Earth hour?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  19:50:50  Show Profile Send Siobhan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did anyone participate in Earth Hour?

I missed it.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  20:30:59  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, obviously I don't keep up with the newest and latest because I didn't even know there was one. Have the ecological powers that be decided that a day is too long?

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  10:26:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By way of explaination, this was posted by a Canadian member on another board I visit.
quote:
Earth Hour 2008.

Regardless of where you are, Earth Hour will be tomorrow, March 29 at 8:00p.m. We are asking you to turn off your lights and electrical stuff during that time and just hang out together for one hour, electricity free.

The point is to raise awareness of the issues that are challenging our planet, environmentally speaking, and exacerbating climate change.

Many cities throughout the world will be actively supporting Earth Hour, including our Toronto, here not far from me. My town will be shutting its lights as well.

Please consider participating in this within your own homes - its cheap, easy and will bring your family members together. Maybe take the time to talk about why you're doing it.....or what you'd be willing to give up to save energy and protect our earth.

I would have participated, but I didn't see the message until it was too late. I wonder if people unplugged their refrigerators and freezers, too?

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  23:12:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We did it! No, just our lights - it was symbolic, for the most part.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  00:34:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot about it! We couldn't turn off everything electric in the house because of the furnace and my dad's oxygen machine, but we were planning on turning out our lights.

We do have all those spiral bulbs that everyone is harping on about saving electricity and our bill has actually gone down, but I just read an article about how it's hazardous if you break one because they contain Mercury and other toxic chemicals. You're supposed to take them to a special recycling center because they're toxic if broken and horrible for land fills, but there is no recylcing center in my region. So do you buy the bulbs that burn more electricity and are safe for landfills, or the ones that save a lot of electricity but potentially toxic. A dilema indeed.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  01:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mom jumped on to the efficiency bandwagon pretty early so we started using the spiral bulbs years ago. But then my mom found out about the toxicity of the bulbs so now uses even more efficient bulbs that are better for the environment... but take about five minutes to warm up. My mom replaced all the bulbs in my room at home with them while I was at school in the fall, which drove me crazy when I was home for Christmas.

Do they have the "Flick Off" campaign in other countries? It's a campaign to promote doing little, easy things like remembering to turn off (flick off) your lights, etc. It's probably best known because the font they use makes the L and I look like a U so you can't help but do a double-take the first time you see it in an ad.

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  10:06:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never heard of the Flick Off campaign. I must admit that turning off the lights wasn't what I thought when I read the name, though. If they used a font like that around here, there would be so much negative publicity from those without a sense of humor that it wouldn't work.

I've seen LED light bulbs are on the way. They would be a better option for me. I've always hated flourescent bulbs (of any kind-- straight or kinky). They give me headaches because I can see the light flickering. I also dislike the colour of the light they produce. LED's don't put out heat, last nearly forever, and give more light for the penny. I have found nightlight bulb replacements in a catalogue and am planning to try them. We'll see how they work out.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.