New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  12:37:03  Show Profile Send Siobhan a Private Message
OK so spoilers are an issue. Everyone seems to disagree on how much spoiling is acceptable.

Here's my viewpoint.
Teaser spoilers are harmless as long as they are properly labeled as such and if posted in invisible text (see How to Post Under an Invisiblity Cloak). Subsequent discussion will be carried on in invisible text for the first couple of pages to protect those who accidentally stumble upon a spoiler topic despite the warnings. Another warning will be made that the spoilers are going naked (not invisible) and it will also be added to the topic title.

Teaser spoilers are things such as chapter titles or the first paragraph. They do not tell anything terribly important but do fuel speculation. Leaks by their nature are not necessarily true. Keeping that in mind, those who wish to be teased may speculate upon them to their hearts' content and those who wish to remain unspoiled may do so by exercising self restraint. The only way around this would be to make the spoilers password protected, which I'm not even sure I could do, and which it seems is going a bit far for a group of mature individuals as we are. So, in short, if you do not want to be spoiled, do not look at the sections marked SPOILERS. In fact, to be safe, you should not look in the Restricted Section at all-- or be on the internet-- or in public for that matter.

Major spoilers such as full text leaks or links to such will be deleted.

There is a balance to maintain here between enjoyment and an institutional lockdown. Exercise your willpower and good judgment. We can all bear these last few days in our own fashion if we all work together.

This post is being PM'd to everyone, so please clear it out of you Private Message box. To access PM's go to the link at the upper right of the main page and click "private message". This takes you to your inbox where you can click the message to read then delete.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non

Siobhan
Chief Healer

USA
2157 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  11:33:13  Show Profile
I've decided to widen the scope of this topic a bit in order to head off any difficulties. In the past we, as a group, have from time to time discussed political issues. I know this is an area of contention and discomfort for some.

At the time of this post, we have one topic on the Inherently Random board devoted to political discussion which I have tagged with a warning. I realize that not everyone agrees with everyone else on political issues. That is the nature of things. However, I see no reason to let that stop us from discussing those issues if we can be mature and civil about it. There's plenty of room for disagreement and discussion.
If, however, someone does object to the political views expressed, or to political discussion on a HP board, and feels they cannot take part in the discussion, then there is a simple way around that-- please don't click on the topic or read it. That is the purpose of the warning in the topic title. Political discussion here is not meant to be taken personally by anyone. It is not meant to alienate anyone either. These boards are small but our group is international and varried. Other viewpoints are interesting and can be enriching.

So once again, if you do not wish to take part in the political discussion, please try not to be offended by its existence. I will do my best to keep all political discussion within that one topic with the warning.

Deliberatley causing mayhem in Snape's Potions class.
Member of the HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e. qua non
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.