Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 51

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  13:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, most of the folk music I know is from the '60s, but I'll have to say John Denver.

Country Boys or City Boys (or Girls)?
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  13:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm. I'm fine with both, but I guess I'll say city boys.

Who is your favourite super hero?

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Emmmma
Barmy

293 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  20:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know spiderman is all the rage now and i have nothing against him, but my weakness has always been batman - the whole batcave thing is fun. superman is too earnest, but i loved the first 3 christopher reeve movies.

now i have to ask something - how do you come up with questions to ask[qm]

Formerly Garside! ;-)
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  21:05:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I let me mind drift...

quote:
Originally posted by Cour_Delafleur

Pixie, I know I won't be keeping up the tradition, but my sister wants to (now). But then it won't be the same last name. I only have one cousin who can carry on the name.

Not really Cour - I have 5 sisters and one brother so everyone thought he'd be the only one to have children to "carry the name". As it happens most of my sisters who married kept their own names and two of my sisters who didn't get married had boys - so my siblings have collectively produced a total of 4 grandchildren who have my family last name! And they're all boys.

Do you like the smell of house paint?

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Edited by - AMC on 05/20/2007 21:08:14
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  22:12:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Latex paint is OK, but oil-based is foul. My paint shop sells little scent packets you can add to your paint to eliminate the odor and add a pleasant scent. Much to my amazement, they really work, and the scent lasts for about a year. Lucky for me, I like the scent I picked for our bedroom (fresh linen). There would be no way to get rid of the smell if I didn't like it.

What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  03:56:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ben and Jerry's chunky monkey

What colour is your toilet paper?

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  19:12:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boring old white.

Do you like having people into your home?
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  23:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love it.

Do you look in other people's cabinets just to be nosy?

Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  00:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never. I'm always afraid I'll find something I don't want to see, so I only go into other people's cupboards for things like dishes, and only if I know which cupboard to look in.

Is there any strange slang unique to where you live?

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  01:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots. If you say "Kennywood's open" that means you're zipper is down. Kennywood is a local amusement park. If I were describing Aunt Petunia I would describe her as "nebby" meaning a busy-body nosy person. And if you have to clean or tidy up a room you "redd up".

What's some strange slang where you live?

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

mistertibbs
Giddy

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  00:38:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm from Saint Louis, and there were people saying a few years ago for example, "we're from the Lou". There were obvious issues though because of the connection to the bathroom.

This is fun, what are some slang phrases from your area?

~Tibbs
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  02:57:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was a kid, it was common Cockney practice to contract "isn't it" to "innit", as in, "It's pretty bloody obvious, innit?" or "This film's total bollocks, innit?" But an odd thing happened in the nine years I spent away from England. Since my return, "innit" has become an all-purpose request for agreement, independent of its original meaning. People now say things like, "He's a bit of a tosser, innit?", or "You're going down to the shops, innit?" I'd be fascinated to find out how this happened.

Are there any words the origins of which you've always been interested in knowing?

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 05/23/2007 08:27:58
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  06:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the "innit" was borrowed from a sketch show, where one of the characters uses it randomly.

As for the origins of words, there are LOTS of words I want to know the origin of. I'm obsessed with etymology, it was my favourite subject at university. I truly wish I'd become an academic and done research in it, but it's too late now, I left uni too long ago and I can't remember enough of it. Sniff.

Which fairytales did you learn? The sanitised versions or the original versions? Example: Jack and the Beanstalk. In the original story, the giant ate his daughters. Red Riding Hood: in the original story, the wolf eats both the grandmother and Little Red Riding hood, and the hunter cuts the wolf open, takes both out, and puts stones in their place. And don't get me started on Sleeping Beauty (did you know Prince Charming had a cannibalistic mother?).

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  08:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We learned both. We had books of Grimm's fairy tales and also LP storybooks the "Disney" versions. The books were more exciting, but the LPs had great music along with the stories. Yes, A lot of child-eating went on in those days!

Speaking of cannibals, Are you going to see Pirates this weekend?
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  08:27:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it certainly appears to be coming out the same day in the UK, so yeah, sure. Innit.

Should the primary goal of a fairy tale be to entertain children and engage their sense of wonder, or to scare the living crap out of them to make sure they're ready for the rest of their lives?

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  08:40:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Should the primary goal of a fairy tale be to entertain children and engage their sense of wonder, or to scare the living crap out of them to make sure they're ready for the rest of their lives?

Both. How better to ingrain the morality du jour into their young minds? Tell them they'll be swept off by a handsome prince if they're good, and eaten by an evil witch (or wolf, or dwarf, etc.) if they're bad. My mother even threw in "doing the dishes every day" as a way of being good.

Did you ever believe in fairy tales when you were young?

Edited by - n/a on 05/23/2007 08:42:14
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  09:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No. I did believe in ghosts though.

Are you one of nature's believers?

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  19:22:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I have carefuly inculcated belief into my life because I think it's fun to believe in things beyond what we see and feel. But I am one of nature's materialists.

Do you ever fool yourself deliberately?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  09:18:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably more on a subconscious level, but then I think we all do. Consciously I try to focus on the positive aspects of a person/situation much more than the bad, in the belief that when good is nurtured it will carry the day on its own accord. Some would say that qualifies as fooling myself. However, in my experience it really works.

How do you feel about having your picture taken?

Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  10:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't mind much, except when it's my period and I look three times the size I usually do. Seriously. I need two sizes of clothes.

Did you grow up with Struwwel Peter/Piet de Smeerpoets/Shock-headed Peter?

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."

Edited by - Starling on 05/24/2007 10:03:49
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  13:41:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I've never heard of it.

Has anyone else seen Shrek the Third?
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  15:45:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope. Don't think I will either; the schtick is getting tired. Give me a fairy tale that isn't afraid to be one for once.

On the subject of belief, since everyone here except me is female, perhaps you could answer this: why do "only" 47 percent of Americans believe literally in Creation as described in the Bible, but 53 percent of American women?

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  18:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm ... you complicate your query with the statistic about creationism in America. After removing that controvesial and distracting issue, it seems that you are really asking why women seem to accept unprovable beliefs more readily than men. This idea could also be explored by asking the converse: Why are men more reluctant than women to believe things they can't see or prove?

As a man, what is your answer to that question?

Or perhaps a woman's anwer to that question would be more interesting!

Edited by - n/a on 05/24/2007 19:08:08
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  01:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I thought it would be.

As a man, I think the issue is that men like certainties; they like things that can be sorted out with a wrench and some nails. Uncertainties are irrelevant; if you can't fix it, frame it, or nail it down, then it has no meaning. Still, though that explains why women are more likely to entertain unprovable assertions, it doesn't really explain why women are more likely to believe them.

Anyway. What colour is the sky where you are?

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  04:02:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blue and white, but mostly white. It was grey yesterday, so it's quite an improvement.

Is 53% a significantly higher percentage of women than men? What was the sample population? Were they matched for educational attainment? It may sound a bit rich coming from a Catholic, but I'm not really one for entertaining unproven assertions so I'd like some hard statistics before I give that any credence. Which makes me wonder: do more women believe in God than men? Because that's pretty much the ultimate unprovable assertion.

What's your biggest pet peeve? (I just woke up from a dream where I was in an exam and the person sitting next to me kept humming under her breath - argh!)

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  05:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate text message language - I suppose that could be described as a peeve. My sister has a bebo page and she has written the whole thing in text message language. I wonder will she write her exams in text message language? What will the examiner think?
Ahhhhh!!!!!!

What are you wearing right now? (I am having a pyjama morning - have borrowed said sisters dressing gown)
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  05:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm also having a pajama morning! I'm going to take a break from the computer soon to shower and dress. It might wake me up a bit. I always find it hard to work in pajamas.

What are your plans for today?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  05:52:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
signing up for the gym, maybe writing a bit more of my fanfic, although given the fact that I have yet to hear anything about my last addition I wonder if it's worth it...

When was your last nightmare?

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 05/25/2007 05:53:41
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  06:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you waiting to hear from me? Because I decided to go back and read it from the beginning again, but I haven't had time to read anything in ages because of my studies. If you like I can skip forward and read from where you left off so I can give you feedback. My workload is about to lessen so I'll have time over the next few weeks.

My last nightmare was... last night if you count humming noises during an exam as nightmarish, which I sort of do. But the dream I had the night before was much worse. I dreamt that some horrible man stole my very favourite textbook - I carry it around like a security blanket and rob all my best therapy ideas from it - and ripped out all the pages in front of me while two other large men restrained me. Then I managed to get free and ran around collecting as many pages as I could. I managed to re-assemble most of the book, so I was absolutely delighted with myself, but then some girl came up to me and said that it was her book and that my book was in the ocean. So I had to give it back to her. It was VERY TRAUMATIC.

Do you have any recurring dreams?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles

Edited by - Bee on 05/25/2007 06:16:33
Go to Top of Page

gimu
Addled

Ireland
209 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  13:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, I have this horrible dream where a big cow or bull is trying to get me. I think it comes from having to help move cows as a child. When you're a small 8year old and there are a herd of cows running at you, its odd not to be scared I think. The bull terrified me - I saw him trying to attack my grandfather once - my poor grandad had to keep walking around a tree until my dad could distract the bull enough to let my grandad get away.

Were you good at maths at school, and if so, are you still? I know I was around the top of my maths class, but if someone asked me to do a paper now, I'd probably fail.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 51 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.