OotP Movie Version of SWM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  15:26:22  Show Profile Send Siobhan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did the treatment of Snape's Worst Memory affect how you felt about the Marauders after the movie, and did you feel the same way about them after the book?

It feels to me that the way they handled it (so quickly and with so little emphasis on Harry's reaction to seeing it) makes it easier to continue to like James and co.
I wonder if JKR had a say in that.... It has been said elsewhere on the boards that she may have underestimated the effect that scene had on readers.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  16:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The movie has never affected my feelings of the marauders. I think the books though knocked them off the pedestal that Harry had them on a little. Nobody's perfect and Harry realizes that everyone has bad moments in their life that they're not proud of. We've all had moments of petty gossiping or meanness, but that doesn't mean we're horrible people.

My sister's kids, who have never read the books don't quite understand the Marauders subplot in the movies. The animosity between James and Snape, the marauders being animagi, etc. I've had to explain it to them after the movies. It seems like one of the weaker spots of the films.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

dobbygirl
Barmy

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  09:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it was just a little too short in the movie. It's a blink and you miss it scene. I haven't talked to anyone who's only seen the movies about the scene. I think if they had let it play out a little more, it would've given a better understanding as to why Snape hates Harry so much.

Proud member of SINUS

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  16:15:26  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

Did the treatment of Snape's Worst Memory affect how you felt about the Marauders after the movie, and did you feel the same way about them after the book?

It feels to me that the way they handled it (so quickly and with so little emphasis on Harry's reaction to seeing it) makes it easier to continue to like James and co.
I wonder if JKR had a say in that.... It has been said elsewhere on the boards that she may have underestimated the effect that scene had on readers.

As I said on the "James" thread, I do think that Jo was probably surprised at how much SWM changed people's views of the Marauders, although I was never one of their fans even before that point. It would be interesting to know if she had input into this scene. As it is, the plot arc of DH shows that she didn't want the Marauder's treatment of Snape to be much of character-determiner for Snape. We are supposed to believe that his problem is prejudice--not a reaction to bullying.

I think my grieving process is over and I am becoming more resigned to the fact that--given JKR's attitude towards Snape--what DH does to Snape is a lot better than it could have been.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

WriteThisDown
Giddy

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  15:18:39  Show Profile  Visit WriteThisDown's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. I agree with those who are saying that SWM was far too short in the film version of OotP. You knew that something bad had happened.

But I also think it's worthy to note that after DH, I think I realized why that day was his worst memory. It was the day he lost Lily, really. And I think the memory of being assaulted by James and Co. like that is important, but I also think that JKR planted that particular scene as one of her classic red herrings that usually has more meaning later. So really, in Book 5 we're meant to think it's about the Marausers, but in Book 7 we realize it's more about Lily.

Perfectly good opportunities may be wasted on selfish whims, even if those whims are subconscious.

Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  18:31:32  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WriteThisDown
But I also think it's worthy to note that after DH, I think I realized why that day was his worst memory. It was the day he lost Lily, really. And I think the memory of being assaulted by James and Co. like that is important, but I also think that JKR planted that particular scene as one of her classic red herrings that usually has more meaning later. So really, in Book 5 we're meant to think it's about the Marausers, but in Book 7 we realize it's more about Lily.

Definitely. And I just want to say that I actually thought it was a lot about Lily and his interaction with her long before DH. It was just too weird that Snape NEVER said anything about Harry's mom while he mentioned James all the time. I wasn't sure if it was love or just close friendship, but I was 90% certain that Lily was important to Snape.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

WriteThisDown
Giddy

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  08:54:50  Show Profile  Visit WriteThisDown's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I never thought about that, Sunset. Good observation...!

Perfectly good opportunities may be wasted on selfish whims, even if those whims are subconscious.

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  16:18:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sunsethill
...And I just want to say that I actually thought it was a lot about Lily and his interaction with her long before DH. It was just too weird that Snape NEVER said anything about Harry's mom while he mentioned James all the time. I wasn't sure if it was love or just close friendship, but I was 90% certain that Lily was important to Snape.
Me too. What did it for me was SWM. We KNOW that wasn't the only time James and company attacked Snape. He reacts far too fast in that scene - "as though he was expecting to be attacked". So the "worst memory" had to be something else and the only other major element in the scene was Lily.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 08/21/2007 16:19:14
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  11:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My original point was that the treatment of canon SWM lead us to rethink James and company the same way Harry did. Perhaps it was surprising how strongly most readers reacted (though Jo shouldn't have been as we experienced it with Harry's perception) and that the movie version of this scene and Harry's subsequent reaction to it was dampered, posibily with Jo's involvement, in order to keep it in "proper" perspective. In the book I would say it is one of the most important scenes. In the movie, it was just a split second of "young Snape once had a rotten day."

If I hadn't read the book, SWM!movie version would have barely registered. I would have had little to say about the Marauders, but would probably think them to be the equals of Fred and George-- practical jokers that were never intentionally mean. The link with Lily was missing, too, so how are they going to pull that one out of the hat?

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  13:30:43  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
If I hadn't read the book, SWM!movie version would have barely registered. I would have had little to say about the Marauders, but would probably think them to be the equals of Fred and George-- practical jokers that were never intentionally mean. The link with Lily was missing, too, so how are they going to pull that one out of the hat?

I've been wondering that myself. I guess it will just come totally out of the blue and they will do several scenes from Snape's memory. Maybe redo SWM with Lily added, which wasn't in the memories given to Harry was it? Just the aftermath, right?

I think Rowling does think of the Marauders as pretty much Fred and George since Snape was such an "nasty" person. Remember what they did to Dudley? I'm wondering now if she got herself in trouble by trying to use the scene as misdirection to introduce Lily without readers recognizing that SHE was the important one--so she tried to direct us to believe the problem was the bullying. But the scene was so graphic, so mindlessly mean that it backfired on her.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  16:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sunsethill

quote:

I've been wondering that myself. I guess it will just come totally out of the blue and they will do several scenes from Snape's memory. Maybe redo SWM with Lily added, which wasn't in the memories given to Harry was it? Just the aftermath, right?
They've already filmed this (we've seen the still of Lily confronting James) so this would be easy to include in the final film.

quote:
My original point was that the treatment of canon SWM lead us to rethink James and company the same way Harry did. Perhaps it was surprising how strongly most readers reacted (though Jo shouldn't have been as we experienced it with Harry's perception) and that the movie version of this scene and Harry's subsequent reaction to it was dampered, posibily with Jo's involvement, in order to keep it in "proper" perspective. In the book I would say it is one of the most important scenes. In the movie, it was just a split second of "young Snape once had a rotten day."
They almost had to do this though, because movie!Snape is nowhere near the ogre that book!Snape is. He's not cuddly, but he'd never inspire serious hate. For those strictly movie!HP fans, Snape will still end up being a very sympathetic character. This is especially true since everyone going to see HBP-the-movie will know (or easily discover) that Snape kills DD on DD's orders. No one will spend years thinking the guy is evil because of this.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 08/22/2007 16:55:00
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  17:46:08  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theowyn
They almost had to do this though, because movie!Snape is nowhere near the ogre that book!Snape is. He's not cuddly, but he'd never inspire serious hate. For those strictly movie!HP fans, Snape will still end up being a very sympathetic character. This is especially true since everyone going to see HBP-the-movie will know (or easily discover) that Snape kills DD on DD's orders. No one will spend years thinking the guy is evil because of this.

Good point. I forget sometimes that there are people who just know the characters from the movie, and so they don't have the "hate" reaction to Snape. And also, almost everyone will know what is going on when DD dies in HBP. In a sense, it will put the emphasis where Rowling wanted it. All the hype before DH was about Snape. There won't be that hype for the movie, which would mean that they won't even really need all those memories of Snape's--just the information that Harry needs to die.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.