Something interesting has happened.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  02:26:29  Show Profile Send diricawl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I've been updating my Wikipedia article on Harry Potter vs. the Christian loony fringe, I've discovered an interesting phenomenon. Remember how, years and years ago, I complained that Harry was getting all the flak from the fundies while Philip Pullman was being weirdly ignored? Well, whaddaya know. As my article notes, HP hasn't appeared in the American Library Association's list of banned books since 2003, but now, His Dark Materials is finally on it. First appearing in 2007, it shot up to no. 2 last year. Oddly enough, 2007 is also the year the Golden Compass movie came out. Strange. You'd think they would have noticed the book before then. But then, christiananswers.net has an in-depth movie review section, but no book review section. Kinda says a lot about this community.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  14:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's surprising that the movie should have caught their attention. We saw it on DVD and thought it rated a "meh." It was certainly not as anti-religion as the book (and much less so than the subsequent books).
I read the series. Parts were very creative-- I loved the daemons and the polar bear. By the second and third books, though, the anti-religion aspect was a turn off. I'm not particularly religious, but am tolerant of those who are-- as long as they are not trying to force their beliefs down my throat. Pullman's attitude became, IMO, offensive. I felt it had no place in the books; they would have been complete and full without it.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  15:47:15  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That is funny. I wondered how Pullman was staying below their radar, but I think they were so focused on HP they forgot to look at other things, until the movie came out. I haven't read any of his books, but I did watch the movie. It was OK, but I also have read how much they toned down his anti-religious rhetoric. I remember looking at his website quite a few years back and decided I disagreed with him enough that I wouldn't enjoy the books. It'll be interesting to see if they make the other movies and what they do with them.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Edited by - Eeyore on 06/23/2009 09:14:39
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  12:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I somehow doubt they will continue with the series. It was not the box office hit the studio had hoped for and needed it to be. They had some big name actors to pay. Continuing would mean recasting all of the children's roles.

Yes, they did tone down the movie and they would have a bigger job of it for any of the subsequent stories. In fact I'm not sure they could do a sufficient job of it to placate viewers with any sort of religious beliefs.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Burtnnator07
Addled

72 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  18:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all. Good to see this place is still around .

I read a blog called Stuff Christians Like, modeled after Stuff White People Like. It's usually satire about the quirky aspects of American Christian culture and today's post is titled, "#813 Hating Harry Potter, giving Gandalf a free pass"
http://stuffchristianslike.net/2010/07/hating-harry-potter-giving-gandalf-a-free-pass/.

Keep in mind, it's written with tongue firmly planted in-cheek. Also, I think the comments section will give any who's interested a good gauge of the general Christian sentiment on HP (or at least views of the younger Christian generations).

I'm Ginger from way back in the days of the Banana Boards =D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.