner with my dad the other night and I recounted all the brides for him. Didn't seem too interested, but agreed that one particular woman's fiance should have dumped her long before the ceremony. Here is the show's website: http://www.we.tv/uploads/Bridezillas2006/

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  12:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am currently not feeling well; am off my antidepressants again, because the NHS makes sure that renewing a presecrition is too much bother to be worth the effort, at least until the withdrawl sets in. Ah, the glories of a seratonin crash; it's like a psychotic break and a hangover in one!

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  12:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope you get your meds, soon, Diri. How long will it take for renewing your prescription?

Hope you and Myf are feeling better.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  14:11:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Diri! You should be careful - Really bad things can happen when you go off anti-depressants suddenly. PLEASE Go get that Rx renewed, whatever it takes! I'm so sorry you're feeling horrible.

Hope you feel better Myf!

I'm being murdered by my allergies - I won't give details, but it's icky. I hate September.

Jo - here, the one day you can be sure to find ski slopes and malls empty is Super Bowl Sunday. Other than that... you'd scarcely know football season exists, unless you're in a bar that's showing a game. We don't have a local team and no one really cares - people frequently still root for their old home teams, and since everyon came here from somewhere else, everyone has an "old home"! But we're just not a Football town, it's a small deal compared with Basketball, Baseball... or even Hockey. Assuming professional Hockey hasn't self-destructed already.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  15:53:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get well soon, Myf and Diri!
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  17:28:32  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey Diri, I agree with AMC - please be careful with your meds! I'm doing a subject in psychopharmacology at the moment, and the reasons why it's important not to come straight off a lot of drugs has been drummed into us. I know it must be hard dealing with the bureaucracy of health in the UK, but please be careful!

*hugs* And good luck.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  03:24:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been a weird few days. I just found out that a very close family friend has died. It was completely out of the blue; she was barely older than my mother, she hadn't been ailing and wasn't substantially more unhealthy than could be expected for someone her age. One minute she was doing the dishes, the next she was dead. They're saying it was a heart attack, but I can't understand how that could have happened.

The ultimate irony of all this is that her husband was diagnosed with a brain tumor a few years ago, and had to have his petuitary gland removed. No one expected him to live long after that. He's been surviving on medication ever since, but he's come roaring back and now is almost his old self again. Strange how death acts sometimes. There's just no logic to it.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  11:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diri, will they do an autopsy? Sometimes there are no warning signs for heart conditions. That's how it was with my brother. If she didn't have any previous heart trouble, could it have been an aneurysm? My cousin was a healthy 50 year old and died instantly of an aneurysm in the brain. With no warning signs and in good health, we were all shocked when he passed away. Sometimes it does seem there is no logic to anything.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  11:48:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They're going to do one, yes. I imagine it could be an aneurysm, or perhaps some kind of thrombosis. It's hard to deal with when it's so far away. One of the frustrating things about living in England is that an entire section of my family is completely cut off.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  15:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a cheery lot we are. Husband and I just found out that a friend has been diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). The doctors locally are 85% sure of the diagnosis. There will be more tests to come that will be able to say more definitively (99% accuracy). He's been told he has 3-5 years. These degenerative diseases are so rotten. The victim stays fully mentally alert while the body deteriorates.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  03:14:09  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that didn't do anything to cheer us up, Siobhan. That's one of those horrible diseases that attacks young people, who are apparently healthy otherwise. And since they don't fully understand why one person gets it and another doesn't, it's very hard to work on any sort of cure.

About 10 years ago, a friend of mine had a girl in her Camp Fire group, whose father has ALS. It was really hard for this girl to watch her father's slow deterioration.

All I can say is--y'all need to get healthy again.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  10:39:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually this friend is in his 50's - 60's. He first noticed a weakness in his legs which was thought to be a neurological disorder that would pass (that's what the doctor said). When it didn't get better and our friend found he couldn't carry his 1 yr old grandson upstairs, he went in for another opinion. He seems to be handling it well, so far, though. All those trips and fun things he meant to do are going to be done now.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  11:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandfather had a heart attack in his late fifties; he was then diagnosed with skin cancer, which metastisised and entered his liver. Against all medical expectation, he recovered, and lived for another five years, before dying (very quickly) of ALS.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 09/07/2006 11:12:45
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.