Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Starling
Confunded

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  13:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But Snape's Worst Memory in the movie completely fails to show what Snape's worst memory actually was. It wasn't being bullied by the Marauders, it was falling out with Lily, who wasn't even in the scene.

I wuv multicoloured werewolf puppies.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  12:12:09  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starling

But Snape's Worst Memory in the movie completely fails to show what Snape's worst memory actually was. It wasn't being bullied by the Marauders, it was falling out with Lily, who wasn't even in the scene.

Yes, I wondered about this, too, Starling. I figured that Rowling didn't insist because she is still hoping that those who only see the movies can be totally blown away with the idea that Snape loved Lily. Most die-hard fans of the books figured this out--which I think irritated Jo who wanted it to be a major surprise.

As far as the movies are concerned, they will probably want to redo that scene with the missing element when they stage DH since they will also need to shoot the after SWM break-up scene and then the actor and actress can be the same age. Although, the boy who played Snape will be several years older. I wonder if he will be used again and still be able to pull off 15. Now that the Trio are past 15, they won't be changing as fast and should be able to pull off 16-18 just fine even at 20 years of age.

Order of the Bookmark
Member HPEW & HPCS Appreciation Society
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  14:24:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sunsethill

And Theo should like the fact that they totally avoided the whole Fidelius issue on Grimmauld Place! The movies won't have to change how that bit of magic works since they never talked about it. Moody just taps his cane to make the house appear.
Yes, let's hope they skip this whole messy business in DH as well.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Starling

Yes, I wondered about this, too, Starling. I figured that Rowling didn't insist because she is still hoping that those who only see the movies can be totally blown away with the idea that Snape loved Lily. Most die-hard fans of the books figured this out--which I think irritated Jo who wanted it to be a major surprise.

As far as the movies are concerned, they will probably want to redo that scene with the missing element when they stage DH since they will also need to shoot the after SWM break-up scene and then the actor and actress can be the same age. Although, the boy who played Snape will be several years older. I wonder if he will be used again and still be able to pull off 15. Now that the Trio are past 15, they won't be changing as fast and should be able to pull off 16-18 just fine even at 20 years of age.
I was thinking about this as well. I'm sure the actor and actress who play Severus and Lily would still be able to pull off sixteen in a couple of years. For that matter, I'm not sure they don't already have the footage they need in the can. I've seen at least one pic of Harry, James and Lily that never made it into OotP. I'm still not convinced though that movie!DH will even delve into Snape's memories at all. We may get this information in an entirely different way.

More than any other book, DH is going to be a nightmare to translate to film. The action sequences are no problem, but in between there's so much arcane information about the Deathly Hallows, DD's past, Snape's past, the Horcruxes... If they include all of that, it will kill the film. And that's even after chucking the weeks spent at 12GP and the endless camping trip as I fully expect them to do.

The screenwriters are going to have to take smart, creative liberties with the material to make it work. I expect them to pull it off and to correct the problems with the book just as they did with OotP. For instance, movie!OotP did away with capslock!Harry and gave us a far less annoying and more sympathetic character in his place. I expct movie!DH to smooth out the rough bits from DH as well, but it may require the most radical departure from the literal text that we've ever seen.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 10/18/2007 14:27:12
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  17:02:50  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theowyn
The screenwriters are going to have to take smart, creative liberties with the material to make it work. I expect them to pull it off and to correct the problems with the book just as they did with OotP. For instance, movie!OotP did away with capslock!Harry and gave us a far less annoying and more sympathetic character in his place. I expct movie!DH to smooth out the rough bits from DH as well, but it may require the most radical departure from the literal text that we've ever seen.

There are very few movies I have liked better than the book, but I fully expect to like DH MUCH more than the book. The action sequences should be awesome (though Nagina!Batilda may be one of the creepiest things ever), and they should have fun with the false Harry/Hermione scene and the juxtapostioning of Snape and his Bambi patronus. Maybe a good screen writer can help me understand the whole wand thing--which they won't be able to avoid, unlike the Secret Keeper mess.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  17:33:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe a good screen writer can help me understand the whole wand thing--which they won't be able to avoid, unlike the Secret Keeper mess.
Actually, I think they can and will.

The movie can't possibly include everything, so here's how I think the screenplay could be written in order to include all of the important plot without undue confusion and while coming in under 2 and 1/2 hours.

We'll skip the Dursleys and the Burrow entirely and begin with Harry arriving at 12GP where he'll meet up with Ron and Hermione. We'll get the intro dialogue that tells us about LV taking over, Snape becoming Headmaster and about Rita's book. They'll find Kreacher who will tell the story of Regulus and then give Harry the locket. Cut all references to Secret Keepers and the stupid hexes to keep Snape out of 12GP. Cut Lupin and Tonks's story. Cut the whole ministry bit with Umbridge.

The trio will then set off in search of the other Horcruxes, spurred on by Harry's visions. We'll get a scene of them camping where they get to discuss Rita's book about DD and Harry gets to angst a bit. Rita's book can also be our initial source of info on the Elder Wand, saying that DD was searching for it due to his thirst for power or some such. Hermione can expound on this by telling a modified version of the tale of the Three Brothers which naturally she knows and which will explain that the wizard who wields the Elder Wand is supposed to be invincible. Ron won't run off, but the doe will appear and lead Harry to the sword and we'll have the whole scene with Ron destroying the locket.

Next, the trio will get captured and taken to Malfoy manor. Here, they'll realize that the cup is in Bella's vault at Gringotts and escape, bringing any needed characters with them. Dobby will die. Peter will kill himself. Once safely away, they'll get more info on the Elder wand from Ollivander or some other convenient character. He'll explain that LV's after it and that it was last reputed to be with Grindelwald. Harry will realize that DD actually had the wand last. At some point in the exposition, the trio will also realize that the Ravenclaw Horcrux must be at Hogwarts. They'll make plans to go back to school, but first it's off to Gringotts with Griphook. Cut both Godrics Hollow and Mr. Lovegood.

At Gringott's, the trio will destroy the cup with GG's sword then take off on the dragon and make their way to Hogsmeade. They'll meet up with Aberforth and this is where we're likely to get the biggest departure from canon. The problem with Snape's memories is not the age of the actors involved, but the fact that The Prince's Tale and Harry's subsequent walk to his death, as written, aren't going to work on film. In the book, all of Harry's feelings during these chapters are described through his thoughts. That obviously won't work in the movie. Harry has to talk to someone and Aberforth is ideal for this role.

In addition to telling the trio about Albus's past, Aberforth will also give Harry the truth about Snape. This doesn't need to include anything about Lily. Instead he'll simply explain that Albus, with his clever plotting, got himself mortally wounded and maneuvered Snape into killing him in order to spare Draco and ensure Snape's place at LV's right hand. Harry will argue, furiously saying that Snape told LV the prophecy. But Aberforth will counter by saying that Snape, realizing what he'd done, couldn't stomach LV's evilness nor being responsible for destroying innocent lives and turned spy. Harry will realize that Snape is just like Regulus and is in fact on their side.

The trio will sneak into Hogwarts and meet up with hero!Neville and the DA. Percy will show up and redeem himself. Fred may or may not die. They'll do some fighting and destroy the diadem, with or without Malfoy's interference. LV will arrive on the grounds and steal the Elder wand from DD's tomb, then issue his ultimatum to Harry. The trio will sneak into the Shrieking shack and witness Nagini attack Snape. But rather than giving Harry his memories, Snape will tell Harry that he is the last Horcrux, before dying.

Stunned, Harry will realize that he must die. Ron and Hermione will try to talk him out of it and this will give him the chance to voice all those thoughts and feelings rattling around in his brain. He'll walk out to meet LV and be AK'd. Harry will awaken to meet DD who will explain that his self-sacrifice is stronger than any magic, even the Elder wand. Harry will re-awaken on the grounds of Hogwarts just as LV is declaring himself evil-overlord of the world. Neville will defiantly behead Nagini then Harry will leap up, whip out his wand and challenge LV. LV will try to kill him again, but Harry's purity of heart will protect him, causing LV's AK to backfire and destroy him. No tortured wand-loyalty explanations required!

The final scene will not be 19 years later, but a few days later. The trio along with Neville, Ginny and Luna will have a wrap up conversation, acknowledging the sacrifices of the (far fewer) people who died and alluding to the bright future before them. Cue warm smiles and fade to black.

And yes, I expect the movie to be MUCH better than the book, too.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"

Edited by - Theowyn on 10/18/2007 17:57:56
Go to Top of Page

sunsethill
Confunded

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  13:51:54  Show Profile  Visit sunsethill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Percy will show up and redeem himself. Fred may or may not die. They'll do some fighting and destroy the diadem, with or without Malfoy's interference.

Interesting synposis, Theo. I wonder if Rowling will allow them to make that many changes to the book. It would certainly be good to avoid the scene at Godric's Hollow with Nagini--might be hard to keep the rating down with that one. I would also think they might enjoy not freaking out the kiddies by killing Fred. And I predict that Malfoy will appear because so many people love Tom Felton and will want to see him in the story.

Order of the Bookmark
s.i.n.e qua non
Go to Top of Page

Theowyn
Looney

1078 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  15:41:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Percy will show up and redeem himself. Fred may or may not die. They'll do some fighting and destroy the diadem, with or without Malfoy's interference.

Interesting synposis, Theo. I wonder if Rowling will allow them to make that many changes to the book. It would certainly be good to avoid the scene at Godric's Hollow with Nagini--might be hard to keep the rating down with that one. I would also think they might enjoy not freaking out the kiddies by killing Fred. And I predict that Malfoy will appear because so many people love Tom Felton and will want to see him in the story.
I doubt that Rowling will have any objections to any of these changes as long as the main Harry plotline remains intact.

I think you make valid points about Fred not dying and about Draco being included. WB is going to be looking at the material from the pov of what's going to pull in the largest crowds, so they're likely to minimize the deaths and give screen time to the heart-throbs. By the same token, Draco may come off more heroic in the movie than in the book. I wouldn't be surprised to see him actually help Harry out a little bit.

Order of the Bookmark

s.i.n.e. qua non

"Always"
Go to Top of Page

Unicorn8
Barmy

Germany
319 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  11:05:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Theo, I am quite sure that the movie will almost exactly have the storyline you just described. I am not sure whether they'll cut the scenes in the MoM, but I agree with everything else you said.

Order of the Bookmark
Proud Member of S.I.N.E.

"Always"

WWLLD
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St Mungo's © 2010 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
HP Galleries Wing at St Mungo's is in no way affiliated with JK Rowling, her publishers, Warner Brothers, any of its partners within the Harry Potter franchise, or any religious or healthcare institution.