Hate Mail over Dumbledore
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  10:34:49  Show Profile Send Siobhan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This article made it to Google news today.

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,146336,00.html

I can only say that the woman who claims the books encourage homosexuality does not understand the difference between the encouraging and tollerating. Then again, tolleration does not seem to fit into her life anyways. How sad.

I would hope that no one here is ditching their books over this.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  14:34:09  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As an antidote to the "nutty Christian" who is always quoted in the media in relation to Harry Potter, I thought I would post a link to John Granger's take on the "Dumbledore is gay" media feeding frenzy. I find it interesting that both he and the eye witness who was actually there when the information was given feel that Rowling was "Skeetered" to some degree by reporters who enjoy creating "culture war" battles.

http://hogwartsprofessor.com/?p=198

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  15:13:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! Thank you sunsethill! I'm engaged in a battle over on Wikipedia about finding decent religious quotes to balance the Christian Coalition about this. You may have just saved my butt. If you can find any more, I'd appreciate it.

Still, Granger's views aren't that liberal are they? I mean, he's basically saying that homosexuality is evil, just in a nicer way.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 10/31/2007 16:51:14
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  19:37:21  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl

Yes! Thank you sunsethill! I'm engaged in a battle over on Wikipedia about finding decent religious quotes to balance the Christian Coalition about this. You may have just saved my butt. If you can find any more, I'd appreciate it.

Still, Granger's views aren't that liberal are they? I mean, he's basically saying that homosexuality is evil, just in a nicer way.

But that is the point. Granger isn't a liberal Christian. He's a fairly conservative Christian who appreciates Rowling and her writing, recognizes that Rowling disagrees with him in this area, and is willing to disagree in a kind way without attacking her personally. He also points out quite fairly that the media love to stir the pot on the "culture war" issues, but almost completely failed to write stories on Rowling's comments on the religious themes in her books. Because that wouldn't bring out the loonies!

Sword of Gryffindor, Diri, is another site that is run by Christians who appreciate Rowling and other fantasy literature. There were several threads on the Dumbledore "outing" but I think this may be the main one:
http://swordofgryffindor.com/2007/10/21/dumbledore-is-gay-welcome-to-the-culture-war/#more-531

I hope that helps some more.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  07:07:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_debates_over_the_Harry_Potter_series

I've been walking on a knife-edge since this article was created, trying to maintain a neutral point of view. It's been hard, particularly because some people seem to think that unless I can somehow get inside the minds of absolutely every religious person on the planet to determine his or her individual position on the Harry Potter series, this article cannot be neutral. I'd be interested to know what you think.

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 11/01/2007 07:08:26
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  11:21:39  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_debates_over_the_Harry_Potter_series

I've been walking on a knife-edge since this article was created, trying to maintain a neutral point of view. It's been hard, particularly because some people seem to think that unless I can somehow get inside the minds of absolutely every religious person on the planet to determine his or her individual position on the Harry Potter series, this article cannot be neutral. I'd be interested to know what you think.

Diri, I think you have done an absolutely marvelous piece of work on that article. Given that each person has their own particular point of view, I would say that you were supremely fair in your presentation of the various points of view. It seems to me that you even did a good job of picking the less inflammatory quotes while still presenting the opinions fairly. The problem is that so many people don't understand that one can present a viewpoint fairly without subscribing to it.

One of your last points in the article is very important. So many American fundamentalist Christians have no understanding of history or literary form. I am very definitely a conservative Christian, but my faith tradition is the Reformed one, and I see the same problems in the fundamentalist lack of recognition that some parts of Scripture are poetry or symbolic. This tendency is the reason they believe that Rowling is actually promoting witchcraft, because she uses the word "witch".

I think anyone who understands academic essay writing will recognize the care you have taken to be evenhanded in your treatment of the subject, Diri. I personally appreciate that you exposed readers to the fact that not all Christians are literarily ignorant. But it will be impossible to please everyone on such a heated subject.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  13:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's nice to know that I have the endorsement of at least one rational conservative Christian. I don't think it's going to count too much with the officious, pedantic wanker I'm currently at war with, but it lifts my spirits just a little.

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  15:50:26  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

officious, pedantic wanker
Unfortunately, many people think that's a synonym for "Christian" anymore. But I've run into several "secular humanist" types who deserve the label too. Sorry you're having to deal with that particular human genus.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.