Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  23:18:35  Show Profile Send Jokelly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I've been hearing and reading a lot about the series Twilight. My neice is a huge fan and it's constantly being compared to HP. Seems the last one is being released soon. Tonight maybe. Bookstores are opening at midnight, parties are being had, just like HP. Why question is has anyone here read it?

I know the story is about a girl who falls for a vampire and then in future books gets involved with a werewold and she has to choose between the two. (Naturally, I'm biased toward the werewolf, but I haven't read the books). But girls are going nuts for this story. It just seems to me like all the trashy romance novels, which I usually love, that center around vampires and the paranormal, something I don't love. I'm just not wild about vampires. My neice is counting down until the first movie comes out in December and told me I have to take her if she sits through Harry Potter in November.

Maybe it will be something to take out of the library. Any opinions on the series?

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  16:54:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not feel the slightest urge to read the Twilight novels. They sound like trashy romance novels with a vampiric twist, indeed, and I can't stand trashy romance novels. I don't like books that centre purely on romance, unless it's a helluva story (see Jane Eyre).

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  21:08:27  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My sentiments, exactly, starling. I remember someone telling me how wonderful the Twilight books are but when I read a synopsis, it left me cold. And to be honest, it sounds creepy in a stalkerish sort of way. So, no thanks--not for me either.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  11:39:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it sounds a bit "foil-font" to me, too, but I'm on the waiting list at the library. If it turns out as bad as it appears, then I've wasted nothing but a little time.

Did you hear the one about the dyslexic devil-worshiper who sold his soul to Santa?

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  12:07:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, so I've started Twilight. Despite its flaws, so far I really like it. Being set in Forks, Washington means it has an unreasonable chance at a favourable review from me-- I'm so biased. Bella, the main character and narator of the story, is sarcastic and suffers from an inability to play sports, so there's another couple of pluses. She faints at the sight/smell of blood-- something I can also relate to though her reaction is stronger than mine. Edward sounds absolutely adorable despite the fact that I know he's a hemovore. I think that gives him just the perfect amount of danger to be enticing.

I'll keep posting on this, as I read, but I'm going to move this topic to Library Lunacy: Potterless Tomes despite the fact that we are also talking movie.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  04:06:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Count me out. I grew out of Anne Rice years ago, and everything since then has just been an attempt to rip her off.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  10:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never read Anne Rice and can't bear Tom Cruise so watching "Interview With a Vampire" is out of the question.

I can see where the werewolf storyline comes in. It is interwoven with Quileute tribal lore (wether actual or not, I've yet to check). Nice twist-- unusual at the least.

There will not be any torrid, graphic love scenes based on what I've read so far. I'm not sure that would be posible.

The vampire issue is not nearly as all absorbing as I would have thought. Certainly it is a big issue, but there are other personal interactions that are more important to Bella ().

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  15:58:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did I mention that I like the smart-ass banter?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  10:17:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Final anaylsis: a thumbs up. I liked this book a great deal. It was a fun, almost light-hearted read. Having got to the dramatic climax this morning at 12:30am, I found I couldn't sleep until I finished the rest of the book-- in short it is a page turner. Is it perfect? No. Is it enjoyable? Yes. There's no annoying teen angst a la OotP, no flowery romance novel language (well, one passage I can remember would be borderline), no sex, no bats. The supernatural angle is an integral part of the story, but not in a hackneyed way. It is, in my opinion, balanced quite well. Mostly because Bella doesn't really agonize over the whole thing for pages and pages. She accepts it.

I would say, check the book out from the library and give it a try. If you don't like it, don't finish it. You'll have wasted very little.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  14:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the review, Siobhan. My kids really like this series, so I may indeed check it out.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  14:42:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh thanks for the review, Siobhan. I was wondering whether they were worth bothering with. Only heard of the series when I was in the US - don't think it's that popular over here... unless I've just completely failed to notice, which is also possible. :) Might give them a whirl if the library gets them in.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  12:24:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy to oblige. I'm on the library's waiting list for book two, New Moon (Eclipse and Breaking Dawn are the other two).

You know, I vaguely remember looking into this series before, but I don't remember what triggered my interest. Hmmm. Perhaps it was my friend in NC. I'll have to ask her now because it's driving me nuts not knowing for certain.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  15:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More Twilight (the movie) news. The release date of December 21st has been changed. It is now November 21st-- a move completely unrelated to HPHBP. The only bearing this has on those of us who are interested is that we may have a bright spot in November despite Warner Brothers. I looked at the trailer for the movie today. I'm not so sure the movie looks as good as the book, but I'll go see it anyways. BTW, Robert Pattinson (Cedric Diggory) plays Edward Cullen.

I finally had time to look up the Quileute Nation's website here:http://www.quileutenation.org/index.cfm?page=history.html.
The legend that has bearing on Twilight mentioned here is as follows.
quote:
According to their ancient creation story, the Quileutes were changed from wolves by a wandering Transformer. By legend, their only kindred, the Chimakum Tribe, were washed away by flood and deposited near present-day Port Townsend (where they lived until Chief Seattle's Suquamish Tribe wiped them out in the 1860s), leaving the Quileutes with no known relatives on earth.
Stephenie Meyers seems to have done her homework.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  07:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Never read Anne Rice and can't bear Tom Cruise so watching "Interview With a Vampire" is out of the question.

I dare ya. IMHO, it's the only decent performance Tom Cruise has ever given. And an advantage to the film over the book is that you don't have to put up with Louis's whinging all the time.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  15:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just never warmed up to Tom Cruise-- he leaves me queasy-- and the blond wig in Vampire didn't help any. I'll stand by my decision to not make myself ill by watching him. My mother is after me to watch Last Samurai-- tempting me with the fact that he totally gets his butt kicked. It's still not working. The only film of his I've seen all the way through was Top Gun *insert wretching sound here*. Really it's the same way I feel about Kevin Costner-- though I will force myself to watch Robin Hood on occasion simply for Alan Rickman.

I just realized who Robert Pattinson reminds me of. It's been bothering me since looking at imdb the other day. I went to high school with a blond version of him. Well, I suppose Mike's chin was slightly more pointy and he had blue eyes. He had all the girls in school drooling over him-- had brains too, but didn't always use them. According to a friend of mine, Mike was spending way too much of his free time trying to kill brain cells in any way possible-- sad really. Of course that may have been an exaggeration made out of jealousy, too.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  10:36:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished the Twilight series last night, or rather early this morning. I was truly surprised to find that I enjoyed the whole series-- including the ending. Some fans were disappointed (hmmm, deja vu?) by the nice tidy fairy tale ending, but it didn't strike a sour note with me. There's plenty of room left for spin off stories by Meyer and/or fans. In fact Meyer was, until recently, working on a fifth book to augment the series that retold the story from a differnt character's point of view. That book is on indefinite hold because a draft of the manuscript leaked onto the internet. Meyer has since posted the draft on her website (all twelve chapters).

All in all, I would say this series is great as long as one is looking for an entertaining story. It isn't what I would call "great literature," but it was fun.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  13:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Working on a book that gives the story from a different character's point of view? I'm having deja vu to Interview with a Vampire ...

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  10:30:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead?" or the similarities between HP and Dark is Rising, or ?-- well you get the idea I never said Twilight absolutely unique, just enjoyable.

Since it seems I haven't read vampire (though that was never my intention or interest in Twilight to begin with) till I've read Anne Rice, I tried to find a copy of Interview yesterday when at the library, but it was checked out. I've just started Heck, Where the Bad Kids Go (which is hillarious, btw), so once I finish that I'll make a go at Interview. I warn you, though, if it is grisly, I will drop it immediately. I'm not into horror anything, and that's how the library has her books tagged. In an attempt to try Stephen King, I read about 3 pages of Rose Madder that husband had set to donate to the library. Not for me-- way too stressful, angering, and downright brutal.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  12:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

How about "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead?" or the similarities between HP and Dark is Rising, or ?-- well you get the idea I never said Twilight absolutely unique, just enjoyable.

Since it seems I haven't read vampire (though that was never my intention or interest in Twilight to begin with) till I've read Anne Rice, I tried to find a copy of Interview yesterday when at the library, but it was checked out. I've just started Heck, Where the Bad Kids Go (which is hillarious, btw), so once I finish that I'll make a go at Interview. I warn you, though, if it is grisly, I will drop it immediately. I'm not into horror anything, and that's how the library has her books tagged. In an attempt to try Stephen King, I read about 3 pages of Rose Madder that husband had set to donate to the library. Not for me-- way too stressful, angering, and downright brutal.

If you want to try Stephen King, you should have a go at the Dark Tower series. My 18 y.o. son loves it and I don't think it's as brutal as most of King's writing. Or you could skip his fiction altogether and read his book, On Writing which is quite interesting.

And yes, Rice is the vampire standard against which all others are measured. Her work is compeling, but it may be a bit graphic for you. The things that are only implied by Bram Stoker are fully realized by Rice. Do give it a try though.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 09/05/2008 12:38:27
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  14:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thing is, Twilight isn't a vampire novel any more than HP is a witchcraft story. Sure there are vampires and werewolves in it, but that's not really what the story is about. Bella's reaction to both revelations is indicative. She doesn't care what the boys are, just who they are. She accepts their differences very easily (to the guys' astonishment).

I've read Dracula a couple of times. Last time it hit me how really difficult it is for me to feel any interest in Mina Harker-- too iconic and flat.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  17:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried reading King's The Stand, but I gave up when it got too brutal too. An entire chapter of carefully described gruesome murders and mayhem is just pointless, in my opinion.

Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  13:42:11  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Coming late to the party (real life happens), thanks for the review, Siobhan. It sounds like something I would enjoy. I too can't take heavy vampire stories, but have found a distinct fondness for vampire-lite. Go figure.

Actually, I am finding that HP was not a one-off for me, but I am increasingly liking Young Adult fiction over what is published as Adult fiction. The books seem to have more actual plot to them and a couple of the writers I have found are wonderful.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  14:58:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sunsethill

Coming late to the party (real life happens), thanks for the review, Siobhan. It sounds like something I would enjoy. I too can't take heavy vampire stories, but have found a distinct fondness for vampire-lite. Go figure.

Actually, I am finding that HP was not a one-off for me, but I am increasingly liking Young Adult fiction over what is published as Adult fiction. The books seem to have more actual plot to them and a couple of the writers I have found are wonderful.

Do tell, SH. I could use a good rec.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  15:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just read Eoin Colfer's "Half Moon Detective Agency". It was great! I'm also looking forward to "The Unnameables" by Ellen Booraem. Out in the States already but not here until October, boo.

It's difficult to find good stories for adults, books seem to be either arty farty or really stupid. "Shadow of the Wind" was good, though.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  23:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've requested Interview With A Vampire at the library. The little bit I read on Amazon seemed OK. You should see the reviews. Overall the book is given a 4.5 star rating. There are lots of 4-5 star reviews, a few one star ratings, but there are almost no middle ground reviews-- extremes on either side.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  11:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've requested Interview With A Vampire at the library. The little bit I read on Amazon seemed OK. You should see the reviews. Overall the book is given a 4.5 star rating. There are lots of 4-5 star reviews, a few one star ratings, but there are almost no middle ground reviews-- extremes on either side.

Yes, it's definitely the sort of book one would either love or hate.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  11:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I preferred the next book, I hated Louis in Interview. Lestat is much funnier (and eviller).

Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  15:35:04  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theowyn

quote:
Originally posted by sunsethill

Do tell, SH. I could use a good rec.

Happily. Didn't want to

I would definitely recommend Megan Whalen Turner's currently three-part series based in her faux Greco-Roman/Persian world and introducing one of the best characters in fiction, Eugenides. The first book, The Thief, feels more like a YA book and starts a little slowly, but packs a nice twist at the end. But by The Queen of Attolia and then The King of Attolia Turner really hits her stide with some very complex plotting and some really intriguing characterizations. I find Eugenides one of my favorite fictional characters. She manages to mix romance, action/adventure, and political thriller/spy novel all into one great package.

Elizabeth E. Wein's stories bringing together a retelling of the Arthurian legends and the African kingdom of Aksum are also beautifully told. Lots of lovely angst, intriguing characters, a unique setting, and themes of honor, familial love and jealousy, forgiveness, and redemption. The Winter Prince is set in Britain, then the action moves to Aksum in A Coalition of Lions, The Sunbird, The Lion Hunter, and The Empty Kingdom. I found the second book a little slow, but the third book, The Sunbird, blew me away.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  11:18:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've started Interview, but it's tough going. So far neither the characters or the story have managed to capture my attention/interest. I'll keep with it for a while longer, but I can't guarantee anything. I'm still slogging through Louis' tale of his new life.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  13:55:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm reading "The Unnameables" at the moment. It took me a chapter and a half to get into it, but now I'm totally sucked in.

It's about a foundling who lives with a bunch of people on an island called Island, and they all live according to "The Book". They all have names according to what they are (Carver, Baker, etc.), and only things that are useful have names. Frivilous things (such as decorations and stories) are strictly forbidden because they're not Useful.

The foundling doesn't have a "useful" name (his surname is Runyuin) and he gets into big trouble when "The Goatman" and his smelly dog arrives.

It's one of those books with lots of bits that make you giggle (such as when Goatman eats the teatowels) and also lots of bits that make you want to strangle certain characters (Deemer Learner with his black robes reminds me of someone ...).

Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2008 :  16:27:26  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

All in all, I would say this series is great as long as one is looking for an entertaining story. It isn't what I would call "great literature," but it was fun.

Siobhan, I just finished Twilight and want to thank you for letting us know you enjoyed it. I had a feeling if you liked it, that I would, too. I greatly enjoyed the book, and yes, it's not great literature but it was a compelling story. I identified with Bella so many times as I moved around a lot as an adolescent and was definitely NOT athletic either. Her gym class sounds SO much like the torture I went through in high school, even down to the sports rotation. I'm not sure how many high schools actually structure gym that way anymore, but I remember trying to make sure no one ever passed the ball to me in either volleyball or basketball. I can't wait for the next books to make it to the library.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.