Hey HP Fans! It's Bonfire Night!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  09:41:53  Show Profile Send diricawl a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You see, a while back this religious fundamentalist dude decided that his country was persecuting his faith. So he went overseas, faught for God a while, then, upon his return, formed a cell of terrorists that almost, but not quite, managed to blow up a major public building.

Of course this was 402 years ago, and I was talking about Catholics and Protestants, not Muslims and Americans, but the issues are pretty much the same.

In another strange echo of the modern world, the Puritans in charge of Cromwell's England managed to ban Halloween as pagan and devil-worshipping, and decided little kiddles would all be better off if, instead, they got together to burn this guy in effigy while chanting death chants. You know, to boost public spirit and all.

That worked for a while, but then people started complaining about public safety and so it got harder and harder to hold a decent burning, and now, thanks to US cultural hegemony, Halloween has made its way back to our shores, and I see more trick-or-treaters every year.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  10:16:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Diri - really, all our major Holidays have ancient pagan roots - you can take the humans out of the forest but you can't take our ancient tree-worshipping superstitions away! Happy Bonfire Day! Go burn something that won't catch something else on fire.

Who exactly did Guy Fawkes betray anyway? Cromwell? I had no idea he was such a good guy.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  10:25:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Guy Fawkes Day!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  11:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diri, that post made my day!

"Remember remember the fifth of November!"

I'm surprised we haven't come up with something similar for 9/11. Perhaps it's too soon. We still hear "9/11" on a near daily basis.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  11:23:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

Hey Diri - really, all our major Holidays have ancient pagan roots - you can take the humans out of the forest but you can't take our ancient tree-worshipping superstitions away! Happy Bonfire Day! Go burn something that won't catch something else on fire.

Hence the irony of replacing one pagan tradition with another one that is arguably even more disturbing.

I've always wanted to tell a fundie campaigning against Halloween what a Christmas tree originally was, but I haven't had the chance.

quote:
Who exactly did Guy Fawkes betray anyway? Cromwell? I had no idea he was such a good guy.

He tried to kill James I (he of the King James Bible). Another irony is that Cromwell actually overthrew and beheaded James's son, so one wonders if the pot is somewhat calling the kettle black.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 11/05/2007 11:25:57
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  13:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the Guy was Catholic? Is that why the effigy is not always of Guy?

See, if I were to be thorough about it, I would go look these things up myself. Mad-Eye was looking last night-- he suddenly asked if Monday was Guy Fawkes Day and I repeated the rhyme-- so he Googled and found a site. I didn't actually look at it myself as I was winding wool at the time.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  15:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep. Guy was Catholic. That's why little kids give him the heretic's death. Of course, the Puritans don't control England anymore, so the reasoning behind the burning of the Guy is a bit fuzzier these days, about nationalism and giving thanks to the government and somesuch. But really that's what it's about.

quote:
Cold is God's way of telling us to burn more Catholics!

Lady Whiteadder.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 11/05/2007 15:25:25
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  15:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I've just been hearing about your [Witchsmeller Pursuviant] work in Taunton. Imagine that - every single person in the village having an affair with the same duck."

Edmund Blackadder, Duke of Edinburgh

Sorry, couldn't resist (so I didn't).

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

SweetPea
Addled

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  16:32:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Guy Fawkes!

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  11:34:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl

quote:
Cold is God's way of telling us to burn more Catholics!

Lady Whiteadder.

So, were there any bonfires near you, diri? There used always be some on Halloween night when I was a kid (though minus the Catholic effigies - wonder why? ), but I never really hear of any these days, presumably due to stricter safety regulations.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  13:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
same here. Nowadays towns and boroughs have to hold big burnings on specific dates, spread out over the end of October to the middle of November, so the health and safety people don't have to deal with everything on Nov 5. All very rational but takes all the juicy pagan barbarism out of the day, you know?

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  14:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have big bonfires during the Easter Holidays. Everything is strictly regulated. Each community is assigned a special day when they are allowed to have a bonfire.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  21:48:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing like strictly regulated spontanaeity!!!
No wonder so many people are into extreme sports.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.