New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  18:00:20  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's now been two weeks since the release of Deathly Hallows. All the books have been read, the tears shed, the laughs resounded, and the cheers faded. For the first time in years we're left without the delicious anticipation of another Harry Potter book on the horizon. We've finally reached the end of the tale.

My book is now tucked cozily in the shelf next to our other fiftteen Harry Potter volumes, and I dare say that I'm pretty much talked out about it too. It's been fun, but it seems time to discover new interests.

I'm continuing on my quest to read and re-read old literary classics. The other day I started The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Funny thing is, I've already noticed a few things that remind me of Harry Potter! (The haughty class superiority or the Pyncheons, and Old Miss Hepzibah, to name a couple. ) I get the feeling that wherever I go, Harry will not be far behind.

So, what's next for all of you? What do you have planned to fill the space that's left behind? Harry Potter Addicts Anonymous wants to know.

Edited by - n/a on 08/04/2007 18:03:15

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  19:02:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wait until JKR publishes something else!

We need to form a book club (and not the dirty type). Pick a book and have maybe have a thread for each chapter to discuss so everyone can go at their own pace. Sort of like what Checkmated.com's forum did for DH. http://forums.checkmated.com/index.php?s=3077f855cba904585c71368edc6f605e&showforum=35. I think we tried something with Narnia, but I never actually got into reading beyond The Magician's Nephew. The hard thing would be picking a book that appeals to most of us. We all have such varying tastes from classics like Jane Austen and Charles Dickens to trashy paperbacks. Any suggestions?

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's

Edited by - Jokelly on 08/04/2007 19:04:19
Go to Top of Page

Wizard from Milan
Barmy

236 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  19:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know...
I just started the second reading of DH.
I think I have still tons of things to mull over.
I think I can go on another 3 to 6 months.

Not sure after that.
I hope Dragons of the Hourglass Mage will be about by then
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  23:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would agree - a Harry Potter fan bookclub would be great.

But it's hard - I think we need enough time to "get over" Dh but not so much that we disappear entirely into other activities. I agree with Jo, I can't WAIT until JKR publishes something new.

House of Seven Gables, eh? Have to check it out. I've been trying to get through "Main Street" by Upton Sinclair but finding it hard going.

I read a book called the Jane Austen Book Club and I was so disappointed - I adore Austen and I didn't really think the book was very good. I guess I was expecting to find all the fun of a great book club in the book and it just.. wasn't.

And I love you, I love you, I love you.
Like never before, like never before.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  23:14:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOOh! How about we read dirty books every other book, that will get some amusing conversations going. I'm thinking DH Lawrence, not Sidney Sheldon but I'm more than up for more trashy novels too - we should alternate something really good with something we can all trash-talk about. It keeps things interesting.

Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  23:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMC, are you thinking Lady Chatterly's Lover? Or maybe something lighthearted. It doesn't even have to be a novel. We could throw in some great plays by Williams, Shaw, and the Bard himself. I just loved Pygmalion when I read it years ago.

I love on Regis and Kelly in the mornings she had her trashy book club because the books Oprah picks are too intense. Most people probably read the books Kelly Ripa picks more than Oprah's picks, which do tend to be a little too much for me.

I'll read anything as long as it isn't Danielle Steele. I even love romance novels, but I've borrowed a few Danielle Steele novels and they're all crap. Glad I never paid money for any. Sorry to any of her fans on this board, if there are any, but everyone is either paralyzed, family member dies tragically, or is either a philaderer or impotent...or all these in one book. Everyone is so tragic. I'm also not into sci-fi.

Edited by - Jokelly on 08/05/2007 00:12:27
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  02:00:30  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
.... I think I might be over HPG.

*runs and hides*

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  02:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sad to hear that, Myf. This place stopped being about Harry Potter for me at least five years ago. I come here for the people. I'd hate to see the people go just because the thing that brought us together is over.

Order of the Bookmark

As to the avatar, well, if you girls can all have Alan Rickman...

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  02:51:00  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No, it's not just that at all, Diri. I haven't spent much time discussing HP prior to DH, and after only a couple of weeks of DH discussion I'm pretty much over that as well. I loved the book, and I think I'd rather keep my memories of it like they are than make them stale by rehashing it ad nauseum. There was a purpose to it when we were still awaiting books, but I don't feel like it's enhancing my enjoyment of the books anymore. The opposite, if anything.

But still, although I've had a great time here, I think my life's changing and this isn't something I'd like to be still doing in a few years time. I can't really articulate it.

I'm sure, though, that I will be popping in every now and again to say hi. As for when I'll head off... sooner rather than later, I expect.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Wicked
Addled

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  10:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps this place can evolve into a more general forum, what books are you reading, what movies are you watching, what's going on in your life kind of a place...

There are still two more HP movies to look forward to. And the encyclopedia.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  11:44:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

OOOh! How about we read dirty books every other book, that will get some amusing conversations going. I'm thinking DH Lawrence, not Sidney Sheldon but I'm more than up for more trashy novels too - we should alternate something really good with something we can all trash-talk about. It keeps things interesting.

We could take up Anais Nin's diaries or Henry and June-- that way you get smut with the chance that some of it might actually be true, though what parts and how true are hard to tell.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  21:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I seem to recall I read the diaries of Anais Nin and my reaction was... not excited, let's say that. But sometimes it's interesting to read books you hate. I'm game for just about anything as long as we mix it up a bit. Maybe we could take turns picking the books/plays. Just make sure I have some lead-time before discussion - I read fast but I get to the library slowly!

Sorry to hear it Myf! But I'm sure you aren't the only one - life changes. Sometimes I've had periods were I don't even go online for weeks and other times I live online. And you're a lot younger than I so your life changes are probably more extreme. But I hope a bunch of us will still hang out here - it's a nice group and we are generally an amusing bunch.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  11:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, Myf! We'll miss you to be sure, but you have to go where your life's taking you. If I don't get the chance to say it again, best of luck with everything and it's been a blast knowing you at HPG. Hugs to the boy, too.

HPG's kind of wormed its way into my daily life, I'm afraid. It's become a habit to pull it up when I'm sipping my morning coffee, and after work when I want to wind down for a few minutes. I like the personalities here, everybody's fun and intelligent and polite ... yeah, it's a great crowd! I'm sure I'll pop in and participate in whatever reading groups pop up here. I've never read Anais Nin's diaries ... but I did go through quite a few Sydney Sheldons in my college days . Whatever anybody chooses, I'm up for it.
Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  13:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me too - in fact, I was just thinking if we're moving on I'm going to start a "complain about your work" thread since on an ongoing basis that should generate quite a few posts.

For the book club what do you say we take turns choosing books and someone can choose a new book, a favorite book or least-favorite book. I don't think book clubs need necessarily to be all new books - after all, we came here to talk about HP after we'd read one or more of the HP books!

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  13:21:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.. just thinking - won't it be fun if we're still together when JKR comes out with her next book? Even if we all hate it, it'll be great to have a fan base to disuss it with.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  14:12:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never read the diaries, but I did read "Delta of Venus". Some of the stories were interesting, some idiotic, and some were just plain disturbing. And if I ever hear anyone say that about Georgia O'Keefe again my brain will pop out of the left side of my skull. (It has its spot reserved)

Order of the Bookmark

"They don't want the Easter Bunny's power; The children in our generation want Harry's power, and they're getting it." - Laura Mallory
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  15:44:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*rubs hands together*

Any recommendations for our first pick?

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  16:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should it be put to a vote or should we take turns arbitrarily choosing the next book?

My nominations would be:

Favorite book - The Master and Margarita, Mikhail Bulgakov
Least favorite book - anything by Dickens (Hey, I'm willing to try)
Book I haven't read - Kite Runner (meant to read that last year)
Dirty Book - Lady Chatterley's lover (I read that 20 years ago and all I remember is the nicknames)

Maybe we should do it via Diri's elimination technique - one person proposes a list (we take turns) and the other people knock out the contenders until we're left with one.

If so - I've already done my list, so somebody take one out of the runnning.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  17:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll knock out Dickens for now. Let's go for something from outside the UK for a change of pace.
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  18:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to knock out Kite Runner. Just not something I would pick myself.

Heads up, Lady Chatterly's Lover is available online to read free. There are a few servers that have the full book up if anyone doesn't want to buy one and doesn't mind reading online. I started reading it in college and don't know why I never finished it. I remember seeing the movie on Cinemax when I was in middle school. Definitely not an appropriate movie for a 12 year old.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  21:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm - so it's up to Diri or Siobhan to knock out one more.

I gather the newer movie of LCL was pretty good. Not that I've seen it of course, my family likes our movies well-aged so we wait for DVD ... okay, we just never manage to make it out to the moves while these things are still playing. My SO and I STILL haven't seen OotP and we're both HP fanatics!

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  21:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bookclub? But I don't read! Oh noez!

Oh well, I'll probably duck in and out of the teashop same as always. I was never one for discussing the HP books in any great detail anyway. And I'm feeling a bit like Myf about the last one - I think discussing it is actually detracting from my enjoyment of it rather than otherwise.

Myffy my dear, it's been a blast. And you'll always know where to find us. I hope we stay in touch.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  22:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, you knocked out the Dickens already. I've never heard of any of the other books except for Lady Chatterly's Lover.

I've got a funny story, though. I bought a copy of The Seven Pillars of Wisdom when at my college book store in 1987. The student at the register looked at the author and said smart comment bordering on innuendo about me reading smutty books. I had to point out to him that DH and TE Lawrence were differnt people-- TE was "Lawrence of Arabia."

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  22:47:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So we're going to read the dirty book? Between that and the russian book I'd rather read LCL.

Go to Top of Page

AMC
Mediwizard

1710 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  00:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo - the Russian book is really great and very funny. I wouldn't steer you wrong, would I? But I don't mind starting with LCL - it should be a fun discussion.

Go to Top of Page

diricawl
Looney

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  02:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it's up to me to pick, I'd have to go with LCL, since I'm more likely to find it in my local library.

Please don't forget about us, Myffy!

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  08:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Straight for the dirty book ... I should have known! Sounds good to me, though. It should be enough of a departure from Harry Potter, even if it is from Merry Old England.

I'll order it today, and the Russian one too because it sounds interesting.

I love starting new projects!
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  09:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AMC

Me too - in fact, I was just thinking if we're moving on I'm going to start a "complain about your work" thread since on an ongoing basis that should generate quite a few posts.

*snort*

I could fill a page with my workplace. Some of the things that go on there....

Perhaps I'll join the reading group at a later time. I have soooo many books I've bought over the past few months that I just didn't have the heart to pick up.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  11:30:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't checked to see who found it, but I started a forum on First Floor for our non HP reading.

I'm not sure when I'll combine the topics here in the Restricted Ward with the Philosopher to Prince (Hallows later) topics. I'll try to hold off till next month or so, for our slower readers and/or posters. The Restricted Ward will then morph into something like a place for upcoming books by JKR and others. This is all in the planning stages, of course, so we'll see what happens.

There's a 1985 movie about DH Lawrence called "Coming Through." Stars Kenneth Brannagh and Helen Mirren. I don't know how accurate the bits about Lawrence are, but as I recall, it was pretty good.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  23:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pesky Pixie

Straight for the dirty book ... I should have known!

Was there any doubt?

My neice has been pestering me to take her to the library, so while we're there I'll look for LCL.

On a side note, I broke down and bought Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell. It was only $3.99 for the hardback so it was too cheap to pass up. Even if I don't get around to reading it, it will look pretty on my bookshelf.

Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  12:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myf, I'll miss you. Please, try to stop by once in a while.

I like the "complain about your work" thread. I could write a whole novel about that.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic   
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.