What is Hillary Clinton doing?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  08:14:34  Show Profile Send diricawl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't get it. Can someone please explain to me what she is doing? She can't win unless she manages to persuade the superdelegates who voted for Obama to vote for her. So what is she trying to accomplish by not conceding?

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  12:19:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure. At least she is planning to make an announcement of some kind Friday. It is expected that she will concede and ask her supporters to back Obama. Perhaps she's giving them some time to come to grips with the change. There are quite a few who say they would rather vote for McCain than Obama. I don't understand the polarity, but it does exist. What is odd to me is that the numbers seem to indicate that Hillary won the popular vote (I have to check that-- CNN's font was too small and fuzzy to read on the plane), but that the superdelegates were the ones who made up for it. The whole idea that one person's vote counts more than another's is a step backwards, IMO-- even in a party race.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  13:55:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hillary officially endorsed Obama today. I didn't get the audio, just saw it on a restaurant TV over lunch.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  14:27:04  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan
What is odd to me is that the numbers seem to indicate that Hillary won the popular vote (I have to check that-- CNN's font was too small and fuzzy to read on the plane), but that the superdelegates were the ones who made up for it.
If this is true, it will be slightly funny to me after all the ruckus that was kicked up over Bush winning the electoral college vote and not the popular vote the first time around. This, of course, made Bush the anti-christ, but Obama is definitely the new messiah. If the same thing has happened with the Democratic nomination process, it will be quite amusing to this long-time Republican.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  21:41:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem for me is the whole superdelegate business. It means that some delegates' votes count for more than others. Add this to the fact that Michigan broke their signed agreement not to hold their primary until after a certain date and Florida's Congress moved their primary forward (Reps hold the upper hand, btw) and the superdelegates are even more important. Inner party wrangling is always a bore.

It will be more interesting to see how the VP slot affects each ticket. Lots of people who might be tempted by McCain may be turned away by a choice of, say Mitt Romney or Condeleeza Rice. For the Dems a ticket of Obama and Clinton could unify the party, but somehow I don't see that combination working well together especially with Obama as the lead.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  22:26:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The primary controvery is horrible when you learn the Republicans were in charge of moving the date in Florida. There should be a national primary, meaning all primaries are held on the same day. Our country would look a lot different if this happened, but it never will. Primary season and the Electoral College will never disappear.

I know it's not good, but I live in a predominately Democratic region. My county voted 74% for Hilary and I've heard so many people say either they're voting for McCain because they won't vote for Obama, or they're just not voting. Even my father, who is a staunch democrat and has never voted Republican in a Presidential election says he's considering voting for McCain. He doesn't like him, but he doesn't like Obama, either. But he did say he'll give Obama a chance and see how he handles the General Election.

I've said all along that McCain is going to win. The problem is his own party hates him with over 40% of conservatives saying they don't support him.

I just hate everything. I'm so sick of the Primary season and burnt out. If I hear anything about the election on the new I turn it off. We've been so bombarded with campaigning that most can't stand it anymore.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 06/07/2008 22:27:08
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.