Pottercast with JKR transcript
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  18:21:36  Show Profile Send Siobhan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leaky has a transcript of the Pottercast with JKR here:

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/2008/1/2/pottercast-131-j-k-rowling-interview-transcript

A sample for all of us who wanted to know about the room in the DoM:
quote:
SU: Well, we have a lot of questions still for you, Jo. Like stuff about that mysterious Department of Mysteries. Can you tell us what was in the Love room? (MA: Oh yeah.) I meanÖ

MA: (laughs) Weíll just call it the Love room.

JKR: (laughs) What was that mysterious room we donít know what it was in- the Love room? Yes, it was theÖ

SU: Yeah. (All laugh) Thank you. (JKR: WellÖ) See, I told you, Iím in Hufflepuff, you know Iím notÖ

JKR: No, no, no, I think whatís in the Love room, itís the place where they study what love means. So that room, I believe, would have at its center a kind of fountain or well containing a love potion, a very powerful love potion. You know that the first time they ever enter Slughornís Potions (SU: Yes.) class, and he starts talking about Amortentia, the love potion, and he says itís the most dangerous one in the room, well, thatís what they would have found in the Love room.
There's lots more to that particular comment so do go read. She also goes into what and when she told AR what Snape's story was.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  18:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On wandlore:
quote:
MA: Quite a lot. But wandlore. Can you go into in a more detailed fashion the way wands change hands, and how different the Elder Wand is? Because the fans are confused.

JKR: I am going to put up another update on my website about this, and I have one half-written. Essentially, I see wands as being quasi-sentient. I think they awaken to a kind of- Theyíre not exactly animate, but theyíre close to it, as close to it as you can get in an object, because they carry so much magic. So thatís really the key point about a wand. Now, the reactions will vary from wand to wand. The Elder Wand is simply the most dispassionate and ruthless of wands, in that it will only take into consideration strength. So one will expect a certain amount of loyalty from oneís wand. So even if you were disarmed while carrying it, even if you lost a fight while carrying it, it has developed an affinity with you that it will not give up easily. If, however, a wand is won, properly won in an adult duel, then a wand may switch allegiance, and it will certainly work better, even if it hasnít fully switched allegiance, for the person who won it. So that, of course, is what happens when Harry takes Dracoís wand from him. And thatís what happens when- But you know what I mean? (MA: Mm-hm.) (SU: Yeah.) Oh yeah, Ron, (MA: Yeah.) the Blackthorn wand, from the snatcher. So that would be sort of rough and ready, common or garden, a wand favoring the person who had the skill to take it, it would favor them. However, the Elder Wand knows no loyalty except strength, so itís completely unsentimental. It will only go where the power is. So if you win, then youíve won the wand. So you donít need to kill with it, but as itís pointed out in the books, not least by Dumbledore, because it is a wand of such immense power, almost inevitably, it attracts wizards who are prepared to kill, and who will kill. And also, it attracts wizards like Voldemort who confuse being prepared to murder with strength. (JN: Interesting.) Does that clarify anything?

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  18:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so happy Jo mentioned that more Slytherins came back with Slughorn for the battle. That's how I imagined it - the Slytherins didn't all leave because they're all rotten, but because they're not foolhardy. They were simply being sensible.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.