Why does nobody tell me these things?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  13:49:05  Show Profile Send Siobhan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While shopping on Amazon today I discovered that The Tales of Beedle the Bard will be available in both a standard and an exclusive (and expensive) edition starting on the 4th of December.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=gw_cto_beedlebuy?ie=UTF8&docId=1000179911&pf_rd_p=422073201&pf_rd_s=left-nav-2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=507846&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0JC1740Y42ESE7GTEGK8

Now needless to say, I am happy to see this happening (the book went on my highest priority Wish List), but what I want to know is what changed JKR's mind? Part of the auction deal was that the book was not to be published by the purchaser.

I'm off to see if I can find any news about this.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  14:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, so maybe this is new news. I just checke JKR.com and found an announcement dated 31 July (Harry's Birthday) in the news section.

Among other things the book will include:
quote:
Dumbledore's commentary on the tales, which was discovered among his papers after his death, [including] some historical notes, personal reminiscences, and insights into that most mysterious branch of magic: wandlore....

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  15:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it is new news. Just heard about it a couple of hours ago myself. I'm exciiiiited... :D

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!

Edited by - Bee on 07/31/2008 15:32:16
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  15:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what I'm getting for my birthday!

The posh version!

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  16:41:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never bought any of the peripheral HP books and I won't be buying this one either, but I might look it up in the library.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  17:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooooies! Posh or non-posh? Sensible or totally cool? that's my only dilemma. I suppose I could ask for the fancy one for Christmas...

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  23:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to preorder it tomorrow!
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  10:42:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As somebody with a rag-tag collection of HPs (PS in UK paperback with the regular cover; CoS and PoA in UK paperback with "adult" cover; GoF, OotP and HBP in regular UK hardback; and DH in regular American hardback), I'm not that fussed about getting the posh version. I just want a version I can read and not feel bad about spilling tea on. :) That said, if someone were to buy me the posh one for Christmas, I would be perfectly okay with that... ;)

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!

Edited by - Bee on 08/01/2008 10:43:33
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  23:06:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm ordering the non-posh version. My family would never spend $100 on a book for me so I'm not even asking. That doesn't stop me from pining over it, though.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Eeyore
Barmy

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  15:44:19  Show Profile  Send Eeyore a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love the posh one as well. But I'll settle for the standard version. I think what I might like is to have both the US and UK ones, though. They have different covers and might have other differences inside--who knows. At least that is a possibility. What I really want hubby to get me is the Deathly Hallows audio book with Stephen Fry--then I'll have all seven. So I'm not going to mention the posh Beedle the Bard.

Eeyore

Order of the Bookmark
Member of HPEW & HPCS appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  16:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the non-posh US version looks bl**dy awful!

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  19:49:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't excited about this book at first, but now I'm starting to want to read it. The collector's edition is beautiful, but I'm wondering if it's worth the $100 pricetag. Ouch! Is the regular edition hardback? If it is, that's all I'll need.

Edited by - n/a on 08/03/2008 19:50:42
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  11:42:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the Standard Edition is hardcover.

That Special Edition is looking better every time I look at it. It has extra illustrations, too. I've added it to my wish list. It could be my birthday present!*hint, hint, hint*

I agree with Starling about the appearance of the US Standard Edition. What a mismash of an illustration!

Here's a link to the UK Standard Edition for comparison.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0747599874/ref=amb_link_73875365_5?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=01FA75A7PNMGJ37TF347&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=208986691&pf_rd_i=1000137983

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.