Inherently Random
 I miss the HP time so much
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wizard from Milan
Barmy

236 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  19:19:56  Show Profile Send Wizard from Milan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ALL!!

*waves to all around excitedly*

I miss the time of the speculations on HP so much. It was so nice to be able to run here and discuss the latest theories.

Just wanted to make sure you all knew (at least those who are still around).

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  07:50:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks WM!

Ever since JKR went nuts in court, being an HP fan has been something of a sombre proposition, but we still stick it out, us hard core nutters. Hope you can come and chat some time.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  17:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wiz!

I know what you mean. A few days ago I cleaned out my "favorites" file in Internet Explorer and deleted a bunch of HP links that I haven't visited in ages -- Accio Quote and the Lexicon, among others. Not because I don't like them, but because I never need to use them anymore. It made me so sad! Of course I kept HPG and Diagon Alley.

I hope all is well with you, Wiz, and that you don't become a stranger because we don't have HP to speculate about anymore. You know, I would probably like to discuss Book 7 a little more from a studious perspective, If we could do that without getting sidetracked. Maybe it's time to re-read it with a mind toward discussion and not disappointment. It's been nearly a year since it was released ... Maybe the time is right?
Go to Top of Page

Wizard from Milan
Barmy

236 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  07:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pesky,

I agree, I think that I have not digested DH enough yet. I think there are a few things left to uncover for me still, especially in terms of the broader perspective on the themes that DH gives to the septology.
I have actually just started to feel the hitch of maybe re-reading it, and I think I will sooner or later, maybe in a few weeks
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  11:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. I haven't even touched my copy since my first read through. If we can keep open minds, I'm all for it. It seemed we kept getting too bitter over DH when it was fresh. Perhaps it is time for a reread.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  10:41:51  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I, too, haven't reread DH except for a few sections to check out points people have made. I would be willing to start rereading this summer with the lure of a lively discussion here. I think the strengths and weaknesses will be fun to revisit and I might actually understand wand dominance this time through.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  13:00:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I'm hoping for too. I felt I read very carefully the first time through, but some things didn't make sense so I'm hoping they will fall into place if I re-read. Daughter wants to redo the whole series, but I don't know if I'm up for that. I want her to pick up the books herself, but she wants me to read them aloud again.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  17:16:51  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

That's what I'm hoping for too. I felt I read very carefully the first time through, but some things didn't make sense so I'm hoping they will fall into place if I re-read. Daughter wants to redo the whole series, but I don't know if I'm up for that. I want her to pick up the books herself, but she wants me to read them aloud again.

We did PS/SS as a read-aloud last Spring and I meant to go on with Chamber, which is actually one of my favorites of the books, but got derailed. And my almost 10 yod did finally grab the books herself and start reading. She's in GoF now and I figure she'll probably finish the series this summer. Maybe she can explain parts of DH to me.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2008 :  15:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've re-read DH two or three times now and I like it more each time. I find the camp-out a little more bearable when I know when and how it's going to end.

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

ImSirius
Giddy

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  00:18:15  Show Profile  Send ImSirius an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It's so weird to know that there won't be any more books....I am definitely missing the excitement in my life. Hi everyone! Just popped in to look around :). I hope you all are well.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  23:14:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I miss all the hubbub, too. I read fanfiction, but I don't know, I just can't pick up the last two to reread. I was going to reread the whole series last year, but only got through SS. Right now Jane Austen has my attention so maybe after that I will pick up and reread the series. But I've also been itching to reread the Anne series so HP might have to wait.

Of course, there is the 10th Anniversary Edition Scholastic is releasing. I don't know if I'm going to buy it or now.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 05/31/2008 23:15:04
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  23:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did it! I wasn't sure I would bother completing my UK set of the books. Found the last two in the same used book store in Victoria BC where I found my Order of the Phoenix copy so I bought them. Now I have both sets complete. I probably will not buy the 10th anniversary copy unless I can find it dirt cheap. Will definitely swipe the images off the internet, though.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  01:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I miss it too. I mean, on one hand I'm happy, I have a full life, I'm busy and I don't feel like there's a huge, gaping hole in my world or anything like that... but on the other, it was exciting looking forward to each time JKR published a new book - ir even a new hint or test! Also, I enjoyed having sudden flashes of brilliant (and ultimately incorrect) theories regarding the books or the characters. It was my hobby and it's gone. Kind of sucks.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  02:12:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leaky said there is new material in the book in addition to new artwork in the Anniversary edition. I consider it a collection now so I might get it for that reason. I still have to some day get the UK editions and complete my audio books.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  12:48:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New material??? Like deleted scenes? That would be cool. So perhaps I will buy an anniversary copy.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  22:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK. So the forbidden photos from HBP the Movie have whetted my appetite for more HP-- well Alan Rickman/Snape really. A little of the old enthusiasm is so nice.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  21:08:08  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

OK. So the forbidden photos from HBP the Movie have whetted my appetite for more HP-- well Alan Rickman/Snape really. A little of the old enthusiasm is so nice.

I can always work up enthusiasm for Snape and especially since they cast Rickman to play the part. It certainly makes the movies more fun. I wonder if Remus or Sirius fans were as happy with the casting for those parts--I certainly wouldn't be!

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  14:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just finished a complete reread of the series. I am still finding that i need to read DH again (I will do)- certain parts are only filling out now for me. I was never that unhappy with the book as others were - that's why I avoided a lot of the sites and this forum for a while as there was too much negativity for my liking.
I do miss the uncertainty and the speculation. I guess fanfic writers are writing less and less all the time and eventually it will fall off altogether.
Anyone know if sugarquill is ever going to pick up again?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2008 :  14:58:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed DH much more the second time around. It helped to have time to read it more carefully and digest it properly. Certain things I missed the first time, like how many times Fred's death was in fact mentioned and mourned after it happened, were much more evident when I wasn't rushing through to find out how the book ended.
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  21:29:35  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gimu
Anyone know if sugarquill is ever going to pick up again?

I hadn't even realized it had gone into sleep mode. I used to spend all my time reading over there in the early days of my fanfiction addiction. I would imagine, though, that since the site was so invested in canon as the basis of it's fanfiction that it would be one of the first to fall off after the completion of canon. I haven't really noticed a big drop in the production at the AU sites built around non-canonical pairings. Obviously, we can't have all the fun speculative Year 5 or Year 6 or Year 7 stories. But if you don't mind totally AU, there are still some really good stories being written.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.