Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 51

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  06:55:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Read a couple of chapters of HBP this morning. I don't intend reading the whole book though. It caught my eye, so I picked it up, opened it at a random page, and before I knew it I'd gotten through a few chapters.

What are you reading these days?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  07:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right now? 16th century clerical financial records.

God I can't wait til I finally hand this bloody essay in.

Should I jump immediately into a doctorate or wait a bit?

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

SweetPea
Addled

Canada
184 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  09:51:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jump right in. get it over with.

When was the last time you were at the dentist?

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

jlg881
Giddy

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  17:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two weeks ago.

When was the last time you watch a HP movie?

Order of the Bookmark

"I love magic!" - Harry in GOF
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  17:58:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today -- I've seen parts of PoA, CoS, and PS/SS at different times during the day.

What's your favorite salad dressing?
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  18:19:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A local restaurant has a mango flavored Italian dressing that is fabulous! Otherwise it's Hidden Valley Ranch.

Do you still consider Pluto a planet?

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  13:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YES! PLANET PLUTO 4EVA! *clings*

What's your favourite drink?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  16:11:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
er..water. Or, whisky. They're interchangeable..right? : P

Do you have anything fun planned for your weekend?
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  20:03:32  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's half over - but lots of nothing, really. Homework. Housework. Might have a friend over for tea and cake. Lovely!

What's the last thing you baked?

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  21:21:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A shortcake. Bought some nice strawberries and needed shortcake to go with it. I don't make it as individual ones though. I put it all in a pan and make a big shortcake then slice it in wedges.

What's a favorite dessert of yours?

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  22:18:54  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My housemate asked me this the other day, intending to make it for me, but I couldn't think of an answer. I prefer biscuits and slices to desserts. But maybe lemon meringue pie.

Does shortcake = shortbread?

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  22:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had to looked up the answer because to me shortbread is cookies (biscuits) and different than shortcake. But with language differences I didn't know. Here is one explanation from Wikipedia:
quote:
Shortbread is a type of biscuit (cookie) which is traditionally made from one part white sugar, two parts butter, and three parts plain white flour, although other ingredients like ground rice or cornflour are sometimes added to alter the texture. It is baked at a low temperature to avoid browning; and when cooked, it should be white or a light golden brown. Shortbread is generally associated with Scotland, although it is also made in Denmark and other countries. Shortbread is so called because of its high fat content, "short" being the abbreviation of "shortening," which is usually butter.

quote:
Shortcake is a sweet biscuit (in the American sense: that is, a crumbly, baking soda- or baking powder-leavened bread), and a dessert made with that biscuit. Shortcake is typically made with flour, sugar, baking powder or soda, salt, butter, milk or cream, and sometimes eggs. The dry ingredients are blended, and then the butter is cut in and mixed (or "creamed") until the incorporation resembles cornmeal. The liquid ingredients are then mixed in to make a wet batter. The batter is then dropped in spoonfuls onto a baking sheet or poured into a cake form, and baked until set.

So they're similar, but different. I eat shortbread cookies. Shortcake is soft and sort of like a combination between an American biscuit and a cake. Shortcake is usually served with fruit and whipped cream...or milk if you're in my family.

Since I wrote the difference between the two, do people eat shortcake outside of the U.S.?

Edited by - Jokelly on 08/26/2006 22:58:43
Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  23:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I wrote the difference between the two, do people eat shortcake outside of the U.S.?

er???..I'm guessing maybe no at the lack of response : P

I do though...although I don't live outside the US ^_^ And I bake it too. In fact I mostly only eat short cake I bake myself. We dodn't eat it with milk though. We eat it with strawberris and whipped cream. Although....the people who used to live across the street from me eat cobbler with tons of whipped cream....not half & half, or milk...buth thick straight cream. When I was little I swore they'd die of heart attacks early. But they're both in thier eighties..so I guess I was wrong. Although they did kill a Chihuahua by over feeding it. I guess it died of a heart attack..or diabetes. Althhough it was so full and round I'd always expected it to die by explosion. It used to chase its tail like crazy...and...I expected it to just *pop!* one day : P

Do they celebrate Halloween in the country you live in? And if so, how do you celebrate it?
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  04:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Halloween has a weird history in the UK; it was banned by the Puritan Parliamentarians during the Civil War for being ungodly, Satanic and worst of all, Catholic. In typical Puritanical fashion, they decided to replace it with Guy Fawkes Night, a holiday in which little kids burn a Catholic terrorist in effigy.

Halloween is, fundamentally, an Irish holiday (kids get days off from school on Halloween in Ireland! How cool is that?) and the Irish brought it over to America. Oddly enough, the Puritans also fled to America, which is why to this day, once a year, that country plays host to that peculiar cultural battle between Irish Satanic Catholicism and Puritan moral rectitude over whether Halloween will corrupt our children with the ways of the Devil, much to the befuddlement of spectators over here. In keeping with Puritanical practice, they have attempted to swap Halloween for something else, at least among themselves, though modern American political correctness dictates they opt for the more generic "Harvest festival" over burning Catholics. In England, following the cultural eviscerations of Cromwell, a puny residue of the old carnival was left, called the Halloween party, which basically involved tedious games like bobbing for apples. It was all fairly subdued.

Guy Fawkes Night was still widely celebrated when I was a kid; there wasn't a neighborhood that didn't have a guy blazing in every back yard and fireworks going off. Halloween was still confined indoors. Us US-expatlings living in our American ghetto in Chelsea could stil trick-or-treat, but most Brits would turn us away in confusion.

But upon my return, I found that the popularity of Guy Fawkes Night had plummeted; it had become harder and harder to find a good burning. Too many kids were setting themselves on fire, so it became something of a health and safety issue. Local councils would be responsible for setting up a guy and then kids would have to trek for miles to the approved ground. Conversely, thanks to US cultural influence, many British parents started seeing trick-or-treating as a safe alternative to Guy Fawkes Night, and more and more kids are turning up at my door asking for sweets, which is nice.

What holiday do you feel best exemplifies your nation?

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory

Edited by - diricawl on 09/03/2006 10:11:49
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  07:50:25  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Melbourne Cup Day. We Melbournians get a day off for a horse race. Need I say more?

On the guy fawkes issue, I remember when fireworks weren't illegal in Australia. *sigh*

What nation are you envious of?
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  11:45:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that I know that kids don't get time off school for Halloween in other countries: none. They all suck! *clings to Halloween break*

However, I am a little bit envious of any nation with better weather. So, a lot of nations, then.

What would your Patronus be?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  18:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a cat. I'm part cat. I've known that for some time.

Would you hunt, kill and eat an animal?

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  19:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have a problem with the idea of hunting for food, but I'd have to be awfully hungry to do it myself. As it is, I have a very hard time dealing with the poor little mice that wander into the house every few years.

Are you a daredevil?
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  22:14:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No way. I'm a big sissy.

Pesky, that's what a house cat if for, to deal with the mice. Problem is mine likes to catch and kill them but not eat them.

What's the weirdest type of meat, or vegetable if you're vegetarian, you've ever eaten?

Edited by - Jokelly on 09/03/2006 22:14:51
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  03:36:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
piranha.

Am I wrong for finding Steve Irwin's death funny? I mean... a stingray? This guy dangled his own kid in front of crocodiles, and he gets killed by a stingray?

When I was travelling up the Amazon once, a guy pointed to a fairly obvious fish-shaped dip in the mud near the shore. "Don't step there. Stingray. That'll kill you." OK. Good to know. Never did. This guy drags black mambas off the side of the road, gets them all angry and photogenic, and then boasts, "Oive been handlin snaikes moy whoool loife, and Oive neevah been bitten." And yet, you didn't notice that stingray. Weird.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - diricawl on 09/04/2006 03:52:41
Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  12:57:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, you're not wrong. I laughed at your post.

Do all stingrays have the same amount of electric current, or are the bigger ones the deadliest?
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  13:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're getting stingrays confused with electric eels. Stingrays aren't electric; their barbs contain a very nasty neurotoxin that, from how I've heard it described, basically sets your nerves on fire. I don't think there are any stingrays that are necessarily more dangerous than others; Steve Irwin died because the stinger had the misfortune of going straight through his chest and into his heart. Even without the venom, that probably would have killed him anyway.

Are there any dangerous animals near where you live?

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

JKRisSuperior
Mediwizard

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  16:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Diri!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  18:53:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have some bears and a few wild cats. They've also stocked coyote, but I don't know if they're dangerous. My brother once claimed to see bigfoot, and my dad had a strange encounter with a large, tall roaring animal, probably a bear, and now won't go out in the woods without his pistol. Other than that we have more white-tailed deer than anything.

Have you ever pet a stingray? (Our zoo has a petting tank and they're sort of slimy)

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  19:17:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I have; my grandmother works for the Monterey Bay Aquarium. They are indeed slimy, and also leathery. Apparently they're as intelligent as housecats.

One of my great dreams is to see a manta up close. Do you have any dream animal encounters?

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

mistertibbs
Giddy

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  21:59:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always I wanted to meet an elephant. Our local zoo recently had a new baby girl elephant and I entered the contest they had to meet said elephant but no replies yet. I'm wondering now if it was only for children.

What would be your ideal pet?

~Tibbs
Go to Top of Page

MrBen
Barmy

Australia
284 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  18:44:40  Show Profile  Visit MrBen's Homepage  Send MrBen an AOL message  Click to see MrBen's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A mountain lion.

When did you first use the internet?
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  19:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a cybercafe in 1999.

Do you like improv comedy?

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Tsuki Keta
Addled

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  22:15:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. But I suppose, just like in anything I'd find people whose humore I didn't jive with...so..I guess I'd have to say yes and no. But I like the idea.

Cats or dogs?
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  03:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cats. I empathise with them more than dogs.

Do you drink tea? (I mean hot tea with milk and sugar, not ice tea)

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 51 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.