Life in Miniscule
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  21:09:01  Show Profile Send Siobhan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just for Jo! An incentive for finishing.
Hmmmm. Maybe I'll figure out posting photos so I can post my unfinished dollhouse and village set.... not to mention pictures of my knitting.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  23:19:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An incentive for both of us. Are you the one with the Glencroft, Siobhan?

I've very upset that one of the craft stores I like to go to is phasing out all their dollhouse miniatures. Michaels and Joanns have long ago quit selling anything miniature and this store was the last place I could go besides an overpriced dollhouse store in the area. I'm stuck with buying all my supplies online. Everything is scrapbooking in the craftstores now and I don't know one person who scrapbooks actively.

I haven't been working in miniature all summer because I just lost interest in my large dollhouse, but I got inspired by someone's roombox I saw on another site of a library in a book. I'm going to make my own version. I'm also working on a teeny tiny display in a teacup.

Time to get working so I can post pictures.

Ohh, I forgot. I do have some pictures up on another mini site. The pictures aren't the best quality, but it shows a few two that I've done. The pink house is no longer pink but a dark teal and given away to my niece at Christmas. The green cottage needs finishing touches like the rest of the shingles put on and some yardwork.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 08/22/2007 23:30:45
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  11:22:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup. And it's still in the same unfinished state. I didn't even touch it this summer, though I meant to. I've got to figure out a way to do a convincing wattle and daub (stucco, sort of) look for the exterior as well as touch up the exterior where it's been roughed up by time and bunny teeth. My other limitation is furnishings in the style I want. I've yet to see any William Morris or Stickley stuff for dollhouses. Most of the accessories I think I could fake. I do have a few pieces in the form of kits that might work for an ecclectic look. The other problem is deciding what rooms should be what. The parlour/siting room is obvious. I suppose I could do a library or studio (never have wanted to do a kitchen) the smaller room. There are two upstairs rooms accessed by a small staircase from the sitting room. If it weren't for the stairwell being open I would make the larger room a bedroom, but I think it will have to be a lady's sitting room/study with the bed in the smaller room over the library studio.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  13:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a few ways to do stucco. You could go with the dollhouse stucco, not my choice. Then there is the joint compound/spackling method. Get a paintbrush and dab it on lightly. A stippling brush like for stenciling would probably work best. You can even tint it with a little bit of paint mixed in. This is what I'd do. Then there is a toilet paper/kleenex method. Separate the little layer of tissue. While your paint is wet, wad up and then smooth out the tissue layer and dab the tissue to the wet painted surface and move it around until you like it. When it's done you do another layer of paint. I've never tried this, but some people swear by it.

I have a book that shows how to do a Frank Lloyd Wright study. It shows how to make the desk, chair, and cabinet. Sounds perfect for your house. If you search some of the dollhouse sites, you can find Craftsman dining sets, but other stuff is hard to find. One place online shows how to make Craftsman bedroom furniture if you feel like making your own.

Here is a link to a forum I frequent. If you go to "Gallery" and search for Glencroft there are pages of ones that come up from people who have built them. They are very impressive and you can see how other people have done the same house.
http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/

Edited by - Jokelly on 08/23/2007 13:03:24
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  14:52:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see that I'm going to have a tough time doing the interiors. Husband started assembling years ago and got too far ahead for me to do the insides. Now I'm going to have to either break pieces off and reglue or scratch my hands up and curse a blue cloud to get the wall treatments, etc. in. And don't even ask where I'll display it!

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  19:29:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't wallpaper or decorate until after the shell is completed. I'm too messy to decorate as I build. If I were doing a Glencroft, I'd do the stucco on the inside, too. That way you wouldn't have to wallpaper. Wallpapering is my least favorite of the process...that and applying all those tiny shingles.

My niece is building a cheap dollhouse kit (cost $13) with my help and she going to wallpapering as we go. It's lavendar and white and she picked some wild colors for inside. Bright pinks and greens. It's going to be a fairy cottage she said. She wants to make twig furniture for it. It's her house and she's making all the decisions so if she wants all pink then so be it.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  01:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I won a dollhouse a few weeks ago from Greenleaf! I never win anything. It's going to be a Christmas store. I hope to complete it before Christmas so I should have pictures soon.

Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  10:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a Greenleaf village that I've been trying to decide what to do with. There's six buildings all about 5" x 7". I'll either do a Christmas village or a Faeiry-tale series-- in my spare time.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  11:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have that village, too. I built the tudor and gave it away, but I have the remaining five buildings. My neice wants another of the buildings so I'm going to end up with only four. It's very cute and 1/4th scale. You can get furniture and everything in that tiny scale, but I'm just making them into shells and using them for Christmas decorating. I was working on the village when I won the Storybook Cottage. So they got pushed to the side. I only have a little but of roof work left and some minor painting. They're 80% done. I'll have to take pictures of those, too. They're super easy to put together if you're not planning on decorating the inside.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.