"My Boy Jack"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JamFish
Giddy

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  12:14:15  Show Profile Send JamFish a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Daniel Radcliffe shoots scenes for TV film My Boy Jack, based on the true story of how Rudyard Kipling tried to gain his son - who had poor eyesight - a commission with the Irish Guards.

I didn't actually recognise him at first - what a transformation!

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  14:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! I almost didn't recognise him either.

I wonder if they'll show it over here... maybe BBC America or HBO. I suppose it might make it on PBS.

imdb says this:
quote:
The year is 1913. War with Germany is imminent. Rudyard Kipling(David Haig), the British Empire's greatest apologist, is at the peak of his literary fame. This movie explores the nature of a man who loses his balance when devotion to family and country clash. World War I breaks out, and Kipling's son, Jack (Daniel Radcliffe), is determined to fight, but the Army and the Navy both reject him because of his extremely poor eyesight. Undaunted, Kipling uses his influence to land Jack a commission in the Irish Guards, sparking off a bitter family conflict. Jack goes to war and is reported missing, believed wounded, in his first action. The Kipling family live in vain hope for two years, before finally learning of Jack's death. The effect on Kipling is profound and irrevocable, as he struggles to confront his appalling sense of guilt and loss.

And, regarding a US showing:
quote:
Daniel Radcliffe will continue his forays into the non-magical world with a starring turn in an upcoming production of "Masterpiece Theatre."

The "Harry Potter" star will take the title role in "My Boy Jack," a production of Britain's ITV that will air as part of PBS' drama showcase in 2008, the network announced Wednesday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour. It's scheduled to premiere in the U.K. in November.
I believe the UK date is 11 November. Very fitting.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  15:00:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He looks so adult here. In HP, he still a boy, but maybe it's the uniform.

Siobhan, according to HPANA, PBS had bought the rights to the show the movie in it's Masterpiece Theater series.

Hehe, I'm such a Seasame Street nerd because everytime I see Masterpiece Theater I think of Cookie Monster and his Monsterpiece Theater

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Myf
Confunded

571 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  17:26:28  Show Profile  Visit Myf's Homepage  Click to see Myf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I saw the preview for Dan's other film, The December Boys, and I was very surprised to see that Dan's doing an Australian accent for it, and (AMAZING) is actually pulling it off pretty well.

If you're looking for trouble you found it.
Professor Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

JamFish
Giddy

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  03:38:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myf, when's that due out? I've been waiting for it for ages!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.