Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  11:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was really tempted to take a picture of the woman in the skimpy outfit just because it was so unusual..and she was a judge for the competition. The competition, which eventually got rained out, was forced to move to the gymnasium where they forgot to bring the trophies which got broken in the storm. Turns out the host school won first place in almost everything, which we heard would happen before it the competition even started. The other schools weren't too shocked by the results.

As for my nephew, he has a deep bruise in his shoulder and has to wear it in a sling for two weeks. No breakage that they know of, but they want to x-ray it again next week as a precaution if not better. The doctors were shocked it wasn't broken. Meanwhile, we find out his coach wouldn't even look at the injury after he came off the field crying. There's a big league blow up about them not getting medical attention to him. It's like a little soap opera. Sadly, the ultimate decision will be he'll never play 1st string after he's well because the coach will blame him for getting chastised.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  13:15:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone

Sorry not to drop in the past week. I had the week off work and was at home, but spent the entire time painting. We managed the front of the house (outside) before traditional summer weather (torrential rain and two big thunder storms) hit, which forced us to move to the bathroom walls.

The bathroom was a particularly violent turquoise (the last owner [male] must have been colourblind) which was unwise in such a small room. Everyone who has come and looked round the house did a double take when they saw it. It was a shame really, because it was the best paint job in all of the rooms we have, and had clearly been done quite recently. Pity it was just so obnoxious. The bathroom is now a lovely serene blue and I'm amazed at how much I like it. I didn't think I could feel so strongly about a bathroom, but it just goes to show.

I'm hoping the weekend will be fine so that we can paint the back of the house. This is probably a forlorn hope because next monday is a bank holiday, and people will be taking long weeknds away. Thus rain is pretty much inevitable.

I like Emily Watson a lot. The more I catch her in things the more impressed I am. I haven't seen Breaking the Waves, so I might see if our local rental shop have it.

The practically-naked woman was judging the competition?! Wow, you'd think under those circumstances that a sense of authority for this event might have inspired a more demure approach, but clearly not. I'm obviously out-of-touch and old before my time.

Newguise xxx
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  13:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Nuggy! *waves*

That's funny, my friend just moved into a house with a violent turquoise bathroom. Is there a trend for painting tiny rooms insanely unsuitable colours?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  13:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe one of those endless home decorating television programmes is to blame. I try to avoid the ones that involve time restrictions and arty types doing unholy things to people's sitting rooms. (Yes I bet the family would love to have gold-sprayed skip-dodging junk stuck to their walls/leopard print fabric everywhere/a funky retro theme that looks like a cheap nightclub you wouldn't be seen dead in...)

One of them is probably to blame for violent turquoise in bathrooms.

*waves at Bee and blows kiss*

Newguise xxx

P.S. I am now expecting a barrage of posts in which you all tell me I've just described your dream sitting room.
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  14:17:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I did knit Invisible Intarsia leopard socks for a certain someone a couple of years ago.

We didn't have any horrid colours to deal with, just old faded paint and gloss white on walls that were not properly sanded. I've seen those programmes you are talking about. They make me really angry. Interior decorators are supposed to be guiding the rennovations for the people who have to live there, not dictating what they personally want to see. URGH!

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  19:03:08  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh, some of those rooms end up the most awful colours. I remember a particular episode where the decorator insisted on bright colours and polkadots. Obviously the editors also thought it was stupid because they had a scene with the decorator and the handyman arguing. The handyman was standing in the adjoining loungeroom - which was heritage olive green - sarcastically saying, "Yeah, it really matches the rest of the house!" and the decorator petulantly insisting that it did. The returning family were as impressed as the handyman.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  20:28:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to love Trading Spaces the first two seasons. Most of the stuff was normal and not too out there, but after the show got popular they started to get weird. I haven't watched it in years. I usually cringe when they get to painting woodwork and moldings.

My aunt just moved and is repainting her new house before all their belongings are moved up. She said she felt like one of those horrid home decorating shows worked on her house. She didn't care for the gold bathroom or lime green bedroom.

I grew up with the ugliest wallpaper ever in my bedroom. It was a weird shade a green, usually a color I love, and had dandelions after they turn white all over it. It was already papered that when my parents bought the house in the early 70's and they just never got around to changing it.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  21:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love green. It's one of my favourite colours. I've been watching the gold slip into the green of the leaves since late July. Autumn green is almost here.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  21:32:10  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My house was entirely off-white. (Okay, not the ceilings.) It was the most boring house evah. Painting the walls has been sensational, even though I have about 30 sample pots to illustrate my varying levels of failure.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  23:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
None of my walls are white, or even off-white. I actually enjoy painting, as long as I don't have to climb a ladder. And I've gotten really good at spackling old plaster walls in the past year. I was supposed to do a mural on my nephew's wall, but now he doesn't know how he wants it. He's a moody teenager now so nothing is good anymore. My neice on the other hand wants to do her room in neon green. Don't know if her mother will go for that, but I'd let her if she were mine.

Siobhan, isn't it beautiful in the fall. I feel sorry for for people in the southwest who don't get to experience it. I think we're going to have an early autumn though. There's just a feeling in the air, and the animals are foraging early for this time of year. I just hope we don't have a bad winter.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  04:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding unseasonal weather, we in the UK have been going through a two-year drought, and water levels in the southeast are reaching critical. In the spirit of public duty, I have been, ahem, letting it mellow, as they say.

However, I have noticed that, yellow or brown, eventually it makes one's bathroom stink to high heaven. I'm seeking alternatives. I thought about putting a brick in the tank, but finding a brick is a lot harder than you might think.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  05:12:34  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Diri, I had a brick just last week but I threw it out! If only I'd known!

Australia is suffering similar water problems. We've been in drought conditions for the past 10 years or so, with global warming generally cited as the source of the problem.
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  07:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

My neice on the other hand wants to do her room in neon green. Don't know if her mother will go for that, but I'd let her if she were mine.

While I do agree with you, it can be a bit dangerous letting kids pick out their own decor. I decorated my bedroom when I was eight years old and am still living with the consequences. Some people would probably think it's cute, but it's not to my taste at all, and never really was apart from a brief phase I must've went through back then. I hated it within six months. Everything - EVERYTHING - is either pink or covered with large pink flowers. It looks like a Barbie playhouse.

I hadn't realised there's still a drought in the UK. I wish we'd rather less water over here.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  11:33:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We actually need rain. We're not in a drought but our water level is down. We get thunderstorms but they're sporadic. Evidently we're not too short of rain since everything is still green, but it wouldn't hurt for a storm or two to go through. Plus, I just love thunderstorms.

*goes out into yard and get Diri a brick* I think shipping and handling will be kinda high though.

Don't you have home improvement stores or landscaping places around the city? You can find one every 5 miles in the suburbs here, but there are a few in the city, also. At least within a bus ride. You can buy individual bricks for pennies. What does a brick in the tank do?

Bee, my view is that it's only paint. If she gets sick of it then let her repaint it. A gallon of paint is relatively cheap. She has a multicolored bed set right now so any color she paints it will match. She's 11, that's old enough to learn how to use a paint roller. If she wants it changed, she could do it herself.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  11:52:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A brick in the tank cuts the amount of water used when flushing the toilet. Apparently, if everyone in the US put a brick in their toilet tank there wouldn't need to be a Hoover Dam.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  12:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diri, can't you pick one out of a skip? I don't know if there are people renovating houses or doing maintenance in your area, but if you see a builder working on a house, I'd just go and see if they have one they don't need. You might get some pretty funny looks, but then one has to make these sacrifices for the environment - suffer for your cause

Jo, the mind really is boggling - do tell how one goes about 'spackling old plaster walls...'. It is such a good verb I want to try it.

Newguise xxx
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  13:29:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl

A brick in the tank cuts the amount of water used when flushing the toilet.

That's a great idea for older toilets with large tanks. However, newer models already have much smaller "enviornmentally friendly" tanks, eliminating the need for said brick. Unfortunately, that also makes the toilet stop up more often because of the lack of flushing power. As a result you end up "defensive" flushing more often, using more water. It's a vicious cycle, I tell you!

quote:
Apparently, if everyone in the US put a brick in their toilet tank there wouldn't need to be a Hoover Dam.

Tell that to Las Vegas.

Edited by - n/a on 08/22/2006 13:33:53
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  13:50:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Newguise
Jo, the mind really is boggling - do tell how one goes about 'spackling old plaster walls...'. It is such a good verb I want to try it.
Newguise xxx

Nuggy, you don't have spackle in the U.K.? It's not fun and very tedious work, but if you have an old house it's necessary. Spackle is a material about the consistency of cake icing/frosting and you fill cracks and holes in the wall with it. After it dries you have to sand it down flat with the wall. You can also use joint compound. So when you're doing this you are spackling.

Here is a definition from Dictionary.com:
quote:
spackle
n : powder (containing gypsum plaster and glue) that when mixed with water forms a plastic paste used to fill cracks and holes in plaster [syn: spackling compound]

Edited by - Jokelly on 08/22/2006 13:51:55
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  14:34:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
diri, I bet between us we can locate a brick if WHEN you come visit. It'll be a nice souvenir for you!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  14:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My essay will be handed in on the 31st. After that I'm all yours. Let me know when it's convenient for you

According to Bill Bryson, spackle= PolyFilla.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 08/22/2006 14:53:23
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  16:43:44  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is it just Australian toilets that have the half-flush feature?
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  17:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just stayed in a hotel that had one, Ben - only it had two flush buttons - 1 for a 1 liter flush and the other for a 6 liter flush.. they were nicely labelled "#1" and "#2"! I think it's a great idea but it isn't exactly common here.

I adore those home improvement shows! We don't have cable so I only get to see them when I travel. We watched a few in hotel rooms last week but some of them were really ugly - apparently some of the people involved in "flipping" houses are rotten slimeballs. Gee, who knew?

I thought of you all as we drove 2,232 miles in the 11 days of our trip. The scenery was... amazing. I'll see if I can post some pictures of it later on.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  18:24:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl

My essay will be handed in on the 31st. After that I'm all yours. Let me know when it's convenient for you

First couple of weeks in September work best for me. I'm back to college after that, but I'm bound to have days off... I hope.

2,232 miles, AMC? You just put my four hour roadtrip to shame!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  21:07:04  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
AMC, that's a lot of miles to drive. And you are all still speaking to one another? I'm impressed.

Instead of a brick, which can begin to fall apart over time in the water, try filling a 1 liter bottle with water and put that in the tank instead. It accomplishes the same thing, and it does work. However, I'd suggest removing it once in a while and just cleaning the outside of it off--bleah.

I think I killed Terry's computer. All I wanted to do was change my wallpaper and my screen saver, which worked fine. But then I changed the settings on the dumb calendar he had on it, since it was too big and neon green, and the whole thing froze. By the time I managed to log out, the start up screen was huge and pixalated, so I shut down and restarted and now have a blue screen (never a good sign) with a really weird message. And the weirdest thing of all is that it says to restart the computer, but it won't shut down. Spooky

I'd turn it off on the power strip, but I am not tall enough to reach behind the desk to do it. So, now that I can't access any of my files on the PC, I'm just going to leave it alone and let him deal with it when he gets home from Germany tomorrow. Won't make him happy, but there you go. If I shut everything down, then I probably won't get my laptop on again either. At least this way, I can still play.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  22:24:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with that computer, Eeyore. Could your kids or their husbands look at it?
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  01:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooops! That sounds like a small problem with your display settings, I'm sure it will work itself out once you can reboot the PC - it'll want to restart in "safe" mode, let it and then reset the display settings back to what they was. Can you unplug the power strip instead of turning it off?

Yes, we're still speaking to each other! We had lots of fun. The first two days out and the last day coming back were the only really long drives, together they added up to about 1300 of the 2200 miles. The other trips were meanders through beautiful open country, with our destination a national park or a river (or a Dairy Queen) so the actual car-time wasn't that much. We hiked, shopped, went to museums, watched wildlife, soaked in hot springs, did a river-raft trip.. lots of fun things. It was endless amusement and now it's just... endless laundry.

BTW, I drove by Lake Mead (the lake behind Hoover Dam) and also Lake Powell (the lake made when they flooded Glen Canyon) and I can tell you.. those lakes weren't built to fill toilets, them dams are major hydro-electrical generators. Negative environmental impact aside (and there's lots of that) they are amazing and impressive feats of engineering. You look down and think "I didn't know this much concrete existed in the whole world". It's a total trip.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  13:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo I may have spackled just last week! Our bathroom walls were a bit rough, so we did some filling. It wasn't a powder that we mixed with water - we had a special water resistant one that would survive steam in bathrooms and not fall out of the walls. I was fine with the filling, and the scaping it reasonably flat, but I was abysmal at sanding it down. I'm not sure I have those muscles, maybe they are the throwing ones, because I don't have those either. Even with the electric sander, I was a bit haphazard. I'm clearly a painter, rather than a preparation person.

*Has spackled*

Heh.

Newguise xxx
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  14:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You spackled then, Newguise. Spackle is a brand name that got adopted for general use, much like Kleenex. I always use the paste, never mix it myself. At some point, I want to go room by room and rip out the plaster and lathe then put in insulation and then wallboard. But that's too much work to do right now.

Diri, if you ask for polyfilla over here people might misunderstand you and send you to a craft/notions store. Polyfill is a material used to stuff pillows and cushions or stuffed animals. My mom used to use it when she made quits.

AMC, I'm jealous of your trip. I watched a program last night about the Grand Canyon and the little seen by tourist site Havasu Falls on the Travel Channel. Absolutely beautiful.

Edited by - Jokelly on 08/23/2006 14:47:15
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  18:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all! Sorry I haven't been around. I've been obsessed with my Sims world and ignoring everything else (including my house work).

Ah, spackling....not my favorite home improvement chore. I had to do quite a bit of that in our computer room. This house had a basement put in around 10 year ago and when they moved the house, some of the walls cracked. The worst ones were in the computer room. I had more fun removing the wall paper.

Hopefully work will get better soon. My boss was supposed to put up a job posting for another supervisor. If she does hire one, that would help out the rest of us soooooo much. No more massive overtime, no more working alone.

My niece just moved up here from Missouri! She's staying with my mom and sister. She came up for a visit and has decided to stay. She lived in the middle of nowhere in Missouri and couldn't find a job. She's hoping to find one around here. My mom has given her two months to find a job. If she had a car she could easily get a job at the casino.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  13:48:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've found Daughter's Halloween costume pattern!

I know this would seem a mundane thing, but Daughter usually chooses a rather obscure character for her costume. Hermione was the easiest to recognise. Kiki (from Kiki's Delivery Service) and Starfire (from Teen Titans) were a little harder. This year it's Star Trek, the Next Generation (I think she has a thing for Capt. Picard-- like Mother, like Daughter). I had the Simplicity patterns from the first season for adults. No, I've never been to a Trek convention, but I did make the costumes one year for a Halloween party Husband and I went to. We had to stop at a grocery store on the way to the party. Here we are, in full Star Fleet uniform right down to the sound effect communicator pins and a tricorder, and no one gave us a second glance-- not even a "live long and prosper" or "make it so" joke. People are so jaded. Then again there was the woman who stopped us and asked us if we would take her back to the Enterprise with us-- in all seriousness. She was a little scary.
At least Daughter doesn't care whether her costume is recognised. She just thinks it will be cool.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.