Philosopher to Hallows
 The ring puzzle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wizard from Milan
Barmy

236 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  22:13:24  Show Profile Send Wizard from Milan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am puzzled by the ring-stone.

The ring seems to work for Harry without a glitch.
Yet supposedly it was broken beyond repair, give that that is the only way to destroy a horcrux (according to Hermione).
I guess that it is possible for the ring to be destroyed as a horcrux yet still work as a stone, although that would smell of plot-hole to me.

The fact that the stone keeps on working makes us puzzle about DD's action. Did DD foresee that the stone would have kept on working even after it had been destroyed as a horcrux?
I would say that DD, at a minimum, he was not sure it would have continued working; I guess he believed that either it would have stopped working or that there was a certain probability that it stopped working, otherwise he would not have worn it before destroying it as a horcrux.
I think that the fact that he considered that it could have kept on working and yet chose to take "no risk" and use it while whole (thereby basically guaranteeing his own premature death) underscores how important it was for him to reconcile himself with Ariana.

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  15:10:18  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think he must have known it would still work since he left it for Harry to open only at the end--when Harry uses it to have the company of his parents and Sirius and Remus as he walks to his death.

Did DD get his injury, though, when he tried to use it or just from putting it on? I can't remember clearly--and my daughter has my copy of DH so I can't check. I'm thinking he was just so eager to actually acquire the ring that he didn't check it thoroughly before putting it on. I remember the curse as coming before he even tries to use it.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Wizard from Milan
Barmy

236 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  15:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sunsethill

I think he must have known it would still work since he left it for Harry to open only at the end--when Harry uses it to have the company of his parents and Sirius and Remus as he walks to his death.

Yes, DD definitely knew that the ring was still working at that time. My point is that it is possible he thought it might work after breaking it even before breaking it. What I think we can exclude is that he was sure before breaking it that it would have worked after breaking it. That would be inconsistent with my understanding of DH.

quote:
Did DD get his injury, though, when he tried to use it or just from putting it on?

By putting it on, which (is my understanding) is a necessary condition to use it.

quote:
I'm thinking he was just so eager to actually acquire the ring that he didn't check it thoroughly before putting it on.

I don't believe that. In Snape's memory we have a hint that that is not so. Snape takes for granted that DD had sensed the curse before it was triggered. Snape asks DD whether DD thought that the curse would have broken once the ring would have been broken. Snape's tone is of disbelief, and DD's answer it the top of evasiveness: he says "something like that." It was likely not something like that at all.
I think DD chose to wear the ring fully aware of the fact that the curse would have killed him eventually. I think he chose to do so because he was so incredibly full of remorse about Ariana (I would say likely exaggeratedly so given the facts as we witness them in DH).
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  16:07:44  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't get the feeling, though, that DD had actually used the ring to see Ariana again. And did Harry put the ring on when he used it at the end or did he just turn it in his hands to make his parents and the others appear?

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.