Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  17:52:18  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee

Yeah, I must admit that by the time they got themselves into hot water at the Lovegoods', I thought "Oh no, not AGAIN." I was wishing at this point that they could put at least one plan into action without everything going horribly wrong.

Ditto! I was really getting tired of Super!Hermione by this point. But I kind of think we went to see Mr. Lovegood because of what I mentioned on another thread--Rowling seems to really love Luna. She wanted to give Luna more background so we could love her even more.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  00:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sunsethill

quote:
Originally posted by Bee

Yeah, I must admit that by the time they got themselves into hot water at the Lovegoods', I thought "Oh no, not AGAIN." I was wishing at this point that they could put at least one plan into action without everything going horribly wrong.

Ditto! I was really getting tired of Super!Hermione by this point. But I kind of think we went to see Mr. Lovegood because of what I mentioned on another thread--Rowling seems to really love Luna. She wanted to give Luna more background so we could love her even more.
Yeah, but couldn't they have just had tea and chatted for a while and then left? Why did it have to turn into yet another run-in with DEs and why did Lovegood have to be such a lout?

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  10:53:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aw, don't be so hard on old Xenophilius, Theo. He was worried about his beloved daughter. I think we all would have been given the situation. What ticked me about it was that although I sat there with narrowed eyes wondering why he was being so cagey about where Luna was, the Wonder Trio had no clue anything was fishy.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  11:28:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

Aw, don't be so hard on old Xenophilius, Theo. He was worried about his beloved daughter. I think we all would have been given the situation. What ticked me about it was that although I sat there with narrowed eyes wondering why he was being so cagey about where Luna was, the Wonder Trio had no clue anything was fishy.

Well, they never do, do they? Harry and Ron are always clueless and Hermione can't catch everything. To be fair, they don't know Lovegood all that well and he is an odd duck. I don't hate the old guy, either. I know he was worried about Luna. Still, handing over three of her friends to what was sure to be certain death for one and prison for the others, that's not exactly admirable.

Of course, most of the adults in DH don't come across well. There's DD and Lupin, Molly admitting to being desperate for a daughter, McGonagall using Unforgivable Curses. I wonder if JKR was feeling a bit cynical or if she thinks this is a more "grown up" view of people.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  12:51:38  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theowyn
Of course, most of the adults in DH don't come across well. There's DD and Lupin, Molly admitting to being desperate for a daughter, McGonagall using Unforgivable Curses. I wonder if JKR was feeling a bit cynical or if she thinks this is a more "grown up" view of people.

That info about Molly also bothered me. Hmm. Thinking now. Did any adult come out better after DH? At first I thought Fleur did, but the end of HBP did a pretty good job of rehabilitating her. Bill stayed the same. I know--Trelawney did! We get to see her non-misty-eyed and beaning DEs with crystal balls. You go girl!

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  16:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thinking now. Did any adult come out better after DH?

Regulus did, if you want to count him as an adult. And Slughorn.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  17:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think Regulus counts as an adult. He was what, 19 when he died? Horace aquitted himself well, though. And of course, Snape came out for the better.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  13:01:42  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn8
Regulus did, if you want to count him as an adult. And Slughorn.

I had forgotten Slughorn. He definitely came out better than expected. As far as I can tell, he stands alone as the only Slytherin on the side of good who did not need "redemption." And Regulus was fantastic also, but I agree he wasn't one of the adult characters--just like I don't really count Percy as one of the "adult" characters.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  11:26:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must admit I was quite puzzled about Aberforth. I quite liked him even though he told Harry better not to follow Dumbledore's wishes. I think this has a lot to do with the old feud between the Dumbledore brothers. I just wonder why Albus told the trio and Hagrid he wasn't sure whether his brother could read at all.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1483 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  15:30:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked Aberforth too, for the most part. I think it's because he actually stood up to Albus and he followed his own drummer. He was a little wishy-washy about fighting, though, but he came through in the end after he thought about it more. But it was still on his own terms.

Do you think Aberforth could read? I don't remember if this was ever really established.
Go to Top of Page

Wizard from Milan
Barmy

236 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  15:37:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pesky Pixie
Do you think Aberforth could read?

I don't think he could.

Where I think DD's lie lies about his brother is in one of the previous books when he says he is friendly with the Hogshead barman. I don't think that is true (not for Aberforth part at least).
Go to Top of Page

Wizard from Milan
Barmy

236 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  15:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
What I'm finding, Bee, which is interesting to me is that I was pretty happy with the book on the first reading, but as I have thought about it, I have become more dissatisfied.

Same here. I think that as a book it is working really well (a part a few pages here and there) and so it is satisfying, but the moral of the hole tale is so unpalatable, so far from the correct way of thinking about life that dissatisfaction is growing
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  15:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not bothered about the moral of the tale, I'm bothered that I feel the tale isn't finished. So much was set up and then ignored in the last book. It is a great read, but afterwards, you feel dissatisfied.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."

Edited by - Starling on 09/16/2007 15:53:46
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  16:04:50  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starling

I'm not bothered about the moral of the tale, I'm bothered that I feel the tale isn't finished. So much was set up and then ignored in the last book. It is a great read, but afterwards, you feel dissatisfied.

Thw holes in the plot become more obvious when you're not bowling along wanting to know what happens next. And I did really enjoy so many of the humorous parts. But, as you say Starling, I keep thinking "but what about...?" or thinking "Hey, that doesn't make sense..." All the dissecting that really worked for Books 1 through 6 just isn't working for Book 7. But I am trying to concentrate on the aspects and questions that are a little more positive lately. The HPCS Psych Ward has helped me deal with some of the unresolved anger.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  21:12:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thw holes in the plot become more obvious when you're not bowling along wanting to know what happens next. And I did really enjoy so many of the humorous parts. But, as you say Starling, I keep thinking "but what about...?" or thinking "Hey, that doesn't make sense..."
I took my time reading the book, and felt all those things while I read. Dissatisfaction was evident to me immediately-- I felt deflated and a trifle guilty for not thinking it was great. Perhaps that's why I went ahead and shelved it this weekend-- just couldn't get interested a re-read yet. I knew that I hadn't missed anything and if I looked, I wouldn't find what I was hoping for.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  09:34:11  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan
Perhaps that's why I went ahead and shelved it this weekend-- just couldn't get interested a re-read yet. I knew that I hadn't missed anything and if I looked, I wouldn't find what I was hoping for.

I haven't been able to work myself up to a reread either. Maybe I'll get there in a few weeks, but right now I have gone back to reading fanfiction.

I have a 14 yo son who loves HP and has frequently asked me for FF recommendations, but I realized pretty quickly that he wouldn't enjoy most of what I read because the stories dealt with more "adult" themes--not as in sex, but as in adult concerns. For example, he read HPEW and liked it O.K., but wasn't thrilled as I was.

So now that DH has turned out to "be a children's book afer all" (as the reviewer you linked commented, Siobhan), I am finding at this point that I have turned to fanfiction again to bring out some of the themes and issues I thought would at least be hinted at in DH, but weren't. And as Theo said elsewhere, "children's book" doesn't have to mean "glaring plot holes", but in addition to those, I found DH just left many thematic problems for this adult reader. But, as I said previously, I am consciously trying to enjoy the aspects that I can enjoy right now--and look to fanfiction to scratch the itches that Rowling missed.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Cour_Delafleur
Confunded

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  11:27:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
more Neville jokes:

- Most people can slam doors. Neville can slam Floo Powder
- There is no night and day; it's Neville saying Lumos
- When Draco Malfoy found out he was worth a whole 1/12 of Neville, he cried for joy
- When Neville Apparates, he doesn't move -- the rest of the world shifts according to his design.
- "Voldemort killed yer parents, 'arry", said Hagrid. "And then 'e came upstairs for you. O'course, what 'e didn't know wuz that they wuz babysitting Neville at the time..."
- Originally, Professor Dumbledore was going to have Neville Longbottom guard the Sorcerer's Stone. But he couldn't figure out how to defeat him to get it back, so he went with plan B.
- Neville was standing on the Vatican balcony with the Pope and someone said “Who’s that up there with Neville?”
- Neville Longbottom listens to Mandrake cries on his iPod for entertainment.
- Why did it take so long for Neville to develop magically? It didn't. Gran just couldn't tell that he was constantly obliviating her for fun.

"I think she's magic," said Nor.
________"You, you think everything's magic," Manek said. "Stupid girl."
____"Well, everything is," said Nor. - Wicked

Order of the Bookmark
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  14:34:51  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cour_Delafleur

more Neville jokes:

Cour, the jokes are funny. But I think your icon is funnier.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  14:55:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Neville jokes a great.
One more:
When Neville jumps into a lake, he doesn't become wet. The water becomes Neville.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.