Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Third Floor................Uncontrollable Giggling
 Inherently Random
 Wouldn't Alan Rickman make a great Scrooge?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  16:39:44  Show Profile Send Theowyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My 12 year old daughter and I were watching the Muppet's Christmas Carol last night when she turned to me and remarked, "Wouldn't Alan Rickman make a great Scrooge?"

Slap me for having never thought of this myself. If ever there was a man born to play Scrooge, Rickman is it. So how do we lobby the film studios to make this movie?

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  23:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He would make a delicious Scrooge. Patrick Stewart did, too.
I love the Muppets' Christmas Carol. The only change I wish for is that Jim Henson had still been alive to perform in it.

You know I just realized we've not watched any of the usual Christmas shows this year.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  11:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patrick Stewart was great. We have his Scrooge on video as well and I'll probably watch it this week. I actually saw Stewart do a one-man version of "A Christmas Carol" live on stage some years ago and it was absolutely amazing. He took questions from the audience afterwards, too and seemed like a genuinely classy person.

For all that, I still think Rickman would blow him away as Scrooge. I can't really define why, but it's the same reason I don't think Rickman could ever do Captain Ahab half as well as Stewart did.

Stewart possesses a natural command presense and projects steely determination with ease. He carries off Ahab's obsessiveness effortlessly. But he can't match Rickman when it comes to romance and Scrooge definitely has that element of lost love tormenting him. Rickman projects that soft side of the tortured soul so convincingly. And no one can sneer, "Bah, humbug!" the way Rickman can.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  14:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Rickman is the king of tortured souls-- at least as far as acting goes.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2008 :  09:59:14  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll go along with any excuse to get Rickman in another movie. His latest ones haven't been concepts I wanted to see--but I would also love to see him as Scrooge!

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2008 :  15:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What!? You didn't want to see him as the lecherous Judge Turpin!???? I haven't watched it yet either. I would like to hear him sing, though-- a lullaby perhaps?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  04:03:52  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I did finally see Sweeney Todd, and Rickman was great as the Judge, I guess. I liked his singing. I would actually like to hear him sing again, but more in his own range rather than in Johnny Depp's, which was sometimes too high for Rickman (though he pulled it off nicely). I have nothing to compare it to since I've not seen it before. However, that's the only time I'll watch it. I definitely didn't like it. Too creepy for me. And though Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp did a good job with their singing, I found it very hard to understand the words, and that meant I lost part of the story.

But I think the idea of Rickman as Scrooge is excellent. Why hasn't anyone thought of that before.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  20:10:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's often difficult to make out the words to songs and the Cockney accent which HBC was using is very hard on American ears. Put the two together and it's a miracle you understood any of the words at all, Eeyore. I've seen ST on stage a couple of times, so I was able to follow most of the lyrics, but only because I knew them.

ST is VERY creepy, but I have to say I love it in the same way that I love Little Shop of Horrors. Both stories are unapologitically horrific and yet, they aren't horror stories in the way that Friday the 13th is. They are intelligent, entertaining musicals that just happen to include numerous bloody murders.

ST: the movie was outstanding. All of the actors were perfect for their roles, especially Johnny Depp - if ever there was a role HE was born to play, ST is it.

But back to Rickman as Scrooge. How do we email his agent and beg him to make this movie?

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.