A Very Harry Christmas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  16:18:41  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage Send sunsethill a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, is anyone in the mood to reminise about favorite HP Christmas scenes, books or movies?

The thing that illustrates Rowling's perverse sense of humor the most, I think, and also illustrates just how petty the Dursleys are would be the things they send Harry for Christmas. Let's see... one year it was a used tissue, and another it was paper clips or something wasn't it? It seems like we stopped hearing about the Dursley presents after the fourth book. Am I remembering that correctly?

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  10:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about those horrible socks? The ones Harry muted his sneakoscope in-- or were they Christmas presents? Probably too nice for a gift.

I loved Dobby's gifts. The mismatched socks with snitches and broomsticks (?) were wonderful. Interesting how many times socks and handknits featured in the books.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  15:54:08  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan
I loved Dobby's gifts. The mismatched socks with snitches and broomsticks (?) were wonderful. Interesting how many times socks and handknits featured in the books.

Yes. Is Jo a knitter, or a wanna be?

I also remember the Christmas where Dumbledore tries to get Snape to wear a silly hat that comes out of a Christmas cracker.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  21:57:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know if she knits. Good question, though.
Yeah the hat was like Neville's Gran's-- no wonder Snape shoved it off on Dumbledore.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  15:04:31  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, I had forgotten it was like Neville's gran's hat. Poor Severus.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  17:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To make matters worse, no one had forgotten that fateful DADA lesson.

If it's the thought that counts, then the Dursley's made their feelings abundantly and unnecessarily clear. Why bother sending Harry anything at all if all they could muster was a used tissue? What small minded people.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  13:08:58  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also got chuckled internally recently remembering the Polyjuice scene in the CoS movie with Tom Felton's wonderful improvising. At least I think I remember hearing at the time that his line "I didn't know you could read," was improvised. And that his stealing the present was also an improvisation. I am really looking forward to his part of the sixth movie.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  14:24:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also immediately thought about the christmas party in PoA. I like the scne with Dumbledore and Snape, but I love the conversation between McGonagall and Trelawney even more.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  19:41:56  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn8

I also immediately thought about the christmas party in PoA. I like the scne with Dumbledore and Snape, but I love the conversation between McGonagall and Trelawney even more.

McGonagall/Trelawney conversations are always hilarious. I must admit that one of my favorite mental pictures from DH is Trewlawny in the Last Battle bonking Death Eaters on the head with her crystal balls. It makes all the rest easier to take. I bet Emma Thompson is cackling merrily about being able to enact that scene in the last movie.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

U-No-Poo
Addled

133 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  20:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harry (almost) Christmas, everyone!
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

To make matters worse, no one had forgotten that fateful DADA lesson.

If it's the thought that counts, then the Dursley's made their feelings abundantly and unnecessarily clear. Why bother sending Harry anything at all if all they could muster was a used tissue? What small minded people.

It is my honest belief that this is down to Hedwig pestering the Dursley's for a present for Harry each Christmas. The Dursleys would just wrap up and hand over to the bird the first thing they could find to avoid being pecked :)

My favourite HP Christmas was in the Philosopher's Stone. Harry's disbelief at getting Christmas gifts, the invisibility cloak and the Mirror of Erised, one of the most beautiful and evocative scenes in the books. I still get a lump in my throat just thinking about it.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  20:36:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Dursleys would just wrap up and hand over to the bird the first thing they could find to avoid being pecked :)
And get rid of the pesky bird before the neighbors noticed!

I must admit that my favourite scenes in the movies have always been the Christmases.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  17:50:23  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by U-No-Poo
It is my honest belief that this is down to Hedwig pestering the Dursley's for a present for Harry each Christmas. The Dursleys would just wrap up and hand over to the bird the first thing they could find to avoid being pecked :)

I can see that, U! That's exactly what Hedwig would do and how the Dursleys would respond. You have now solved a major HP mystery for me.

I don't usually get "Christmas" sentimental, but for some reason this year, I am enjoying "Christmas" stories and Harry's wonder at Christmas in the magical world fits right in.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  05:22:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll decorate our christmas tree in Gryffindor colours this year. I bought red-green-golden tartan christmas baubles and on christmas Day the whole family will watch PoA on TV.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2007 :  14:49:19  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn8

I'll decorate our christmas tree in Gryffindor colours this year. I bought red-green-golden tartan christmas baubles and on christmas Day the whole family will watch PoA on TV.

Sounds lovely. One of our funniest Christmas memories was the year a couple of our young children were sick, so my husband sat around all day and watched "Christmas with the Apes." TBS was showing ALL the Planet of the Apes movies back to back. The eight-year-old boy had a fever and we didn't know it at the time, but the fever made the movies feel really weird and creepy to him. What a Christmas memory!

POA is a much more festive way to spend the afternoon. My now teenaged and early-20's boys thought they were going to watch all the Lord of the Rings movies today, but decided that would be just TOO long in front of the TV.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.