Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wizard from Milan
Barmy

236 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  00:06:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I think that the confirmation that DD was gay and especially the revelation that DD was smitten for GG does have great bearing on the story (at least for me).

I had found DD's behavior extremely puzzling in DH and at odd with what we knew of him from the previous 6 books. I had found the new revelations not just new information different from what we knew, but at odd with what we knew.
I think that knowing that DD was smitten for GG makes some of those pieces fit together much better for me. So I think that it has bearings on the story for me.
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  00:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Then it ought to be in the story, yes?

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Wizard from Milan
Barmy

236 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  07:14:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theowyn

Then it ought to be in the story, yes?

I think that DH would have made more sense, if it were in the story
Go to Top of Page

msulizzy11
Addled

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  10:54:52  Show Profile  Click to see msulizzy11's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Here's an editorial from Andy at MuggleNet

http://www.mugglenet.com/infosection/opinion2/defence.shtml

It's v. well written and basically touches on everything that needs to be said right now.

In my comment I mentioned shellfish also being forbidden to eat and the amount of shrimp cocktails my uncle eats...it censored me. Weirdos.

Order of the Bookmark
Fred Weasley We Salute You

"Not since George Bush decided to invade Iraq over weapons of mass destruction has the world been so engrossed with a fantasy story."
- Sydney Morning Herald July 18, 2007 Re: Harry Potter

Edited by - msulizzy11 on 10/24/2007 10:55:18
Go to Top of Page

Wizard from Milan
Barmy

236 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  22:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of (less intuitive) pieces of the story that fits better now that I know of DD-GG is DD's acceptance of Snape's story that he is in love with Lily and that because of that he is willing to leave Voldy and join DD.
I think many people would not believe Snape's story. I think that two believe Snape one has to believe two things:
1. that it is at all possible for somebody to love obsessively someone so much that one is willing to do something that he would not do otherwise for any reason even without any benefit or being reciprocated
2. that Snape's case was indeed one of these cases.
I find it believable to think that Snape passed requirement 2 simply in virtue of the fact that DD is very perceptive, but I think it important that Snape passed requirement 1 because the DD's obsessive love for GG had keyed DD into thinking that obsessive love can ideed be very powerful.

What I would like to know now is whether DD ever went to visit GG at the Nurmengard.
We know that GG repented and it is reasonable to believe that he repented way before DD's death. Consider that more than 60 years elapsed between GG's imprisonment and DD's death. We also know that DD valued repentance. In addition, I share the view that the real reason while DD delayed attacking GG was because although he was over his teenager obsessive love for GG he still felt something for him.
I wonder whether Adriana's death was just too painful for DD to overcome. I actually believe that a meeting with a repented GG (who presumably had repented also about his role in Adriana's death) might have brought healing to DD about the whole Adriana story

Edited by - Wizard from Milan on 10/24/2007 22:22:40
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  11:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What you say of love is true, Wiz. I had pretty much filled in those blanks myself as I read. As I said earlier, I had always assumed Dumbledore had loved someone deeply in his lifetime. The identity/gender of the object of his affections was irrelavent to me, though, so I never gave it another thought. I guess what I'm getting at is that gay or straight makes no difference. Love is love and betrayal still is betrayal.
I agree, the confirmation that Dumbledore had been betrayed by one he loved makes his reaction to Snape as a betrayer make more sense.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  21:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's amazing how many discussions I've had in the past few days that have started with "so, have you heard about Dumbledore?". It's sort of funny how many people are interested. Even people I've talked to who haven't read the books or watched the movies know who Dumbledore is and what it means for a character like him to be gay.

In my Political Science tutorial we start off every day with something we've read in the news and then we discuss it. The first person to go mentioned that Dumbledore was gay, and it was all we talked about. Our TA tried to steer the conversation back to political theory, but eventually gave up, so we talked about the political implications of the development.

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - Cour_Delafleur on 10/26/2007 21:40:24
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.