New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  00:51:58  Show Profile Send AMC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No political discussion? Not even after the Republican party's new running mate elect made her stirring RNC convention speech, enthusing that her experience running a small town in bum-f*k Alaska makes her the perfect candidate to help run one of the largest countries in the world? And one that needs protecting! From foreigners wearing head-cloths! And... domestic Oil exploration! And.. more conservative media! Which apparently means media that won't notice the discrepancies between her platitudes and her personal life. So - subjectively discreet media.

As someone from Texas said - "Big Hair... No Cattle". I love that expression.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  08:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't we give up on discussing politics some time after the Iraq war started?

Anyway,

My favourite comment on the appointment of Sarah Palin came from Stephen Colbert:

"Yes, Alaska is America's closest point to Russia, making Palin an excellent experience in foreign affairs. But then Alaska also has Mt. McKinley, making it America's closest point to space, so Palin also must have exceptional experience in space affairs."

I wonder what would happen to the US media if they found out what "Bristols" are in the UK...

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 09/04/2008 08:48:32
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  10:42:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard that one last night! Did you know that line about foreign affairs was a quote? One of the commentators on either Fox or MSNBC came up with that one when she was announced as running mate. Ah, Colbert, how I do love thee! After all he is the best thing ever to come out of South Carolina.

Just so we're clear, I don't go camping-- in any sense of the word.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  19:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I enjoyed this:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

In case it's no longer the leader, page down to the "$8 million" headline.

Edited by - AMC on 09/04/2008 19:05:36
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  10:38:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can already tell this year's holidays are going to be uncomfortable. My in-laws referred to Palin as "the vice-president" the other night, seemingly forgetting the idea that no one has voted on that issue yet and that she's only a candidate. *sigh* My father-in-law especially can't let it go. He is trying to pick a fight with me about this and it is frustrating him no end that I'm not taking the bait (he suspects I'm a liberal). Thanksgiving is going to be either gloating or sulking on his part, depending on how the election goes. Christmas will be a continuation of such. I really hate election years. Perhaps I can beg off so I don't have to hear either reaction.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  11:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried changing the subject on him? Maybe if you were to bring up another topic he was interested him, it would distract him enough to get him to forget about politics.
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  12:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate election years too, though not because of political differences with family. I'm increasingly frustrated because I feel that my vote doesn't count in presidential elections. Because of our electoral college system, we don't have a one-person-one-vote chance to choose the leader of our nation. Instead, each state votes and the system gives more power to the smaller states than the larger ones. Worse, it's a winner-take-all proposition. It doesn't matter if 51% of a state's voters choose a particular candidate or if 99% of them do, the number of electoral college votes remains the same. This basic inequity is probably the single worst thing about our political system.

As to Palin, I can't believe that McCain picked her. Were there NO other qualified women to choose from? Somehow I doubt it. The woman is rabidly right-wing; under investigation in Alaska for abusing her power; and as for experience, San Francisco has a larger population than Alaska (740,000 vs 680,000). This is the person we want a step away from the presidency when McCain is already the oldest person to ever run for the office and has known health problems? What was he thinking?!

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 09/05/2008 13:41:59
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  14:00:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was thinking of all the things she could bring to the ticket that he lacks, ie. youth, gender, a smoother speaking style.

Did you see the Colbert Report last night? He pointed out what she didn't regarding her involvement in the Bridge to Nowhere. She was a supporter of the project at first and didn't change her mind until the national spotlight was turned on it. By then she had the money in hand for the project-- money which was never returned once the project was dumped. So regardless of whether the bridge was built, we paid for it.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  14:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There were/are plenty of other far more qualified candidates - it blows my mind that this woman was McCain's choice. Makes me think rather less of his brain power, to be honest.

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  14:18:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Siobhan, that's absolutely disgraceful and I'm sure we'll be hearing more about it and Palin's other issues in the days to come.

I know that McCain wanted a woman on the ticket - that part was smart. But there are plenty of tough, smart, articulate women in the Republican party who are under 60 and have more experience and stature than Palin. I suppose McCain thought she was a godsend to the right wing - and she is, but that's not going to earn him the moderate votes he needs.

Obama chose a running mate who would make him more appealing to the country at large. McCain chose a running mate who appeals to the most conservative element of his own party.

Edited:
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

There were/are plenty of other far more qualified candidates - it blows my mind that this woman was McCain's choice. Makes me think rather less of his brain power, to be honest.
Yes, I definitely have a lower opinion of the man now.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 09/05/2008 14:22:17
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  14:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My opinion of him started dropping when he spoke at the commencement at Liberty University. How he could speak there after the opinions he had expressed earlier in the year floored me. Then he started courting that element of the party and that ruined him for me. The only thing I can say positive about Palin is that she isn't Mitt "Democrats-Are-Terrorists" Romney. Other than that I've got nothing.

Over the holidays, I'll just have to be careful to tune all that crap out. Who knows, it may be easier than I expect.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  00:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does your hair cover your ears? Can you wear an iPod and run the wires down your shirt back? It might make the family Holidays much more joyful!

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  03:49:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Obama chose a running mate who would make him more appealing to the country at large. McCain chose a running mate who appeals to the most conservative element of his own party.

I dunno. No disrespect to the fair sex, but it seems to me that if those same Hillary supporters who said they would vote for McCain if Hillary didn't get on the ticket are thus willing to put a pro-life, anti-equal opportunities old white male in the White House purely out of spite, then a pro-life, anti-evolution, gun-toting kid-popper like Palin ought to be no problem. After all, as Samantha Bee so eloquently put it, she has a funpouch.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 09/06/2008 03:51:13
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  19:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

Does your hair cover your ears? Can you wear an iPod and run the wires down your shirt back? It might make the family Holidays much more joyful!

No, but it could be by Christmas. My only problem with that one is that I can't seem to use ear buds-- they hurt too much. I do have a set of noise reducing headphones, though they aren't what I would call inconspicuous.

Diri, I would only point out that the Hillary supporters who threatened to vote for McCain were not all members of the "fair sex." I saw plenty of guys out there in those angry support groups. If they are going to be so petty as they threaten, then I suppose they will run the risk of getting what they deserve. It does bring into question the whole idea of loyalty and hipocrisy, though. How does someone who has thrown their complete support behind a person reconcile themselves to losing and then manage to toss that support behind the other guy without looking really stupid? The candidates certainly didn't make it easy. And really, they did look silly with all that egg on their faces.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  01:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are some earbuds that work better than the std apple-style, which can be uncomfortable, especially for small ears. I got a pair from Radio shack that have stopper-style rubber ends and the rubber tips come with 3 sizes, to better fit individual ear canals. Or perhaps you could dress your headphones in fleece and pretend you have chronically cold ears??

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  12:18:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or I could wear an ear-flap hat! I've got a balaclava pattern I could knit up especially for the occasion. I've even got some alpaca yarn in deep cerise pink that's just screaming at me to make something up!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  14:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An In-law ear protector would be just the thing!

I was thinking of poor Pixie this morning - once again, Ohio is the big swing state! Pity the State of Ohio!!! It's going to be election madness there for the next 8 weeks.

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  15:30:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, an in-law ear protector. You know, I bet you could market that!

I don't know which is worse, being in a "safe" state where you're ingored because everyone knows which candidate is going to win, or being in a swing state where you're inundated with election madness. Have I mentioned that I hate presidential elections?

Diri, it personally blows my mind that any Hillary supporter could vote for McCain/Palin. Do they even know what positions these candidates stand for? Nevertheless, I can accept that there is a spite vote out there, but I don't think it's going to be increased much by Palin. The disaffected Hillarites probably would have voted for McCain anyway. I'm also not sure how much of the angry, "I'll support the Republicans then!" talk is actually going to turn into action come November. You can be sure that Hillary is going to be out stumping for Obama right up until election day and we can't dismiss that.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  17:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's rather worrying that a lot of the voters seem to be (acting like) disgruntled teenagers rather than informed grown-ups.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."

Edited by - Starling on 09/08/2008 17:04:49
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  22:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the trend. I tend to agree with the senator who said we've turned into a nation of whiners (though he was talking about the "mythical" recession).

What I find interesting is that friends of ours who have been staunch Reps. are now working for the Dem. party getting people registered to vote. I think GW has some people pretty disillusioned with the GOP. McSame seems to have been unsucessful in his earlier attempts to distance himself from the current administration and now seems to be embracing them. By doing so he's losing people who might have voted for him before. It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out and if anything in politics changes for the better because of the election.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  11:36:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out and if anything in politics changes for the better because of the election.

Well, no one could be worse than GW - unless of course McCain kicks the bucket and Palin gets the job. *Shudders*

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  11:37:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which is quite likely, actually.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  15:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheowynWell, no one could be worse than GW - unless of course McCain kicks the bucket and Palin gets the job. *Shudders*

Which is EXACTLY what worries me most.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  16:20:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me, too. The fact that Dick Cheney fully approves of her is another reason to be afraid.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  07:35:15  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We did give up talking about politics, but it's nearly impossible not to these days.

I've never liked McCain, but his choice of Palin shows how lacking he is in careful critical thought. Does anyone know if this is true? I heard somewhere that the speech that she gave was written by a speech writer BEFORE she was picked as the running mate. So if that's the case, bring on the debates where she'll have to come up with some answers on her own. Well, not really--I think they are all very well coached.

But I have to agree--what on earth was McCain thinking? She's no more qualified than the mayor of any of our large cities, really. And I hope they realize that the voters they want to pick up that were loyal to Hillary are smarter than that. Palin doesn't stand for any of the same things--the only thing they have in common is gender. So now we know why McCain picked her. Stupin move on his part. I just hope it's enough to spare us from four more years of another Bush.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  14:33:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know, Eeyore. They seem to think that everyone has the memory and attention span of a flea with all that talk about how Obama is against off-shore drilling. Aside from the fact that supply and demand are NOT the reason oil prices are high (its all futures which wouldn't be affected by off-shore drilling anyways-- something I'd expect a businessman to know), McCain is one of the guys who engineered that ban. He was touting that fact earlier in his campaign.

It seems to me that it may come down to voting against a candidate rather than for one yet again. I'm not sold on Obama, but I sure don't want another 4 years of morality laws and more restriction of personal rights-- not to mention all the idiotic rhetoric from the White House we've endured.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  14:38:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And yet - the news is saying McCain has moved ahead of Obama for the first time due entirely to the "bounce" from his choice of Sara Palin as running mate? Sometimes I wonder what the majority of Americans are thinking...? We have so many problems that need to be addressed urgently - we don't need a religious warrior spearheading more wrong-headed foreign policy in a vain effort to prove our lost internationl supremacy is still in place. We need someone who can address our domestic issues and try to regain some of our lost ground internationally. It's a huge job, I don't know if anyone is really up for it but I know who I DON'T want making our country's decisions and that's Palin.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  15:33:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem is that a lot of Americans actually believe that most of America's problems would be solved by a religious warrior. If McCain/Palin win this election, I think it's time for liberal/secular America to seriously consider partition. I'm not joking.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  17:07:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why does everybody keep harping on about Palin having family values when she's dragging a baby (with Down's!) and a 6-year old around with a political circus? Or does she dump them with a nanny/babysitter instead? Or does having 5 kids automatically mean you have "family values"?

Anyhoo, I can see where this is heading. The Republicans will "win" again. They'll have fewer votes than the Democrats but win the election anyway, just like the last two elections.

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  18:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl

The problem is that a lot of Americans actually believe that most of America's problems would be solved by a religious warrior. If McCain/Palin win this election, I think it's time for liberal/secular America to seriously consider partition. I'm not joking.
I would actually agree with this whole-heartedly (and I am dead serious) except that liberal/secular America is the only thing keeping the religious right from taking over completely. Can you imagine a nation as powerful as the U.S. run by these people with NO opposition? At least the liberals and conservatives wrestle each other to a draw most of the time.

So if McCain wins in November, do us a favor. Amid all the inevitable America bashing, spare a kind word for the 150 million of us who have to suffer these people everyday while working to stymie their excesses as much as possible.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  01:34:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Theo - yes and no. More of the states who support "religious" (fundementalist christian) values in government are not the states that actually represent the "power" (money, resources, businesses) behind the U.S. Someone has to pay for those holy wars, they cost a lot you know. States like California, New York and Massachussetts, who do not support religion in government, bear a huge percentage of the burden of the federal budget. An awful lot of the Southern States are truly "welfare states" in my eyes - they get much more annually from the federal budget than they contribute and where does that money come from? The Northern and Western states where population and income levels are high. The fact that we all pay the same income tax as if our income levels represent equivalent purchasing power across the country is one of our great inequities. The fact that some states constantly get pillaged by the federal budget and others consistently get fed is another. Texas and Florida would have to support all of the other southern states without any help from the north states. How much do you think they'd have left over for their righteous armies? Some - but not as much as they have now!

Besides - and I mean this quite honestly. We had a big civil war once, the nation still bears the scars. I wouldn't want another. ANd if the state split into factions, it would be inevitable.

Edited by - AMC on 09/13/2008 01:38:06
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.