Beedle the Bard Auction Copy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  12:35:58  Show Profile Send Siobhan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found this through Google news this afternoon.
http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSL0117459520071101
JKR is going to auction off a handwritten copy of "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" for her Children's Voice charity. She wrote 7 copies, 6 of which have been given to individuals. There will be no copywrite transfers or publication rights. Sotheby's hopes to raise about a $100,000.

Also mentioned is a half finished book for children that may be the next published work by JKR.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  22:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...just from the comments at Leaky, a lot of fans are p****ed off at this. Realistically, she would have made much more money for charity had she published the books for the public at large. Many are feeling like since she's now rich that only other rich people get to belong to her exclusive HP inner circle. Will she ever publish a copy for the general public? Who knows. I suspect if it's very short then it may be included in her future "Encyclopedia" or other works. Who knows?

What I do know though is that I can't afford it so I'm not going to worry about getting a copy or seeing what's in it. I'd much rather have a copy of Hogwarts, A History than anything else.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  13:15:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The level of entitlement of HP fans astonishes me. Who tells Steven King what he can and can't do with his copyrighted works? How many people feel they have a right to criticize Norman Mailer for his publishing approach? When was the last time anyone told Johanna Lindsey or Nora Roberts that they should have released information about their characters differently? This is so absurd - people think they own JKR. They don't. And TG for that.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  13:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a bit odd though; if she'd released the edition for mass publication, it would have generated, at the very least, fifty million dollars for charity. This method will raise, at most, a half a million. I have to wonder why she chose a method of publication that would be guaranteed to raise the least amount of money possible.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  19:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if it would sell all that well or make that much money - "Fantastic Beasts" is priced at $13 and the royalities are at most a couple of dollars a book. A lot of HP fans wouldn't "have to" have it the way they had to have Book 7. It's probably a pretty small book, since she's put it out so quickly. I think she probably wanted to create something special and this was her little project. I can't imagine her main desire was to raise money for charity, that seems like an add-on. Now publishing "Hogwarts, A History" would probably make mucho dinero. And that may be one more reason she doesn't want the hard-copy of the Lexicon out there... eliminating the competition.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  21:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The way I understood it, the book came from a desire to thank her longtime/closest friends and HP associates. She had six in mind, but decided the number made had to be seven (a magic number). The seventh copy is the one to be auctioned. Therefore, the auction is just an added perk, not the point of having produced the tales in the first place. The whole thing was a generous offer, not meant as a slighting of her fans.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  14:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And she is going to write and publish the encyclopedia for charity. I don't that people can complain JKR is not doing enough for charity. But just because she writes something she doesnÄt have to publish it to a large audience. Some things are very special and I understand that she wants to keep them among her closest friends.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  15:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

The level of entitlement of HP fans astonishes me. Who tells Steven King what he can and can't do with his copyrighted works? How many people feel they have a right to criticize Norman Mailer for his publishing approach? When was the last time anyone told Johanna Lindsey or Nora Roberts that they should have released information about their characters differently? This is so absurd - people think they own JKR. They don't. And TG for that.

Ah, but just as the fans don't own JKR, neither does she own them. It may be presumptuous for them to complain about her auctioning off her book, but it's equally presumptuous to suggest that they should just shut up and go away.

JKR's difficulty is that, unlike Steven King, Norman Mailer, Nora Roberts and the rest, she is a celebrity. It's one thing to do book-signings or an occasional interview on the Tonight Show. It's another to do question and answer sessions with crowds of fans and maintain your own website. She's crossed the line from being a private person who happens to be a successful author to being a public personality. And as every celebrity knows, the downside to that is that the public is entitled to voice their opinions about you.

Complaining about JKR is no different than gossiping over Britany Spears. We may or may not agree with what the majority of people are saying, but they have every right to say it. And I doubt that JKR is fussed. She knows firsthand from Harry all about the downside of celebrity, so she certainly knew what she was getting into.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  01:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First off - you're saying Steven King is NOT a celebrity??? I'm kind of stunned.

Second - what the hell does maintaining a website have to do with the price of eggs? Everyone and their mother has a website.

So JKR has interacted with fans - that's lovely of her, the fans wanted it. Yes, every celebrity is an open target for attention and criticism... and every person who publishes an opinion in a public place can have that opinion criticized as well. My personal opinion is that many people are being completely absurd in their reaction to this.

Incidentally, I don't gossip about Britany Spears either - and I can't imagine why anyone would waste their time doing so. There has to be something more interesting in this world to get excited about.

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  11:51:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're entitled to your opinion, AMC and they are entitled to their's. That's the whole point. I don't gossip about Britany Spears either, but plenty of people do and she gets the attention of the media as does JKR in a way that I don't believe Steven King ever has. Are people being absurd in their reactions to JKR? Sure. But it's just as absurd to criticize them for criticizing her. As you say, there has to be something more interesting in this world to get excited about.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

SweetPea
Addled

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  21:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So... The book was auctioned for 2 million pounds.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  10:49:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And we'll never know the stories.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  12:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sold at 40 times the predicted price. :)

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  13:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_6059972_2?ie=UTF8&docId=1000179911&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-0&pf_rd_r=0CJQZWD2Q73NSD9G6GJ2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=340739801&pf_rd_i=507846

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  13:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow - well, it's a bit strange to have to share reviews only - I wish they could just publish images of the book, but I'd assume that's copyright infringement? But I love seeing the book.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  13:59:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that was part of the deal-- no publication rights or copyright transfers. I'm not sure if they couldn't just paraphrase the stories, or tell us what they are about, but it is nice that Amazon is sharing as much as they are. An individual could have purchased and kept the entire thing to themselves. Then again, Amazon is driving traffic to their site....

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  19:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I believe this could very well be the ultimate "loss leader"

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  00:09:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw people complaining about not being able to read the book but - hey, it's better than it dissapearing into someone's private vault.

Go to Top of Page

U-No-Poo
Addled

133 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  21:05:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just read those Beedle reviews. I think it's brilliant that we at least get to find out what the stories are about. I was grinning from ear to ear whilst reading those. I was so in HP-land again.
I thought you might be interested in some of the images from the site as well as some scans I made a while back of some of the artwork of Beedle the Bard from various youtube videos. If any of you know where I can download the videos in avi format or something it would be great, and I could make some better scans. And traitorous=treacherous.

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

SweetPea
Addled

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  00:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the fact that they are holding it with white gloves. It gives me chills.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.