Philosopher to Hallows
 Unanswered big questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wizard from Milan
Barmy

236 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  23:11:58  Show Profile Send Wizard from Milan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have started re-reading DH, there are some big questions that remain unanswered (at least to me). I'll start now, and will update this with more questions as I come up.

The biggest question is my mind is the following:
1. What was Dumbledore thinking when he wore the stone? Did he (A) make one of his emotional mistakes and in the eagerness of contacting Ariana did not realize that the ring was cursed, or (B) he knew the ring was cursed, but he wanted to contact Ariana so badly that decided to give up his life for it (not wanting to take the chance of loosing the possibility that the stone might not work after it was broken)

2. Was Dumbledore's love reciprocated by Grindelwald? I tend to believe that Grindelwald was heterosexual. i tend to believe that because I think JKR wanted DD's loved to be doomed by impossibility from the very beginning.

3. What happened to Rita Skeeter? Ok, maybe this is not such a big question, but I am rereading DH and I really cannot stand her spin. I do think that JKR has done a good job in replicating the spinners' techniques. I just reread the caption under the picture the picture of DD-GG laughing that said something like "DD, just a few months after his mother's death, laughing with his friend GG."

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  10:13:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On point two, I think you may be right, but there's also the idea that Grindelwald was so egocentric that he really couldn't love anyone. That would also nix any real relationship. Grindelwald may also have been aware of Dumbledore's feelings and have used them against him or at least to manipulate him. Imagine the power rush. You know that makes Grindelwald sound even more like Voldemort than I had intended.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  12:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Siobhan on point 2. As to point 1, I think DD just wasn't thinking. I believe he did make an emotional mistake and was so eager to contact Ariana that he got careless.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Wizard from Milan
Barmy

236 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  21:31:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am now almost done with the rereading and actually there is an answer in the book to my question 1: according to DD himself in the King's Cross chapter he was so engrossed with the prospect of the power of bringing back him family to live with him that he did not sense Voldy's curse. I have a hard time accepting the idea of Power-Hungry!DD-in-his-old-age. I can understand 17-years-old-Power-Hungry!DD but I am still having a problem with 117-Power-Hungry!DD. This is also a big question then:
4. How did DD manage to hide his power-hunger so well during the first 6 books? Were there any clues that DD was a so power hungry in books 1 to 6?
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  11:27:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking for myself, while reading the whole series, I had no clue that Dumbledore was power hungry at any point in his life. Certainly he recognised the dangers of being in a position of power, evidenced in his warnings to Fudge, but recognizing them and fearing going down that same path are separate things. Since the story is seen through the eyes of Harry, one wouldn't expect to see such things clearly-- especially with so little knowledge of the wizarding past. This aspect of the story works quite well for me. It took me by surprise but goes a long way to making the manipulations that Dumbledore undertook less of a jarring note. That's not to say that I like or excuse them, just that given the new light shed on DD's character, they make a little more sense.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  17:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'm being too kind here, but I didn't really take DD's excitement at the prospect of bringing back his family as power-hungriness. He might characterize it that way in hindsight, but really he just seemed thrilled at the prospect of being able to use the ring's power to revive his loved ones. That is not the same as being power-hungry as he was in his youth. After all, DD gave Harry the Invisibility Cloak and never used the Elder Wand to gain power, so I do think he fundamentally changed after his sister's death. More than power, I think he just desperately wanted to see his sister again.

As to his youthful arrogance and excesses, no there is no clue to these in the earlier books. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing, is probably a matter of personal opinion. DD's backstory didn't bother me except for the fact that it took over the book and replaced the Harry/Snape/Voldemort plot that had been the mainstay of the previous six books and which was begging for a proper resolution.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Wizard from Milan
Barmy

236 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  22:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theowyn

Maybe I'm being too kind here, but I didn't really take DD's excitement at the prospect of bringing back his family as power-hungriness. He might characterize it that way in hindsight, but really he just seemed thrilled at the prospect of being able to use the ring's power to revive his loved ones. That is not the same as being power-hungry as he was in his youth.

That's how I always had interpreted it, but the more literal reading of the King's Cross passage does not seem to be that one.

I guess that even a BIGGER QUESTION came to my mind:
If DD knew that Voldy was acting as a tether to life for Harry (and therefore Harry would not have truly died), why did he not tell that to Harry?
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  13:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question, not about the book but about the fans: why are people speculating about what the foetus thing is in King's Cross? It's blindingly obvious it's the piece of Voldemort's soul that was inside Harry's head.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  20:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I got that immediately too and had a "whaaaaa?" reaction when I saw people didn't get it. That's always been the case, though. Some things that are obvious to me, need to be explained to others and vice versa. I can be really out of it sometimes.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  07:53:01  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm usually pretty good on catching things, but for some reason Baby!Mort slipped by me until someone on this group explained it. Then I was able to make all the connections to GoF and the slimy baby thing that went into the cauldron, etc. I need to reread DH and figure out why it wasn't clear to me what it was at the time. Maybe the fact that I had been reading for 11 hours and was punchy at the time?

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  11:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wizard from Milan

I guess that even a BIGGER QUESTION came to my mind:
If DD knew that Voldy was acting as a tether to life for Harry (and therefore Harry would not have truly died), why did he not tell that to Harry?

If Harry had known he wasn't going to die when Voldy tried to kill him then it wouldn't have been a sacrifice on Harry's part, and there wouldn't have been the protection around those fighting the Death Eaters at the end. Also, telling Harry this would mean telling him that he was a horcrux, which could have had disastrous results.

That's what I took it to mean anyway.

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.