Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

msulizzy11
Addled

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  09:50:17  Show Profile  Click to see msulizzy11's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
OK, I flipped through last night and did find Charlie at the Burrow for the wedding, and also mentioned once during the battle as over-taking some random DE....so I guess it's okay.

Whatev.

If John Lennon were alive today and Beatles Mania was going on now, would he say "We're bigger than Harry Potter"? I think he would...and then he'd do some song about giving peace a chance in the name of Dumbeldore!!

Order of the Bookmark
Fred Weasley We Salute You

"Not since George Bush decided to invade Iraq over weapons of mass destruction has the world been so engrossed with a fantasy story."
- Sydney Morning Herald July 18, 2007 Re: Harry Potter

Edited by - msulizzy11 on 08/30/2007 09:55:17
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  17:06:57  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by msulizzy11

[green]OK, I flipped through last night and did find Charlie at the Burrow for the wedding, and also mentioned once during the battle as over-taking some random DE....so I guess it's okay.

Whatev.

You know, I used to think I was a pretty careful reader, but there were so many things in this book that just whizzed by with no impression on my brain. I think it was too fried trying to figure out what was going on with the wands. Glad to know Charlie was actually there.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  15:33:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course Charlie was there, his mum gave him a forced haircut (and he probably snuck back downstairs to regrow his hair).

I'm glad I took 2 days to read DH, I seem to have picked up more than the speedreaders.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  02:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starling, I took my good old slow time reading...three days. I did that with every new HP book since GoF. With the wait and hype, I didn't want to finish any of them too soon. I'm so sad when I finish a favorite book of mine. Weird, I know, but I'm like that with any book I love.

Current location: Laying low at Lupin's
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  08:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really admire your self-discipline, Jo. Before I start a new book I that have been waiting for for(quite sime time I anm always determined to take time to read it. But it just never works. I just can't read it slowly.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  17:22:21  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I took about 11 hours to read it--definitely not speed reading as I know of those who read it in under 2 hours. I can't fathom that particularly. I think maybe I was tired from too little sleep after the midnight release and that caused me to miss small points, but it still seems like too much stuff just whizzed by or slipped by completely.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  21:30:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speed isn't something to brag about with a good book.

I think if you read it in 2 hours then you didn't read it, just skimmed. That's less than 10 seconds per page. How can you enjoy that? No wonder there were so many unsatisfied readers. I wanted to savor the experience so I read slowly. I love to be immersed into the story when I read something I love, so I try to do the conversations in my head in real time, like if they were here in person. Do you understand that? That's the closest thing I can come to explain my fiction reading experience. Sort of like falling into a pensieve. Similar to the speed if you're listening to a story orally read. Now nonfiction I read totally differently. That I do with some speed. But I'm one of those who once I start I can't put a book down, so I'll devour books in one sitting and ignore everything else going on around me.

Uni, I forgot to let slip, that while I take my time reading, I'm also notorious for peeking at the end while I'm reading. I'm proud of myself, though, with DH because I did no peeking! I was a very good girl.

Edited by - Jokelly on 09/03/2007 21:37:50
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  12:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So was the general consensus dissatisfaction?

I've been trying to get a handle on that, but the professional criticism I've found so far is rather blah-- more like book reports than reviews. I was sure there would be a group of fans that were determined to like whatever they were given, but is there a general feeling throughout the rest of fandom? Is it split?

Well, according to Leaky, DH has fullfilled everyfan's dream. They quote a poll as saying that DH is the readers' favorite.

I found this review and following comments interesting, though:http://rossdouthat.theatlantic.com/archives/2007/07/the_deathly_hallows.php

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  13:07:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know. I get the feeling that there's a certain amount of dissatisfaction, but I try to steer clear of it, because my instinctive reaction was that I LOVE this book, and I don't want to lose that by raking it over the coals too much. I'm not interested in finding fault with it, just enjoying it. And I'm finding it stands up under re-reading, so yay!

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Haggy is (probably not) Cactus!
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  16:55:09  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee

I don't know. I get the feeling that there's a certain amount of dissatisfaction, but I try to steer clear of it, because my instinctive reaction was that I LOVE this book, and I don't want to lose that by raking it over the coals too much. I'm not interested in finding fault with it, just enjoying it. And I'm finding it stands up under re-reading, so yay!

What I'm finding, Bee, which is interesting to me is that I was pretty happy with the book on the first reading, but as I have thought about it, I have become more dissatisfied. I think I will enjoy a reread of DH because there were so many good parts (Dobby, rescuing the dragon, etc.) and so many funny parts, but it definitely isn't my favorite book of the series. I guess I will have to decide the final order after I get through the read-alouds with my younger children. Of course, that will take a while since we are just finishing up PS/SS.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  17:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan

Well, according to Leaky, DH has fullfilled everyfan's dream. They quote a poll as saying that DH is the readers' favorite.

They haven't been reading their own boards then, because there's a ton of dissatisfaction at the Lounge.

To be honest, I think it's the favorite because it's the newest. Each new volume has been the favorite in turn. It's going to take a while before most people will be able to go back and objectively rate the books.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  10:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was an MSN poll, so I don't really fault the Leaky for posting the news. But it does seem that Leaky has lost a bit of it's objectivity sometimes. I tried looking at the Lounge for reactions, but just didn't have time to sift through all the categories and topics and posts-- goes back to the sheer size of the place vs. the amount of time I have to spend at any given moment.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  13:53:12  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I tried looking at the Lounge for reactions, but just didn't have time to sift through all the categories and topics and posts-- goes back to the sheer size of the place vs. the amount of time I have to spend at any given moment.

Amen to that! That's one of the reasons I love this place. Anywhere else, there's no way I can make any sort of contribution to a discussion because by the time I type my response, there have been thirty more messages.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  14:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried to post on the Leaky Lounge some time ago, but the place is to huge and overcrowded. It is impossible to keep track of a discussion when you do not have enough time to go there every day.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page

msulizzy11
Addled

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  21:12:16  Show Profile  Click to see msulizzy11's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have to say that on a whole I'm extremely satisfied with DH. I would go so far as to say I was in love with it, and it's my favourite. Perhaps I feel this way because it was the most satisfying as it is the finale. It's the end all and be all. We are left with loads to debate about and critique and I have to say I find that my favourite part.

Of course, of course I'm sad that it's over, but I really don't feel it yet bc we're still in the discussion period and there's something new to talk about every day. It hasn't stopped exsisting just because the series is finished.

I used to say that POA was my fave, but I haven't read it in a really long time so it's hard to say lol.

Order of the Bookmark

"Not since George Bush decided to invade Iraq over weapons of mass destruction has the world been so engrossed with a fantasy story."
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  11:35:06  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The review Siobhan linked earlier brought to my conscious mind a feeling that I had only been thinking subconsciously for a while. One of the things I realized I didn't like about DH was that I really, really missed Hogwarts. The reviewer mentioned that Rowling started with a Boarding School story and had trouble with doing a Harry Potter plot not centered around Hogwarts. I'm not really arguing that here, but emotionally I realized that I had "Hogwarts withdrawal" after DH. I would have loved to see the teachers dealing with the Carrows. I would have loved to see Snape being battily ambiguous. I would have loved to see Ginny and Luna and Neville at work in the castle. I just missed Hogwarts!

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Jokelly
Barking

USA
1509 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  11:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I missed Hogwarts, too. I knew at some point they had to return and it would all go down there. I was just wishing they would have gone a little earlier.

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  16:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See, I didn't miss Hogwarts at all... until they went back and I realised how much of the action Harry (and therefore we) had been missing. I would love to read more about what had been going on in Harry's absence.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  17:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee

See, I didn't miss Hogwarts at all... until they went back and I realised how much of the action Harry (and therefore we) had been missing. I would love to read more about what had been going on in Harry's absence.
This was my problem, too. Rather than twiddle our thumbs on that Neverending Campout, I'd like to have popped round to Hogwarts where so much was taking place. If there was ever a time for a change in pov, this was it.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

msulizzy11
Addled

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  19:39:58  Show Profile  Click to see msulizzy11's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theowyn

This was my problem, too. Rather than twiddle our thumbs on that Neverending Campout, I'd like to have popped round to Hogwarts where so much was taking place. If there was ever a time for a change in pov, this was it.

I agree with both Theo and Bee. I'm re-reading PS and it's just sooo nice to see innocent Hogwarts again. I really, really love the awe Harry feels in getting introduced to this new world and finally feeling at home. It's really hard to travel and still feel comfortable. They also didn't have a shower...for like...months. But I still feel an overall satisfaction knowing that everything worked out okay. And I'm content hearing from Jo in blogs, webchats, etc what happened to lead to the Epilogue (that may or may not have been written in crayon) it still allows our minds to wander. I think because Neville turned out to be such a BAMF and Ginny is Harry's lobster we're slightly disappointed not to see their battles as well as the trio.

Oh oh! Totally forgot I had some random questions/comments after re-reading PS. If you can answer, awesome. If not, it's ok they're going out into the infinite abyss.

1. Is there a school for magical kids pre-Hogwarts? i.e. how do they learn to read, do maths, geography etc etc. Are they all homeschooled?!?!

2. Hagrid has Sirius's bike after Harry's parents bite it, soooo shouldn't they know he's a good guy? I know the whole Wormtail "murder" happened a bit later, but Dumbledore or Hagrid would have spoken to him and known he was cool...right?

3. In DH everyone is surprised that Voldy flies w.o. a broom (because they thought it couldn't be done??) and yet Harry aged 10 "flies" to the top of the school roof running from Dud's gang, and Lily is shown floating after jumping off the swing in the Snape Flashback. Soooo....wtf??

4. Petunia mentioned that Lily did magic during Holidays from school...shouldn't she have gotten in loads of trouble for that like Harry? Her fam was one of the muggle exceptions, sure, but so were the Dursleys!

That's all I can think of for now.

Order of the Bookmark

Edited by - msulizzy11 on 09/06/2007 22:21:03
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  00:40:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

1. Is there a school for magical kids pre-Hogwarts? i.e. how do they learn to read, do maths, geography etc etc. Are they all homeschooled?!?!
Per one of JKR's old interviews, there are no wizard schools pre-Hogwarts. Kids either go to Muggle schools or are home-schooled.

quote:
2. Hagrid has Sirius's bike after Harry's parents bite it, soooo shouldn't they know he's a good guy? I know the whole Wormtail "murder" happened a bit later, but Dumbledore or Hagrid would have spoken to him and known he was cool...right?
No. Sirius gave Hagrid the bike at Godric's Hollow right after the Potters died and before Hagrid realized that Sirius was supposedly the SK who had betrayed Lily and James. They never saw Sirius again as he was arrested the next day.

quote:
3. In DH everyone is surprised that Voldy flies w.o. a broom (because they thought it couldn't be done??) and yet Harry aged 10 "flies" to the top of the school roof running from Dud's gang, and Lily is shown floating after jumping off the swing in the Snape Flashback. Soooo....wtf??
Levitating up to a roof or after jumping off a swing isn't quite the same flying off into the sunset. This may also be the difference between uncontrolled adolescent magic and learned magic. Kids seem to be able to spontaneously do all sorts of things that they later lose the ability to do.

quote:
4. Petunia mentioned that Lily did magic during Holidays from school...shouldn't she have gotten in loads of trouble for that like Harry? Her fam was one of the muggle exceptions, sure, but so were the Dursleys!
This was probably an error on JKR's part, but we can also easily put it down to Lily doing magic in the park or elsewhere away from home. It wouldn't have been possible under those circumstances for MoM to know who had performed the magic and Petunia wouldn't have known the difference.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  13:16:26  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
This was probably an error on JKR's part, but we can also easily put it down to Lily doing magic in the park or elsewhere away from home. It wouldn't have been possible under those circumstances for MoM to know who had performed the magic and Petunia wouldn't have known the difference.

But didn't Harry get in mega-trouble for doing a patronus out in the street? They track him with his wand, apparently, so how DID Lily get away with it?

quote:

Do you mean Snape rather than Voldemort, msulizzy, because I'm still a little confused by that scene myself. Snape jumps out the window--and then what happens? At first, I thought he had become a bat animagus and that brought on a snort. But then as I reread, that doesn't seem to be the case. He does seem to fly without a broom. Is that what we're supposed to believe?

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  13:23:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Voldemort was doing it too. He flew sans broom in pursuit of the real Harry. Everyone seemed taken aback by that little feat. Then Snape did it when he fled Hogwarts. This makes me wonder if this another of the Prince's inventions. He may have come up with it while Voldemort was busy thinking up his fiendish plans. I'm sure brownie points would be awarded for such ingenuity-- as long as the individual were properly servile.

s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  16:39:37  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Voldemort was doing it too. He flew sans broom in pursuit of the real Harry. Everyone seemed taken aback by that little feat. Then Snape did it when he fled Hogwarts. This makes me wonder if this another of the Prince's inventions. He may have come up with it while Voldemort was busy thinking up his fiendish plans. I'm sure brownie points would be awarded for such ingenuity-- as long as the individual were properly servile.

I guess I just totally missed the whole flying-without-a-broom thing. Now there's another brand new thing in DH. Yeah, I'll just assume the HBP figured it out. Yeah, that sounds good to me.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

msulizzy11
Addled

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  23:30:54  Show Profile  Click to see msulizzy11's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Theo, that was very helpful

Voldy def. flies during the Harry(X7) Transfer. Right where Harry's wand pwns Lucious's wand. I also noticed a while ago in the movie, that Voldy makes Quirrel fly to attack Harry in front of the Mirror of Erised. Now, sure that's the movie and there's loads of errors and edits, but...just saying. It shouldn't be such a big deal in DH.

I know JKR's not perfect

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  09:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Bee

Noooooooooooo, not at the expense of the camping!!!

Was I the only one who loved the Neverending Campout?

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  15:52:29  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bee

Noooooooooooo, not at the expense of the camping!!!

Was I the only one who loved the Neverending Campout?

Bee, while I was reading the book, I really didn't mind it. The phrase "Neverending Campout" just cracked me up. But by the end of the book, when I realized all the things we didn't get to see, I decided that maybe we could have camped out less and visited Hogwarts--or something else--more.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

msulizzy11
Addled

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  19:30:25  Show Profile  Click to see msulizzy11's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, on second reading I guess it wasn't really that long of a camp-out...only like, 6 chapters or something.

Does anyone else feel like they didn't need to go see Mr. Lovegood at all!! Hermione (and Ron) should have been able to figure that whole story out. I did like going to see Luna's room with her portraits of her friends, but the house layout still confuses me (it was round right??)

I'm realizing now too, that part of the problem is that the plot wasn't a straigt shot to the climax. There were a lot of ups and downs. Godric's Hollow Up, Destory the Locket Up, hang out and go to Lovegood's Down, get caught, go to Malfoy's Up, go to Bill and Fleur's to plot Down.

It's fun to look back at the first books and catch the bits of foreshadowing for not only the end of the individual books, but the end of the series as well. For example after Harry is discovered at the Mirror of Erised Dumbledore says, "now if you should ever come across it in the future you'll be prepared." Which aludes to having to get the Philosopher's Stone AND because he's preparing Harry for his life of fighting Voldy only to have to die. And then after Dumbledore tells him he sees himself getting socks it says someting like, "only after going to bed did Harry realize Dubmledore may not have been entirely truthful." Which we didn't find out what he would see until DH. It's the little things that you forget as you're waiting for the series to end, but looking back, they scream at you!

Order of the Bookmark

Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  22:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sunsethill

quote:

But didn't Harry get in mega-trouble for doing a patronus out in the street? They track him with his wand, apparently, so how DID Lily get away with it?
Frankly, I consider this a plothole in OotP and to be honest, the prohibition against underage magic never really functions consistently throughout the books. I can understand the restriction on the use of magic by Muggle-borns in order to prevent havoc in households where the parents can't control their children's magic. This would make the mix-up between Harry and Dobby understandable since the ministry would just be monitoring Muggle homes for magic use. So far, so good. But step out into the streets and all bets are off. Any wizard could be wandering around. And the idea that, at the Weasleys, Harry's magic could be picked out - that's just weird and smacks of a deus ex machina.
quote:

[green]Yeah, on second reading I guess it wasn't really that long of a camp-out...only like, 6 chapters or something.
Lol! Was that all? You're being generous though. From the time they flee 12GP at the end of ch14 up until they get taken to Malfoy Manor at the end of ch22 is eight chapters. Plus, the time spent at 12GP is really just camping indoors - it has the same feel to it - and that starts in ch9. This gives us fourteen chapters of the trio living on their own, worrying about going to the grocery or scavenging their next meal.
quote:
Does anyone else feel like they didn't need to go see Mr. Lovegood at all!!
ME!! It just seemed like one more way to put the trio in danger and have them escape by the skin of their teeth. After Privet Drive, the wedding, the restaurant, the Ministry, Godrics Hollow, the Lovegoods', Malfoy Manor, Gringotts and Hogsmeade (have I forgotten any?), that plot device wore awfully thin.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 09/09/2007 23:22:14
Go to Top of Page

Bee
Mediwizard

846 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  10:07:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I must admit that by the time they got themselves into hot water at the Lovegoods', I thought "Oh no, not AGAIN." I was wishing at this point that they could put at least one plan into action without everything going horribly wrong.

Order of the Bookmark
Purveyor of Fine Peebles
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.