A Very Harry Birthday
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stray_bludger
Giddy

Philippines
10 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  10:21:21  Show Profile Send stray_bludger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not exactly sure where I'm supposed to post this, but anyway...

It all started when my cousin Blooey asked me out to lunch on July 31 and I casually popped the question, "Why don't we throw a party for Harry on his birthday?". Both our eyes just lit up and we chattered nonstop after that, planning for about a week.

So last Saturday, we actually transformed my house into Hogwarts castle, complete with floating candles over the food table. We'd also set-up corners for the different Hogwarts subjects - DADA, Charms, Transfiguration, Divination, Herbology, Astronomy, and of course, Potions (which was actually an open bar where people could make their own Veritaserum or Felix Felicis). We even had an Erumpent Horn and Blibbering Humdinger at the CoMC corner. It was a shame all the stick-on stars fell off the Astronomy tower, though. We even had a Quidditch corner, where my cousin displayed the Golden Snitch she'd bought. We actually printed out labels for the different Hogwarts textbooks (as well as non-textbooks, like Saucy Tricks for Tricky Sorts) and stuck them on my own books.

See our decorations here.http://janehpotpie.multiply.com/photos/album/63

The food was HP-inspired as well - we had pumpkin pasties, stoat sandwiches, shepherd's pie, Herbology salad, pasta with Molly Weasley's bechamel sauce (inspired by GoF) and of course, a Snitch Cake (which I worked on for hours, figuring out how to make it sphere-shaped). We also had a sweets section, which we named Honeydukes and served Chocolate Frogs, Cockroach Clusters, Acid Pops, Cauldron Cakes, Jelly Slugs, Chocoballs, Ton-Tongue Toffee, Drooble's Best Blowing Gum and Every Flavor Beans (which came in Vomit, Soap, Grass, Earthworm, Bacon, Earwax, and Black Pepper flavors, to name a few).

We also had Butterbeer, which a bunch of people actually liked, despite the fact that it's made out of rootbeer, butter and caramel syrup and microwaved for 30 seconds.

Food - http://janehpotpie.multiply.com/photos/album/62

And then when the guests came, there were actually people who came in costume - Harry (of course), Bellatrix, Rita Skeeter, Dolores Umbridge (I don't know why she chose this though!), Professor Trelawney, and a couple of Slytherins. Oh yeah, and one of my friend's nieces was dressed up as a Golden Snitch and looked just adorable. My cousin and I were supposed to reprise our role as Luna and Tonks, but we ran out of time as we had to decorate the place and finish cooking. We wore our Snape shirts ("In Snape We Trust!") instead.

Near the end, we had a Horcrux hunt (which included a mini-Harry, hehehe), although nobody managed to find the locket; my cousin had forgotten where she'd hidden it. People had trouble looking for Riddle's diary, which was actually hidden inside a textbook, just like what Lucius did in CoS.

We also made a guestbook for people to sign on, and had questions about their favorite HP book, HP character, HP villain, etc. For souvenirs, we had printed out mock Quibbler pages and had a photoprinter ready so that people could have their pictures taken and printed out instantly, which we stuck on the Quibbler. We also gave away Invisible Books of Invisibility. Hehe.

Pictures of wizards and muggles - http://janehpotpie.multiply.com/photos/album/64

When I look back at all the things we've done, I keep on thinking that we must be insane, throwing a party for a fictional character. But all in all, it was a great night.

Sigh... the things we do for the love of Harry!!!

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  11:26:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks so great! Really creative!
I loved the Golden Snitch!

And you have a Totoro!!!!!!!!

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  11:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's so brilliant, stray bludger! Stoat sandwiches, I love it!

We've had a couple of HP parties too. I think we had as much fun planning and preparing for them as the guests had attending them.

Thanks for sharing!
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  16:22:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is so neat. You're so lucky to have people who would do this. My family would just look atk me as if I were insane.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

stray_bludger
Giddy

Philippines
10 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  09:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

And you have a Totoro!!!!!!!!

Hehe, we passed off the Totoro as the Blibbering Humdinger. My cousin manages to find a lot of Studio Ghibli stuff from Ebay; that's where she got the chibi Totoro. It's so cute - it's got a string that makes it vibrate and scuttle across the room.
Go to Top of Page

stray_bludger
Giddy

Philippines
10 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  09:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jokelly

You're so lucky to have people who would do this. My family would just look atk me as if I were insane.

Yeah, lucky my cousin was just as crazy as I was. I wouldn't have done all this by my myself!
Go to Top of Page

Wildchild
Giddy

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  12:26:15  Show Profile  Visit Wildchild's Homepage  Send Wildchild an AOL message  Send Wildchild a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That's so neat! How long did it take you guys to prepare for all of this?! It looks so impressive! I'll have to talk to my friends to see if they'd be willing to have a party like this for Halloween, or something...SO COOL!

LOL -- I LOVE the Snape russian doll, and the Snitch cake! Eee!! :)

"I'm Switzerland."
Go to Top of Page

stray_bludger
Giddy

Philippines
10 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  10:29:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wildchild

That's so neat! How long did it take you guys to prepare for all of this?!

We came up with the idea about a little more than a week before the party, but we spent the next few days shopping for props (which almost felt like Horcrux hunting), materials and ingredients. We also researched on HP/British recipes on the net, as well as the titles of all the books mentioned in the series.

My cousin worked on the papier mache Harry for about 3 days, I think. She told me that she'd stay up late as she had to stick on the fibers for Harry's hair and broom one by one. She also made Hufflepuff's cup (also papier mache) days in advance.

We worked on the candles, lamps, and banner the night before the party, and printed out the labels for the books. I also made the Snitch cake, cauldron cakes, frog cookies and cockroach clusters that night.

But most of the work was done on the day itself... covering the books, arranging the corners for each subject, and preparing the rest of the food. We were supposed to reprise our roles as Luna and Tonks, but we became so busy with the decor and food, we didn't have time to fix our costumes. (I had originally written "The Weird Sisters" on a purple shirt with glitter glue, but it came off when I'd wash it; I even had sewn patches on my jeans, but I removed them and didn't have time to sew them back on).

Good thing we had our Snape shirts to fall back on, hehe.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.