Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 98

admin
Mad-Eye Moody

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2006 :  22:17:05  Show Profile  Visit admin's Homepage Send admin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Relax with a cuppa and some chocolate.

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  18:47:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or any other kind of nice cake or biscuit.

I think I shall have my favourite blackcurrant tea with a buttered scone.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  05:29:48  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Or how about an English muffin with cream cheese and chocolate chips--definitely not on my diet, but very tasty. It went well with my tea, while I watched "Billy Elliot".

Things look quite nice here--just have to find my little comfy rocking chair by the window.

Eeyore
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  22:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, we have all the best chairs to ourselves. Now if only I could get the bunnies out of them! Perhaps I could try offering them Chamomile tea-- or Carrot Cake.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  03:15:33  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm watching "Galaxy Quest" on TV. What a hoot--it's the rock scene--too bad they didn't put in the deleted scene where Rickman talks about acting and motivation.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  09:13:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Husband was watching it last night as I went to bed.
I thought that scene was in the final cut! It was hillarious.
"It's a rock, it doesn't have motivation!"

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  02:41:11  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No, sadly, it's not, nor is the one where Dr. Lazarus sees his living quarters. Too bad, as those were some of the funniest scenes in the movie. I watched the whole movie, which made for a late night, and I have no idea why. I own the dumb thing and could watch it anytime, but that would make too much sense.

Ooo, lots of fun smilies. Cool. hehehehehe

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  09:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must have seen the full version from the DVD, then-- missed it in the cinema. How was Snow Cake? We went to see Cars yesterday. I wasn't sure whether I would like it much. The theme just didn't interest me much. End product, though, taught me never to doubt Pixar. An excellent family movie with a "G" rating. The desert scenery is really cool. All the mesas look like cars. I'll bet it sparks a resurgence of interest in old Route 66-- what's left of it.

Time for tea. English Breakfast today, I think.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Newguise
Barmy

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  14:55:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I shall have an Earl Grey tea and admire all the new cushions. Would I be right in presuming that firewhisky must only be used for medicinal purposes in this area, and administered by a qualified healer? ;)

Newguise xxx
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  15:34:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Chief Healer, I think I can administer firewhiskey toddies to those who would seem to require it. Have you had an especially trying day? Moving anxieties? Cardboard allergies?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  19:18:15  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hum. I'm sure I wrote a reply to this thread yesterday. I wonder where it went?

Anyway. Nice to be back in the Teasho, for its 18th reincarnation!

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  11:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, you know what they say. You can't keep the undead down.[xx(]

As we seem to be talking gardening at DA, thought I'd pick up the thread here:

We have several types of jasmine available to us. Yellow Jasmine is the state flower and grows wild. It is green nearly year-round and blooms in November/December and again in February/March. Confederate Jasmine has a white star shaped bloom that untwists to open. Perasonally, I like the smell of the yellow better, but the leaf colour on the Confederate is deeper and turns red in fall. It can vine upward or trail along the ground to be a ground cover when sheared off at the top.

Unfortunately, most of the plants I adore just can't handle the heat here. During the summer the air is so hot that everything wilts, including me. Hybrid tea roses are too temperamental for the climate, so I go with old fashioned, very hardy varieties-- David Austin roses seem to do OK. Fuschias, Canterbury Bells, Bleeding Heart, Lupines, Acconite, Delphinium, most Foxgloves, Impatiens (the doubles that look like little rose blooms, esp.) don't survive long here. Hydrangeas are strictly Northern exposure, shade plants. Rhodedenrons, which I grew up with, don't grow here, though you can't throw a rock without hitting an azalea.

I'm trying to get a couple of Monkey Puzzle trees to work-- just because I'm stubborn and love odd plants. I could easily grow orchids, but tend to find poisonous plants more intriguing. Just bought an Angel's Trumpet tree. Absolutely beautiful, but very poisonous. On the other hand, I also have a Scuppernong Grape vine in my yard which I'm hoping I can get to bear fruit.

You haven't seen green till you've been to Western Washington, AMC. The East Coast that I've seen is a different kind of green-- and there are so many. WW has lots of fir trees that get those lovely soft bright green tips of new growth. There are so many that the air is resinous; I can smell the difference the minute I get off the plane at Sea Tac. Here we have lots of oaks (the pollen of which is the bane of my existence) and palms (which I detest). The air here often smells of marsh and salt tide-- not my idea of a pleasant smell, rather like a stagnant pond. North Carolina, the Asheville area at least, is much more palatable to me. They have lots of pine trees and a more extreme climate than here-- heck, they have seasons. We have bearable and hot.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  13:13:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh, home sweet home! :grabs a hazelnut coffee.:
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  15:02:08  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
How frustrating--I just got kicked off line--no, not by the forum. Comcast was down for a little while. I'm never sure whether it's Comcast suddenly deciding to work on the system (why don't they do that at 3 am) or whether the router is acting funny. Anyway...

Snow Cake was great. Laura and I made an afternoon, evening of it. We went up early, had tea, walked over to Bell Square, via the sky bridges--nice as it was raining. Then we had dinner at an Italian place in Lincoln Square and went up to the third floor for the movie. (It's a new shopping center in Bellevue, and this was the first year for some of the Seattle Int'l Film Festival movies to be screened outside Seattle proper. It was great for us--even with I-405, it is just simpler getting into Bellevue, and the parking was in the building and free, unlike anywhere in Seattle. The theater wasn't full, but nearly. And then it was screened again the next week.

At any rate, we both really liked the movie--funny, sweet, sad, thoughtful--it has it all, because the characters were such real people. And can I just tell you how nice it was to see Alan Rickman looking like himself and being such a normal person. I love all his characters that he plays, because he does them so well, but just Alan is fabulous too. I read somewhere--in the SIFF catalogue maybe?--that Angela Pell, the screen writer (first time for her) wrote the part of Alex with Alan Rickman in mind. He got the script somehow, read it, and he called Sigourney Weaver to suggest that she look at the part of Linda. Good call, all round. Carrie-Anne Moss was quite good as the neighbor who becomes the love interest for Alex.

I wrote more comments on the movie on the IMDb forum for Snow Cake, and when I get a chance I'll copy it and post it here--well, maybe we should just have a topic for non-HP movies?

Haven't seen Cars yet--thought I'd wait for the dvd. But the girls and I did go see Over the Hedge and really liked that one. I think we enjoyed it because, while it has the humor for kids, it also has some adult humor, plus it has a message about how we all live and eat, without seeming to beat the viewers over the head with it.

Back to flowers--it seems that almost everything in my yard is blooming. I love this time of year. And the sun is shining today--which it hasn't been. I've been wearing winter sweaters for the last week, it's felt so cold.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  15:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like you guys have the teashop all warmed up for us. Chocolate sounds wonderful, and I'll be back a little later for some firewhisky after I've checked out the rest of our new home.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  15:23:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the third line in your sig, Pesky.
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  16:50:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh, new cushions! Me likey.

I went to my first step aerobics class this evening. It was actually quite fun! Suits an uncoordinated, unathletic type such as myself. And the music was terrifically cheesy too, which in my view counts as a plus.

I think I pulled something in my tummy though. Could probably use some of that medicinal firewhiskey...

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  17:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. I suppose toddies work for muscle injuries.

You really have to love what you're doing as exercise. Otherwise it becomes too easy to say "Oh, I don't feel like it." Before you know it, it's been a month since you worked out and you still don't feel like it.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  17:06:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it's been many years since I worked out. After my very first visit to a gym when I was a wee teenage slip of a thing, I was struck down with mono that very evening and was bedridden for months. Put me off exercise for life... or rather, for four years. But now I'm back! And doing funny actions to the dulcet tones of Steps and their ilk. Hurrah!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  17:11:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've taken up Tai Chi and just love it, love it, love it. Very relaxing but very challenging. We are about half-way through the 32 Sword form. It's amazing how much sweating one can do while relaxing.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  17:32:27  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I need to find an exercise I love. Been looking for my whole life.

Do you reckon I could just read for exercise?

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  17:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you mean read or do you mean "read"?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  17:41:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hee Hee.
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  17:45:11  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

Do you mean read or do you mean "read"?

Either/or.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  17:48:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MY! I've been checking, we are a particularly chatty lot today. I just love this guy!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  18:57:22  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that comes from our being deprived of having a secure place to chat. Isn't it lovely? Thanks, again, Sibohan and hubby. He really must get some sort of screen name.

Who is WistyWoo, anyway? Anyone we know?

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  19:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me-not-loggedin-as-administrator.
When I look at the board, I see all kinds of extra icons for things that don't show up for regular members. I wanted to see the forum without those things. Now before anyone feels slighted by not having all the icons, I would point out that I do not get a member ranking based on the number of posts I make. Everyone else does-- well except Mediwizards.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  22:27:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exercise. I've been working out every morning and night. I'm shocked at myself for being so faithful at it going into my third week. I'm doing resistance stuff to build up muscle. I've lost only a pound or two, but I have tightened up. I realized I really needed to get serious about it when I had to move up a size in pants. It seems after you turn 21 the weight comes on so easily. And while some has settled in places other women would love to be plumper in, I don't need extra weight there.

I've also given up caffeine. Not completely because I still order Pepsi in restaurants but I haven't bought any in a week. I'm trying to cut off pop completely, but I did have some Ginger Ale today (it's caffeine free).

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  03:20:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't it sacrilege to talk about giving up Caffeine in the Tea Shop? I'll just worship a pot of Assam - ooh and some of those cream tarts. Thanks muchly.

So - do we have any village people left?

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Treefrog
Addled

Australia
88 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  03:46:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

I've taken up Tai Chi and just love it, love it, love it. Very relaxing but very challenging. We are about half-way through the 32 Sword form. It's amazing how much sweating one can do while relaxing.

Yay! More Tai Chi love.
I haven't been for 2 weeks and I'm noticing a huge difference in my leg muscles - they are not stretched enough! I had a massive leg cramp last night and I'm sure it's because I'm behind on my tai chi.
I can get 1/2 way through the 2nd third (if that makes sense) on my own, but can do the whole lot if I'm at the hall with everyone else. (I just forget what comes next!)

*sits on nice cushions*
*has a cuppa*

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  11:15:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

Isn't it sacrilege to talk about giving up Caffeine in the Tea Shop? I'll just worship a pot of Assam - ooh and some of those cream tarts. Thanks muchly.

So - do we have any village people left?

No sacrilege-- herbal tea infusions are acceptable and can induce healing.

"It's fun to stay at the YMCA!"
Not that kind of village people, I hope?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 98  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.