Hermione Granger--Brilliant but Scary
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  10:21:55  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage Send sunsethill a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Several threads have discussed Hermione's competence and Amazing Expanding Purse, but something else struck me the other day about her behavior in DH. Ron was right. She really is "scary." We knew about her capturing Rita Skeeter, and luring Umbridge to her possible death by centaur, but in DH she does something similar to her parents. These adults who love her are made to totally forget they have a daughter, uproot their lives, and move to Australia based on what appears to be a completely unilateral decision on Hermione's part. In effect, she treats her parents worse than house elves by giving them no choice but to be protected by the vastly brilliant and superior Hermione.

So, we can now add Hermione to my rapidly growing list of those whose characterization, in my eyes, has been shafted by Rowling in DH. A humorous fanfiction I have been enjoying has several characters telling Hermione "no Dark Lording" as she moves to make her mark in the world. In a way, it's not really that funny given Hermione's "scary" side. I hope Ron never needs to be protected for some reason. He may wind up in Canada thinking he's a forester whose name is Bob.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  10:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron's a lumberjack, and he's OK. He sleeps all night and he works all day!

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  12:06:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

Ron's a lumberjack, and he's OK. He sleeps all night and he works all day!
ROLF! I was just thinking exactly the same thing.

SH, I don't think Hermione's character was shafted in the sense that she became OOC. The Hermione we see in DH is the same girl who decided to try and free the house elves of Hogwarts whether they liked it or not. She's always had a tendency to want to run everyone else's lives 'for their own good'. It's no surprise that she'd treat her parents the same way. This even fits her relationship with Ron. Hermione is a younger version of Molly. Both are domineering and slightly cold-blooded. Both will do whatever it takes to achieve their ends. And where Molly leaves off bossing Ron around, Hermione picks up. It's no wonder Ron loves her.

Of course this means that Hermione's character doesn't grow an inch in DH, but then neither does anyone else's aside from DD and Snape, both of whom are dead by the time their character growth takes place.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  11:28:47  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theowyn
SH, I don't think Hermione's character was shafted in the sense that she became OOC. The Hermione we see in DH is the same girl who decided to try and free the house elves of Hogwarts whether they liked it or not. She's always had a tendency to want to run everyone else's lives 'for their own good'. It's no surprise that she'd treat her parents the same way. This even fits her relationship with Ron. Hermione is a younger version of Molly. Both are domineering and slightly cold-blooded. Both will do whatever it takes to achieve their ends. And where Molly leaves off bossing Ron around, Hermione picks up. It's no wonder Ron loves her.

Of course this means that Hermione's character doesn't grow an inch in DH, but then neither does anyone else's aside from DD and Snape, both of whom are dead by the time their character growth takes place.

You are exactly right. She doesn't become exactly OOC, but I suppose I never expected her to be so ruthless with those she loved. The house elves were powerless and oppressed, and Umbridge was evil. But her parents were adults and had a right to decide for themselves. Given her wanting to give house elves self-determination, I wonder if maybe we couldn't make the point that this action was a little OOC. If any growth is shown by her actions, it's not a growth in maturity and becoming more consistent in her beliefs. It's kind of like Harry using an Unforgiveable with no negative consequences.

Ron loves it now, but I worry about the boy later.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  15:23:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hermione is very accustomed to her power. She became accustomed to it even before she came to Hogwarts. She's always treated the most monumental exercise of magical power as somewhat humdrum. Oddly, the person in the series she resembles most is Tom Riddle Jr. He too was very accustomed to his power, but while he used it to dominate, she used it to enforce Order and Good.

It reminds me of a comment Tolkien once made about Gandalf and Saruman. Tolkien said that had Saruman obtained the Ring, he would have used it for evil and self-gratification. His rule would have been a classic tyranny. But had Gandalf had been corrupted by the Ring, his rule would have been even worse, because he would have attempted to do good with it, and thus made his unfortunate subjects believe that all that was good was evil.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  11:41:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Hermione had her moment of character-growing in PS when she realizes that friendship is more important than knowledge and books. From then on she uses her intelligence and her power for something that is really worth it.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  13:15:31  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diricawl
It reminds me of a comment Tolkien once made about Gandalf and Saruman. Tolkien said that had Saruman obtained the Ring, he would have used it for evil and self-gratification. His rule would have been a classic tyranny. But had Gandalf had been corrupted by the Ring, his rule would have been even worse, because he would have attempted to do good with it, and thus made his unfortunate subjects believe that all that was good was evil.

That is an excellent comparison, Diri. Sometimes those desiring to do good can be worse than those who are only looking to enchance their own pleasures. So it would seem that you believe Hermione to be not only brilliant, but extremely powerful magically. Maybe I should be even more worried for Ron.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  08:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that Hermione is powerfull, but she reaches her limits when it comes to magic that can't be studied by reading a book. She always has trouble producing a patronus and she isn't good at flying on a broomstick either. I wonder whether she would be good at occlumency, because that's something that can't be really studied from a book either.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  15:19:39  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn8

I think that Hermione is powerfull, but she reaches her limits when it comes to magic that can't be studied by reading a book. She always has trouble producing a patronus and she isn't good at flying on a broomstick either. I wonder whether she would be good at occlumency, because that's something that can't be really studied from a book either.

Interesting question. Hermione's mind is well-ordered, which should help I would imagine. Didn't Rowling say that Harry would never learn occlumency because his emotions were too uncontrolled? Hermione controls her emotions some, but not completely given the times she attacked Draco and Ron. Could we postulate that a Gryffindor might have trouble learning occlumency while a Slytherin wouldn't? We know that DD was a strong legilimens, but he was worried about Voldie reading his mind through Harry's eyes in fifth year. That would suggest that he was a stronger legilimens than occlumens.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  14:37:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that most Gryffindors we know wouldn't be too good at Occlumency, while a lot of Slytherins might have a natural ability to perform Occlumency. I guess Percy would be an exception, IMHO he would be a good Occlumence.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  10:59:34  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn8

I agree that most Gryffindors we know wouldn't be too good at Occlumency, while a lot of Slytherins might have a natural ability to perform Occlumency. I guess Percy would be an exception, IMHO he would be a good Occlumence.

Yes, but that's just because Percy should have been sorted into Slytherin. I bet he talked the hat out of it!

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.