Castro retires
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  10:08:09  Show Profile Send Siobhan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just saw on Google news that Fidel Castro has announced his retirement. I've not read the article yet, so I don't know the details. I was just surprised to see it in the headlines when I opened IE today.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  23:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know - I'm sure I should be more het up about it than I am. My parents visited Cuba a few dacades ago with a professional organization and their perspective was that although he gets a bad rap in the U.S. media and politicians, Castro's done a lot of good in Cuba. It's a much better nation to live in for the poor than its neighbors. I'm thinking this "passing of the torch" to his brother allows Cuba to normalize relations with the US without The US losing face, so I hope it's a good thing.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  04:57:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Things won't change in Cuba until Castro's long dead. He maintained his one-man rule for decades on his charisma alone. Only after the mystique has worn off will the Cuban people start to think of democracy.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  11:14:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I understand it, his brother will most likely be taking over-- and he is not much different.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  19:22:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, possibly I'm very un-American in that regard - I don't think "democracy" is the sole measure of the value of a government. Our major trading partner these days is completely repressive and undemocratic but you don't see our politicians demanding that China must change to a democracy or we won't trade with them. The whole business of "Cuba must have democracy" is a crock of crap formulated to justify an embargo suported by ex-pat wealthy Cubans who lost their Cuban holdings when Castro took over. We've been pals with MUCH more repressive regimes over the years, there's no real excuse for the accusations of villainy heaped upon Catro's head - he's certainly no worse than most dictators and has been better than many, as far as I can tell.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Edited by - AMC on 02/20/2008 19:22:48
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  19:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with AMC, I see no reason why we're not trading partners with Cuba. I've always thought it a double standard when we have such a trading relationship with China. I just never understood America's stance with Cuba. I've had it explained and studied it in Economics, but I still don't agree with it.

Just think how different the world would be today if major league baseball had made some different decisions. Fidel Castro's dream was to be a baseball player but the major leagues wouldn't take him. George Bush wanted to be MLB Commissioner and when he didn't get it he went into politics and ran for governor of Texas and then President. Just a thought as we go into spring training.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 02/20/2008 19:40:03
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  22:42:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with AMC and Jokelly. There is a double standard with regards to the trading controversy with Cuba.
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  03:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a total double standard. The US hates Castro because he beat them, and no one in Latin America is supposed to do that. We traded quite happily with Fulgencio Batista, and he was far worse than Castro. We even traded with Castro for a while. But then he nationalised all the US-owned industries, and we cut off all trade. Next thing you know, he's cozying up to the Russians and calling himself a Communist. We tried to overthrow him and assassinate him, like we do with every Latin American dictator who doesn't play by our rules (see Salvador Allende, Manuel Noriega, the Sandanistas, even, to a certain degree, Hugo Chavez), and he made a fool of us. The very fact that he is able to retire at all is a reminder to America of its impotence.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.