Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  10:33:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got stung by a honeybee in the armpit right as I was going to bed. It must have crawled into my short-sleeve pajama shirt. Agh, it aches. Everytime I moved through the night I could feel it. I'm not allergic to them. Thank god.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  13:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ow! Hope it goes down soon Jo. Nasty to place to get stung. I hate it when insects crawl into places they shouldn't be. An earwig once got into my Mum's gardening gloves. That was particularly unpleasant.

Newguise xxx
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  07:00:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank heavens! I'm not the only one where my other half drools more when reading computer mags than when "reading" Playboy. The other day he showed me a new monitor he wants for his desk top. It's only $7600. I told him he can have it when we win the lottery (which we hardly ever play).

We have an extreme heat advisory today. It's supposed to reach the high 80's to low 90's around Lake Michigan and it might reach over 100 around Lake Superior. This on top of 80%+ humidity. Should make for a soggy day. Thank god for AC.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  10:43:50  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It was over 100 degrees every day we were in Las Vegas, but it's a dry heat so it didn't bother me that much--it's the humidity that I can't stand. That, and every place was air conditioned, including the car. Otherwise, it would have been miserable.

We got back from Lumos yesterday morning (and I really appreciate our nice cool Seattle weather, and even the rain that we had yesterday--ahhhh ). That was so much fun, and rather surreal, to be around 1200 other Harry Potter fans, most in some sort of costume, for 3 days. And I loved going to all the presentations and hearing different theories. There, just as here, I found myself falling into random conversations while we washed our hands in the loo or waited outside one of the marquis for the next speaker.

We missed some of the fun crazy things like the wizard chess, which must have been a hoot to watch, from the description in the Las Vegas paper and the one photo they showed. And we missed the water quidditch.

We were going to go to the podcast, which would have been fun, but it would have meant missing one of the speakers we wanted to hear to get bracelets to get in, and we had to get up at 2:30 am to get to our flight on Sunday morning, so we decided to skip it.

We did however, see the Death Eaters crash the Harry and the Potters concert--that was just after we had been travelling all day, checked into the hotel, found the Marriott and finally got registered. It was so funny. But I must say that the people who dressed as Slytherins or Death Eaters were a bit spooky, really taking their role playing seriously.

And then there was the lady we met the first night, when we were trying to find where the conference was. She was dressed as Luna, complete with lion hat. She did the rather drifty thing really well. Then we saw her on Friday, and she was wearing Slytherin colors, and on Saturday she was dressed as a Gryffindor (didn't see her on Sunday, but I assume she was a Hufflepuff). She was a little scary though--she always seemed to be like Luna, ahem, if that give you a clue what she was like.

We had butterbeer at the Irish pub, which was quite tasty. But either the butterbeer or something else rather upset my system, and I'm still not feeling completely wonderful. Though eating very small meals, or none at all, has made me lose about 3 pounds. That's a good thing, if they just stay off.

I'm going to post some photos on photobucket later and try to put some here. And I plan to write some things on my LJ later as well.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Edited by - Eeyore on 07/31/2006 10:47:32
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  11:45:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you had a great time (other than the tummy trouble). I didn't know you were going-- must have missed something.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  11:57:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How fun, Eeyore! Did you do some gambling while in Las Vegas? That sounds great to be surrounded by that many Potter fanantics. You do realize now that we're in the strange catagory with Trekkies.

If my family read HP they'd say I was most like Luna, I hate to admit. I'm really not, but I do have a reputation in my immediate family for not being all there all the time. Outside the family people think I'm an intelligent, level-headed person. Funny how I give off two different impressions. I'd say that I'm more of the second type, but I do grudgingly admit I have some strong Luna tendencies. I always imagined myself more along the lines of a combination between Neville and Hermione, as if that's any better.

Edited by - Jokelly on 07/31/2006 11:58:25
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  17:49:34  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Eeyore, that sounds fabulously HPcentric. :) There are people who would kill for that experience. Well, maybe not kill. Perhaps just hex Malfoy a lot.
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  20:18:40  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrBen

Eeyore, that sounds fabulously HPcentric. :) There are people who would kill for that experience. Well, maybe not kill. Perhaps just hex Malfoy a lot.

I agree, Mr. Ben. And it is funny to realize that HP fans are the new Trekkies. My 13 yo son would have had a great time dressing up with everyone else. We just got back from St. Louis and he walked through the Zoo with a clone trooper helmet on. He would have loved Luna's hat!

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  23:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooo! That sounds like fun! Except I have a feeling I'd feel a little claustrophobic around that many HP fanatics - I'm a huge fan and I'd love to be with other fans but... truly devoted fanatics and role-players can be weird. Hmm - maybe I just have a double-standard - one for people I like and one for everyone else.

But I'm glad you had fun - I'd LOVE to see a Wizard Chess Game!

Nuggy, our earwigs are pretty harmless - do yours bite?

Jo, I'm awesomely competant at work - I'm in the top of my field and quite intimidatingly knowledgeable... but my (birth) family still thinks I'm a forgetful airhead who needs to be told to come in out of the rain. I am forgetful but that alone does not make one brainless! It just looks that way sometimes...

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  13:09:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm baaaack. You may not recognise me in my befreckled splendour, but it really is me, honest!

I'm gasping for a cup of Madam Puddifoot's finest tea. I've had no tea for two weeks! Well, I've had two cups since I came home this morning, but I'm still craving more.

quote:
Originally posted by AMC

Jo, I'm awesomely competant at work - I'm in the top of my field and quite intimidatingly knowledgeable... but my (birth) family still thinks I'm a forgetful airhead who needs to be told to come in out of the rain. I am forgetful but that alone does not make one brainless! It just looks that way sometimes...

Hehe, I know the feeling.

I'm so sleepy. I hate flying. It exhausts me.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  13:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How was Bulgaria? Did you have any intense summer romances with taciturn, gimlet-eyed, Byronic types?

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  13:45:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha, sadly, no. Bulgaria was nice, though I feel like I could've been anywhere. I didn't get to see much of the country - we barely left the resort. My friends aren't really into sightseeing. I spent most of my time with my nose buried in a book while they worked on their tans. I don't tan. At all. But at least I got to sit in the sunshine. It was nice. We had fun. But it wasn't a terribly interesting experience. I'll have to visit again and do it properly. I still haven't given up my dream of going interrailing across Eastern Europe, even though that strikes me as a very studenty thing to do (I know I'm a student again, but I don't get summer holidays anymore - it's all work from here on out).

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  14:14:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in doing that too, someday, money permitting. How does one go about prepping for a trip like that?

For me the words "travel" and "resort" are antithetical. You cannot do both.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 08/01/2006 14:15:38
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  14:26:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl

For me the words "travel" and "resort" are antithetical. You cannot do both.

I agree. I find that when I stay in resorts I become somewhat institutionalised, and lose the will to leave.

I can't wait to TRAVEL again.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  15:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One wonders why people bother to travel to resorts. Is it just to say they've been there regardless of having seen nothing of the place and culture? I've been through parts of Europe with those kind of people and I think I got more out of the trip than they did. After all, all they got were photos and trinkets-- oh and a stamp in their passports.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  17:51:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm back too. We had a lovely cool time down the coast which was fortunate since the temperature hit record highs at home while we were gone.

Eeyore, I would have loved to have been at Lumos. It sounds fabulous. I used to go to Star Trek conventions and D&D conventions when I was younger, so I defintely get into that sort of thing.

Does anyone know why the boards have been so dead in the last few days? It seems the only thread being updated on the book boards (other than this one) is SINUS. I know that throwing darts at Snape targets is engrossing, but surely there's something we could all talk about.

*Goes off to think up a new thread topic.*

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  18:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been pretty dead here. Maybe the heat, at least for the Americans, has fried everyone's brains and we can no longer think.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  18:26:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been getting last minute things done for the school year. We're getting an early start this time-- well earlier than our district, at any rate. A couple of the neighboring districts are starting on the 7th. I just want a more leisurly pace for the school year. If we feel like taking days off, we can, or if we have a storm or weather delay it won't mess us up too much.

Other than that, I've been here on weekdays. I'm trying to take the weekends off-- except for when its too hot to do anything but melt.

I've done a little evening gardening. My sweet potato vines are flourishing. They've decided to root themselves in our pond so I've cut them back and planted the rooty bits. A few free desireable plants are always welcome.

Tai Chi is progressing nicely. We finished learning the moves of the 32 (sword form) this week. Now we work on polishing it and getting really comfortable with the whole form. Next up is the 42 (I believe that is what Treefrog practices most). I really like the sword form. We'll see how long it is before we start the next one. Tai Chi seems to be rising in popularity. I've noticed lots more merchandise and music in the stores lately aimed at the Tai Chi audience. It gets thrown in with the Yoga and Pilates stuff, but it is there.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  20:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the schools in my area don't start until the last week of August or first week of September. My neice is ready to go back now. She's bored but at least she has cheerleading practice most week nights to keep her busy. Her brother has football practice at the same time and place so it's nice that they cooridinate the practices together and her parents only have to make one trip to practice.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  20:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

Maybe the heat, at least for the Americans, has fried everyone's brains and we can no longer think.

Der ... umm ... de ... What she said. I think I need a nap.
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  09:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My college roommate is getting married on Friday, so tomorrow I'm driving to the other side of the country for the wedding. I've never driven such a long distance before and the east coast is unknown territory for me, so it should be an interesting trip. At least my friend is coming with me. I'm putting her in charge of map-reading.

I got my dress last month and bought a handbag in Bulgaria, but only got my shoes and accessories today. I was worried I wouldn't find anything suitable, but I got everything I needed in under an hour. That was some serious power shopping. I feel very proud of myself. I'm currently breaking my new sandals. They have ridiculously high heels, just the way I like 'em.

I'm getting my hair cut tomorrow. It's gotten really long and unmanageable lately. Really looking forward to getting the chop.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 08/02/2006 09:24:29
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  11:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long is the trip, Bee? I've noticed that a long road trip means something different for everyone. A long road trip for me is about 15 hours. That's how long it takes to get from PA to Florida. Short road trip is 3 hours to Lake Erie which can be made as a day trip. But then my sister and I are the only people I know who love road trips. I think because we grew up with them. My sister's husband hates driving anywhere new and it drives her nuts. He's not adventurous. She said next summer she's loading her kids in the car, driving to the ocean and leaving her husband at home.

Speaking of hair, I made an appointment for Friday. Would have gone today but it's just too hot. I'm getting bangs/fringe cut back in. I miss them. As I said on AFFTS, I'm just a bangs person. I don't like not having them. My hair is just too fine and ends up limp without them. Plus, bangs are so much more versatile.

My dad's girlfriend's granddaughter, who just turned 3, has the most beautiful long blond curly hair and she got a hold of the scissors and cut her bangs. Her mother is so upset because she doesn't permit her child's hair to be cut and no bangs. She doesn't like short hair and bangs so her daughter won't have them. Her little girl knew what she was doing because the day before she crawled up on her Gram's lap and told her she wanted bangs like Grammy's. I think she looks adorable with them. So does everyone but her mother who continues to be upset because of them. Watch her daughter get a little older and want really short hair. My mom was forced to wear long hair down below her butt and in braids when she was little. She got them cut off in Junior High and never had long hair again. To me it's just hair, it grows back.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  12:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And sissors are oh so easy to find once you're in school!

Bee, I had to laugh - all the way to the other side of the country??? It's a nice day's drive, isn't it? Where are you headed? I thought you lived in the east for some strange reason.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  13:35:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

Bee, I had to laugh - all the way to the other side of the country??? It's a nice day's drive, isn't it? Where are you headed? I thought you lived in the east for some strange reason.

Yep, all that distance. It should only take me about four hours, as long as I don't get lost. It's only a big deal because I'm quite new to this driving business and still can't do it very well. It also involves using the motorway which is illegal, but hey, driving on my own was illegal until last week, so it's not something that bothers me (unless I get caught). It's more the prospect of getting lost, or not being able to open the petrol thingy or indeed, even if I do figure out how to open the petrol thingy, not knowing how to put the petrol in (I've never done it before). Cars are hard.

The wedding is in Wicklow. I've never been there, but apparently it's very pretty. Couldn't possibly be as nice as the west coast though. *is very biased*

I haven't had a fringe (that's what bangs are, right?) since I was a little girl. It looked cute, but I doubt it would have the same effect anymore. I don't think it would suit me.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  15:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having a "fringe" sounds so frivolous! It's a much nicer term than bangs. Like having a "Frock" instead of a boring old dress.

Me grandfather came from County Wicklow, Bee, so don't you be saying a word against it! I've been there, it is pretty (but the West is much nicer, I agree). The cross-country motorway is the easiest road in Ireland to drive! Gad, if you can navigate those hiking trails you call country roads, you can handle a nice, broad smooth straight piece of asphalt. On the business of getting gas / petrol - perhaps some nice person could show you how before you go? I'm in stitches at the thought that you don't know how to fill up a car - I think my six year old probably knows how, it isn't difficult - but we've been on a lot of long trips.

Stay out of Dublin whatever you do - that place is a NIGHTMARE to drive. You should be fine otherwise. (I kept typing foin, I guess my keyboard has an accent)

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  15:58:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I'm not afraid of driving on the motorway. I'll just have to take my L-plates down so I don't get arrested. Whee!

quote:

I'm in stitches at the thought that you don't know how to fill up a car - I think my six year old probably knows how, it isn't difficult - but we've been on a lot of long trips.

See, the thing is that I'm not very good at doing stuff. So people tend to do stuff for me. I secretly think I might not actually be that bad at doing stuff, but that I have an air of helplessness about me that makes people jump in and take over so that I never get the chance to find out whether I can actually do stuff or not. Hence I've only have had to change a lightbulb once (and admittedly, I couldn't do it - had to call a friend over to help - maybe I am just bad at doing stuff after all). I've also never used a lawnmower, and I've only lit a fire once or twice. And I've never put petrol in a car. Someone always does it for me. It has been decreed that I wouldn't be able to, so who am I to say otherwise? If people want to do stuff for me, I tend to just let them, because why not? Suits me just fine.

And for the record, I don't say "foin". The west has nicer accents as well.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  16:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm baaaaccckk too!

Sorry to hear about that beesting, Jo. Is it feeling better now? Next thing that girl will want purple streaks in her hair.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  17:04:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So AMC's keyboard (or her fingers) have an eastern accent?

The longest road trip I've ever taken was a 10 hour drive to Virginia-- all by my lonesome. I was nervous for the first couple of hours, then got used to it. Nervousness set in again when I got to Virginia and had to find my way around to my destination.

Must dash-- taking Daughter to karate.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  17:24:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
10 hours is a long drive, more than that in one day is kind of masochistic. I like driving alone, I think it's easier but I also have a pretty good sense of direction. I used to drive from L.A. to San Francisco overnight to visit my parents - that was nice, I'd just crank the radio and fly. It was a 6 hour drive, but I'd get sleepy at 3am so sometimes I'd pull off the road and nap or go have breakfast at an all-night place.

My fingers are on the Disabled List - I'm having a lot of trouble typing, can't say why. I think they know vacation is coming...?

Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  18:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The longest drive I've ever done in a car is from my town to New Orleans, LA. That was close to 24 hours of straight driving. My boyfriend at the time was originally from there and his dad was having emergency surgery. I once did 22 hours on Greyhound from Las Vegas to home....that was NOT fun. There are some seriously freaky people that ride Greyhound.

*whines* I have two months until my vacation! And that's if I can even get it now. We have one person off on medical and we may have another going soon too. My boss is in total denial about it....we need more help and it doesn't look like we'll be getting any.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.