Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Third Floor................Uncontrollable Giggling
 Inherently Random
 Hi all - I'm back too... with a question!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Emmmma
Barmy

293 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  17:15:53  Show Profile Send Emmmma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi - Emma from the Garsides... The biggest news is that my keyboard works! I have caps and all punctuation marks so I can write like a normal person.
It's oddly comforting to read the posts here and see that I was not the only one to be left numb and dumbfounded by DH. So glad to see the forum is still around.
This may sound odd but I have a literary question and you guys immediately came to mind. I hope someone here can help: I need to find examples -famous or not- of literary writings (can be music also) with ambiguous meaning. A proverb, verse, quote that may be read as addressing one person specifically or humanity in general; something that may be read as threat or advice; just really any ambiguous meaning.
Any help will be greatly appreciated - and hello to all of you again...

Formerly Garside! ;-)

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  11:21:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, goodness, Emmmmma! Harry Potter is full of them, but I can't think of a one at the moment. Getting old, I guess-- or perhaps its just time for another re-read...

PS. Good to see you!

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  18:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*Dons thinking cap*
Go to Top of Page

Emmmma
Barmy

293 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  13:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol... thanks. I have about a month to prepare this so maybe something will come up between now and then.

Formerly Garside! ;-)
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  01:29:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll try Emmmma - nothing springs to mind but I'm sure I know lots.

Would Rock lyrics counts?

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Emmmma
Barmy

293 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  21:39:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi AMC, my fellow Slytherin!!!
Yes, rock lyrics count... basically anything that may be read two ways, or be read as first person instead of second person. It's a weird question but I'm involuntarily trapped in the field of text analysis and it's not my thing.
hey - I certainly hope you did not change houses after the DH disaster. we have to belong in one house or another, you know..

Formerly Garside! ;-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.