Luck of The Irish!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2009 :  18:09:25  Show Profile Send Siobhan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy St. Patrick's Day, all!
Husband and I are trying to think of someplace to go for dinner tonight that won't be packed to the ceiling with drinking revellers. Perhaps Chinese or Greek-- as long as they don't have a bar. I do not understand what it is about green food colouring that supposedly makes American beer more appealing.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2009 :  11:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

Happy St. Patrick's Day, all!
Husband and I are trying to think of someplace to go for dinner tonight that won't be packed to the ceiling with drinking revellers. Perhaps Chinese or Greek-- as long as they don't have a bar. I do not understand what it is about green food colouring that supposedly makes American beer more appealing.

Lol! Good question. I never drink our mass produced American beer. Luckily, the advent of micro-brewers in the last couple of dacades has saved American beer from complete ignominy. Many of these are wonderful - and they're never green.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2009 :  16:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing I miss about America is St Patrick's Day. It's not that big here.

*Ponders whether he should say "Tap o' tha mornin' t'ya!" just to wind up Bee*

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2009 :  18:34:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go ahead diri, it means nothing to me.

I spent Paddy's Day with friends and had a great time. I wore black, avoided the parade, ate pizza, and didn't drink. So probably not very traditional, but still enjoyable!

I'd love to go to America for St. Patrick's Day. It sounds mental.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2009 :  20:02:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Savannah has one of the largest St Pat's celebrations in the country. Luckilly, Savannah is located on a bluff that overlooks the river. This one area where a lot of bars are located. 'Tis a convenient situation, as the people who go to party on River Street and overdo it are usually unable to make it back up the hill to the rest of the historic district. They may even fall into the river. Unfortunately, there are also plenty of drinking establishments above the riverfront. Savannah does know how to party, and they do it with a vengeance. I cannot even begin to imagine what St Pat's must be like-- and I've been there during Oktoberfest. Savannah is also known as America's most haunted city. Methinks there may be a connection between the hauntings and the partying....

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  14:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
St. Patrick's Day is huge at my school... which doesn't really make sense because we place a lot of emphasis on our Scottish heritage (we all have tams, our sports team are called the Gaels, we have a highland dancing team and our mascot wears a kilt). I guess it's just an excuse to drink at 11 in the morning. It's one of the biggest party days of the year, but I couldn't enjoy the festivities this time. I had a term paper due yesterday so I spent all of the 17th in the library. Walking home from that night wasn't fun - I live on one of the main streets in the student housing area so I had to walk through half a kilometer of parties.

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  05:31:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee

Oh yeah? I seem to recall you cringing in pain at my attempts at an Irsih accent.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  13:26:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl

quote:
Originally posted by Bee

Oh yeah? I seem to recall you cringing in pain at my attempts at an Irsih accent.

I meant the saying. Isn't it out of a cereal ad or something like that?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  15:51:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You mean this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCcPRroLgzE

Must say I've seen a lot of those, and I've never heard Lucky the Leprechaun say that.

In truth, and I know you don't want to hear this, I think it may actually be a traditional Irish phrase, if perhaps not often spoken these days.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 03/22/2009 15:51:51
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2009 :  12:12:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe, but if so then why is it in English? There's no direct translation for it either. I honestly think it's Irish-American. Like corned beef!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 03/23/2009 12:18:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.