Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  14:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have loved to see you two in the middle of the store wearing those costumes.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  14:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm was a little sad when I was in college about Halloween. When I was an undergrad people dressed up in costume for class. Not everyone, but you wouldn't feel like an idiot if you dressed up. A few years later when I was back for grad school nobody dressed up! A bunch of prudes the younger students were. They were too good to dress up, except the preschool/daycare ran on campus. It was so cute because they would all dress up in costumes and take them trick-or-treating around the campus offices. You'd see a group of 30 little toddlers and preschoolers in costume mixed in with all the college kids. All the offices knew to have candy ready and many of the professors stocked it too for them.

I got my teaching certificate today. They didn't put my University's name on it so I don't know if this is okay or a mistake. I hope it's not because that means 5 more weeks of waiting. They messed up my certificate the first time I received it years ago by putting the wrong college on it. It took over a month to fix that. This time they just didn't put any on it. It might not be required since I just took the Praxis tests to get certified and didn't go back to school. I'm going to email them to see what's going on. Nothing can be easy.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 08/24/2006 14:42:53
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  14:53:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JKRisSuperior

I would have loved to see you two in the middle of the store wearing those costumes.
They were quite convincing costumes, if I do say so myself. Unfortunately we have no photos of us in them and since those days we look a bit more like the original crew did when they came back for the movies.

Hope everything works out Jo. Have some chocolate cake with fudge sauce, that will make it all better. And some tea!

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  15:32:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's my favorite, chocolate cake with fudge sauce.

*talks through big bite of cake*

According to my father, I have to have some form of chocolate everyday. Not true, but very close to it.

Edited by - Jokelly on 08/24/2006 15:34:15
Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  08:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mmm chocolate - I was given the most yummy chocolate brownies for free yesterday at an open air cinema performance of Dirty Dancing. I have never known open air screens being erected for films before in my area, it isn't something that has any history in the U.K. Obviously it did absolutley piss it down at one point, and a lot of people left. The true die-hards stood under the trees as the water swamped our waterproofs and our groundsheets flooded. There were various declarations of refusing to go home because we were British. I love that insane thing we have.

Once it stopped I was absolutely soaked, but we stuck it out to the end. The fact that we all started to get chilled about 10 minutes from the end of the film was probably a factor in everyone getting up to dance about like eejits for the finale. Well over a thousand people on the grass in a square which must date from the 18th Century. It was a great architectural backdrop, and there was free popcron and drinks for everyone. There was lots of cheering at all the key lines in the film - that is the one thing I love about crowds of people and well-known films. We are not big audience-participation people generally in this country, so I enjoy that shared response.

Speaking of sticking at outdoor activites when the weather just isn't co-operating, I was at a friend's birthday picnic last sunday, in a serious gale. We had to use all the cans of ginger beer and bottles of lemonade to weigh down the groundsheets which were trying to blow away. We were all sat there in jumpers with hoods up saving the tea in the flask for when it got really cold. We have some great photographs of us all looking perished, and of course, after spending so long trying to convince ourselves that we were having fun, it ended up being a really good afternoon.

I don't know if anyone remembers me saying that I was looking after a couple of my mother's plants a couple of weeks ago. Well, one is doing really well, and the other one's leaves are turning yellow and falling off at an alarming rate. She is back tomorrow, so what I need to know is technically, if it dies after I've given it back does that still could as vegicide?

Newguise xxx
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  09:31:53  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ah, the great English summer, eh Nuggy?

Sounds like the same weather we're having here. Today was gorgeous and sunny, but nowhere near hot enough for my tastes. I remember you and Diri sweltering in London that day, when I was in my element. Can you believe that was a year ago?

Tonight I watched an episode of a BBC drama from a couple of years ago, Blackpool. It was really crazy but completely great - random people singing along to excellent 50s and 60s music in the middle of dramatic scenes. Quite enjoyed David Tennant with his proper Scottish accent singing 'These Boots are made for Walking' and doing the tango with the other main (male) character. I must get the rest of the series somewhere...

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  22:32:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in a weird state. A young boy was arrested and booked for meowing at a neighbor. I heard this story on the national news this week and knew it was from PA, but I just assumed it was out by Philadelphia. Seems every time the boy saw his neighbor he meowed at her. David Letterman talked about it on his show, it made the Associate Press, and has been on national news circuit. I was reading MSNBC tonight and found the story and discovered that it's a local case. My area gets in the national news and it's for a boy meowing. Last year it was for a man licking toes of women wearing flip flops at a public library. Maybe our water should be tested.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  01:22:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'd enjoy watching just about anyone sing These Boots were made for Walking - it's a song that could turn just about any performance into camp.

Meowing at a neighbor is a crime??? Even in PA, that's odd.

I spent the whole day finishing the flooring and trim on my home office / guest room. It looks lovely and I am BEAT - it is amazing how much work the little stuff takes, even when you're not a perfectionist (and I am not). I now have two sweet little shelves packed full of junk in my closet and just about every furniture surface in the room is clear - a minor miracle, believe me! The desk still has a small pile of papers but those can be dealt with shortly. I'll speak shortly to them and those small papers will march off, completely cowed.

We worked so hard today that I refused to cook - we ordered in sushi and drank sake - it almost makes it worth working hard when you decide you deserve a good dinner someone else prepared!

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  04:47:16  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Your day sounds neat, AMC. I can't wait to own a place, then I can actually DO stuff to make it better. So often I've lived in places which would have benefitted from a bit of work, but when you rent, you don't touch!

*miaows at Jo* I dare you to call the police.

Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  11:01:32  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
*whispers* I have lovely chocolate to share.

Hubby came home Wednesday evening, and had a back pack full of chocolate. Even he can't believe he bought that much. I'll divide it up with the girls, but there is still a lot of it. So, would you like truffles or patilles today?

Jo, I heard about the boy and couldn't believe it. They said that the woman had complained so much about their cat digging in her garden (or something like that), that they gave the cat to someone else. Then the boy meowed at her as she walked by--two different times. I think it's really funny, but she apparently didn't and called the police to charge him with harrassment. Oh, brother. They should have just laughed at her and gone off to another call. I can't believe they actually arrested a kid for acting like a kid. I mean, really, they could have just warned him and let it go at that.

Siobhan, I know what you mean about going in stores in costume. I don't mind that so much, but we always have a mis-match day at day camp, and sometimes I wear really bizarre things together. That's always the day I have to go to the store during camp or stop on the way home. Unfortunately, the day camp dirt doesn't help either.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  06:22:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myf

Ah, the great English summer, eh Nuggy?

Sounds like the same weather we're having here. Today was gorgeous and sunny, but nowhere near hot enough for my tastes. I remember you and Diri sweltering in London that day, when I was in my element. Can you believe that was a year ago?

I thought I was underdressed that day as I left the house at 6am to catch the coach in jeans and a cardigan. A mere 6 hours later and I was practically melting when I met up with you two. I can manage heat when it is consistent day in and day out. I have aclimatised in the U.S. and Central Europe before, but in this country there is so much fluctuation no one has a chance to build up a tolerance to the heat when it comes. A year ago on thursday to be exact - it really doesn't seem that long ago...

Tonight I watched an episode of a BBC drama from a couple of years ago, Blackpool. It was really crazy but completely great - random people singing along to excellent 50s and 60s music in the middle of dramatic scenes. Quite enjoyed David Tennant with his proper Scottish accent singing 'These Boots are made for Walking' and doing the tango with the other main (male) character. I must get the rest of the series somewhere...

My Mum was a fan of that, Myf, when it was on. As well as the series I think they did a one-off special afterwards too which was really good.

Our washing machine leaked so we are drying out the kitchen. Fun, fun fun.

Newguise xxx

Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  07:44:08  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Did you watch Blackpool too, Nuggy, or have I been getting into something aimed at mums? (I have a feeling my mum liked it too.)

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  08:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a personal grudge against Blackpool, and so in general avoid anything Blackpool-related. Having arrived, age seven, from California, where an amusement park closes down in three weeks if it doesn't feature at least three corkscrew rollercoasters, at a nation so averse to the concept of fun that the best they could manage was Blackpool, I went into a semi-permanent funk. The UK in the eighties was a bloody lousy place to be a kid. Things have improved a bit now; Thorpe Park finally has some decent rides, and Alton Towers has more than two good coasters.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  10:54:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore

*whispers* I have lovely chocolate to share.
Hubby came home Wednesday evening, and had a back pack full of chocolate.
I can't believe they let him on the plane with it. Couldn't it be considered a liquid when melted?We're considering going to WA for the holidays this year, but I'm not sure I'm up to battling the airlines again so soon. The flights, once started, weren't bad, but the scheduling, seating, and check in were worthy of nightmares. Security wasn't bad, but keeping up with the latest regulations is not something I have a lot of time for. The holidays will be even worse.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  10:19:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I haven't slept in 33 hours, the printers got my pages wrong and forced me to redo all the footnotes and several page numbers in my own vile, disabled handwriting, I've had to walk the equivalent of two London marathons because some idiot decided that a page about corporate timelines would make a brilliant backdrop for my page ten, BUT....

I handed in my Masters thesis. For what it was worth. Now excuse me while I go sleep for about three years.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  10:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with the Masters, Diri. Sorry to hear the printer made you redo your footnotes and page numbers.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  14:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't it a relief when you get done with a big project, Diri.

I battled a migraine all day yesterday. I think it's the change in weather. I woke up with it in my left temple and finally it went away in the afternoon, then it came back in the evening in the right temple. I haven't had one for months, but spring and autumn are the bad times of year for me.

Siobhan, how are you doing with Ernesto? Are you all prepared? I see it's been downgraded to a Tropical Storm, but the flooding is a problem. It's headed straight through the Carolinas, up through the Virginias, Maryland, and PA. Meteorologies are saying it could bring severe flooding along the way. Something about the mountains forcing the storm higher causes the storm to act like a sponge and so produces even more rain. There was more of an explanation, but all I remembered was the sponge. It's supposed to reach us on Saturday.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  14:48:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl

I handed in my Masters thesis. For what it was worth. Now excuse me while I go sleep for about three years.

Oh, now that deserves a celebration!

*prods diri till he wakes up* (sorry)

*dons party hat*

Whee! Who's going to bake a cake?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Slushy
Giddy

37 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  15:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*pop*

*claps hands*

*conjures ten round cakes of different sizes and flavors. The cakes take the form of a model of the solar system, complete with a chocolate cupcake for Pluto*

*claps hands again*

*cakes levitate and start rotating and revolving in grand fasion*

*curtsies*

*pop*

Proud House-elf of S.I.N.U.S.
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  16:42:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mmmm, cake!
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  18:05:59  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey Diri - brilliant work! Well done for finishing that monster - I'm jealous as anything.

Now, we don't expect to see you on here for a least a month. Maybe stay away from computers for a while, get some air and bloody enjoy yourself!

Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  19:18:23  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've taken today off work (compensation for last Sunday) and I plan to do not a lot with it. I've been out for a walk in the glorious warmth of the first day of Spring. Later I might sit outside and read a book with a cool drink.

Nice work, Diri. I see there's something to be said about owning your own printer, which I don't. Stories like this make me think about getting one...
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  20:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are so very cheap...

Congratulations, Diri! That's wonderful news!

First day of Spring? Our first day of Fall isn't for 3 weeks yet, do the Vernal and Autumnal Equinoxes in our different hemispheres not fall on the same date? How confusing.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  20:50:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking the same thing, AMC. The vernal equinoxes isn't for a month

Printers are cheap. You can pick a basic one up at Walmart for under $30. Not top quality, but better than nothing.

Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  21:25:51  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We lower-hermispherians are simpletons when it comes to seasons. Everything happens on the first of the month.
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  21:57:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Count me in as someone else who didn't know the seasons started on the first of the month.
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  22:39:16  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Seriously. We are simpletons. I know that it shouldn't be for another 3 weeks but it's 23*C/74*F so I don't care what the equinox thinks.

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  23:15:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats Diri!! Magnificent achievement. I never had the guts to do a thesis which is why I never went for my Masters. Good show all of you who have tackled that.

Speaking of seasons, it broke 100 here again today, so summer hasn't had its last hurrah yet. I am very much looking forward to autumn though. It's my favorite season.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  23:25:26  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Autumn is my favourite season too. (Theowyn and I agree on everything once again!) :)
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  00:36:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Autumn's my favorite, too. It's beautiful in Pennsylvania in the Autumn.

Myf, 74F is NOT cold. That is very, very warm. I'd love to see you in the Northern U.S. in winter when temperatures go below zero (Fahrenheit, of course).

Theo, you don't have to do a thesis for all Masters degree. I never had to write one. It depends on the the University and the program you go into. Some universities assign hand-on projects instead of a thesis. I was in Education, but my friend was in the MBA program and he had some project to do. The writing, though, is what has kept me out of the Doctorate programs. I don't think I'm up to full blown research. I would live happily if I never had to do another literature review again.

Ernesto may not hit us at all. They're not sure. A slight shift to the west and we could be in for some serious flooding. Right now the storm is heading east. We'll still get some rain but nothing serious. Siobhan may be underwater right now. I saw there was flooding in Charleston, SC. Hope she's okay.

Edited by - Jokelly on 09/01/2006 00:39:35
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.