Philosopher to Hallows
 "Harry, A History" by Melissa Anelli
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

U-No-Poo
Addled

133 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  02:07:45  Show Profile Send U-No-Poo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, everyone! It's been a while. I just stumbled across this, I thought you'd find it interesting:
http://www.harryahistory.com/
It's a book coming out beginning of November. It's sort of a behind-the-scenes on Harry Potter and their publication and talks about its fandom. It includes exclusive interviews with JKR and others, and a forward by JKR of which there's an excerpt on its Amazon page. The website has a few interesting titbits from some of these interviews. Looks like I'm going to have to get this one. What do you think?

Order of the Bookmark

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  12:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not buying that book. She doesn't deserve one single sale.

Might buy Steve's, though. I don't support what he's been up to lately, but at least he's not treated many dedicated Potter fans like dirt.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  16:42:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was Melissa one of the editors of the Leaky Cauldron news page?
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  04:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starling

I'm not buying that book. She doesn't deserve one single sale.

Might buy Steve's, though. I don't support what he's been up to lately, but at least he's not treated many dedicated Potter fans like dirt.

I hadn't heard that. What's the story there?

quote:
Originally posted by JKRisSuperior

Was Melissa one of the editors of the Leaky Cauldron news page?

Yeah. She's pretty much the big cheese there.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 10/20/2008 04:02:40
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  16:24:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do tell, Starling. I know that Melissa can definitely be a witch, but I hadn't heard anything specific lately.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  21:11:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's all news to me, so please do tell.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  04:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my, that's a long story!

I suppose the "I was a Leaky Lounge Mod" blog is a good place to start. And that doesn't even include my own story, plus many other stories. She's broken the hearts of many fans, dammit, and I wish Jo hadn't endorsed her book.

Go to Top of Page

Izzers
Giddy

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  12:44:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers, old friends,

It's been years since I've dipped into the HP fandom, but I was given "Harry: A History" for Christmas...and reading that brings back all the old warm fuzzies from my fan-atic days. I was mostly a lurker here, so it's fun to see all your names again!

Really, I hadn't heard any of the complaints against Melissa, since I was out of both the country and the loop while the trials, etc, were going on. I'm really enjoying the book, though...

Has anyone read it? What do you think? Thoughts, impressions?

"Of course it's happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that is is not real?"
Go to Top of Page

U-No-Poo
Addled

133 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  23:13:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't bought it yet, but hopefully I will eventually when I have some money. What's it like, Izzers?

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - U-No-Poo on 12/30/2008 21:06:50
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  04:16:22  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I read it, and enjoyed the trip down memory lane. I was never involved with Melissa, but as it turns out, we were at a lot of the same fan sites at the same time. So when she talked about them, I was reminded of my own experiences and reactions to what was going on.

She gets into the whole fan fiction scandal where one of the well known writers was a drama queen. Apparently, she lifted large portions from well known literature without crediting the sources and she got caught and then things got nasty. I was never part of that, though I do remember it being discussed. It sounded too much like a soap opera so I steered clear of the whole thing.

Other than that, Melissa talked about how she happened to get into some of the interview positions, not only with JKR but with people at WB and Scholastic. And that was kind of interesting, because it did take a certain amount of initiative on her part, and persistence. So I do have to give her credit for that. A lot of those connections allowed TLC to print real news about HP rather than some of the wild rumors that other sites put up.

But I still get annoyed when I think of the interview that she was privileged to get, and in my opinion, didn't do well - or not as well as she could have done. Whenever she was around JKR she turned into a fangirl instead of a journalist. But anyway. . .

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Izzers
Giddy

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  12:46:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I just finished it, and it turned out to be a very interesting read. Like Eeyore said - a trip down memory lane. Names I hadn't read in years - or ever, on paper!

I couldn't help but admire Melissa, purely for the amount of work she put in. And her tenaciousness. She held on doggedly until she got what she wanted.

And I couldn't help but love reliving the infamous shipping wars after HBP. I remember watching that whole thing play out and cracking up in disbelief. I had even copy-and-pasted some of the comments that were truly hilarious, just for my own personal record (One person commented on a Leaky post: "I died and you're freaking out about who kissed who?? --signed, Dumbledore").

Really I liked "Harry: A History" because it's the book I always wanted someone to write: acknowledging in print-and-binding all the lives and dramas and ecstasies and agonies of HP fandom. Maybe someone else could have done a better job?

Maybe someone else will do a better job. I'll read that one too. :D

"Of course it's happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that is is not real?"
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  07:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
She held on doggedly until she got what she wanted.

Over the backs of (far too) many.

I've read Steve's book. I like it! It's a real conversation starter, since people won't agree with him on all points/locations.

He makes some interesting points. Example: the Dursley house is pebbledashed. Can you imagine them living in a pebbledashed house? Areas that are as "sameish" as Jo describes them don't tend to have pebbledashed houses, unless they're council estates.

He also includes a photo of a possible Leaky Cauldron, which is funny, since I've always looked at those doors as a possible Leaky Cauldron too, hehe.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  14:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starling, is that book of Steve VanderArk's the In Search of Harry Potter that came out in November? I see he also has new plans for a Lexicon with additional commentary.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  17:14:12  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, thanks for the reviews all. I will have to look for Melissa's book just for the memories also. HP is the first fandom I had anything to do with, and I was definitely on the sidelines, but I'm sometimes surprised when I run across new fans on various sites at just how long I actually have been around--since GoF. I know many of you here have been around since long before that, but the fandom keeps getting new people. Apparently, many people waited until the series was finished to read them. I'm glad I didn't do that as the whole "predicting what was coming next" thing was so much fun. And I'm still enjoying watching people look for new ways to resurrect Severus Snape and overthrow the Epilogue. How long did it take for EWE to make it into fannish usage?

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  13:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I'm out of the loop. EWE?????
Everyone
Wants
Everything?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  15:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering the same thing.

Even With Elves?
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  15:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm afraid to ask whether it has anything to do with sheep.

Epilogue
Wasted
Everything?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  16:13:43  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, wow! You mean I know something fannish that others don't?

EWE--Epilogue? What Epilogue?

Beloved of all shippers whose boat didn't sail in canon!

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  09:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we came up with pretty good alternatives, though.

Sunset, I checked through Google and didn't find EWE having anything to do with HP, so you have some priviledged information there!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  18:46:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, since the epilogue sounded as though it had been written by a 15 year old fangirl and told us virtually nothing of importance that we couldn't figure out, I can see where that acronym comes from. Except for Draco's receding hairline, of course. I admit I'd never thought of that bit of vital info.

I still don't think I'll rush out to read the new books - and not just because Melissa and Steve are such controversial people. SH mentioned over on Library Lunacy that she is still bothered by the end of HP and I confess I'm still in mourning, too and likely always will be. For me, HP will forever be the one that got away - the series that had the potential to be a true classic and was ruined by an inept finale. The analytical/remeniscence books don't interest me because they remind me too much of my hopes for a genuinely great series that never materialized.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 01/13/2009 18:48:21
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  05:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

Starling, is that book of Steve VanderArk's the In Search of Harry Potter that came out in November? I see he also has new plans for a Lexicon with additional commentary.

Yup, it's out, you can get it on Amazon.

Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  16:13:47  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theowyn

Well, since the epilogue sounded as though it had been written by a 15 year old fangirl and told us virtually nothing of importance that we couldn't figure out, I can see where that acronym comes from. Except for Draco's receding hairline, of course. I admit I'd never thought of that bit of vital info.

I still don't think I'll rush out to read the new books - and not just because Melissa and Steve are such controversial people. SH mentioned over on Library Lunacy that she is still bothered by the end of HP and I confess I'm still in mourning, too and likely always will be. For me, HP will forever be the one that got away - the series that had the potential to be a true classic and was ruined by an inept finale. The analytical/remeniscence books don't interest me because they remind me too much of my hopes for a genuinely great series that never materialized.

Ah,yes, poor Draco's receding hairline. Rowling really does hate her Slytherins and does all she can to dash our hopes for our favorite sex!god Slytherins.

And, Theo, I have found that reading really good fanfiction (and even just some plain ole irritated post-DH stories) has helped my grieving. You did such a great job with your canon-characterizations through OotP that I suppose the ending has killed all your plot bunnies...which is a real shame. I was recently trolling a "What 10 fanfiction stories would you save if you could only save 10" LJ comment thread on a journal of someone who is mainly a slash reader--and one of the comments mentioned HPEW and HPCS just for how accurately you continued canon. They said they would save your stories because they were what HBP and DH should have been.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  18:47:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh wow! What an amazing compliment. I am really grateful to have been able to write HPEW and HPCS. Not only for the amazing experience of writing, but because they have helped sooth my grief immensely. And if they have helped others who were disappointed in DH, I am doubly grateful.

As for plot bunnies, I have a few hopping around; DH didn't kill them. I can tell you how, in my universe, Albus Severus really got his name or introduce you to the love of Snape's life, but HPCS was so complete in itself that I haven't felt the need to add to it.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  17:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Harry Potter Lexicon has been published. I'm not sure about buying it. On the one hand I'm not really interested in buying it, and the whole court case has given me a bad taste in my mouth, but on the other hand some really good friends (especially Bel) worked on it ...

*strokes imaginary beard thoughtfully*

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  18:43:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, I lost track of the whole trial over the Lexicon. Whatever happened with that? Is this a new version of the Lexicon that Steve put together to address the issues in the trial?

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  18:46:51  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
As for plot bunnies, I have a few hopping around; DH didn't kill them. I can tell you how, in my universe, Albus Severus really got his name or introduce you to the love of Snape's life, but HPCS was so complete in itself that I haven't felt the need to add to it.

Oh, yeah. Live plot bunnies! Both stories sound wonderful, and I wasn't expecting you to add anything to your other universe much. You're right. Your ending was wonderfully satisfying.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  07:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know, I lost track of the whole trial over the Lexicon. Whatever happened with that? Is this a new version of the Lexicon that Steve put together to address the issues in the trial?

Yes, that's basically it. They had no objections to the new version.

His next book will be about Snape.

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  12:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starling

His next book will be about Snape.

Now that one, I'll have to buy.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  13:51:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wrote an article on the trial on Wikipedia, if that helps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Bros._and_JK_Rowling_vs._RDR_Books

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  16:39:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl

I wrote an article on the trial on Wikipedia, if that helps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Bros._and_JK_Rowling_vs._RDR_Books

Thanks, Diri. That was very informative.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.