Pirates-- AAARRRR!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  16:20:10  Show Profile Send Siobhan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, so I'm probably the one of the last people to come to this party, but we watched all three of the current Pirates of the Carribean movies while at the beach. They were thoroughly enjoyable. Daughter now has a confirmed case of Deppmania. She first showed signs of it with Alice in Wonderland.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2010 :  00:04:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love Johnny Depp. He is not only a heartthrob, but one of the finest actors of his generation. He was hilarious in the original Pirates, but I have to admit that while I adored the Black Pearl (#1), I thought Dead Man's Chest (#2) was just okay and I absolutely hated World's End (#3).

Let me stipulate here that the special effects were fabulous, terrific, etc., etc., but anyone can do special effects. It's the story that matters and while DMC and WE were decent enough stories in themselves, they were too dark. WE in particular was entirely too dark for the swashbuckling, romantic genre set up in Pearl.

Pearl had the feel of Princess Bride. Lots of swordplay and just enough scary bits to justify all the action. But mostly it was a steady stream of lighthearted (and sometimes laugh-out-loud) adventure; and in the end the young lovers are betrothed, the romantic rivals shake hands and the lovable rogue sails away on his beloved ship with the promise of more laughs and adventure to come.

Consequently, my reaction to the opening scene of DMC was, as my teenagers would say, WTF!?! How did everyone's lives suddenly get destroyed? DMC was saved by the rolicking chase and fight scene on the island and by Barbosa's resurrection (such a great character). But it was a near thing. There was far too much pathos surrounding Will's father, Davy Jones/Calipso and Elizabeth/Jack.

Finally, WE succeeded in turning a series that started out as an exuberent adventure into an unmitigated disaster. Elizabeth's father and Norrington are both killed for no desperately important reason, and Will and Elizabeth end up living a tragedy rather than happily ever after. I'm sorry, but seeing your spouse one day every 10 years can in no way be considered okay.

There's a rumor that a fourth Pirates movie is in the works. If so, then hopefully the writers/producers who seem to have been suffering from debilitating depression during the last film will wake up and write a story worthy of Pearl. Of course, they could hardly write one less worthy than WE so they have nowhere to go but up.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 05/25/2010 00:08:12
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.