Deathly Hallows reviews - Spoilers to be expected
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  10:48:12  Show Profile Send Siobhan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't forgotten how to type, just how to moderate. The current movie board was accidentally deleted when I was attempting to edit the title-- very frustrating especially since it is not recoverable. After a couple of attempts to rewrite my review and discovering that my typing skills or perhaps the laptop touchpad were not cooperating, I decided to give it a rest. Then Thanksgiving was here, and I've not felt well enough to sit down at the computer and try to remember my key points. Since everyone who is anyone stops by here, I'll post my review on this topic and perhaps copy it into the movie area, too.

Here goes, DH review points, take three:

*****SPOILERS

Better than the book, by far.
Campout pacing was much better. Had much less of a neverending feeling about it since the action kept moving on.
No coincidental meeting with Dean. Still met up with the Snatchers, but didn't have all the newsy catch up bit that felt so contrived.
Less use of polyjuice potion. By omitting just the one use (at the wedding), polyjuice seemed a slightly more valuable. Harry refusing to use it at Godric's Hollow adds to that and gives them a little more to use at Gringott's in the next movie. Hmmm... wonder if polyjuice has a shelf life.....
Ron's behaviour during the campout was better explained by establishing early on that the Horcrux was responsible for it. He was much less irritating in the movie, partially because his fit about Ginny was removed.
Much improved Hedwig's role by making her a sacrificial protector (foreshadowing Dobby's death AND symbolising Harry's passage into adulthood) than just the baggage in the sidecar. It made so much more sense from the start to let her fly free and then that she would do what she could to keep Harry safe. The senseless deaths in the book were the ones I objected to most.

Points of Bother:
Didn't like all the exposition about Bill after suddenly introducing him. They should have done a better job with that earlier on in the movies.
Likewise, the mirror shard was totally unexplained by the film, which makes Harry's use of it just plain odd. Anyone who has not read the books would be confunded (as was one of the talking idiots behind us in the cinema).
Dobby picking up wands all over the place was almost too bold a move for the character, I felt-- and having made his voice higher and squeakier, didn't help matters any

Other things I liked:
The very beginning of the film showing Hermione obliviating her parents put us (Daughter and me) in tears.
The Seven Harrys was done so well-- almost as well as all the Jack Sparrows in Davy Jones' locker.
Hermione saying she was always mad at Ron.
Kreacher and Dobby vying to tell Harry about catching Mundungus-- just because I liked Kreacher's outcome from the book, not because the movie explained that bit of the story in any way.

I think that's the gist of what I wrote previously. Now to post and copy successfully.......

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2010 :  10:45:56  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan
Better than the book, by far.
Campout pacing was much better. Had much less of a neverending feeling about it since the action kept moving on.
No coincidental meeting with Dean. Still met up with the Snatchers, but didn't have all the newsy catch up bit that felt so contrived.
Less use of polyjuice potion. By omitting just the one use (at the wedding), polyjuice seemed a slightly more valuable. Harry refusing to use it at Godric's Hollow adds to that and gives them a little more to use at Gringott's in the next movie. Hmmm... wonder if polyjuice has a shelf life.....

I agree with all your positive points. As you say, the campout wasn't neverending and actually added a lot of drama to show just how tough all of this was for two teenagers. The fact that Dan's acting has improved so much certainly helped. And I agree that Ron was a much more sympathetic character in the movie. If all we had was the movie, there would be less Ron!bashing fanfiction.

And I never thought about the overuse of polyjuice in the book. There were so many things like that, but the movie gave us just enough that it's use next movie will be understandable, but not trite.

quote:
Much improved Hedwig's role by making her a sacrificial protector (foreshadowing Dobby's death AND symbolising Harry's passage into adulthood) than just the baggage in the sidecar. It made so much more sense from the start to let her fly free and then that she would do what she could to keep Harry safe. The senseless deaths in the book were the ones I objected to most

All I can say is "Amen" to this! I now have hopes that the producers will lessen the meaninglessness of some other deaths as well. My children were thrilled at this change, too.

quote:
Dobby picking up wands all over the place was almost too bold a move for the character, I felt-- and having made his voice higher and squeakier, didn't help matters any

I also agree with all of your points of bother. Bill not only came out of nowhere in this movie, but the actor cast wasn't handsome enough.

But I think the problem with Dobby picking up all the wands goes back to the fact that the whole wand issue was totally confusing and poorly thought out in the book. Obviously, the director couldn't figure out how to handle the whole wand thing. If you remember, Harry is just given ONE snatcher's wand by Ron, not several to try out. And they never discuss the whole "wand choosing the wizard thing". How are they going to deal with the fact that Harry is the true owner of the Elder Wand if they haven't set that up? I also thought that in the book Harry took Draco's wand with a spell not a physical scuffle. (I only read DH once so I could just be remembering this wrong.) I was hoping the movie could make the wand thing more clear, but I guess like the mirror fragment they are just hoping to get by with people not questioning it.

quote:
Other things I liked:
The very beginning of the film showing Hermione obliviating her parents put us (Daughter and me) in tears.
The Seven Harrys was done so well-- almost as well as all the Jack Sparrows in Davy Jones' locker.
Hermione saying she was always mad at Ron.
Kreacher and Dobby vying to tell Harry about catching Mundungus-- just because I liked Kreacher's outcome from the book, not because the movie explained that bit of the story in any way.

Yes, yes and yes. I also loved the scene in Malfoy manor with Alan Rickman's acting and Tom Felton's acting. I think they both did a marvelous job in all their scenes. I didn't like the fact that they had Lucius so obviously falling apart, though the importance of a wizard's wand was beautifully portrayed in the part where Voldie takes Lucius' wand.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.