Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fifth Floor....................Delusions of Fandom
 The Broken Bottle
 The Greatest Fan-Fics (aka Help me, I need a fix)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ichtys
Giddy

Denmark
22 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  09:38:07  Show Profile Send Ichtys a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys.
I would like to start a Fan-Fic recommendation topic. The biggest problem with Harry Potter fan-fics is that there are a lot of poor-quality stories, so I thought we could share our favorites in this thread.
I'll get back later with a selection of stories.
Please don't hesitate with posting some of the older fics, there is a good chance that someone would enjoy reading it.

Regards Ichtys
Sorry, I had to test if <spoiler></spoiler>worked on the darker background

Order of the Bookmark
Love ALL
Worship ONE

Edited by - Myf on 06/22/2006 18:03:27

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  10:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed the RJ Anderson series. She strays a bit from the characters as established, and Harry and his problems don't really feature in the stories as they are all about Snape and a neice of Mad-Eye's. There are some memorable moments at least.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Ichtys
Giddy

Denmark
22 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  10:37:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best WIP I'm currently reading is
Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past by Viridian.
This story is IMHO in the top 10% of Harry Potter Fan-fics, maybe even the top 5%
quote:
The official summary:
Thirteen years after leaving Hogwarts, Harry Potter finally destroys the last Horcrux and obliterates Voldemort, ending his reign of terror.

Too bad everyone Harry cares about is dead now.

A chance discovery sends... part of... Harry back into the past. No matter that Voldemort will be alive again - Harry is determined that this time, things will be different!

The story is currently at the end of Harry's second year, and with a word count on 234,466, it is promising to be a loong story.

Another story that is Absolutely Magnificent is Teatime in the Garden by LadyTonks. With a word count of only 3,292 there is no excuse for not reading this story. IMO this story is in the top 1% of Harry Potter Fanfics.
quote:
Summary
It was almost teatime. Teatime was their favorite time. Ginny hoped that Hermione and Ron wouldn't stay long. She knew that they meant well, but they just didn't understand about Harry. Not many people did.

Regards Ichtys

Order of the Bookmark
Love ALL
Worship ONE
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  10:53:11  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love getting good fanfic recommendations. Thanks, Ichtys. For anyone who is not a member of S.I.N.U.S. , I would recommend A Year Like None Other by Aspen in the Sunlight, archived at http://archive.skyehawke.com/authors.php?no=781

It is now finished at 96 chapters after taking 23 months to write. Since it was started pre-HBP, it is no longer canon-compliant. The story is an incredibly well-written Snape-adopts-Harry story--but Aspen manages to keep Snape, Harry, and Draco in-character even as they change--a pretty amazing feat for this kind of story.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  05:41:01  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have some recommendations, but I don't have links - you may have to do some searching.

Two Worlds and In Between (Minerva McTabby) is on fanfiction.net (I think) - about Voldie's grandad Julius Riddle attending Hogwarts in the same years as one young man called Albus Dumbledore. Brilliantly written, but now that we know about the Gaunts, a bit AU.

Bounce, by somebody on the SugarQuill - about Neville finding out that he wasn't a Squib. I love love love it.

I second the RJ Anderson series - good read.

There's also anything by Catsmeat on SQ - she writes interesting stuff, including wizards in Hong Kong.

Plus 'A Model' by Rugi (on SQ) - fascinating story about trying to piece together Sirius Black's life.

Um, everything by Suburban House Elf on the Sugar Quill - she's really funny (and lovely in real life!)

There's some fanfic writer called Theowyn around, but I dunno. *shrug* *

I'll come back and think of more.

* Kidding!

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  14:02:01  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myf
* Kidding!

After posting my recommendation above, I thought "I should have mentioned Theo's stuff," but then I assumed EVERYONE here at HPG already knew that her stuff is a must read!

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Ichtys
Giddy

Denmark
22 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  12:05:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hunting down links. RJ Anderson

I have added links in the quote from Myf, please correct me if some of them are wrong.
quote:
Originally posted by Myf

Two Worlds and In Between (Minerva McTabby) is on fanfiction.net (I think) - about Voldie's grandad Julius Riddle attending Hogwarts in the same years as one young man called Albus Dumbledore. Brilliantly written, but now that we know about the Gaunts, a bit AU.
Two worlds and In Between

Bounce, by somebody on the SugarQuill - about Neville finding out that he wasn't a Squib. I love love love it.
Bounce by Arborealis

I second the RJ Anderson series - good read.

There's also anything by Catsmeat on SQ - she writes interesting stuff, including wizards in Hong Kong.
Catmeat

Plus 'A Model' by Rugi (on SQ) - fascinating story about trying to piece together Sirius Black's life.
A Model by Rugi

Um, everything by Suburban House Elf on the Sugar Quill - she's really funny (and lovely in real life!)
Suburban House Elf

Theowyn
I'll come back and think of more.

* Kidding!

Regards Ichtys
edited to add Catmeat url

Order of the Bookmark
Love ALL
Worship ONE

Edited by - Ichtys on 06/23/2006 02:59:56
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  18:02:44  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that, Ichtys!

Actually, the other SQ is author is called Catmeat, and her library is here: http://www.sugarquill.net/index.php?action=profile&id=921

Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  18:44:52  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've almost finished Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past. It started off well but has kinda fallen into the trap of equating quantity with quality. Nothing much has happened in the second book.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  19:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sunsethill

... For anyone who is not a member of S.I.N.U.S. , I would recommend A Year Like None Other by Aspen in the Sunlight...

SH, S.I.N.U.S. members can be perfectly tolerant of "Good Snape" in fanfic - because it is, after all, fanon not canon. I haven't ever objected to Theo!Snape, even though I don't think he much resembles HP!Snape - it's the author's world after all. And I think I've been positively noble in refraining from remarking on the similarity between Snape and Harry's tense yet increasingly intimate relationship in HPCS with common Snape/Harry fanfics. I don't think Theo's heading in that direction... but again, it's the fanfic's author's choice what to do with their characters!

Anyone have some really good bad/funny fanfics? As in "so bad it's good"?

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  22:08:15  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Isn't that what pottersues on livejournal is for, AMC?
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  23:06:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't checked it out, Ben - I've tried some of McTabby's Summary Executions but they are Sooo bad.. it's a fine balance, you know.

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  04:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
... And I think I've been positively noble in refraining from remarking on the similarity between Snape and Harry's tense yet increasingly intimate relationship in HPCS with common Snape/Harry fanfics. I don't think Theo's heading in that direction... but again, it's the fanfic's author's choice what to do with their characters!

Lol! You naughty girl! Actually, Myf danced around that same question back when I was writing HPEW because yes, my Snape and Harry have an intensely intimate relationship. However, intimacy doesn't have to be physical or romantic - something I truly wish more authors would understand. In fact IMO, it's far more interesting when it's not. Besides, Harry is obviously attracted to girls and there are strong hints in canon that Snape is too, so anything other than a platonic relationship is out.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Ichtys
Giddy

Denmark
22 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  04:31:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrBen

I've almost finished Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past. It started off well but has kinda fallen into the trap of equating quantity with quality. Nothing much has happened in the second book.

Some minor spoilers below.
I'll admit that second year was significantly longer than the first year, but I think it was the same with PS and CoS. If you cut most of the introduction JKR made in PS, you only have a very slim book left. Add to this that Matthew (the author of NoFP) actually eliminated most of PS's plotline with Harry's foreknowledge.
In second year Matthew is starting to really change the plotline, and this can result in a slower development of the plot. The way Matthew repeats Harry's speculation about his friends capability with Occlumnency is perhaps unnecessary. In second year Matthew also introduces a new enemy in Hogwarts which also adds to the lenght of the year.
A lot of different things happen in second year, but I don't feel like the story is dragging on. (IMO it is a bit like OotP, where a lot of information had to be revealed, making the book very long)

As for "nothing much has happened in second year": Spoiler alert!
Harry has left the Dursleys, been adopted by the Weasleys, taken contact to Sirius and Remus, saved Sirius from wizards (DE) trying to catch him, Harry is training his friends in Occlumency and martial arts, Cho Chang went to St. Mungo's (part of hidden plot?), a secret agent is revealed inside Hogwarts.
Major chapter 27 spoilers below!!

Harry is unconscious for more than a month, he has to revisit the chamber and kill the basilisk without the help of Fawkes. In the end Draco is expelled from the School, and Snape is taking a leave "to pursue opportunities abroad"

In Third year the "original timeline" will fade in importance, which I guess will make the story more interesting
Regards Ichtys

Order of the Bookmark
Love ALL
Worship ONE
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  08:34:45  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrBen

Isn't that what pottersues on livejournal is for, AMC?

Actually, didn't Pottersues get TOSsed from LJ? That's what I heard. (I left the comm a little while ago - there's a limit to the number of pathetic fanfics I can deal with in my lifetime.)

*snort*, AMC! Next you'll be thinking Snape will be intimate with

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  11:03:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only if they start staring into each other's eyes and having tense, whispered conversations at odd hours of the night...

+=[xo][xo][xo]?

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  11:04:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't help posting this even if I get modded : (highlight)

hmmmm... tentacles

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  13:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

I haven't checked it out, Ben - I've tried some of McTabby's Summary Executions but they are Sooo bad.. it's a fine balance, you know.

I agree. Plus I always felt bad for the people getting slammed on. I like fics better that are intentionally meant to be outrageous, and written by people with good dry senses of humor. I can think of a couple. But I'd have to PM you the links because they're not 'family friendly'.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  13:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm - PM away!

Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  18:37:25  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC
SH, S.I.N.U.S. members can be perfectly tolerant of "Good Snape" in fanfic - because it is, after all, fanon not canon. I haven't ever objected to Theo!Snape, even though I don't think he much resembles HP!Snape - it's the author's world after all.

I suppose I posted the warning because I prefer to read fanfic where the characterization is relatively close to canon, especially in the major characters. But even I will read a very non-canonical story if it is creative enough. So I guess S.I.N.U.S. members can just decide that Aspen in the Sunlight is writing about Snape's twin brother or something!

(And I must admit that your abbreviation of my name makes me smile, AMC, because I always think "Sherlock Holmes" and he was my first true literary love! )

quote:
Actually, Myf danced around that same question back when I was writing HPEW because yes, my Snape and Harry have an intensely intimate relationship. However, intimacy doesn't have to be physical or romantic - something I truly wish more authors would understand. In fact IMO, it's far more interesting when it's not. Besides, Harry is obviously attracted to girls and there are strong hints in canon that Snape is too, so anything other than a platonic relationship is out.

I agree completely, Theo. I sometimes wonder what has happened to our society that the word "relationship" now means ONLY a romantic, physical relationship. And I must admit that I am curious as to your canon support for Snape's romantic preferences. Maybe on another thread, though?

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  22:41:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sunsethill

And I must admit that I am curious as to your canon support for Snape's romantic preferences.

It's the total lack of manscaping, SH. Everyone knows that it's only straight guys who are hopeless when it comes to hygiene and clueless about what constitutes attractive underwear.

My sister adored Conan Doyle! I keep meaning to read some - I've always been a Dorothy Sayers, Agatha Christie and Ngaio Marsh kind of detective-story reader.

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  01:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put me down firmly in the Conan Doyle camp. I adore Holmes and read the entire canon straight through in 2 weeks when I was 14.

>> And I must admit that I am curious as to your canon support for Snape's romantic preferences. <<
It's the subtle ambiance suggesting that he was very likely taken with Lily.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  14:42:54  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC
My sister adored Conan Doyle! I keep meaning to read some - I've always been a Dorothy Sayers, Agatha Christie and Ngaio Marsh kind of detective-story reader.

If you like Sayer, Christie, and Marsh, you should at least find Conan Doyle a fun read, even if you don't fall in love with Holmes.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Joyful
Giddy

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  23:33:49  Show Profile  Visit Joyful's Homepage  Click to see Joyful's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC
Anyone have some really good bad/funny fanfics? As in "so bad it's good"?

SweetPea and I created http://gelderstien.livejournal.com/profile for something like this. We did get the idea from pottersues, but we are a bit different at the same time. Soem of the ones we've done are horrible. They have us doing this [dead]

Order of the Bookmark
Do you know that everytime you're near, everybody else seems far away?
So can you come and make them disappear?
Go to Top of Page

U-No-Poo
Addled

133 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  18:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a request. Does anybody know a good and, if possible, funny fanfic about Albus Dumbledore as a student? I love theorizing about what he would have been like. I wonder if JKR will really write a book about Dumbledore, like she told Emmerson and Mellisa; that would be Heaven.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  21:03:06  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The one I posted about on the first page, Two Worlds and In Between, is about DD as a student - not really about him, and nothing from his perspective, though.

I'm not sure of anything else...

Go to Top of Page

Lesley
Giddy

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  06:40:01  Show Profile  Visit Lesley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not about Dumbledore, but...

Something Stupid
or: The Idiot's Guide to Ron/Hermione Shipping

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1080719/1/

I just remembered that one. Haven't read it in ages, but it was my favourite Ron/Hermione story back then. I might just start reading it again...

You said "It's time to do some bleeding...time to cry the past away."
~ Richard Ashcroft
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  21:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a staunch R/H shipper, so I never thought I'd love a fanfic with Hermione paired with someone else. But I'm loving modestyrabnott's fic "Hesitation" posted at Simply Undeniable. She's paired with Gus Pye, who is actually a canon character and mentioned very briefly in OotP when Mr. Weasley is hurt. Eventually, I guess the author is going to make it Ron/Hermione, but I'm really hoping she doesn't because I just love Gus so much. Wonderful story, I just wished she updated more often. I hate when you get into a story and it's a month between updates.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  02:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Link, Jo? I'm too lazy to search and I really don't know my way about fanfic sites.

Go to Top of Page

Ichtys
Giddy

Denmark
22 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  03:01:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

...But I'm loving modestyrabnott's fic "Hesitation" posted at Simply Undeniable.

Link for those interested:
Hesitation
Ichtys

Order of the Bookmark
Love ALL
Worship ONE
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  11:38:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the posting the link, Ichtys.

You have to register because it's in the restricted section, but it's a great story. It was originally at Checkmated.com but the author took it off that site and moved it to SimplyUndeniable.com.

Why are more authors taking their fics down at Checkmated? I've noticed it slowly starting to happen more and more lately and they're moving them to Simply Undeniable. Is Checkmated getting too strict with they're guidelines? I've also noticed they're getting slower and slower with updates.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.